Stop pushing the China restrictions onto us

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tulki.1458

Tulki.1458

The “revamped” trait system and level-gating of basic features were all problems that people widely complained about in the Chinese release of this game. Why are they being back-ported to North American and European releases under the guise of “new features”?

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

So they only need to deal with one set of “rules.” Anything else is too complicated for new stuff they want to do. I don’t agree with this logic, but expect it is right nonetheless

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

The “revamped” trait system and level-gating of basic features were all problems that people widely complained about in the Chinese release of this game. Why are they being back-ported to North American and European releases under the guise of “new features”?

The trait system had nothing to do with China and everything to do with people who wanted to hunt for skills, like in GW1. Well they got what they wanted and now they are complaining about it.

Also, it is easier to have one basic game, just with language differences than it is to have multiple versions of the game. I don’t blame them in the least for doing it. It makes common sense.

Posted by: Sousuke.7268

Sousuke.7268

Because someone was completely disconnected from their community for a long while. I feel sorry for the PR people, these latest changes are going to generate a lot of angry comments. Hell, people are negative about this even on facebook! That is a rare sight.

The trait system had nothing to do with China and everything to do with people who wanted to hunt for skills, like in GW1. Well they got what they wanted and now they are complaining about it.

A badly implemented feature does not mean that the core idea is bad. Far from it. This would be relatively easy to fix, should they allocate some resources to it.

(edited by Sousuke.7268)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

But traits are not really skills. It was a compromise, a poor one in opinion. But I’m sure there are people who like it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

Looks more to me like these “features” are just stuff they already have the code for due to the China release and are using to pad out the “feature” pack.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Looks more to me like these “features” are just stuff they already have the code for due to the China release and are using to pad out the “feature” pack.

pad?

what is left if we remove the features from china? I think the whole thing just disappears.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

pad?

what is left if we remove the features from china? I think the whole thing just disappears.

Skill balances…but then that would make this a balance patch (small one too if they’ve given all or most of the balances).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Also, it is easier to have one basic game, just with language differences than it is to have multiple versions of the game. I don’t blame them in the least for doing it. It makes common sense.

“Trait Hunting” is fine, but not in the way ANet has implemented it.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

pad?

It would seem like it.

Posted by: crossoverAtt.9680

crossoverAtt.9680

“The trait system had nothing to do with China and everything to do with people who wanted to hunt for skills, like in GW1. Well they got what they wanted and now they are complaining about it.”

Where did you get this idea? The implementation of the trait unlocks was one of the most haphazard, uninformed, “5 minutes before we go live”, poorly executed changes they have ever made in this game. First tier trait unlocks in Lvl 70 areas? (See previous 1500 posts regarding trait feedback) They have cleaned it up some, but it still reeks of hypocrisy in comparison to the “build diversity is our core goal” mantra that has been put out since the beginning. Besides, I believe the devs have already fessed up to making the original trait changes of April ‘14 based on the feedback from the Chineese audience. Sadly, I wish they had created the trait changes along the scavenger hunt line you’ve suggested. It would have turned out much better.

Edit: Someone just posted another entry to the trait complaint thread. It’s over 2000 entries now.

(edited by crossoverAtt.9680)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

That’s because they gave us the monkey’s paw version of trait hunting.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

… monkey’s paw…

So you worded your desire incorrectly.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

pad?

Hey now. We’re getting account bound colored tags ! It’s not a lot, but it’s not nothing.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

hunting for traits != taking away traits from lower levels…

Lord Kuru.3685

… monkey’s paw…

With the monkey’s paw, it doesn’t matter how you word it.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

ANet is effectively making their early game worse. no story to give big exp boosts as well as direction, no downed state, no weapon skills (?!?!?), no utilities, no traits. they’ll be lucky to retain uninformed people through the first 10 levels, especially now that it’ll be much slower.

instead of making the game easier for new players to get in, they’re scaring new players away by hiding all the features that make GW2 unique and not, you know, a generic MMO where you press 1 to kill monsters until your fingers fall off.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

… monkey’s paw…

With the monkey’s paw, it doesn’t matter how you word it.

Isn’t that the one with the safest wish being “I wish the monkey’s paw never wound up in my keeping”?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Lord Kuru.3685

Since they’re porting over China features, is the China VIP system next?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/VIP-Status/first#post3481751

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

ANet is effectively making their early game worse. no story to give big exp boosts as well as direction, no downed state, no weapon skills (?!?!?), no utilities, no traits. they’ll be lucky to retain uninformed people through the first 10 levels, especially now that it’ll be much slower.

instead of making the game easier for new players to get in, they’re scaring new players away by hiding all the features that make GW2 unique and not, you know, a generic MMO where you press 1 to kill monsters until your fingers fall off.

GW2 was never anything more than “press 1 to kill monsters”.

Most of the other features only come into play during group play, and generally only in dungeons or fractals since most world bosses bypass the downed state with insane damage instantly defeating you anyway.

Utilities and traits are only used in specific encounters and most people in open world just run full signet builds, traits with movement speed and the like.

Until PvE is improved, they’re just hiding useless cruft.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

BrunoBRS.5178

Most of the other features only come into play during group play, and generally only in dungeons or fractals since most world bosses bypass the downed state with insane damage instantly defeating you anyway.

Utilities and traits are only used in specific encounters and most people in open world just run full signet builds, traits with movement speed and the like.

wow, playing GW2 must be really boring for you if you don’t play with your skills/traits on normal PvE encounters. sure, you can just press 1 to kill most normal enemies in open world PvE, but it’s still really, really boring.

plus, the whole point of unlocking weapon skills one at a time was so that you could go “oh, new skill, let me see what it does” for each single skill on each weapon. it was a process that could use some speeding up, but now they just changed it to an even slower process, where you need a level threshold to be able to use the skill, while at the same time creating a new problem that when you get a brand new weapon set, you have 5 skills to work with at once, not one, then two, then three, and so on.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I thought that feature was scrapped due to negative feedback by the Chinese.

EDIT: it turns out that there was outcry but KongZhong apparently suppressed the negatives relating to this feature. The whole VIP thing doesn’t say much about it’s payment model if that is to be integrated to the game. I’d assume this would be like how Valve treats Team Fortress 2, where if you bought the game, you get VIP status over Free 2 Players.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

(edited by Malkavian.4516)

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

wow, playing GW2 must be really boring for you if you don’t play with your skills/traits on normal PvE encounters. sure, you can just press 1 to kill most normal enemies in open world PvE, but it’s still really, really boring.

plus, the whole point of unlocking weapon skills one at a time was so that you could go “oh, new skill, let me see what it does” for each single skill on each weapon. it was a process that could use some speeding up, but now they just changed it to an even slower process, where you need a level threshold to be able to use the skill, while at the same time creating a new problem that when you get a brand new weapon set, you have 5 skills to work with at once, not one, then two, then three, and so on.

Right now my WvW Guardian has the following skills slotted:
Healing Breeze
Wall of Reflection
Hallowed Ground
Sanctuary
Tome of Courage

And guess how effective she is in PvE? Next to none, outside of a few dungeon/fractal bosses who are specifically countered by those skills.

My PvE Guardian instead has Signet of Resolve, Battle Roar, Bane Signet, Signet of Judgement and Warband Support.And how effective is she In PvE? She can farm and farm for hours, and helps players alot more than my WvW Guardian, because usually hitting something is always more effective.

You could argue that I can kill mobs faster using my 2-5 skills, but anyone who knows anything about DPS knows that the autoattack usually has the highest DPS and that interrupting it, while more fun, is less efficient.

I wish this game wasn’t about damage and 111 spam, and that all that other stuff was actually useful on a day to day basis in open world PvE, but its not.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

BrunoBRS.5178

Right now my WvW Guardian has the following skills slotted:
Healing Breeze
Wall of Reflection
Hallowed Ground
Sanctuary
Tome of Courage

And guess how effective she is in PvE? Next to none, outside of a few dungeon/fractal bosses who are specifically countered by those skills.

My PvE Guardian instead has Signet of Resolve, Battle Roar, Bane Signet, Signet of Judgement and Warband Support.And how effective is she In PvE? She can farm and farm for hours, and helps players alot more than my WvW Guardian, because usually hitting something is always more effective.

You could argue that I can kill mobs faster using my 2-5 skills, but anyone who knows anything about DPS knows that the autoattack usually has the highest DPS and that interrupting it, while more fun, is less efficient.

I wish this game wasn’t about damage and 111 spam, and that all that other stuff was actually useful on a day to day basis in open world PvE, but its not.

well i find that playstyle awfully boring, and from what you’re saying you also find it boring too. making it worse won’t help things.

incidentally, my guardian uses meditations, which i find extremely fun because i have lots of contextual attacks. i don’t care if i’m doing the top tier DPS or not, leaping and spinning and setting things on fire is fun, and the new system will prevent me from doing it at an early level.