Stun vs Daze

Stun vs Daze

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

I’m just wondering why these two conditions, Stun and Daze, exist. They both do an Interrupt. They both prevent skill activation. And they both render the target immobile.

Please help me understand why Stun is harsher than Daze?

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

its pvp related
stun immoblizes

daze doesnt (it jsut immoblizes npcs)

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

Thanks.

/15chars

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Stun is the hardest CC in the game. It completely locks a player down, unable to move, and unable to use any skill that isn’t instant cast. Its also unclearable without a Stunbreak skill.

Daze is a not so hard CC. Its similar to stun, except you can still move and dodge while under its effects. However, NPCs will act like they are stunned while affected by Daze.

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Daze

Daze is an effect caused by some skills which interrupts and prevents the target from using skills for a period of time. NPCs who become dazed are forced to remain still for its duration.

Stun

Stun is a control effect that disables all skills and interrupts any current action. Stunned characters cannot move or activate skills, except those without an activation time, e.g. shouts and some signets. Stun breakers will restore one’s freedom to act.

I thought the difference is clear in the different descriptions. (Although maybe someone should add an explicit note highlighting this.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Stun vs Daze

arenta.2953

Stun is the hardest CC in the game. It completely locks a player down, unable to move, and unable to use any skill that isn’t instant cast. Its also unclearable without a Stunbreak skill.

Daze is a not so hard CC. Its similar to stun, except you can still move and dodge while under its effects. However, NPCs will act like they are stunned while affected by Daze.

edit:
nvm…they fixed basilisk venom…
stun breakers work on it now (booooooo…now it really is a worthless elite skill)

it used to be that stun breakers didn’t work on it…idk when they changed it =/

no wonder no one uses it

(edited by arenta.2953)

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

1 part wrong there

stun is not the hardest CC in the game. thats
Basilisk Venom

which turns opponent to stone, preventing ALL skills including stun breakers

The 80s called, they want their original version of GW2 back.

Stone counts as a stun for stun breaker skill purposes, but does not count as a stun for stacking purposes

Stun vs Daze

arenta.2953

1 part wrong there

stun is not the hardest CC in the game. thats
Basilisk Venom

which turns opponent to stone, preventing ALL skills including stun breakers

The 80s called, they want their original version of GW2 back.

Stone counts as a stun for stun breaker skill purposes, but does not count as a stun for stacking purposes

yeah i edited it when i checked

it wasn’t like that when game launched =/

but it does explain why no one ever uses that skill

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: Arobain.8274

Arobain.8274

edit:
stun breakers work on it now (booooooo…now it really is a worthless elite skill)

no wonder no one uses it

elitist, just assuming since its not overpowered anymore, that nobody uses it, lol ’ booo… ’

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Well it does feel at times that thief select their elite not for their elite status but by default :p

ANet should allow us to use any non heal talent in the elite slot. And when that happens, ANet knows it’s time to nerf a talent or buff the elites.

Stun vs Daze

arenta.2953

edit:

no wonder no one uses it

elitist, just assuming since its not overpowered anymore, that nobody uses it, lol ’ booo… ’

na i mean no one uses it

its an elite skill thats essentially a 1 secound stun on 1 target. one time

with the venom trait you can send it to people around you sure, but its still an elite skill thats essentially a non damage. 1 secound stun. that can be stun broken or simply waited out.

the steal ability “bone crack” is superior…with a 2 secound stun, dmg, and a 3 secound no skill/movement stun

or mace head crack with a 3 secound daze.

if basilisk venom ignored stun breakers, then its still just 1 secound.
with stun breakers affecting it….gotta question why bother o.0

honestly, the elite skills of theif can be a bit….of a let down (sure thief guild is fun at times). i do honestly wish i could replace the elite slot with a normal slot (so i can have another skill like the scorpion wire, bldnign powder, or such. )

theif’s normal skills tend to be more appealign than the elite (which is a compliment to theif, the biggest problem on theif is choosing what 3 skills are most appealing when so many are appealing….choices choices i want to bring like 12 of them)

(edited by arenta.2953)

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

but it does explain why no one ever uses that skill

Yeah, of course no one ever uses that skill. You should tell Magic Toker and Sizer about that, maybe they stop using it. ;-)

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Basilisk Venom is still commonly used. Jump unranked matches or wvw and will see plenty. Not sure about PvE tho.

If the thief is very observant, will know exactly when use basilisk instead of blowing it away in the first attack, specially when said target already spotted you. With patience, basilisk can be very good and determinant to win. 1 second of petrification is enough to a thief busrt down a target unless they are very tanky or to buy time to put some distance between them/heal.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

Basilisk Venom lasts for two hits now, so it’s really two one second stuns on either one or two targets each 45 seconds.

Stun vs Daze

arenta.2953

Basilisk Venom lasts for two hits now, so it’s really two one second stuns on either one or two targets each 45 seconds.

o.o
ok did not know that

when did they change it?

and yeah, if it lasts 2 hits, then added with venom traits i can see it being useful (though i’ve still not seen it at all in WvW)

can’t speak for sPvP as i don’t play it, though i plan to….eventually…..(which is the same thing i said when game came out…..yeah…..i fail….WvW is just to much fun)

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

Just for the record, immobilize is way more powerful. Some genius designed it so it could stack and last for an eternity.

Stella Truth Seeker

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

o.o
ok did not know that

when did they change it?

Residual Venoms was folded baseline two patches ago along with the major overhauls, so all venoms last an extra hit now. Devourer Venom had its Immobilize duration nerfed to compensate for that, but Basilisk Venom remained unchanged.

So when you talk about ‘venom traits’ enhancing things, bear in mind that there’s now only two of those. Leeching Venoms, which lets you siphon health on hit with a venom, and Venomous Aura, which reduces cooldowns and lets you apply venoms to nearby allies.

Stun vs Daze

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

edit:

no wonder no one uses it

its an elite skill thats essentially a 1 secound stun on 1 target. one time

with the venom trait you can send it to people around you sure, but its still an elite skill thats essentially a non damage. 1 secound stun. that can be stun broken or simply waited out.

Venom share was the main reason anyone ran it competitively in large groups. Rat wells are despised because it can force multiple by a factor of 25 (5 Nercos, with 5 targets per well); Thus turning a 1 sec single target stun in a stagger-able AOE stun lock.