Stop trying to balance around sPVP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Why do you guys continue to make the majority of your balance decisions around sPVP performance when hardly anyone plays it? By any measure, sPVP has been a failed experiment, why does the rest of the game have to suffer through class balance decisions that are clearly 100% targeted at sPVP?

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Because they want people to sPvP and a great reason many don’t (or have tried and given up on it), is because the balance and core fundamentals are kitten.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Why do you guys continue to make the majority of your balance decisions around sPVP performance when hardly anyone plays it? By any measure, sPVP has been a failed experiment, why does the rest of the game have to suffer through class balance decisions that are clearly 100% targeted at sPVP?

I suppose you missed the fact that they are splitting skill changes from now on?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

I suppose you missed the fact that they are splitting skill changes from now on?

Tell that to the recent ele nerfs.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

SPvP has had a bit of rejuvenation from various sites that own private PvP servers offering tournaments and prizes. It’ll take a while for the word to get out, but more people will probably play, if for no other reasons, just for the prizes. This is the beginning of what Anet wants to do with PvP. They didn’t launch with observer mode, or custom arenas, but they’ve always been part of the plan.

Anet had to push things back, because at some point you have to release. Now they’re trying to get more interest in SPvP. It’ll take a while, but I think it will probably get there at some point

Anet isn’t going to go back and redo the skills they’ve already changed, but moving forward, they’ll be keeping SPvP, WvW and PVe changes separate on the occasions they think it will work better that way.

Posted by: Webborox.6473

Webborox.6473

I hope more people play SPvP. It’ll be fun killing people who don’t normally pvp. Especially those who don’t know what “line of sight” is.

Posted by: Demosthene.2195

Demosthene.2195

Rather, I’d say this game has been balanced around PvE far too much from the start.

Direct result of this, WvW with PvE balancing is unbalanced blob-zerg and the PvE content guys give monsters more hp, damage or gimmicky mechanics (move out of AoE circle or die, grind agony resistance) instead of making them interesting to fight. People cried when AC was reworked because suddenly standing in place spamming 12345 was not enough to roll over every trash mob.

Now that word is out AC will be made even easier than it is now, cof p1 spammers rejoice so they have something to do when gates to CoF are closed. You people will never be pleased, not until you get a weapon skill that kills every mob on the map and spawns a precursor with a click of a button.

If PvE was balanced around PvP mechanics, monster difficulty would come from their behaviour, not raw numbers. There would be no need for overpowered consumables, broken skills or agony resistance grinding. Bad players would simply move on and leave, like they did with Tera and similar games where spamming a wow-esque skill macro was not enough to dps the boss and live. But you guys don’t want any of that, doing cof p1 blindfolded with a zerker team all day is your wet dream. Hope you don’t choke on these flaming effigies next time you scream Warrior is OP and Ranger sucks.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

So Elementalists are sad that they can’t fly over the whole freakin’ place in PvE with Ride the Lightning?

Right.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I hope more people play SPvP. It’ll be fun killing people who don’t normally pvp. Especially those who don’t know what “line of sight” is.

These kind of responses are why i never go near sPvP.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So Elementalists are sad that they can’t fly over the whole freakin’ place in PvE with Ride the Lightning?

Right.

Actually, yes. I don’t PvP on my ele and enjoyed using the D/D build for more dynamic gameplay. The RTL change did not nerf the build’s in-fight effectiveness, but it did negatively impact the fun factor. So, yes, I am sad (but not mad).

As to why RTL was not split… isn’t it that the current skill splits run sPvP/PvE + WvW? If so, I’m sure that Eles were using RTL to escape in WvW.

Webborox.6473

Didn’t mean to sound like a jerk about it. People who don’t pvp will get stomped by people who play pvp more. Even if you get stomped the only way to get better IS to get stomped. Someone shouldn’t be able to play pvp if they’re not pvper’s and expect to do well when they have no experience in pvp.

All I’m saying is it’ll be fun to stomp people. If those people can learn what they’re doing wrong and why they died and adapt their playstyle to do better then you can be the one who is stomping people.

Killing new people in pvp is a way to teach them how to pvp believe it or not.

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

Didn’t mean to sound like a jerk about it. People who don’t pvp will get stomped by people who play pvp more. Even if you get stomped the only way to get better IS to get stomped. Someone shouldn’t be able to play pvp if they’re not pvper’s and expect to do well when they have no experience in pvp.

All I’m saying is it’ll be fun to stomp people. If those people can learn what they’re doing wrong and why they died and adapt their playstyle to do better then you can be the one who is stomping people.

i guess this is something PVPers will never understand, you “stomp” someone who usually doesn’t PVP and more than likely they will not PVP again.

PVP in guild wars 2 is a joke anyway, i would be more than happy if they said they were going to concentrate on bigger better more innovative PVE content instead of trying to focus on PVP “balance” that will never appease PVPers anyway.

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

I would SpVp if I could use my skins I have earned in the game <Don’t care about the stats>, vs looking like a fool for months in SpVp.

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

Spvp would be fun if it we needed to fight players not just hold certain spots the longest

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

This, they barely give sPvP any attention other than the balance changes, which is bizzare, I mean why would people play sPvP if you don’t work on it Anet, you are competing with other team based games and MOBA’s and honestly all of those games have tons more features and are a lot more fun than sPvP, so give it up.

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

i guess this is something PVPers will never understand, you “stomp” someone who usually doesn’t PVP and more than likely they will not PVP again.

PVP in guild wars 2 is a joke anyway, i would be more than happy if they said they were going to concentrate on bigger better more innovative PVE content instead of trying to focus on PVP “balance” that will never appease PVPers anyway.

Yeah appeasing to ppl like you is a great way to kill pvp. PvP is boring and repetitive anyway in GW2, so they should pull the plug.

Posted by: Shayne.2504

Shayne.2504

Really most of the arguments are lame. Those that don’t pvp should be stomped, really, how the heck is that going to happen since they don’t play pvp? Didn’t Arena Net learn from Guild Wars 1? PvP dictating to PvE is a mistake.

scerevisiae.1972

SPvP has had a bit of rejuvenation from various sites that own private PvP servers offering tournaments and prizes. .

I’ve only seen a handful of custom servers and they always seem to be empty…

Vayne.8563

SPvP has had a bit of rejuvenation from various sites that own private PvP servers offering tournaments and prizes. .

Right, because tournaments have schedules. They’re not random. It’s not like playing on a custom server the rest of the time nets you anything.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

And the +100% buff to the most OP build (100b) in the game. It was the first time since aoe fleeing in GW1 that a.net made such a stupid line in the patch notes.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

100b is op?

o_0

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

100b is op?

o_0

in PvE i think nobody doubts its the most OP thing this game ever seen.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Webborox.6473

Yeah appeasing to ppl like you is a great way to kill pvp. PvP is boring and repetitive anyway in GW2, so they should pull the plug.

If you think PvP is boring and repetitive anyways why are you even in this thread? You know there will be PvP discussion in this thread. You don’t like PvP. Anything you say will be one-sided and will contribute nothing.

EDIT: If you don’t care for PvP get out. There IS PvP discussion in this thread. We need constructive feedback not one-sided feedback based on what you THINK. I find PvP fun. You don’t. That’s your opinion.

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

As long s pvp has noting to do with pve there is absolutely no point to go there. Instead i go to wvsw.

scerevisiae.1972

Right, because tournaments have schedules. They’re not random. It’s not like playing on a custom server the rest of the time nets you anything.

If spvp were popular, there would be people playing all the time – they aren’t, so why are all the balance decisions being based on a failed game format? Makes zero sense.

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

spvp is fail not because class weren’t balanced it failed because it’s boring. I’m not sure in what world do they think it’s fun to just take a beating as long as you can is fun.

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

Right.

Eles are sad because their 1 movement skill got a kick in the balls nerf while every other class that has movement skills did not.

and the mistform nerf which was a bit cheap but its not like light armor users are tanks and can take everything.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

This game made with the intent of being pvp focused imo. I pve and many of the skills are just useless when compared to the giant health pools of dungeon mobs. Those skills I dont use are very usefull againts players I would guess. For example I could trait my thief to do damage when I steal but whoop dee doo the amount of damage it does is so puny compared to the monster. Now in pvp I could see that making a difference. I dont know why they do or did I guess they havent given up. And like others said Anet claims they will split skills between pvp and pve.

Posted by: earthwormjim.5914

earthwormjim.5914

No, stop trying to balance around pve, wvw instead. Nothing but crybabies looking for easy loot in pve.

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Because they want people to sPvP and a great reason many don’t (or have tried and given up on it), is because the balance and core fundamentals are kitten.

I don’t sPvP for the same reason I didn’t do arena’s in WoW, I hate pointless cage fights. No amount of “balance” changes will amke me care about sPvP.

Vayne.8563

If spvp were popular, there would be people playing all the time – they aren’t, so why are all the balance decisions being based on a failed game format? Makes zero sense.

I don’t think it’s quite this simple. Sometimes something in a game starts off with less fanfare and becomes popular. I’m thinking that SPvP has the potential to become popular. Anet is working toward that. You can’t say because it’s not “popular” at the moment that it will never be.

But anyway, the skills should be divided so that one side of the coin doesn’t affect they other.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

First off I don’t do any sort of PvP in this game. Main reason is balance. To me when you take a game like this its almost next to impossible to balance it with so much variation to consider. Something is always going to be better than something else.

I like pvp with hard set standards like the Wintersday snowball fights. It was easy to understand and everyone knew what they were up against and how to deal with it.

To stay on topic I believe that all three instances should be judged separately PvE, WvW, and SPvP.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |