Subforum for political/religious/sex. topics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Q:

Requesting a subforum for all political/religious/sexuality topics.

Keep the Gameplay forum for Gameplay suggestions and feedback.

Most of us would agree that the game is a mess at the moment (condi balance, world boss bugs, prepurchase confusion, etc.)

Let players flame each other for their political/religious/sexuality views in an off-topic subforum so you can focus on what we all have in common – Guild Wars 2.

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

A:

Since ANet obviously has no objections to these threads, thinking they will stop or voluntarily be taken elsewhere is futile. In that case a subforum for non gameplay topics should be instituted and they can be discussed over there. Those who aren’t interested needn’t go to that subforum to read the threads.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

We dont need subforum. We need working banhammer.

Just a flesh wound.3589

What we could use is a Guild Wars 2 forum where any non gw2 gameplay topic goes as long as it doesn’t cross some basic rules.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The answer is simple, find an external forum for this.

If people feel the need to debate non gw2 issues or attack each other options exist elsewhere.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I agree with taking it elsewhere. I don’t think creating a sub-forum is the right way to go about it, nor do I think that it should continue in a game’s general forum.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Scientia.8924

I appreciate the suggestions, although depending on people to ‘do the right thing’ and take it elsewhere is wishful at most.

If Anet (or Gaile speaking on behalf of the company) truly wants to promote open discussion on this website, that’s fine but give it its own space.

Better that players flame each other here than in the actual game. That just splits the community even worse.

Posted by: Kennedys.3490

Kennedys.3490

Since ANet obviously has no objections to these threads, thinking they will stop or voluntarily be taken elsewhere is futile. In that case a subforum for non gameplay topics should be instituted and they can be discussed over there. Those who aren’t interested needn’t go to that subforum to read the threads.

The last patch messed up everything in this game. These threads are a welcome diversion.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I appreciate the suggestions, although depending on people to ‘do the right thing’ and take it elsewhere is wishful at most.

If Anet (or Gaile speaking on behalf of the company) truly wants to promote open discussion on this website, that’s fine but give it its own space.

Better that players flame each other here than in the actual game. That just splits the community even worse.

I was unaware that Gaile made a comment about open discussion.

In that case if people really do want to discuss it I’d definitely push for a sub-forum for miscellaneous topics. I come to the forums to read about the game, not to see arguments and flaming about sexual orientation.

If I wanted to see that flaming I’d go to youtube.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I’m actually curious how the topic brought up in the thread I think we’re talking about is not related to Guild Wars 2? This is a common refrain that Tyria is a world uninfluenced by American and other cultural norms. It’s a silly notion frankly and I think people who look at the story and setting uncritically need to open their eyes a bit. Tyria is full of references to the benefits of religion and spirituality (Dwayna’s followers, Norn animal spirits), the potential evil of religion (flame legion, Hylek Zintls), Bad relationships (Caithe & Faolain), good relationships (Kasmeer & Marjory, maaaaybe Logan and Jennah), the fear of losing your position of power and potential opression (Asura and Skritt), and the list goes on.

All of this is tied to real world issues and culture. Anet and their writers are aware of this. I say keep the threads that people are calling “political” but also keep perspective that it takes a lot of effort to completely remove art from personal bias and the surrounding culture. Guild Wars 2 is a reflection of the culture it was made in and calling that out/discussing it is not a problem.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m actually curious how the topic brought up in the thread I think we’re talking about is not related to Guild Wars 2? This is a common refrain that Tyria is a world uninfluenced by American and other cultural norms. It’s a silly notion frankly and I think people who look at the story and setting uncritically need to open their eyes a bit. Tyria is full of references to the benefits of religion and spirituality (Dwayna’s followers, Norn animal spirits), the potential evil of religion (flame legion, Hylek Zintls), Bad relationships (Caithe & Faolain), good relationships (Kasmeer & Marjory, maaaaybe Logan and Jennah), the fear of losing your position of power and potential opression (Asura and Skritt), and the list goes on.

All of this is tied to real world issues and culture. Anet and their writers are aware of this. I say keep the threads that people are calling “political” but also keep perspective that it takes a lot of effort to completely remove art from personal bias and the surrounding culture. Guild Wars 2 is a reflection of the culture it was made in and calling that out/discussing it is not a problem.

The thread we are probably talking about right now, how is it related to gw2 gameplay?

ANet may give it to you.

Scientia.8924

I was unaware that Gaile made a comment about open discussion.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/TY-Anet-for-Transgender-NPC/page/4#post5205559

There were a few more posts by her, more or less asking the same thing repeatedly. Of course in the end the thread went south and they decided to close it.

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

The thread we are probably talking about right now, how is it related to gw2 gameplay?

It’s related in the same way discussion of the pre-order threads were related I guess. Not strictly a discussion on gameplay but how Anet operates Guild Wars 2. I think the thread is relevant, but as it was closed down, it’s a moot point. Honestly, discussions like that get heated way too quickly because of what people bring to it. So, threads like that are likely to get closed anyway. Sort of self regulating. If it’s a civil discussion, it’s fair game.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s related in the same way discussion of the pre-order threads were related I guess. Not strictly a discussion on gameplay but how Anet operates Guild Wars 2. I think the thread is relevant, but as it was closed down, it’s a moot point. Honestly, discussions like that get heated way too quickly because of what people bring to it. So, threads like that are likely to get closed anyway. Sort of self regulating. If it’s a civil discussion, it’s fair game.

And then there pops up threads like, If the [LGBT] guild is allowed to exist…? Which imo is another thread that could go in this suggested subforum. Even more so since the OP seems to be making the thread as a reaction to the current thread and to inflame the forum and not as something s/he is really sincerely asking.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Nothing good ever eventuates from these topics. Nothing. They end up locked because it turns into a -bleep-storm in the end. I wouldn’t support a forum like that – especially with the already hostile environment of today’s supreme court decision, ultimately bringing more bigots out of the woodwork, wanting to let everyone know they disagree with it, along with the countless homophobic & transphobic comments that already exist without a forum – could you imagine the amount of hate WITH a forum to talk about those things?

Plus, there’s plenty of forums out there that exist to discuss those topics anyway – it’s just they don’t usually talk about Guild Wars 2.

And people wonder why there has to be safe spaces for LGBT+ groups… only need to see the horrible comments on these forums to figure that one out. I think I might join their guild at this rate – it’s only going to get worse after today :-/

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This section is called Guild Wars 2 Discussion, not Gameplay Discussion. It’s for talking about anything related to GW2 which doesn’t generate enough topics to have a dedicated section. Therefore as long as these topics relate to GW2 they belong in here.

If someone created a topic on this forum asking what people think of the American courts decision to legalise gay marriage then obviously it’d be locked for not being about GW2. If they create a topic about how Marjory and Kasmeer’s relationship is portrayed and some posters mention the US court decision during their reply that doesn’t change the subject of the post.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

I’m all for a seperate off-topic forum section. Best way to control chaos is to give it it’s own little box. Also, last few days have been the most fun I’ve ever had on forums. Get to learn how people think and how forum moderators react.

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

I think the more I read these forums the more I wish I hadn’t. I want to enjoy the game, after all we are all players of a great game. I shouldn’t think before I help a downed player ‘is this the person that told me to go and burn to death’ on the games forum.

In my line of work I’d get a few threats and comments (prison service) but you know that’s life. I don’t expect that on a gaming forum. I’m all for debates but right now maybe the community needs to stick to the game mechanics not real life.

Anx

Scientia.8924

If someone created a topic on this forum asking what people think of the American courts decision to legalise gay marriage then obviously it’d be locked for not being about GW2. If they create a topic about how Marjory and Kasmeer’s relationship is portrayed and some posters mention the US court decision during their reply that doesn’t change the subject of the post.

The thread would degenerate to a Supreme Court decision argument regardless of however the topic title was written. At least then the thread can be moved to an off topic subforum to allow players to express their views.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

It’s not going to happen so don’t ask. These types of sub forums always turn toxic and the moderators have enough to deal with in the forum as a whole, there are plenty of other places outside of these forum to discuss those topics, go there. Please lock this thread.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

the world is a mess, yall need to stop debating petty stuff and discussing how to get along. I don’t like marriage….period…so all of yall need to keep it in your pants when I’m in game :p

true love has nothing to do with corporate documents, nor should we need a court ruling to express such love. This ‘red tape’ nonsense, is simply petty. Love and respect each other as you are , where you are. The world is a mess, you are either part of the problem or part of the solution, no gray areas.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Scientia.8924

These types of sub forums always turn toxic and the moderators have enough to deal with in the forum as a whole, there are plenty of other places outside of these forum to discuss those topics, go there.

Obviously it’s better that they be toxic in a subforum rather than in the main forum used to discuss upcoming changes, balance issues, etc.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The world is a mess

This is true enough. lol Though I disagree about the gray, though. I think life has a lot of grey areas.

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

Requesting a subforum for all political/religious/sexuality topics.

Keep the Gameplay forum for Gameplay suggestions and feedback.

Most of us would agree that the game is a mess at the moment (condi balance, world boss bugs, prepurchase confusion, etc.)

Let players flame each other for their political/religious/sexuality views in an off-topic subforum so you can focus on what we all have in common – Guild Wars 2.

Lot’s of forums I go to have an off-topic sub forum where you can talk about non-game related things.

Ricky.4706

@celtic Lady – yes, i’m chaotic neutral in rp, i’m all about gray areas – but i stand for balance, not chaos lol <3

when the good get judgmental and self righteous, it’s time to cause balance, when the evil come to power, it’s time to cause balance. when there is love, it’s time to be peaceful.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Ricky.4706

True love is a gray area. <3

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hi,

These are the Guild Wars 2 official forums. We want discussions to be related to our game and have no interest in hosting an off-topic forum. I administered a busy OTF years ago and it was incredibly time-consuming and volatile for me and my team.

We encourage game-related discussions, and sure, those can head into areas that are more real-world than in-game. But a forum strictly dedicated to non-game topics simply isn’t in the cards.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

There are plenty of other websites where you can shout at people who you disagree with. Why would you want to argue with strangers who you’re playing a fun game with?

Scientia.8924

There are plenty of other websites where you can shout at people who you disagree with. Why would you want to argue with strangers who you’re playing a fun game with?

Nobody wants that of course, but Anet does allow it to happen by keeping open flame threads under the “Game Discussion” forum (the primary reason players come here in the 1st place)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Nobody wants that of course, but Anet does allow it to happen by keeping open flame threads under the “Game Discussion” forum (the primary reason players come here in the 1st place)

Do you think it would be any better with a dedicated sub-forum? Or would that just encourage them?

I realise I’ll just sound like I’m sucking up but I agree with Gaile. Before real life got in the way I was a moderator on several forums and the off-topic section was always the worst to moderate. One of the most stressful evenings I’ve ever had was trying to break up a flame war on the official Velvet Revolver forum. Sure I could just delete posts and lock topics, but people would keep bringing them back and I couldn’t get an admin online to ban them (and didn’t really want to because some of them were, and are, my friends). I don’t even remember what it was about, something utterly trivial probably, but I remember how horrible it was.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Hi,

These are the Guild Wars 2 official forums. We want discussions to be related to our game and have no interest in hosting an off-topic forum. I administered a busy OTF years ago and it was incredibly time-consuming and volatile for me and my team.

We encourage game-related discussions, and sure, those can head into areas that are more real-world than in-game. But a forum strictly dedicated to non-game topics simply isn’t in the cards.

this is great news as i too have I administered other forums of different topic,s and so forth . i found it to be a pain most of the time my self. and iam glad to see this company and game staying true to what it does and the game and game only . please keep up the good work . besides there is enough forums and web sites out there to find one to meet your needs as to what you wish to talk about.:)

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

I absolutely agree with Gaile and others in this thread on this one. The very idea of a ‘flame’ forum completely undermines the efforts towards eliminating trolling and online bullying. Not to mention, it really has no place here and if that’s something you want there are literally thousands of other forums that you can join to participate in such activities. I for one would rather support positive initiatives that promote a healthier community.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/TY-Anet-for-Transgender-NPC/page/4#post5205559

There were a few more posts by her, more or less asking the same thing repeatedly. Of course in the end the thread went south and they decided to close it.

The problem is threads like that start very much on-topic to GW2. In this case, thanking a gamemaker for an NPC that exactly fit what a previous thread has asked for. So she would not have thought to put it in an off-topic area.

Unfortunately trolls abound on the net so threads that are on-topic can wind up not being so.

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

These types of sub forums always turn toxic and the moderators have enough to deal with in the forum as a whole, there are plenty of other places outside of these forum to discuss those topics, go there.

Obviously it’s better that they be toxic in a subforum rather than in the main forum used to discuss upcoming changes, balance issues, etc.

I can’t believe you actually think that. Do you think trolls care? Do you think they will be kind enough to go open thread in “correct” forum to troll? And what is toxic? People complaining? I think that everyone who used internet at least couple of times knows that each forum will have people complaining about something, especially gaming forums. And not every complain is “wrong” and should be considered as toxic behaviour.
If you want to fight with someone and insult each other, make a guild of like minded people and you can kick each other in the head or something.

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

lol @ OP, next time might as well ask for a kickstarter subforum or a online dating subforum, or a buying selling your unwanted undies subforum

Posted by: Moderator.3204

Moderator.3204

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.