Stop making holiday / event stuff tradeable!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lusts.3890

Lusts.3890

Seriously, if you are going to make exclusive holiday themed weapons or gear that you have to earn during the holiday, then don’t make them tradeable. It filters unneeded gold into the market. If you keep them tradeable, then re-release these skins for everyone to earn again. And for those who get angry with this opinion, I don’t care. It’s a dumb idea to make exclusives tradeable. It devalues the actual item.

Think about it, someone can go and save an insane amount of gold (if they are that insane) and buy said skin from say 2013, and then claim they were there from day one and got it the first year. There is no actual achievement for earning these items when they become tradeable. I personally don’t have the luxurious items like the Ghastly Grinning Shield despite me being here since beta, and honestly; this isn’t a complaint so I can get it again. I’d be much happier if they became untradeable and stuck with the people who currently have them or earned them.

But if you absolutely insist on keeping these so called “exclusive skins” tradeable each year, then re-release them for everyone to use. Otherwise, make them account bound like you did in Guild Wars 1 where when you got a helmet, they were added to your account, untradeable, and couldn’t get them again (until they recycled them after Guild Wars 2 came out of course).

I defend people’s accomplishments, even if I personally do not achieve them. I dislike seeing things being devalued or people buying “fame”. It’s a stupid system.

If you support this opinion, cool on you. You’re a swell lad. If not, you’re entitled to your opinion but I simply do not care. You’re still awesome, keep being awesome, but seriously, keep these items exclusive or re-release them.

P.S. I love you Anet devs and mods.

Please support your love for the Log-In Screen!
V Click Here! V
http://tinyurl.com/kb5jo4l

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Where did it say they were exclusive? I must have missed that. Personally, I’ve never really felt something was exclusive if getting it was random or if everyone who wanted it that year could get it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Think about it, someone can go and save an insane amount of gold (if they are that insane) and buy said skin from say 2013, and then claim they were there from day one and got it the first year

So what if they do?

No, seriously what’s the problem here?

Do you REALLY think there are any bragging rights associated with happening to be playing a VIDEO GAME at a particular point in time?

Really?

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I’m pleased that these things are tradeable.

It means that people who missed out on events (for whatever reason), or who weren’t lucky enough/didn’t have enough gold at the time can purchase them at a later date.

How these items are designed are there to “advertise” the event. The items are highly desirable. Most people will make an effort to spend time in-game if they want the item, knowing that it’s often easiest obtainable during the event itself. The uncertainty of the item returning helps drive this. More people during the event period means generally a more fun game environment (and thus it snowballs). Notice how there are often lots of gem-store items for sale during the festive events. That’s no coincidence, it’s a great way of getting a lot of revenue in a short space of time.

Of course the “exclusivity” of the weapons (and other festival items) is a small part of a larger machine.

Yet I’m confused by your overall point. You either want them back (accessible) or you want them essentially gone forever and obviously so. Seems like two very conflicting viewpoints. Is it because you want a sense of closure: “I am definitely/definitely not able to get this item”? Am I missing something?

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

To be honest, I feel like too many things are account/soulbound… So many times when I look at ascended materials (or semi-amusing-looking unique items) I got from events or drops and wonder whether I should delete them to make room in my inventory. Not to mention collectible pieces. I’m not upsizing my bank for 600 a pop just to complete collections…

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

…blablablabla…

Eventitems should be tradeable! Way more items should be tradeable! For example the change that fractal boxes are accountbound now sucks. It was great that I just could buy them from tp.

Everything that is tradeable removes gold from the game so it’s the best possibility. Especially the valuable special event skins are great! Everyone still can get them for example the grinning shield is still available for everyone at the tp. That’s way better than exclusive items which will never return and won’t be tradeable, because noone can get such crap items!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

To be honest, I feel like too many things are account/soulbound…

i feel the same but about the new system.
seems like it’s gonna be harder to pay and get what you want.

tbh i don’t pay that much ( maybe 2k gems/year ), but still i don’t get why should they “force” ppl to play ( i know some people have money, some times, some both, some neither… but cause gw2 its almos about skins, and having an ascended piece is not that hard, why did they chose this path? ).

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I agree for the most part, however:

“If you keep them tradeable, then re-release these skins for everyone to earn again. And for those who get angry with this opinion, I don’t care. It’s a dumb idea to make exclusives tradeable. It devalues the actual item.”

More items (not all) should come from one source to give them more game value. However if you do this with holiday events that means even more you should bring them back. Because else it just means somebody was lucky or not, and if he was not then there is not another opportunity to go for that item.

Let’s say the pumpkin smasher skin was a possible drop from the Mad King, account-bound and only available this year. What would it then mean if you did see anybody with that hammer..? That he was here this year and did the content.

But what does it mean that somebody else does not have it? He might still have been here, and done the content but basically run out of time because it was a temporary event. And then there will be no way he will ever be able to get that item again what might be very frustrating for him if he really wants that item a lot.

So you say they need to come back every year if they are tradable as if that is less important then when they are account-bound. But if it’s account-bound this is even more important.

The problem then is that the item does not anymore show that a person joined for this year’s Halloween vs Next year. The only way to make an item that has that goal, is to give that item for free just for logging in during the festival or make it a guaranteed drop from some content.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

“It filters unneeded gold into the market. If you keep them tradeable, then re-release these skins for everyone to earn again. "

I strongly disagree. The gold is obviously needed if you want the good but it’s otherwise unobtainable.

Devata.6589

Think about it, someone can go and save an insane amount of gold (if they are that insane) and buy said skin from say 2013, and then claim they were there from day one and got it the first year

So what if they do?

Do you REALLY think there are any bragging rights associated with happening to be playing a VIDEO GAME at a particular point in time?

Really?

It’s not about bragging rights. More a token of participation / completion. There is a game-value linked to an item that only comes from one source.

It means you where there and completed that content. Once you make an item tradable you completely remove that value from the item.

This is an subject I talk a lot about (as it’s related to grinding gold vs going directly for the item) because I also find it important item represent something. That type of value is important imho. Maybe not for you, but for many It is. Even Anet sees that and basically said that it was a mistake to make the Legendary weapons tradable because of this reason.

The only problem with OP’s statement is that he is talking about a temporary event in combination with RNG drops. And then you have to be careful. If you want to give the item the meaning of “he was here” or “He completed this content” then it has to be a guaranteed drop.

A nice way to do this is to put one special guaranteed drop for all the content (one for the clock-tower, one for the lab, one for the mad king and so on). These change every year and are account-bound. In addition you add some RNG-drops but they return every year.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

“This is an subject I talk a lot about (as it’s related to grinding gold vs going directly for the item) because I also find it important item represent something. That type of value is important imho. Maybe not for you, but for many It is. Even Anet sees that and basically said that it was a mistake to make the Legendary weapons tradable because of this reason.”

Yes certain things should be obtainable only through achievements or (especially) PvP, but much of the Halloween stuff is either really hard to make (Nightfury) or currently unobtainable (the chainsaw swords).

" Even Anet sees that and basically said that it was a mistake to make the Legendary weapons tradable because of this reason."

The mistake this time was making Shards of Glory tradeable. WvW and PvP just shouldn’t be optional for a legendary especially since they’re the most important parts of the game.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Not everyone has time during holliday events, so its great that you can trade those items.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Pretty much everything from the past is possible to buy now and I am fine with it. If only they sold that one thing that got lost. (Holographic Shattered Dragon Wings)

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m glad they are tradable, there’s already insane limitations on what can and can not be traded as it is

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

To be honest, I feel like too many things are account/soulbound… So many times when I look at ascended materials (or semi-amusing-looking unique items) I got from events or drops and wonder whether I should delete them to make room in my inventory. Not to mention collectible pieces. I’m not upsizing my bank for 600 a pop just to complete collections…

This. But, everything should be tradeable imo.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’ll go ahead and throw in the typical anti-exclusive items proponent response.

“I’m sorry that you want to be a special little snowflake, but I don’t think it’s fair that I should have to do content I don’t like for an item I want, therefore I should be able to get any item from any content, exclusive or not, by playing HOW I WANT! I only like running CoF p1 over and over, but I should still be able to get the legendary fractal backpiece!!!!”

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I like money. I’ll continue to sell candy corn and gift boxes as I get them.

..well, not candy corn, since I need 20-slot boxes. I should be buying candy corn right now. >.>

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’ll go ahead and throw in the typical anti-exclusive items proponent response.

“I’m sorry that you want to be a special little snowflake, but I don’t think it’s fair that I should have to do content I don’t like for an item I want, therefore I should be able to get any item from any content, exclusive or not, by playing HOW I WANT! I only like running CoF p1 over and over, but I should still be able to get the legendary fractal backpiece!!!!”

My response to this should be I, as a gem purchaser and content player, should be able to sell on my items for profit if I do not want them rather than have an inventory clogged with items that I can only throw away rather than give/sell to someone who actually wants it.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

So what if they do?

Really?

It’s not about bragging rights. More a token of participation / completion. There is a game-value linked to an item that only comes from one source.

It means you where there and completed that content. Once you make an item tradable you completely remove that value from the item.

I perceive two possible ‘values’:

1) the personal value you place the sense of achievement YOU feel for having obtained that item and participating in the event when it happened – ergo, you were lucky to be playing the game at a particular moment in time and you enjoy having a momento of that, I ‘get’ that view, what I don’t ‘get’ is why YOUR personal sense of value is in any way affected by someone else being able to buy it, that IN NO WAY diminishes YOUR achievement …

… but it WILL DO if you subscribe to …

2) the bragging rights which possessing it and flaunting it you think it give, I entirely reject that view.

I see no other ‘value’ in something like this, and I’m sure it’s the latter for those arguing the OP’s view.

[edit]

BTW, I’m using ‘bragging rights’ because the ‘e’ word is censored but I consider that word far more applicable in this context.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Im all for keeping rewards account bound IF they:

1. Do not require RNG to obtain. No achievement or effort needed to get lucky AND
2. Will return with the holiday each year

Otherwise its just lame if you cant get the item you want because you were unlucky or didnt play at the correct time.

Devata.6589

So what if they do?

Really?

I perceive two possible ‘values’:

1) the personal value you place the sense of achievement YOU feel for having obtained that item and participating in the event when it happened – ergo, you were lucky to be playing the game at a particular moment in time and you enjoy having a momento of that, I ‘get’ that view, what I don’t ‘get’ is why YOUR personal sense of value is in any way affected by someone else being able to buy it, that IN NO WAY diminishes YOUR achievement …

… but it WILL DO if you subscribe to …

2) the bragging rights which possessing it and flaunting it you think it give, I entirely reject that view.

I see no other ‘value’ in something like this, and I’m sure it’s the latter for those arguing the OP’s view.

[edit]

BTW, I’m using ‘bragging rights’ because the ‘e’ word is censored but I consider that word far more applicable in this context.

Nice that you enlighten us of the fact that you don’t see it. I can tell you many do.

“YOU feel for having obtained that item and participating in the event when it happened” This can indeed be a perceived value. The item only being available from that content is a factual value. The value of the item is now the accomplishment of that content.. factual, not perceived.

Caps are not going to change this fact.

And yes, how somebody else got it is also relevant. If you got some item by completing some extremely hard content, while somebody else got it from some brainless grind then that feels / is perceived by many as unfair or bad. A feeling that you cannot see I guess. But the item also misses that factual value I talked about before.

Hope this enlightens you a little more.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I am pleased that most things are tradeable. I’d like some very simple to get item, like the hats in GW1, that are account bound and can’t be traded that say, “I was there.” Weapon skins, glowy skins, ghost doggies… I’m fine with those things being tradeable.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Freygea.3620

Freygea.3620

I appreciate that certain items are tradeable. I have stage 4 breast cancer and there are times I am unable to play due to side effects of my chemo.

I know there are items I will never obtain in the game due to my intermittent inability to play and that is fine. I do appreciate being able to play a bit here and there and to save up my in game gold so I can buy the items I was working towards.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Sorry, but I disagree with you OP. I’ve been to all the holiday events and still prefer the items to be tradeable. Unless they took out the rng completely (which I highly doubt they’d do) from the holiday items, they need to be tradeable because most of us do not have good rng luck. Having them tradeable does not make them any less valuable, except to those kittens that want to keep stuff away from people with bad rng and/or newcomers.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A good game strikes a balance among:

• Exclusive items, due to contests (e.g. design-a-weapon), special events (e.g. karka invasion), etc
  • Easily-obtained items.
  • Items obtained through skill.
  • Low-drop-rate items that can be sold (benefiting those with more coin than time and those with more time than coin, plus those who get lucky).
  • Low-drop-rate items that cannot be sold.

The “ideal” balance varies from player to player, and even game community to game community. I don’t think any one of us can offer our own personal preference and state with certainty that it’s “best for the game.”

tl;dr everyone’s mileage (kilometrage?) varies; a good game offers some balance.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Your proposal would make even an even higher number of the drops junk. That is the opposite of what this game needs!

You want to talk GW1? The holiday stuff was attainable unlike in this game. Plus they sell skins and gold/cash in this game.

Posted by: Katta Castellum.3957

Katta Castellum.3957

i would much rather play the game how i want to and buy the things i want with gold than gather certain materials by playing parts of the game i don’t want to play.

Posted by: Elyssandariel.2679

Elyssandariel.2679

I prefer for things to be trade-able, myself. I really wanted that mini moa with the jackolantern on its head and I didn’t get it, despite doing NOTHING BUT Halloween content for the time it was here. My husband was lucky with the drops, and got one, and two nightwings, and a few other things. He shouldn’t be allowed to give it to me, even though I was there, did everything he did, and just wasn’t lucky? That makes no sense. (BTW he is selling it, because of exorbitant prices on the TP, but, my point stands.)

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

It irks me to no end to think that there are players out there that think they need to demand that anet limit what I can do with skins that I earn. If I earn a high value skin that I don’t particularly care for, I should be allowed to sell it so that I can be a skin I do like. I don’t understand why you people feel the need to control what I do with my skins. Stay out of my inventory!

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Sorry OP, but would prefer more things NOT be account/soulbound. I understand your point, but there are already very few items in game that have any coin value already and would prefer not to see that population diminish.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I understand where OP is coming from, but I’m not one of those players to go out grind a bunch of stuff I don’t like for something I do want. I would much rather buy some gems and convert it to gold to buy what I need/want instantly.

Fractal chests for example: Level 1 fractal level, but now a proud owner of 3 Fractal skins because I bought gems and strait up paid for them. I get what I want, the seller made 300g and Anet made $50.

If your argument is about earning the RNG drops on chests or how ever it works, all that argument sounds like is that you had to grind a section of the game to a point it frustrated you just for that item. I do not play games to get frustrated or bored grinding, I play games to cure boredom and release frustration from a work day.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Valuable tradeable rewards are good because it rewards players with valuable goods and they got first refusal of using it for themselves or selling it to someone else, if they rather want gold.

This gives an incentive to players, to repeatly play that content because it gives good loot.
If all cool items are account bound on acquire, it might be a great incentive to complete the content once or until you got yours but after that, many players wouldnt go near that content again, as he has very little use for a 2nd account bound skin or mini or dye or home instance node or whatever.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Let The Market Decide!™

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Let The Market Decide!™

^ This, yup.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian