...Storm Bow inbound?

...Storm Bow inbound?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/gw2-upcoming-items-from-aug-9-patch-2.jpg

Found this on Dulfy. Are we finally getting the Stormbow? And if that is the Stormbow, do you like it?

Personally I kinda liked the glowing chaos look with swirling lightning, but this…it looks pretty awesome as well. I just wonder what the effects will look like.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I really, really hope not. I loved the stormbow skin in GW1, and, although that skin is ok looking, it is NOT the stormbow. Every time they try and “modernize” the skins for GW2, they just make them worse. I have read tons of threads over the last 4 years, and players have been asking for the original armor/weapon skins…not someone’s reimagined version.

This, imo, is the reason so many of the movie reboots fail. People liked the original. Stop trying to change things that were great already.

Attachments:

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/gw2-upcoming-items-from-aug-9-patch-2.jpg

Found this on Dulfy. Are we finally getting the Stormbow? And if that is the Stormbow, do you like it?

Personally I kinda liked the glowing chaos look with swirling lightning, but this…it looks pretty awesome as well. I just wonder what the effects will look like.

I had a chance to look at the link in-game. It’s a skin link (not a weapon) with no name. That’s a better match for an NPC item or a bundle. If we’re to eventually receive it, it’s not ready yet.

Given the style, I would guess it’s one of the abandoned legendaries.

The staff listed in the same post is also an unnamed skin link, but it doesn’t look legendary to me.

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I like the screenshot from dulfy better than I liked the Storm Bow in GW1. Similarly, the Fiery Dragon Sword in GW1 was ok, while the FDS in GW2 is one of my favorite skins.

And sure, reboots fail, while others succeed (some Spiderman/Batman movies were great, some were meh). A good reboot is awesome because it gets us right in our nostalgia and is worth it on its own merits. A bad reboot is, of course, far worse than just something bad, for the same reasons.

Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower” is good; Hendrix’ is better. (Well, to me, anyhow.)

tl;dr it’s good to evaluate things on their own merits before dismissing something as being unworthy as a reboot, sequel, successor, clone, etc.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Part of me wants to say this’ll be gemstore..

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

I had a chance to look at the link in-game. It’s a skin link (not a weapon) with no name. That’s a better match for an NPC item or a bundle. If we’re to eventually receive it, it’s not ready yet.

Given the style, I would guess it’s one of the abandoned legendaries.

The staff listed in the same post is also an unnamed skin link, but it doesn’t look legendary to me.

The staff is the envoy staff from GW1. I would suspect they will both be gemstore items since i can’t see them putting gw1 stuff in as game rewards.

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I really, really hope not. I loved the stormbow skin in GW1, and, although that skin is ok looking, it is NOT the stormbow. Every time they try and “modernize” the skins for GW2, they just make them worse.

May be nostalgia speaking. Personally, to me, that new skin is way better (and yes, i am a GW1 veteran too).

The staff will likely be a gemstore item. It’s an envoy weapon, with ties to Cantha, so it’s extremely unlikely to end up as LS/open world reward. Theoretically it might be a fractal one from some new fractal as well (but i don’t think anyone here is going to actually believe that) or a new raid skin (due to name tie with envoy armor).

Still, gemstore is the most likely idea.

(though if the bow is not a legendary longbow skin, i will be extremely disappointed)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

I think most of the legacy skins look great. Ice Breaker and FDS/IDS crossed over really well, and this Storm Bow looks amazing. It looked cheap and weird in GW1, tbh, though it WAS cool. Reaver axe was kind of disappointing (too small!), all the other regular GW1 skins look pretty much the same except a handful of Tormented ones. The Zodiac weapons kind of suck. They don’t have the darker bits for contrast as the original and kind of look like rubbery toys in GW2

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I like the screenshot from dulfy better than I liked the Storm Bow in GW1. Similarly, the Fiery Dragon Sword in GW1 was ok, while the FDS in GW2 is one of my favorite skins.

And sure, reboots fail, while others succeed (some Spiderman/Batman movies were great, some were meh). A good reboot is awesome because it gets us right in our nostalgia and is worth it on its own merits. A bad reboot is, of course, far worse than just something bad, for the same reasons.

Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower” is good; Hendrix’ is better. (Well, to me, anyhow.)

tl;dr it’s good to evaluate things on their own merits before dismissing something as being unworthy as a reboot, sequel, successor, clone, etc.

Good points about reboots. Although I think many or even most times people reboot something that is already successful because they want to ride on that success. In those cases, the original is successful because it is already good. So when people reboot it, it is almost never as good as the successful version. In the case of classic songs, I’m always like “Why are you covering that song? You’re never going to be Michael Jackson” or whoever.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Warrioress.2750

Warrioress.2750

I have never played gw1 so i can’t speak on that. But looking at the gw1 model and this possible gw2 model, i much prefer the newer one. If this was/is going to be a legendary i’D go for it, without a seconds thought. It’s just so gorgeous! Please, anet, bring this into the game!

I have many skills- Xena

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The new storm bow looks much better. Too bad it will likely be a gemstore item

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I was thinking a 4th birthday select-a-weapon-skin box.

Well…
It could have been worse, it could have been 1000 gems.

(edited by Justine.6351)

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Unlikely. It will 99% chance be a gemshop item similar to chaos gloves

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Good points about reboots. Although I think many or even most times people reboot something that is already successful because they want to ride on that success. In those cases, the original is successful because it is already good. So when people reboot it, it is almost never as good as the successful version. In the case of classic songs, I’m always like “Why are you covering that song? You’re never going to be Michael Jackson” or whoever.

I don’t understand what that has to do with the Storm Bow or, more specifically, this Storm Bow. ANet is taking their own skin and updating it for their own sequel. To argue that they shouldn’t is like saying they shouldn’t have made Guild Wars 2, because it’s riding off the success of Guild Wars 1 (while true, it has little to do with whether GW2 can be a good/great game on its own merits).

This isn’t Clash of the Titans (2010). This is closer to Paul McCartney deciding to sing a Beatles tune.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Gonna hate this bow if it has that long piece of string to pull the arrow. Really anet, please make that string a bolt of lightning when u pull it. And, if this turns out to be a legendary, please let it shoot bolts of lightning.

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Fancypants.9705

Fancypants.9705

I love that bow i think it rocks. Will def be on my to buy list if it comes out.

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The bow shown is very nice. I would want it in addition to something more like the original stormbow, not instead.

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I don’t understand what that has to do with the Storm Bow or, more specifically, this Storm Bow. ANet is taking their own skin and updating it for their own sequel. To argue that they shouldn’t is like saying they shouldn’t have made Guild Wars 2, because it’s riding off the success of Guild Wars 1 (while true, it has little to do with whether GW2 can be a good/great game on its own merits).

This isn’t Clash of the Titans (2010). This is closer to Paul McCartney deciding to sing a Beatles tune.

Just saying that sometimes making a new version of a really good thing isn’t the best idea. Make a completely new thing instead.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The only thing the new version’s lacking that the old one had is the distinctive ‘spikes’ on the end of the bow.

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Actually it does have those distinctive spikes in preview.
They are just much more translucent. A little too translucent imo.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

...Storm Bow inbound?

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Actually, that would be kinda awesome.

A choice of special weapon skins, only accessable via a four year old character.

It’s like the story reward of GW1 (or GW2 for that matter, even though you can trade them), where at the end of the campaign, you got awarded with one weapon of a particular set.

This could be a very interesting equivalent.