Guesting and Overflow [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Make all Timers the same on every server including overflow

Wham bam thank you mam

It’s been explained several times now why that isn’t possible. Less whamming and bamming, more reading.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

The reason for getting sent to overflow has very little to do with guesting.

Sure, guests make up a -small- part of the population problem, but the real issue at hand is that now everyone on a server are jumping into the same map at the same time because everyone wants to do world events now.

If this is really a problem for you, either guest in- or move to- a low population server.

Problem solved.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Sure, guests make up a -small- part of the population problem, but the real issue at hand is that now everyone on a server are jumping into the same map at the same time because everyone wants to do world events now.

If this is really a problem for you, either guest in- or move to- a low population server.

Problem solved.

There was an overflow in IoJ’s Shadow Behemoth event last night. IoJ is a low-population server. It’s quite epidemic in low-population servers too.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Your loot future:

For every 5 minutes played and at least on kill you get a: Low quality Chest (Avg Blues, but a very small chance at something big, always a chance at something big, multiple pieces per opening).

Every 15 minutes of play with at least 3 kills you will get a medium quality chest. (You get the picture. Little better loot all around.)

Every 1 hour and at least 12 kills you get a high quality chest.

ALL LOOT is level appropriate to your character. No if ands or buts.

The kills are so you can’t just AFK and receive loot.

The equalized chests are so that all in game content gives out the same loot, so people aren’t pulled to do the same things at the same time. Play as you like™.

So there, how do you like your MMO future? Since we are all horn-dogs for the best loot/min and just can’t resist, this is what you get. A ticket, a chest… We deserve this really.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/JQ-Tequatal-Finally-Crashed-Server/first#post1574582

“Together with all the reports of guesting causing massive lag issues on Meta events”
If guests are creating lag, it stands to reason they are also the reason for overflow.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

My two cents:

First, yes 0 guests and Overflows can still happen, but if guest beat natives to that zone, it will fill faster. So guesting can, and sometimes does, make things much worse. However, nobody would be bothering to do these events ASAP if the loot wasn’t increased.

Second, no you can’t globally sync event spawns. You’d have to remove all spawning windows and pre-events. When servers are taken down (maintenance and whatnot), every event and event chain is started. It is the time it takes them to be done and the windows that make the timing fall out of sync.

Third, we, the players, cannot setup timers for Overflows due to the fact that there can be any number of them at any given moment. Add in the only was to insure you get the Overflow you want is to have a group member already in it.

The servers themselves need to be looked at. Sure, we could make the events happen more often, but even the 30 min ones are getting Overflowed now. Personally, I think I’m done with bothering. There’s enough elsewhere that offers better total rewards.

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

One chest per boss per day should be ONE chest per boss per day. Guesting shouldn’t allow you to get another chest. It should be removed asap. Moreover, guests shouldn’t push people who actually play on that server into overflow.

Posted by: MrInfinit.1864

MrInfinit.1864

It’s reported and assumed that guests are creating the lag, I still don’t buy it. Seems like blaming guests is the easy thing to do, not the fact that there’s just a lot of people in general out doing these events. As for me, I’ll wait until ArenaNet actually states that guesting is to blame, and shall keep defending it until so!

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

I can’t even go to my own server to kill dragons yet players from other servers can guest to my server while i get put into the overflow. There should be priority on players from the home server over ones guesting

This. I don’t think it’s fair that I’m missing out on events because people guesting are taking up all the spots. I haven’t been able to do Shadow Behemoth in 2 days, because I’m constantly put into overflow. I missed Teq last night, too, because of overflow.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

It’s the guesting that’s causing the overflow. They’re abusing an exploit that allows them to break the one-chest-per-day limit on World Events. If they hadn’t bothered implementing that ridiculous policy in the first place, it wouldn’t be happening.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Pants.8315

Just remove the option to get another chest on each boss when guesting. One chest per boss per day, regardless of you guesting onto other servers. Problem solved.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

If you have a friend in the real server, go to his party and you are able to join him in the real server. Just right click his name and press “Join in queensdale” it does actually work

MrInfinit.1864

It’s the guesting that’s causing the overflow. They’re abusing an exploit that allows them to break the one-chest-per-day limit on World Events. If they hadn’t bothered implementing that ridiculous policy in the first place, it wouldn’t be happening.

Pretty sure you can only get one chest per day per character. There was a bug that let people work around that for certain events, but it was fixed days ago.

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

I love the people who just have it in their head the guesting has nothing to do with it. IT DOES…PERIOD! Might not be THE reason. But it has never been a problem before guesting and the new patches. The new loot from chests or whatever, coupled with guesting is the reason.

Get over yourselves and think for a change

Quick Mouse.7635

Pretty sure you can only get one chest per day per character. There was a bug that let people work around that for certain events, but it was fixed days ago.

This is correct. You cannot get extra chests by guesting to different servers. It’s per day per character, regardless of which server you do it on.

Horrorscope.7632

First, yes 0 guests and Overflows can still happen, but if guest beat natives to that zone, it will fill faster. So guesting can, and sometimes does, make things much worse.

The servers themselves need to be looked at. Sure, we could make the events happen more often, but even the 30 min ones are getting Overflowed now. Personally, I think I’m done with bothering. There’s enough elsewhere that offers better total rewards.

Not to you but just in general because I’ve read this enough already. This whole thing of visitors and natives, it’s ugly. These are Anets servers and you are bringing bigotry into the situation that isn’t needed. Mentioning the issue of over-populated zergs is fair so they can look at it, but then making a dividing line between players isn’t cool.

I do agree about getting over it for the time being at the least and as you say the loot too me doesn’t seem all that better any way. There are plenty of places to get rare’s and better in a somewhat timely fashion.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

I believe the term for this is unintended consequences.

I think it’s more a case of “feature working as intended, players just never think about the consequences of seeing their constant demands finally met”

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

Pretty sure it’s guesting. We frequently have a commander and several of his guildies on our server for events, and their guild is not on our server.

Posted by: MissingL tter.8561

MissingL tter.8561

Guesting: The great idea in theory.

I’d agree that guesting was a great idea in theory but in execution it has caused more complaint than praise. One of the most discussed topics of complaint are events that reward players via a chest outside of the standard loot system. The most known of these events being Dragons; With such a relatively easy task for a chance at fantastic reward, the reasons for their popularity are clear. The issues arise when overflow maps create a severe obstacle for players on their home servers. Now I understand the purpose of overflow maps and am not complaining about that or it’s functionality. I personally and many of my friends and guild mates have experienced an increase in the overflow obstacle with guesting. It has been made public knowledge that many people bounce servers in order to complete the same event on many different toons and that is what I would like to discuss.

It has become such an issue that in order to complete a Dragon event or other chest event with high popularity you have to show up 45 minutes before the estimated 30 minute period that the dragon will spawn. The reason being that unless you show up on that map that early, you get stuck in overflow. This wasn’t happening as often or with such a large time cripple as it is now. For players with tighter AFK schedules the idea that they can’t complete an event on their home server without wasting 45 minutes to an hour waiting for a spawn is obscene. Most of the time you aren’t even waiting for a spawn time but a period of time in which it can spawn.

I understand that the long timers make it nearly impossible to complete these events on many toons in one day without guesting but that isn’t what guesting was designed for and these events were designed with long timers for a reason. I personally think that while guesting you should automatically be placed on the bottom of the overflow queue. Players on their home servers should get priority and push guests into overflow. If you are guesting to play with friends than your friends can join you in overflow.

This most likely isn’t an easily executed solution but I think it is the simplest solution to the problem those of us on higher population servers face.

So I ask the community, how do you feel about these problems? Do you think I am completely off base? What are you solutions or arguments?

-MissingL_tter (aka Prophet)

MrInfinit.1864

I love the people who just have it in their head the guesting has nothing to do with it. IT DOES…PERIOD! Might not be THE reason. But it has never been a problem before guesting and the new patches. The new loot from chests or whatever, coupled with guesting is the reason.

How about getting over yourselves, and stop blindly blaming something you can’t even prove is the cause. How about waiting for an official response from ANet?

btw this was a problem before guesting… overflows and lag at launch? yes. overflows and lag at the Karka event? yes.

=)

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

Like I’ve said in another thread about this, I think a lot of it has to do with players having multiple 80’s.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

You’ll not find anyone saying guesting doesn’t contribute, but stop dilluding yourself it is a tiny fraction of the problem. Guesting was implented before the loot changes and worked fine. Now that the boss events give much better loot though it is suddenly the fault of guesting that people get thrown in overflow. Stop kidding already most of your server is going for the easy loot. So yes stop blaming guesting. Suggest using Occam’s razor when looking at the problem. if your server has LA overflow on a regular bases than wouldn’t it be just as likely that events on a server where guilds keep informing their community the events are active will cause an overflow as well.

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

It’s not just the Behemoth – I was in QD overflow in Sorrow’s Furnace yesterday for quite some time, but it hadn’t happened before since launch-ish. I figure it’s the Champ Daily, since QD has easy champs that everyone knows about. It’s the go-to place for dailies, so I wouldn’t be surprised if people just went there to get that out of the way.

critickitten.1498

How about getting over yourselves, and stop blindly blaming something you can’t even prove is the cause. How about waiting for an official response from ANet?

btw this was a problem before guesting… overflows and lag at launch? yes. overflows and lag at the Karka event? yes.

=)

Both of which are totally unrelated events to this.

It’s not hard to figure out what the problem is. There weren’t overflows for World Events all that often prior to the guesting patch. Now, suddenly, everyone’s complaining about it.

Let’s add two and two, here, rather than waiting for the professor to tell you that the answer’s four.

Gestankfaust.4216

=)

It was never a problem before both guesting and the patches…what game have you been playing.

I’m actually kinda on the side of the ppl arguing that guesting isnt the problem. I just can’t sit here and say it isn’t part of the problem. And if you can say that…you are delusional.

Gestankfaust.4216

You’ll not find anyone saying guesting doesn’t contribute, but stop dilluding yourself it is a tiny fraction of the problem. Guesting was implented before the loot changes and worked fine. Now that the boss events give much better loot though it is suddenly the fault of guesting that people get thrown in overflow. Stop kidding already most of your server is going for the easy loot. So yes stop blaming guesting. Suggest using Occam’s razor when looking at the problem. if your server has LA overflow on a regular bases than wouldn’t it be just as likely that events on a server where guilds keep informing their community the events are active will cause an overflow as well.

I’ll not get an infraction for saying what I think of your kitten post….

What you posted has nothing to do with what I posted. Nuff said. I never blamed guesting but paired it with the patch. Read…it helps your brain.

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

It is not the reason indeed.
This afternoon I guested to Ruins of Surmia (a not really active server), dragon timer told me that Claw window was up. So I went to Frostgorge Sound, and there were only like 3~5 people including myself. Why would my homeserver go into overflow 10 minutes before the window is even active, while Ruins of Surmia barely has the people to kill the Claw, if guesting is the issue?

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

Pants.8315

But it is guesting. People are guesting VOLUME to do events to get extra chests, more than the one per day. These people are guesting in VOLUME to single zones to defeat bosses. This means that guests are adding to the already large server population heading to do these events, and thus guesting IS directly creating problems.

Simply removing the ability to gain multiple chests by server hopping, would reduce the amount of people guesting by tons, back to just people who want to play with their friends, which is what it was intended for. Not abusing mechanics to get more loot.

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

It would be great if ANET let us know if they did in fact drop the player capacity for the majority of maps and, if my theory is correct, raised the capacity for Lions Arch.

I haven’t gotten the Lions Arch Overflow since February 26th…

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Horrorscope.7632

It’s reported and assumed that guests are creating the lag, I still don’t buy it.

I’ll tell ya’s what is creating the lag, that is simple. GW2 has high demands on your system, it always has. If you aren’t running a top end processor and people are maxing a zone and in the same place, you are going to lag. You would have lag’d day one through today if those things happen. I have 2 solid systems and 2 below par. The bottom one’s are barely fine with general every day play, but you put 30+ people on the screen it gets painful. GW2 has been getting by without a lot of griping recently because in most places people were spread out (game is dying type spread) or in an instance. Go back to release when it was all zerg, what were you performance experiences with mid to low end hardware?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Problem solved.

Do you have any evidence that guesting isn’t the problem? If I joined a high population server, why shouldn’t I be able to do the dragon events on that server. Why should I have to log out and try to find a lower population server?

It seems that two things happened at the same time. Loot from Dragon chests got better and guesting started.

I know that every time I do a dragon event there are many people talking about how they are guesting from another server. Maybe they are just trolling, but maybe there are a lot of people coming into other servers for the larger events.

Only Arenanet has the information to tell for sure, all we are doing is speculating that guesting is causing the problem and all you are doing is speculating that guesting is not causing the problem.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

=)

Both of which are totally unrelated events to this.

It’s not hard to figure out what the problem is. There weren’t overflows for World Events all that often prior to the guesting patch. Now, suddenly, everyone’s complaining about it.

Let’s add two and two, here, rather than waiting for the professor to tell you that the answer’s four.

Two things happened, guesting is only one of them (and I bet the minor one). The main reason (IMHO) was that the dragon chests became too attractive with them containing a guaranteed rare each, which could be salvaged to up to 3 ectos (which sell for 30s each) each, so that everyone is trying to do them.

I’d bet that if they did turn off guesting the net result would be the same, instead of the guests from other servers you’ll have people from your own server that used to guest on other servers taking their place.

But of course, we can only guess, only anet has the actual data on how many people did the events before, how many do them now (we can’t even see them all because of culling), and how many are guests.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

I bet this gets merged somewhere but the best solution to guesting I’ve seen is that you actually need to be a guest. Someone from that server has to actually invite you there. I mean, isn’t that what guesting is supposed to be about anyway?

Pants.8315

Its BOTH…what are you ppl sniffing? Guesting was here before the patch and we didn’t have a problem. Now we do. Can you at least do the math?

Before the patch guesting wasn’t an issue because there was no reason to guest just for certain events.

Now you’re rewarded for guesting onto other servers just for certain events in certain places.

If you could only get one chest day, regardless of server. Guesting would be back to its original numbers and purpose.

The rewards are responsible for people guesting for events. But players guesting are directly responsible for the issues we’ve seen.

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

It seems that two things happened at the same time. Loot from Dragon chests got better and guesting started.

Those two things didn’t happen at the same time. One happened a month before the other. Since they just recently fixed the exploit around guesting and getting multiple chests, I would wait a few days for people to get resettled and then we’ll see what the problem is without guesting contributing. (Why would people guest if they don’t get any added benefit?)

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Quick Mouse.7635

Let’s be clear about a few things.
1) you cannot get extra chests by doing events on other servers.
2) When everyone on your server tries to enter the same map, you are going to get an overflow on high and even medium population servers. Eg. Lion’s Arch, Karka event.
3) Overflows are now prominent for world events because everyone and their uncles are all trying to enter the same map at the same time. This is to be expected, and has little to do with guesting because guests only makes up a very small percentage of the people on your server.

Guesting is not the problem. The problem is everyone -native- to a given server are all watching dragon timers and all entering the same zones at the same time to get buffed loots.

A suggestion that would help:
Remove all guild missions from areas that have world events.

Ursan.7846

Those two things didn’t happen at the same time. One happened a month before the other. Since they just recently fixed the exploit around guesting and getting multiple chests, I would wait a few days for people to get resettled and then we’ll see what the problem is without guesting contributing. (Why would people guest if they don’t get any added benefit?)

To waste less time on timers.

If my home world has the boss spawn in 2 hours, while if a guest world spawns it in 10 minutes, I will guest there to do it.

Gestankfaust.4216

Its BOTH…what are you ppl sniffing? Guesting was here before the patch and we didn’t have a problem. Now we do. Can you at least do the math?

Before the patch guesting wasn’t an issue because there was no reason to guest just for certain events.

Now you’re rewarded for guesting onto other servers just for certain events in certain places.

If you could only get one chest day, regardless of server. Guesting would be back to its original numbers and purpose.

The rewards are responsible for people guesting for events. But players guesting are directly responsible for the issues we’ve seen.

That’s my point. Guesting HAS become a problem, but not THE problem.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

First, yes 0 guests and Overflows can still happen, but if guest beat natives to that zone, it will fill faster. So guesting can, and sometimes does, make things much worse.

Not to you but just in general because I’ve read this enough already. This whole thing of visitors and natives, it’s ugly. These are Anets servers and you are bringing bigotry into the situation that isn’t needed. Mentioning the issue of over-populated zergs is fair so they can look at it, but then making a dividing line between players isn’t cool.

You’re kidding, right? The only “ugliness” is what you yourself may be bringing into it with that kind of thinking. This isn’t bigotry. There’s guests and then their are server residents, or natives, or whatever you want to call them. These words have simple meanings that don’t have anything derogatory to them unless you put it there.

We all had to choose a server when we started. We do this in every single MMO. These servers have communities. Heck, these servers in particular frequently duke it out in PvP to best one another on leaderboards. There is no shame in having pride in your server, and frustration over not being able to play on it because slots are being used by players who didn’t pick the server as their home.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

To waste less time on timers.

If my home world has the boss spawn in 2 hours, while if a guest world spawns it in 10 minutes, I will guest there to do it.

Exactly… but that also means that in 2 hours, you won’t be doing the event in your server (at least not with that character). Without guesting the net result would be the same, you wouldn’t take the spot on other server, but you’d take it on your own server, and the spot on that other server might be taken by someone that would have guested on yet another server.

Which is why I believe that it’s mostly just too many people and not guesting to blame for the lag. I’d rather them return the chests to how they were before, where most of the times you didn’t get a rare, or at least make them once per account instead of once per character, but most people seem to want it fixed without doing any of that (no idea how).

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Sorry, my mistake. I forgot about that because, prior to the recent fix, there was really no reason to do the dragons (except to do them.) The fact remains that we know there’s a problem, but we don’t know what’s causing the problem.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

Locoman has it. Guesting in and of itself isn’t the issue. But when you combine it with easily timed events that reward at least 1 guaranteed rare, now you have an issue.

Overflow pops up because of all the people jumping to a server with an event that is happening during the period of time they can play the game. They have an hour and they can get Claw, Teq, Shatty, Behemoth, Maw, Fire Ele, and Jungle Wurm in whereas normally it might take 4 hours. The only way to do that is to jump servers.

Again, the best solution to the guesting issue I’ve seen is you need to be invited to a server by someone to play there. That will help with the overflow issues. Whether or not it was a good idea to put guaranteed rares in these chests is a different discussion.

Ursan.7846

Exactly… but that also means that in 2 hours, you won’t be doing the event in your server (at least not with that character).

Exactly. 2 hours later I will do that event with an alt.

critickitten.1498

Two things happened, guesting is only one of them (and I bet the minor one). The main reason (IMHO) was that the dragon chests became too attractive with them containing a guaranteed rare each, which could be salvaged to up to 3 ectos (which sell for 30s each) each, so that everyone is trying to do them.

I’d bet that if they did turn off guesting the net result would be the same, instead of the guests from other servers you’ll have people from your own server that used to guest on other servers taking their place.

But of course, we can only guess, only anet has the actual data on how many people did the events before, how many do them now (we can’t even see them all because of culling), and how many are guests.

I’m not disagreeing that there are other factors.

I’m simply disagreeing with the notion that guesting isn’t contributing to the problem, because all “evidence” we have suggests that it’s at least a partial contributor to the problem.

Gestankfaust.4216

I’m not disagreeing that there are other factors.

I’m simply disagreeing with the notion that guesting isn’t contributing to the problem, because all “evidence” we have suggests that it’s at least a partial contributor to the problem.

It is…it’s the icing on the cake. The cake is the patch where it made these events so popular. People that disagree are not thinking straight

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

It’s reported and assumed that guests are creating the lag, I still don’t buy it.

I’ll tell ya’s what is creating the lag, that is simple. GW2 has high demands on your system, it always has. If you aren’t running a top end processor and people are maxing a zone and in the same place, you are going to lag. You would have lag’d day one through today if those things happen. I have 2 solid systems and 2 below par. The bottom one’s are barely fine with general every day play, but you put 30+ people on the screen it gets painful. GW2 has been getting by without a lot of griping recently because in most places people were spread out (game is dying type spread) or in an instance. Go back to release when it was all zerg, what were you performance experiences with mid to low end hardware?

Game performance/framerate and lag/latency are not the same thing. I can have a comfortably playable framerate, yet my skills simply will not activate. My internet connnect is nowhere near saturated by GW2’s traffic. That leaves lag on the server side as the problem. The fact that everyone else in the map, no matter what PC specs, are having the same lag just confirms this.

As for guesting, it’s most likely a part of the problem. I’m sure most servers are capable if filling a dragon event map with their own population, so guests are just forcing home-server players into overflow and making them lose out on the event. Even without guesting, the home-server crowds on most servers would fill the map and cause the same lag. This wasn’t happening 2 weeks ago because the rewards were usually bad. With better rewards, everyone wants to get the chests.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

stop dilluding yourself

I have it on good authority that dilluding oneself can lead to blindness.

Posted by: StevesDad.8213

StevesDad.8213

I believe the term for this is unintended consequences.

I think it’s more a case of “feature working as intended, players just never think about the consequences of seeing their constant demands finally met”

Players shouldn’t HAVE to think about issues like this. This is an encouraged and implemented feature from Anet. Players doing “due diligence” to make sure they don’t “overcrowd” is absolutely ludicrous .

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Players shouldn’t HAVE to think about issues like this.

They should if they make a dozen complaint threads a week demanding that feature X be implemented.

…as was well exemplified by the post I quoted and was responding to.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

You’re kidding, right? The only “ugliness” is what you yourself may be bringing into it with that kind of thinking. This isn’t bigotry. There’s guests and then their are server residents, or natives, or whatever you want to call them. These words have simple meanings that don’t have anything derogatory to them unless you put it there.

We all had to choose a server when we started. We do this in every single MMO. These servers have communities. Heck, these servers in particular frequently duke it out in PvP to best one another on leaderboards. There is no shame in having pride in your server, and frustration over not being able to play on it because slots are being used by players who didn’t pick the server as their home.

I see it from both sides really. I think the ire should be directed towards the situation not the people doing the guesting. They are simply using the resources provided by Anet in lieu of the free transfer system we had. There are a few who relish in the fact that they may be causing stress to others but in general I don’t think this is the case.

I also agree that there is nothing wrong with having pride in your server and expecting some sort of preference over those who are guesting, and I think if people guesting would be objective about it they would agree.