Stop trying to make a LFG system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Just hire the guy from gw2lfg.

You already did a web-interface-thingie with the trading post, and gw2lfg is very wesome. Just integrate it into the game, don’t reinvent the wheel.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I think what they are planning is better personally……..

Instead of having to FIND a group you will be able to go with almost anyone. That’s how it should have been in the first place.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Yviz.1053

Yviz.1053

Yeah, just add the link to the game launcher or send everyone mail or soemthing so it gets even more exposure. No need to waste valuable dev time coding one in-game when there’s already one working.

PowerCat.5738

No, I mean ingame. Like the trading post interface – it’s a web-app.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Instead of having to FIND a group you will be able to go with almost anyone. That’s how it should have been in the first place.

Can someone link what Arenanet’s plan are for a LFG tool?

PowerCat.5738

Nothing was announced, but I hope it’s not a “random group finder” like the toypocalipse.

Paulytnz.7619

You guys must not see the update info before logging into the forums.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/fractals-of-the-mists-dungeon-improvements/

Usually to see the latest info click on the “Guildwars2.com” link at the very top of this page and you will see the releases.

PowerCat.5738

You guys must not see the update info before logging into the forums.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/fractals-of-the-mists-dungeon-improvements/

Usually to see the latest info click on the “Guildwars2.com” link at the very top of this page and you will see the releases.

That has nothing to do with party finder. It’s just changing the level dynamics.

Paulytnz.7619

“This makes it difficult for lower fractal-level players to find parties, so we’ve modified the party-level restrictions to allow players of any fractal level to group up. "

Certainly seems to be what they are planning to do about the lfg problem however. As I stated in my first post here, seems better to me this than just adding a lfg tool. Sure a lfg tool/system might speed the process up even further with this, but I would say this needs to be added first.

Posted by: Groovy.6749

Groovy.6749

I am pleased with this decision from ANet. This shows they respect their customers’ time as per said in their manifesto: No matter which time as which we login, our playtime is as valuable as the next person.

I know LFG tools are not the best answer to the grouping issue, but it currently is the lesser of two evils. When/if ANet finds a better solution down the line, then I’d have no qualms with them removing the LFG tool and implementing whatever they created instead.

So thank you ANet for respecting our time, we really appreciate the gesture.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

This update is only for Fractals. There are 8 other dungeons. We still need a LFG system, and OP’s suggestion is valid in addition to the changes planned for fractals. The fractals changes update who you can go with for fractals only, but not HOW to find them nor how to find groups for the other 8 dungeons.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I agree, if their focus was really supposed to be dungeons, we should have been told since before launch instead of being told that open world was the focus, AND they should have had a LFG tool in place at launch.

Now we have a game that has neither and open world environment worth anything and no LFG tool for dungeons.

It’s extremely frustrating.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

It’s almost better to have GW2LFG because I find the people who tend to post there are better than average (since they care enough to post there).

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Falcon Night.4653

Falcon Night.4653

GW2LFG is good. Only thing is, the need to Alt-Tab out of game to post or to see who has posted, when you are ready to go dungeon running. I haven’t personally used it. And the last couple of weeks my client has been DC’ing so much that I don’t dare run dungeons. But I guess it’s better than what ANET has currently.

These are not the droid you are looking for, move along… → ESO, FireFall, NW :)

Posted by: FacesOfMu.3561

FacesOfMu.3561

I agree with Groovy comments that LFG tools are the lesser of two evils. I haven’t used the website, but my first glance at it is “Ugh! A lifeless ugly table!”. Sure, the aesthetics are not comparable to the function, but it appears so kitten lifeless.

If they internalise an LFG tool into the game, I wonder if there’s a way of making the appearance of grouping more lively and interactive? Maybe something that lets you see the groups grow and form as people are waiting. You can look to see who is in groups, and those who join groups (obviously) have their “listing” immediately removed.
The content of these aren’t relevant but the design ideas are the kind of thing that’d make looking for groups more than lists and tables:
http://globalmoxie.com/bm~pix/Radial~s800x800.jpg
http://www.thewanderlust.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/radialMenu.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bwmca-mJa20/UHqWflBnQxI/AAAAAAAAEuQ/bJcRJB7zIQ0/s1600/radial+menu.jpg
http://blog.fatal-abstraction.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ColorIt-Menu.png

They look unfortunately consoley, but would nicely represent the fluidic movement of grouping and joining with others.

People vary.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

It’s almost better to have GW2LFG because I find the people who tend to post there are better than average (since they care enough to post there).

I disagree . that site has no guard against false listings . Until that site has better implementation its flawed beyond belief .

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I wonder if people even noticed that you can mark yourself as “searching for party” in contacts tab. You could call that simple LFG system. Only problem is that nobody is using it but everyone is spamming lfg this or that.
It probably takes some work but it could be LFG system that we need by simply adding option to write what you are looking group for.

edit: typo

(edited by kRiza krimos.1637)

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

The lfg hate bandwagon is simply laughable. Yes, lfg has had its problems in other games. But does anyone stop to wonder why?

The most common compliant you see thrown around is community. It kills community because people don’t talk. That is bull. It kill community because ninjas are allowed to run rampant. This would not be an issue with gw2.

As there is no possible way to ninja, the primary argument against lfg tools has very little weight other than a group on bandwagon players who don’t want it simply due to its negative relation to other games. Don’t be a sheep. Stop and think critically about what a tool like this can do for a game that has a anti ninja loot system. Heck, measures could even be taken to group people with thier own server more often than grouping them with others. Community can not only survive, but can thrive on a lfg tool in a game like GW2.

Posted by: Elloa.5241

Elloa.5241

I’ll certainly not use any sort of wow-like dungeon finder anyway. I’m still convinced that’s one of the features that helped to completly destroy the sense of community there was still left in Wow before uts implementation

Elloa, Sylvari Mesmer [MIST] Streaming most evening on TwichTV: http://www.twitch.tv/elloawendy

Posted by: Kirrlaos.7380

Kirrlaos.7380

I’ll certainly not use any sort of wow-like dungeon finder anyway. I’m still convinced that’s one of the features that helped to completly destroy the sense of community there was still left in Wow before uts implementation

And yet you rather people stand around spamming lfg in lions arch? 95% of the people go there to find a party for dungeons since its the hub world so to speak.

People don’t get it, its not a “dungeon finder” that kills the game, its like saying guns kill people. (and before some smart kitten comes a long, guns do kill people if SOME one if using it to do so, guns by them selfs don’t go around shooting people)

Your going to ask why does a dungeon finder not kill it? Sure you get shoved in groups of random people who don’t talk 99% of the time save for .. ok this is how I pull this boss or something. But are you really killing the community? Nope not one bit why? How do I come to this point? Simple .. Its already been killed, how? What do people that want to do dungeons do 99% of the time they are in game? Spam LFG LFG LFG LFG LFG LFG LFG LFG .. You get the point.

A dungeon finder shuts up those people and lets us people who wish to map/town chat (outside of the trolls) for what is meant to be. Thus in a manner fixing the broken community .. Even though it kinda shrinks it.

Posted by: Negrul.5423

Negrul.5423

If it’s anything other than a proper Dungeon Finder, it will be a dead game as far as I’m concerned.

However, if they choose to go the right way by implementing a Dungeon Finder or the completely wrong way with an “improved” LFG tool, I would very much like to know why they made that choice (whichever it will be).

Proper Dungeon Finder is needed.