Stop these DDOS already!

Stop these DDOS already!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: azzy.6485

azzy.6485

Pretty obvious they are targeting GW2 of all the NcSoft games – it seems to be hitting consistently after one of the “major” world events has started to cause the most pain.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Tequatl now. DDos interrupt.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I do not get it they are going to get cough at the end of the day and pay a high price for what being annoying?

There is no punishment, there is no way to catch them that isn’t cost prohibitive for the FBI.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Pretty obvious they are targeting GW2 of all the NcSoft games – it seems to be hitting consistently after one of the “major” world events has started to cause the most pain.

It’s not just GW2. This past week (at least according to their twitter) they have attacked and temporarely taken down WoW (some servers), LoL NA, Eve Online (partially), Runescape, Brazzers and even the FBI website.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

EU just got hit.

When the law catches up to these guys I almost want to be there to unload some skale venom onto them

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: azzy.6485

azzy.6485

It’s not just GW2. This past week (at least according to their twitter) they have attacked and temporarely taken down WoW (some servers), LoL NA, Eve Online (partially), Runescape, Brazzers and even the FBI website.

Oh I know it’s not just GW2, I’m just saying that when they choose to hit NcSoft, it is during GW2 major events – there is no way it’s coincidental.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Theorl.3491

Theorl.3491

i think that whoever is doing it is likely not a hacker. seems to be a script-kiddie – using tools that others have written and all is needed is a little button pushing.

there are distributions of linux with the tools already part of it to perform a DoS attack. a botnet is not really needed. though its helpful. i doubt the attacker could afford its rental on his/her pocket money.

the fact that the attacks are sporadic and/or at specific times, to me at least, suggests that there is some sort of constraint… like… its his little sisters turn on the computer.

or he is time-sharing a part of a botnet with some other psuedo angst ridden PPT (pre-pubescent teenager).

maybe it is the modern equivalent of burning ants with a magnifying glass.

oh well. never mind. it happens, and eventually it will catch up with him.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Oh I know it’s not just GW2, I’m just saying that when they choose to hit NcSoft, it is during GW2 major events – there is no way it’s coincidental.

Although it’s easy to get angry at these people, on the flip side, I rather pity them tbh.
Their lives are so sad and pointless that they go to these lengths to get attention but it doesn’t change the fact that they’re still sad and pointless. Mere irrelevancies in society

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

What ANet could do, would be: contact the FBI, get them to find these losers, and get them in jail. They’ll spend a much more productive time in there, at least as inmates’ girlfriends.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

Lazy DNS servers could also scrap their monlist command…

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Kim.4152

Kim.4152

What ANet could do, would be: contact the FBI, get them to find these losers, and get them in jail. They’ll spend a much more productive time in there, at least as inmates’ girlfriends.

While I do agree that something needs to be done about people who get their jollies from activities such as this, prison sexual assault is nothing to joke about.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: KingPuki.1075

KingPuki.1075

yeap i still can’t log in

Plants VS Zombies – Sylvari in Orr

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

Except that the monlist command is an ntp (network time protocol) feature, not something that’s part of DNS. Of course, the DNS system has had it share of problems with DDoS attacks as well.

The thing that was so bad about the ntp monlist attack was that it was an Amplified Distributed Denial of Service attack. Meaning that the system initiating the attack only had to send a relative small packet to get the ntp server to respond with much more data, and to a different IP address. Made it very effective.

I had some of that going on on my systems at my house with my ntp servers. Didn’t take me long to notice it and shut if off, though (maybe a couple of hours from the time I first noticed it).

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: ketorin.5923

ketorin.5923

same people

/15 chars

Warrior – Fort Aspenwood

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

Except that the monlist command is an ntp (network time protocol) feature, not something that’s part of DNS. Of course, the DNS system has had it share of problems with DDoS attacks as well.

The thing that was so bad about the ntp monlist attack was that it was an Amplified Distributed Denial of Service attack. Meaning that the system initiating the attack only had to send a relative small packet to get the ntp server to respond with much more data, and to a different IP address. Made it very effective.

I had some of that going on on my systems at my house with my ntp servers. Didn’t take me long to notice it and shut if off, though (maybe a couple of hours from the time I first noticed it).

Yea I mispoke :P I meant to draw attention to the NTP servers instead (which aren’t NCSOFT controlled).

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: poisonality.8972

poisonality.8972

i think that whoever is doing it is likely not a hacker. seems to be a script-kiddie – using tools that others have written and all is needed is a little button pushing.

there are distributions of linux with the tools already part of it to perform a DoS attack. a botnet is not really needed. though its helpful. i doubt the attacker could afford its rental on his/her pocket money.

why would he need to rent? setting up a botnet is one of the easiest things in the world to do, and can be done in a couple of weeks, or even days. a DoS attack wouldn’t take all of these games down, especially at the same time, hell a regular DoS attack is nothing but a few minutes of an annoyance for even a home PC…….

as far as these guys getting in trouble, or guy, I doubt it. its not impossible to trace, its against the law, but hardly anything is ever done about it. its been this way since ohhhhh…..91?

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: beeferikson.2738

beeferikson.2738

Solution: In order to afford better security and separate servers from Wildstar, ArenaNet can charge their people a $15/mo. subscription fee. Wait, why are you so quiet now? How about thanking them for the 29/30 days of the month it is not effected by outside issues and providing that to us for free?

Good day.

Except for those of us who buy diamonds on a monthly basis… I for one spend more in a month than I do on a ‘subscription-based’ game.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Solution: In order to afford better security and separate servers from Wildstar, ArenaNet can charge their people a $15/mo. subscription fee. Wait, why are you so quiet now? How about thanking them for the 29/30 days of the month it is not effected by outside issues and providing that to us for free?

Good day.

Truer words have never been said.

Actually Wildstar is sub and should be on its’ own separate secure server. People are paying for it and should have it. So I will thank them when the sub paying WS players get what they are paying for.

They are on their own servers, just as GW2 is on their own server. You do realize it is NCSoft’s DATA CENTER – that is the key – basically a server farm. They use the same internet connection to get out is all.

Responding to a post that said they are not, and if we paid a sub we would be.
So you say they are, others say they are not. No proof, just responding to a fanboi who suggested otherwise with their blind support.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: SolviteSekai.9816

SolviteSekai.9816

Played MMO’s for 10 years now (FFXI, WoW, Rift, LotRo, SWOR, FFXIV) never dealt with DDoS attacks until GW2, So not sure what other MMO’s are doing for prevention, but they have at one point been larger player base, and all have/had subs.

Last night Diablo 3, League of Legends and Runescape were all DDOSed by these same people.

I guess Riot and Blizzard are also too poor to “protect their servers”.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Played MMO’s for 10 years now (FFXI, WoW, Rift, LotRo, SWOR, FFXIV) never dealt with DDoS attacks until GW2, So not sure what other MMO’s are doing for prevention, but they have at one point been larger player base, and all have/had subs.

Last night Diablo 3, League of Legends and Runescape were all DDOSed by these same people.

I guess Riot and Blizzard are also too poor to “protect their servers”.

I think ncsoft games are on the same ones as though game listed.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: SolviteSekai.9816

SolviteSekai.9816

Considering they knocked down Diablo 3 and League of Legends, 2 of the most successful games in human history, I dont understand why GW2 players are being entitled here.

FWIW raging like this is keeping us as targets.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: andydontsurf.3501

andydontsurf.3501

I understand that these things happen. What irks me is that the error message tells me it’s MY FAULT every time something on their end goes flooey.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I understand that these things happen. What irks me is that the error message tells me it’s MY FAULT every time something on their end goes flooey.

+1 for that one!!!!!!! That error message is quite maddening, because every single time I have seen it in this game, it has always been on Anets’ end for one reason or another (except for the time my cat stepped on the switch on a power bar and turned off my modem).

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Really I wouldn’t expect the government to do anything.

Assuming the scumbags are even in the US.

If they are in another country then there is absolutely 0.0% chance anything will be done to stop it legally.

If NCstoft were to show some balls and trace the twitter accounts of the people taking credit for it however they could simply make said persons name publicly known & wait for “Karmic” justice to happen.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

Really I wouldn’t expect the government to do anything.

Assuming the scumbags are even in the US.

If they are in another country then there is absolutely 0.0% chance anything will be done to stop it legally.

If NCstoft were to show some balls and trace the twitter accounts of the people taking credit for it however they could simply make said persons name publicly known & wait for “Karmic” justice to happen.

One of them lives in UK, he post a timeline based on UK time then deleted it.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

If they would stop putting all their eggs in one basket we wouldn’t have GW2 go down every time someone decides to DDoS Wildstar -_- Also if they could actually use some of that GW2 money to fund feature development on the game that’s earning it instead of siphoning it off to pay for other games that would be super.

they were ddosing NCsoft(aka, all games down) and then GW2 specifically. note, they also have no control over the attacks. there are programs out there that can generate false hits(pageviews, etc) numbering in the hundreds of thousands, i don’t know of any server that can take that when it’s a lot of people doing it.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Am I the only one who does not know what DDOS means? :/

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Stop these DDOS already!

Lightsbane.9012

denial of service.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: HyugaTaizou.3782

HyugaTaizou.3782

Hi guys,
I’m just wondering, do you think these recent server crashes could be related to this?
http://www.zdnet.com/internet-hiccups-today-youre-not-alone-heres-why-7000032566/

Stop these DDOS already!

Lightsbane.9012

Hi guys,
I’m just wondering, do you think these recent server crashes could be related to this?
http://www.zdnet.com/internet-hiccups-today-youre-not-alone-heres-why-7000032566/

nope.
https://twitter.com/lizardsquad<—- it’s these guys. they’re a known hacker group(somebody mentioned it in teamspeak so i googled them)

Stop these DDOS already!

locoman.1974

A DOS attack means Denial of Service attack, basically you send too much data to a server so you overwhelm it and make it crash or go offline.

A DDOS means Distributed Denial of Service, basically you get LOTS of computers to do a DOS at the same time at a specific target. Usually those computers are botnets, computer infected with viruses that runs in the background and wait for a command to start doing a DOS attack into the target, all without the owner’s knowledge (usually from things like those “app to find out who defriended you on facebook” and the like).

A DDOS is a brute force attack, basically overwhelm the server with too much data until it becomes unresponsive, it’s hard to prepare against because they use the same functionality that the server is supposed to provide in the first place, but all it does is to slow down or take servers online, no data is at risk.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

denial of service.

distributed denial of service, if you were wondering what the other D was.

In essence a mass of computers (usually trojans installed on computers, unbeknownst to the user) spam an IP address or route, to inhibit traffic and or overload the server so it stops working properly.

The only way to really stop that is to find a way to redirect the traffic without losing the legitimate traffic such as us actual users. Or possibly put a buffer on the inbound traffic to only release handshakes in clusters instead of sequentially, thus ignoring multiple handshake requests that come from these DDOS attacks. If you do that though, you could drop legit users too, but at least the currently connected users wouldn’t drop. New connecting users may have an issue though.

Can’t identify the source too easily unless there is a direct link from the zombie computers to the kill command computer, which there probably isn’t if they are smart.

Normal tactics now are probably wait till it blows over, unfortunately. Or if we find the guy, break his kneecaps :p

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: HyugaTaizou.3782

HyugaTaizou.3782

Hi guys,

nope.
https://twitter.com/lizardsquad<;—- it’s these guys. they’re a known hacker group(somebody mentioned it in teamspeak so i googled them)

Yeah I read about them, it’s just that I couldn’t find via Google any of their activity prior to August 2014, so I thought, maybe, just maybe, there’s the possibility it’s just a prank they’re playing to become ‘famous’. ^^;

Stop these DDOS already!

Lightsbane.9012

Hi guys,

nope.
https://twitter.com/lizardsquad<;—- it’s these guys. they’re a known hacker group(somebody mentioned it in teamspeak so i googled them)

Yeah I read about them, it’s just that I couldn’t find via Google any of their activity prior to August 2014, so I thought, maybe, just maybe, there’s the possibility it’s just a prank they’re playing to become ‘famous’. ^^;

a lot of people ask ‘why are they doing this’ in map chat/teamspeak, for hacker groups it’s mostly a ‘why not?’

Stop these DDOS already!

locoman.1974

Hi guys,

nope.

Precisely for the attention… you see on their twitter how they boast about how many followers they had before and after the attacks.

Stop these DDOS already!

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Like a couple people mentioned, these groups often don’t target one game, they target many. Anyway, let’s not give them more of the attention that they desperately crave.

I just want to note: when these malicious incidents happen, please know that we have our NOC investigating almost immediately after they occur.

If you have a technical problem to report, please do so on the Technical Support sub forum: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra