Straits and Melchor's Leap, Why?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Carter.3865

Carter.3865

So, I’m finally on my way to Orr. But first I go through Straits and Melchor’s Leap.
I have to ask though, what is the point of these zones?
I mean what were the devs thinking of when they made them?
It isn’t fun at all, just stupid.
The majority of events are for parties, hardly no one there or no one wants to do them.
Because the events dont get completed most of the WPs are contested so when we die it’s back to near the start.
Mobs all over the place and the respawns? omg. I killed a few in front of me and carried on forward only to have the ones respawn behind me and join in killig me.
I’m glad I’ve got past these 2 zones but I certainly am not looking forward to going to them again on another character, it’s just death after death

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

Just the way it is.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Just the way it is.

Some things will never change / that’s just the way it is

Orr was designed by Bruce Hornsby.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

well thematically..I can see where they were going. You arent in Kansas anymore. You are waging war in Zhaitan’s back yard, Malchors leap is literally where the risen begin. You wouldnt expect to go behind enemy lines and see no enemies. It sucks that they are frenzied, have all kinds of cc and run faster than you..but you can get around easily. I have a friend who collects all Ori naked and she does it every day..so you can do it, you just cant overpower these zones like you are used to.

Posted by: geets.9035

geets.9035

Orr is suppose to be tough however imho a combination of over nerfing orr combined with the fotm dungeon have indeed completely killed orr, the temples/waypoints are always contested and the temple gear is unavailable to most new fresh level 80s..

I love the original game as released but do not think well of the new content or anets heavy handed nerfs and stealth nerfs on DE timers, continued DR and stealth reduced drop rates on loot in general its a confusing direction which is heading the opposite direction of the original games feel good and have fun approach..

Being the game is only 3 months old we need to cut anet some slack as they try to cut their newbie teeth on a project that is obviously bigger and tougher than they can chew without the help of making bitter and angry kneejerk reactions that complicate simple problems that need softer thoughtful simple solutions….

(edited by geets.9035)

Posted by: sinisterpink.7912

sinisterpink.7912

So, I’m finally on my way to Orr. But first I go through Straits and Melchor’s Leap.
I have to ask though, what is the point of these zones?
I mean what were the devs thinking of when they made them?
It isn’t fun at all, just stupid.
The majority of events are for parties, hardly no one there or no one wants to do them.
Because the events dont get completed most of the WPs are contested so when we die it’s back to near the start.
Mobs all over the place and the respawns? omg. I killed a few in front of me and carried on forward only to have the ones respawn behind me and join in killig me.
I’m glad I’ve got past these 2 zones but I certainly am not looking forward to going to them again on another character, it’s just death after death

Here is the concept behind Orr, as I see it:

It’s a warzone: You are frequently pitted against mobs because it’s a perpetual battle against endless risen. It’s an area where standing toe-to-toe with every single mob isn’t always the answer. Finding ways to avoid engagements is just as important as taking down your threats.

It’s challenging: Orr maps are currently among the highest level maps the game has to offer. It’s designed to be hard, it isn’t supposed to be a walk in a park where you can stroll on by from event to resource node at a leisurely pace. The denizens of Orr were dragged unwillingly to their watery doom and, in their undeath, are intent on inflicting the same pain unto you with their swarms and abilities.

It encourages cooperation: Many of the chain events are impossible to complete with only a handful of players. The map and terrain will remain hostile and inaccessible to everyone, if an effort isn’t coordinated to take back territory. These dynamics are designed to encourage players to communicate and cooperate to accomplish feats (events) that are larger than themselves.

The issue with you not being able to find players to help you isn’t inherently a problem with map design. Some servers have higher player populations in certain brackets over others, some communities have different styles of how they participate in those zones. My server for instance (Sea of Sorrows) almost always has people running chain events and zerging in Straights of Destruction, which surprises many people migrating from other certain servers because that simply doesn’t exist there. Sometimes, a good synergy of players doing events just requires you to be somewhere at the right place, at the right time.

TL;DR – These zones are working as intended, it sometimes just requires a little luck/patience to get a group to do what you wanna do.

Quest for 100 level 80 characters: 25% Completed…

Carter.3865

It is not challenging at all.
It’s impossible to survive.
Respawns are just stupid. I’m at the Shore now and wanted a skill point so a group of us went on our way. Theres a champ to kill to get to said Skill point.
We clear the trash and then start on the Champ. By the time we get the champ down to a quarter of health all the mobs respawn and we die
How is that challenging unless you are in a massive group and as I said, groups are hard to come by.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

The Straits and Malchor’s biggest problem is that people tend not to hang around there, essentially they are a route to the Cursed Shore and nothing else. By the time you reach these zones you are probably already level 80 (and if you aren’t there are much easier places to get those extra couple of levels) so all they are is a roadblock between you and where you actually want to be. The elaborate event chains running throughout the zones don’t get activated or won for the most part because there aren’t enough people to push them. While this may not be true of all servers, I believe that it is true for most of them. So while I’m sure the zones are well-crafted, the need to run through them in a group in order to enjoy the content means that a lot of people just don’t bother.

TL;DR – The zones aren’t badly designed in and of themselves, they just aren’t utilised by players.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I love Malchor’s leap. It’s my favorite orr map and this is where I play when I’m alone.

You probably just need better organization. Everything in GW2 can be done with a party of 5 or lower.

(edited by Haishao.6851)

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The Straits and Malchor’s biggest problem is that people tend not to hang around there

Pretty much.

Orr would be a fun place to be at if there were a lot of players around. Most dynamic events require a party, which means those two zones really reward cooperation between players; the large number of enemies and the fast respawn rate means that a lot of people playing there will always have enemies to kill.

The issue is that both areas are nearly empty, now more than ever (thanks, Fractals!), so the content that was meant to be engaging with a lot of other players is just annoying when playing by yourself.

I understand the idea behind the zones. It’s a good thing to see areas in which player actions really change how the places play (different enemies and different environmental hazards and different events and even different waypoints if the Temples are contested or not), but it’s unfortunate that there are never enough players to actually have an effect in those maps.

(Although, the enemy necromancers with 1200 range really annoy me. It’s a pain to be fighting other enemies and suddenly begin being hit by enemies who aren’t even showing on my screen.)

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Apathy.6430

Apathy.6430

The problem is that there exists very little reason to leave LA at the moment for high level characters.

Posted by: Robique.8279

Robique.8279

Yet another reason to implement “underflow” feature.
(If a zone has very little players you’ll get into a different servers zone that has more players).
As it is now, playing in these zones alone or with a group of 5 or less is a HUGE pain in the kitten and not fun at all.
I’m stuck at 98% world completition… Why? Contested temples – impossible to retake.
Exploring WvW maps was easier than this.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Those zones are exactly what they said they would be: warzones, the land of Orr, where enemy presence is high (duh, it’s their base of operations) and walking alone isn’t recommended.

I love these Orr haters.
Orr is 800% easier than any lvl 20 zone in GW1 which we used to solo.
I’m sorry the new generation believes everything should be a pushover with no challenge whatsoever – GW2 already went downhill when it comes to presenting challenge, but it’s not enough it seems: it needs to be a complete walk in the park to make the new gen gamer happy, and difficulty should be present in dungeons only.

Yeah, no.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I actually explored it all and quickly grabbed a waypoint in the level80 zones, because the waypoint next to the exit even got contested.
They made both – 70-75 and 75-80 zones hardcore. There are the infested zones, the war is raging there. They were imagining that both of these zones will be heavily populated with players, however most people if they want to farm will go straight to level 80 zone and if they want to mine ori then Karka zone and level 70-80 zone are both friendly for that, so there’s no reason besides full world explore to go there. There was a topic about this somewhere before, but I’ll repeat on what I said – they should probably cut down on the amount of enemies or somehow make sure that there ARE people in those zones.

Robique.8279

Can you please do us all a favor and upload a video of you retaking a temple solo.
Shouldn’t be that hard since it’s 800% easier.
Would be very much appreciated, couse apparently all the Orr haters need to learn from a GW1 veteran such as yourself.

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Fresh 80, and new to GW2 here and it has realy been no problem moving around Orr. The Risen do have anoying as all hell skills like, but they are not by any means hard to avoid.

And Rob he said nothing about soloing a temple lol, mitt romney liked to put words into peoples mouths to.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I wish I was a Risen sometimes in game, they can run like atheletes compared to me. They are more like the infected from ‘28 Days Later’ than the undead.

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

There is a fine line between a challenge and being annoying. Orr is annoying. But those fresh 70’s/80’s in Yaks Bend, ask for Shavo in map chat when you are in the fort trinity area, it is my 80 charr warrior, I will help you atleast get to cursed shore, where the Exotic Karma Vendors are at.

I am pretty sure there is a group event that happens by breaking a wall down. To enter the Ruins of Orr first, out of fort Trinity so keep an eye open for that event poping. I help with that, and I try to help fresh 70/80’s get to cursed shore. I offer to help because I know how much of a pain in the ars it was just to get to cursed shore.

Carter.3865

And I never said it should be a pushover.
but come on, its obvious that ppl dont want to do the events there, or most of them so it means a very hard time getting round. The stepup from the last Heart quest area to these is massive and I’ve been doing them at lvl 80.

Robique.8279

Oh god… Pearl, really?!
He said: “Orr is 800% easier than any lvl 20 zone in GW1 which we used to solo.”
Can you comprehend the meaning of that sentence?
Here, let me explain part by part:
“Orr”
Orr consists of 3 high lvl maps, including all the group/dynamic events within those zones. Events to retake the temples fall into that category.
“is 800% easier than”
This means, it should be very easy compared to…
“any lvl20 zone in GW1”
These are highlvl zones in GW1 which he is comparing to the hihglvl zones in GW2 (Orr).
“which we used to solo.”
Let me point out the word “we” here, couse it seems that one is giving you trouble understanding. “We” means “me and other people”.

Therefore there shouldn’t be any problem for him to solo ANYTHING within the Orr zones, right?

Apathy.6430

GW1 wasn’t difficult in the slightest.

You could do about 80-90% of the game naked with no skills and just let hench do everything.

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

He never said anything about soloing Temples. He said we used to solo in GW1, fun attack though I enjoyed it.

Posted by: Gandolfi.1507

Gandolfi.1507

I wish I was a Risen sometimes in game, they can run like atheletes compared to me. They are more like the infected from ‘28 Days Later’ than the undead.

Risen as the next playable race, anyone?

<j/k>

Godrik Gandolfi – human warrior; Lucius Foestabber – charr reaper
The Path Least Travelled, Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

Respawns are just stupid. I’m at the Shore now and wanted a skill point so a group of us went on our way. Theres a champ to kill to get to said Skill point.
We clear the trash and then start on the Champ. By the time we get the champ down to a quarter of health all the mobs respawn and we die
How is that challenging unless you are in a massive group and as I said, groups are hard to come by.

You will learn soon enough that there are no room for glass cannons.
Get some defensive status and clear your way through.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Can you please do us all a favor and upload a video of you retaking a temple solo.
Shouldn’t be that hard since it’s 800% easier.
Would be very much appreciated, couse apparently all the Orr haters need to learn from a GW1 veteran such as yourself.

I’ve solo’d Dwayna, though when I did, I found it already on the last step. I’ve also done Grenth with 2 other random people. Only Lyssa really needs a full group due to the events that need to be protected, and Melandru, due to the transformation.

Also, GW1 isn’t challenging at all. A long time ago it was (henchmen, no flagging), but now it’s just "c " and afk with full heroes through 99% of the game on hard mode.

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

The point is for the people in the first month who cleared it to see the content and then never come back.

You know. Like Orr, where you’re headed. Actually, like everything outside FotM now that 90% of the game outside LA is a complete ghost town and not worth visiting.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Orr is crazy but I think they didn’t take into account that the fractals would take over entire servers so they definitely need to fix some things there.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Mirta.5029

The point is for the people in the first month who cleared it to see the content and then never come back.

You know. Like Orr, where you’re headed. Actually, like everything outside FotM now that 90% of the game outside LA is a complete ghost town and not worth visiting.

The thing is that besides the group events that are respawning other zones are prepared for low population. I have characters in low level zones and mid level zones (only 2 out of my 5 chars are level 80) and you can solo those. It’s nicely balanced that you could run it even if you’re the last person on Earth. Not Orr though. Orr is a horrible zone when it comes to low population.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

TL;DR – These zones are working as intended, it sometimes just requires a little luck/patience to get a group to do what you wanna do.

No it’s not, a warzone is one ARMY against another, not one sucker versus an entire enemy force. Malchor’s Leap and the Straits do not work because nobody goes there, and nobody goes there because there is no reason to once you have managed to get through them.

Apathy.6430

No it’s not, a warzone is one ARMY against another, not one sucker versus an entire enemy force. Malchor’s Leap or the Straits don’t work because nobody goes there, and nobody goes there because there is no reason to once you have managed to get through them.

There’s no reason to go there before you get to them. You can just flat out never go there.

Mirta.5029

No it’s not, a warzone is one ARMY against another, not one sucker versus an entire enemy force. Malchor’s Leap or the Straits don’t work because nobody goes there, and nobody goes there because there is no reason to once you have managed to get through them.

There’s no reason to go there before you get to them. You can just flat out never go there.

Ignoring a problem is not fixing it. Most people like the level 80 zone. There’s a dungeon and always a nice amount of people. You go trough Malchor’s Leap and the 70-75 zone to GET there. By not going there you can not a) do the world completion b)mine extra nodes c) run an extra dungeon d) get into a zone with high population, lots of people and events. There’s a lot of reasons to actually go trough there at least, but it’s really annoying.

Apathy.6430

Oh…Arah and Cursed Shore are dead on my server.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

It encourages cooperation: Many of the chain events are impossible to complete with only a handful of players. The map and terrain will remain hostile and inaccessible to everyone, if an effort isn’t coordinated to take back territory. These dynamics are designed to encourage players to communicate and cooperate to accomplish feats (events) that are larger than themselves.

You are missing his point completely: He CAN’T cooperate with others because there aren’t any other people there. Any who are there are merely going from one zone to the next to save on teleport fees. There are (usually) very few people either farming those zones or going through them for the first time.

Furthermore, when he is there, he’s finding (as everybody does) that there are usually few uncontested waypoints. So, if he dies (because he is forced to solo it), he has to start back at Ft. Trinity. It’s darned frustrating going through there. It almost got me to quit playing entirely, and I’m sure it has ended many people’s attempts to continue playing.

ANet needs to nerf the overall structure, so that the NPCs can more commonly take back some of the waypoints without human intervention. Otherwise, they are basically permanently contested.

Carter.3865

Daddicus has put it right, he knows what I am saying
I have just finished Cursed Shore and now I shall be out of there and probably not go back. this is the problem.

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Stop saying it’s a warzone, for kittens sake.

The undead dragon is defeated, his necromancers destroyed and corpse supply denied.

Yet there are more risen in orr than there are in story missions.

It makes no sense at all.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

I get the impression Anet is intentionally trying to drive players away from the game.

Daddicus.6128

You are correct. However, it’s not the size of the mobs. There are three factors that play against you in this zone (which are NOT your problems; ANet needs to correct this for first-timers):

First, you aren’t as experienced. There are tactics and strategies that work against the Risen, even in mobs. One still cannot solo champions, but they’re called “Group Events” for a reason. Skip the skill points, hearts, and vistas until you have more experience.

Second, you don’t have the skillset yet. People close to 80 and those newly arrived at 80th level don’t have all their skills yet. So, some of the valid tactics one might use aren’t available to you.

Third, you don’t have the gear needed. It is simply amazing how much top gear is worth. Not Legendary, but just exotic (or close to it). In Malchor’s or Cursed Shore there’s a temple of Lyssa. To defeat it took about 30 people an hour or so. But, at the end, a Karma armor merchant showed up. I bought a chest armor piece. (I could only afford one piece of armor.)

I am simply amazed at how survivable I’ve become due to that one piece of armor. Add to that a couple of near-max weapons, and I’m a lot tougher now. I can’t solo my way through Straits or Malchor’s yet, but at least there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

I believe two people can run through most of these zones together. Find a guildie or sit around in Trinity a while asking if anybody wants to explore with you. If you can’t find anybody, try looking me up in-game: Naif Foundstone or Clarissa Clawshadow.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

One still cannot solo champions, but they’re called “Group Events” for a reason.

I’m exploring the entirety of Malchor’s Leap. So far, only one thing has been giving me trouble (the Statue of Melandkittenll point; it’s underwater, near a lot of enemies, and the statue inflicts bleeding and cripple to anyone near it), everything else has been done without too many issues.

The zone is simply not fun, though. I have ignored all group events since there are not enough players in the zone to make a group; which means I have ignored huge parts of content in the area. It’s not fun to have to run from all champions, avoid areas with group events, and etc.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Well I soloed all exploration in all Orr zones (beside the temples obviously) as an engi in lvl-80 rares.
It is possible. But it takes some deaths to do it. Some Lyssa altars are a real pain to do >_>

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I don’t mine Straits of Devastation, I was able to finish it, but Malchors leap, I literally despise.. Been trying for a while to get all the vistas and skill points and waypoints.. just too many mobs and fast re-spawn.. if they didn’t re-spawn so fast it might not be so bad. And the contested waypoints all the time is irritating.. It is fine to make them constested letting us know there is events going on, but let us make the choice if we ant to use them ore not.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Daddicus.6128

I don’t mine Straits of Devastation, I was able to finish it, but Malchors leap, I literally despise.. Been trying for a while to get all the vistas and skill points and waypoints.. just too many mobs and fast re-spawn.. if they didn’t re-spawn so fast it might not be so bad. And the contested waypoints all the time is irritating.. It is fine to make them constested letting us know there is events going on, but let us make the choice if we ant to use them ore not.

It’s the opposite for me (I despise Straits but find Malchor’s tolerable). I suspect the difference is profession and play-style.

Posted by: Katostrophe.3274

Katostrophe.3274

Carter, don’t take this the wrong way but you are COMPLETELY wrong and kind of being a child.

It is NOT impossible, and if you think it is then please improve skillwise. I have solo’d all three of those locations on 3 separate classes; ranger, guardian, and elementalist. 100% completion all 3 of them and FREQUENTLY go there to gather ore and wood. So please don’t say ‘impossible’ when you lack skill

Orr is a total nonstop battle zone, which is why it better be hard. It is also the main level 80 zone so they aren’t going to spoon-feed anything to you in that area like they did in all others. Improve, and have fun.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I played gw1 from the beginning. I would say that the most difficult zones in gw1 were challenging. I very much enjoyed them. Did I find them difficult to do at first? Yes. Did I enjoy working on strategy and timing and skill to master them? Yes. Did we (my friends and I) do them many times? Yes. Why? They were fun.

Do I find Orr difficult? No. Do I find Orr challenging? No. Do I find Orr fun? No. Well then, what do I find Orr to be? A very tedious place where I need to complete some tasks. Once I finish these tasks, will I go back there? Kitten no.

So, I guess there are two discussions going on here. One is, “Is Orr difficult or impossible to do?” The other discussion is “Is Orr annoying and tedious or fun and challenging?”

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

(edited by Katz.5143)

Posted by: deborah.2068

deborah.2068

First of all the zone was designed imo for people to be there. I can say the zone, having been there when people are there and when people arent, is more rewarding with more people there. Try on the weekend I hear there are more there on the weekend.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

I love Malchor’s leap. It’s my favorite orr map and this is where I play when I’m alone.

You probably just need better organization. Everything in GW2 can be done with a party of 5 or lower.

Exaggeration much? No you can’t 5 man “Everything”.

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

Let’s get this outta the way right off the top: tedious is not synonymous with challenging. That’s a conflation a lot of gamer folk seem to routinely make.

I experienced a high level of tedium while trying to navigate Orr. Which is to say not play in Orr, but move around in Orr and get to the parts I actually wanted to play in.

I didn’t find the challenge of the zones to be all that extreme. But getting anywhere was a footslog. It was not remotely enjoyable in most cases, which is key.

Teaming with others mitigated but did not negate this issue. One is able to move through the terrain quicker with a party, but the tedious process of doing so is still there. Also, the mob density tends to put a harsher light on existing mechanical/system bugs/shortcomings. Such as, for example, the clunkiness of targeting, and the number of problems and bugs associated with underwater combat.

I found the design of Malchor’s Leap to be particularly poor. Many elements of its layout seem to have no purpose other than to waste a player’s time. That’s bad. Also, there are holes in its geometry, nonsensical placement of invisible barriers, and many spots where the terrain just seems slapdash. In short, it’s not hard to get stuck in the zone… which is also bad.

Cursed Shore, on the other hand, is, I think, the least offensive. One can get around a lot of places by being cautious and sneaky. I happen to like that, and I believe it’s the way all three zones should’ve been developed from the start.

Make situational and environmental awareness matter; create “invisible” paths of cover and concealment throughout the landscape, that no one will find unless they’re paying attention. ’Cuz that would actually be a challenge. Not unlike a giant puzzle.

Cursed Shore seems to have the lion’s share of this, with the Straits making up the difference (the Leap just appears to have a spawnpoint shoved in every nook and cranny), but I don’t have the sense that this dynamic was ever a concerted design effort.

I’d like to see the zones tweaked in this direction, and future “hazard area” zones of this type created with “giant navigational puzzle” in mind. The world is supposed to be immersive. Making terrain matter in this way would contribute to that, as well as appeal to the tactically-minded. It’d also make exploration matter. Players attracted to that sort of thing (raises hand) could end up as guides.

I understand the concept underpinning Orr, that it’s a “warzone”, that it’s supposed to be hazardous. But I believe it’s possible to evoke such an atmosphere in a zone without it having to be a chore to explore it.

I’ve now completed the Orr zones, and I don’t have any particular inclination to go back to them. I’m not alone in this. I do think that’s a problem that should be avoided in the long-term, if not addressed in the short-term.

(edited by Hydrophidian.4319)

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

My advice is to just ignore those maps, (if you can live without the 100%) run straight to Cursed Shore and join the karma farmers. Save yourself alot of aggravation that way. Malchor’s Leap has always been one of the most unpopular and underpopulated zones, even before the opening of FoTM, and with good reason.

That, and I agree with the poster before me. Malchor’s is just poor design. While completing it I got stuck in corners a few times and had to wp out.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

(edited by StormcrowX.9236)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I think it will change over time. From the time you hit the Straits the game ceases to be fun. Sadly, it has nothing to do with challenge; it’s just badly designed zones.

Posted by: sinisterpink.7912

sinisterpink.7912

You are missing his point completely: He CAN’T cooperate with others because there aren’t any other people there. Any who are there are merely going from one zone to the next to save on teleport fees. There are (usually) very few people either farming those zones or going through them for the first time.

Furthermore, when he is there, he’s finding (as everybody does) that there are usually few uncontested waypoints. So, if he dies (because he is forced to solo it), he has to start back at Ft. Trinity. It’s darned frustrating going through there. It almost got me to quit playing entirely, and I’m sure it has ended many people’s attempts to continue playing.

ANet needs to nerf the overall structure, so that the NPCs can more commonly take back some of the waypoints without human intervention. Otherwise, they are basically permanently contested.

I love it when people base an entire argument off a few sentences pulled out of context. It demonstrates they themselves miss the point completely, or they just can’t read (or mebbe both).

Quest for 100 level 80 characters: 25% Completed…

Carter.3865

Katostrophe, It’s ok I didnt take your comment the wrong way.
I have soloed most of the 3 areas, about 90 to 95% of them.
No, I didnt have all rares or exotics, but that;s one of the reasons I went there in the first place. Now I am saying that it isnt fun at all, And as I spoke to a lot of folks there, most agreed. To find most of the POIs and Skill points just means running and dying to get them, no other way alone.
I tried it a different way and killed the mobs I couldnt go round on the way but then the respawns come into play and its just not doable.
Hell, I even timed one part after kiilling a couple mobs, I went to the next and the others had respawned, must have been about 30 seconds.
What I am thinking is that part of the trouble is knowing the paths to certain places like POIs etc. Now I have been there, maybe when I go on another character I may find it a bit easier.
And as for getting more skill, Well I’ve got all my skills but in certain parts when your 4 or 5 mobs against you, you just rely on luck.