Sucked in by pre orders, will be cheap soon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

Don’t be sucked in by pre orders, GW2 HOT will be cheap sooner than you think, why?

Well just look at GW2, you can pick it up in some places for $20 or less or roughly £12…

Within 3-6 months of GW2 being launched it was pretty much down to half the price it was at pre orders, and then another price drop within 12 months and then finally it was super cheap….

Point is, don’t get suckered in with high cost pre orders. You know they will let people buy the “exclusive one time only pre order items!!111!” with gems / gold eventually and you know the price will be dropped soon enough….

Is pretty obvious. This is not the same Anet that made the original GW1 and imo better game all those years ago, it’s a different company with a large marketing arm getting the money in early and upfront similar to what ESO did with pre orders, in fear of it flopping…

Just don’t fall for such obvious marketing ploys…

(edited by TRON.1085)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

3 months after hot launches, is too long to wait to play it even at half price, for some of us anyway. The 250 people in my guild aren’t going to sit around and wait for a sale to start leveling up masteries or play the new profession, or start working toward our guild hall.

You’re not being suckered in to buy something and get to use it. It’s the same with the electronics. They come out, and go down very shortly after. If you want it for the months before it goes down in price, you pay a premium.

Some people may not think that’s worth it and they can wait. But it’s hardly being a sucker to decide you want to play it sooner.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I bought a vacuum cleaner when it was first out for £299 or so. Six months later it was on sale at £249 for Easter. It’s probably now only £199 now.

I once bought a CD of one of my favourite bands for £16 back in 1996. That band since released a box set which contained the same CD I bought, plus a CD with unreleased material for only £10.

It’s nothing new that things go cheaper. It’s not a marketing ploy.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

TRON.1085

3 months after hot launches, is too long to wait to play it even at half price, for some of us anyway. The 250 people in my guild aren’t going to sit around and wait for a sale to start leveling up masteries or play the new profession, or start working toward our guild hall.

You’re not being suckered in to buy something and get to use it. It’s the same with the electronics. They come out, and go down very shortly after. If you want it for the months before it goes down in price, you pay a premium.

Some people may not think that’s worth it and they can wait. But it’s hardly being a sucker to decide you want to play it sooner.

I agree with what you are saying but I have no issues either waiting or just not even purchasing. After the huge disappointment GW2 was for me compared to GW1 and it’s expansions, I will not be buying HOT until after it has launched and will know exactly what is being given to players and what is not.

Anet lied before and misled it’s loyal vets before with the previous GW2 launch with marketing and “when it’s ready” BS, so a lot of players are very cautious now knowing what to expect from this Anet2.0 company.

TRON.1085

I bought a vacuum cleaner when it was first out for £299 or so. Six months later it was on sale at £249 for Easter. It’s probably now only £199 now.

I once bought a CD of one of my favourite bands for £16 back in 1996. That band since released a box set which contained the same CD I bought, plus a CD with unreleased material for only £10.

It’s nothing new that things go cheaper. It’s not a marketing ploy.

Did you pre order those items without actually knowing what you are getting? No I didn’t think so. Did they miss lead consumers with marketing talk and “no grind”, “change the dynamic world with dynamic boss encounters”….instead zerging world boss’s with 100+ players spamming 1 skill for winz!1!! grinding on huge HP bars that take 20+ mins to eat through….while making almost no difference in the actual game world with boss’s spawning again and again….that is not the game we were told we were getting…

So Anet can put up walls of text and marketing talk, posts on websites, video previews as much as they like, I won’t believe any of it until I know exactly what we are getting…

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

I’ll be waiting for a Christmas sale, because I’m not in a hurry.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Is it just GW1 whiners on the forums lately? They are clogging up the forums as if they are some for of god and the little people must accept their weird little world view as reality.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I agree with what you are saying but I have no issues either waiting or just not even purchasing. After the huge disappointment GW2 was for me compared to GW1 and it’s expansions, I will not be buying HOT until after it has launched and will know exactly what is being given to players and what is not.

Anet lied before and misled it’s loyal vets before with the previous GW2 launch with marketing and “when it’s ready” BS, so a lot of players are very cautious now knowing what to expect from this Anet2.0 company.

So if you don’t like the game, why buy it at all. I’m a Guild Wars 1 player and I feel neither lied to about Guild Wars 2, nor do I feel unhappy with my purchase. And judging from the number of GWAMM titles running around the open world, I don’t think I’m the only one.

There is certainly a percentage of Guild Wars 1 players who are dissatisfied with Guild Wars 2, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t as many who are satisfied. For those of us who intend to play, most of us will buy to be there for launch day. For those who aren’t sure, of course they should wait. That’s pretty obvious.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

and you lose 3-6 months worth of playing time then. The cool thing about the current market system: you can decide whether a product is worth your money at any given time. So yeah, do what you want with your wallet, just as others don´t need your Occupy Tyria activism.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Is it just GW1 whiners on the forums lately? They are clogging up the forums as if they are some for of god and the little people must accept their weird little world view as reality.

Why do you jump in a thread to whine about someone you think is whining ? You read a thread name and think…Oh i dont agree,i must voice my opinion about how i think theyre whining because that will solve everything ! Its kittening pointless what youre doing.Everyone has a different opinion about this Hot deal,if ppl are unhappy let em voice their opinion because they have the right to be mad,if you’re happy,go make a thread and show anet how happy u are,and if u cant comprehend why….don’t bother.

TRON.1085

It’s also about lack of content…

Take Eye of The North for example, crap loads of dungeons, zones and content..

The expansion introduces:

41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces

100 new profession-specific skills (10 per profession, none of which are elite)

50 new PvE only skills including 3 elite skills

10 new heroes

18 Dungeons

124 new quests

The Hall of Monuments, a place which allows you to obtain unique titles, companions, weapons, armor, and miniatures in Guild Wars 2 based on your achievements in the original Guild Wars. The Hall of Monuments does not support the transfer of characters or gold.

Actions have more consequences. For example, if you lose NPCs that help you, you can choose to continue without them (and their help) instead of being forced to try again (although you may start over with a clean slate by going back to town). Similarly, if you rescue NPCs, they may join you and help you.

More than the previous campaigns, Eye of the North is full of easter eggs and “hidden” quests, which are not immediately accessible.

Are you telling me that HOT will come even close to this kind of content addition? No I very much doubt it.

It’s no good having only one new class and lots of new specialization if there is hardly any new content to play them with…

GW2 campaign story is terrible and lackluster compared to the depth of GW1’s and look how old GW1 is now…

HOT is not worth that much money, no where near it…

Give me Eye Of The North kind of expansion, or Nightfall and then maybe it would be worth that kind of money upfront, right now…from what we know…no way.

Eye of The North, Nightfall and Factions were all so much better than what we have been shown in terms of content, preofessions, classes etc etc.

And on top of that they won’t even give people a character slot for the new class without paying more….

(edited by TRON.1085)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

If you think it’s just some big massive, undercover marketing conspiracy then don’t buy it.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

It’s no good having only one new class and lots of new specialization if there is hardly any new content to play them with…

Do you know what we’re actually getting then?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s also about lack of content…

Take Eye of The North for example, crap loads of dungeons, zones and content..

The expansion introduces:

41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces

100 new profession-specific skills (10 per profession, none of which are elite)

50 new PvE only skills including 3 elite skills

10 new heroes

18 Dungeons

124 new quests

The Hall of Monuments, a place which allows you to obtain unique titles, companions, weapons, armor, and miniatures in Guild Wars 2 based on your achievements in the original Guild Wars. The Hall of Monuments does not support the transfer of characters or gold.

Actions have more consequences. For example, if you lose NPCs that help you, you can choose to continue without them (and their help) instead of being forced to try again (although you may start over with a clean slate by going back to town). Similarly, if you rescue NPCs, they may join you and help you.

More than the previous campaigns, Eye of the North is full of easter eggs and “hidden” quests, which are not immediately accessible.

Are you telling me that HOT will come even close to this kind of content addition? No I very much doubt it.

GW2 campaign story is terrible and lackluster compared to the depth of GW1’s and look how old GW1 is now…

HOT is not worth that much money, no where near it…

Give me Eye Of The North kind of expansion, or Nightfall and then maybe it would be worth that kind of money upfront, right now…from what we know…no way.

Eye of The North, Nightfall and Factions were all so much better than what we have been shown in terms of content, preofessions, classes etc etc.

And on top of that they won’t even give people a character slot for the new class without paying more….

Perhaps, you have forgotten you could not even purchase a character slot in Guild Wars until 15 months after it released. The only way to add character slots to your ‘main’ account was to purchase a whole campaign, give up 2 of the slots it came with, and link your accounts. Not much different with Heart of Thorns, as far as character slots go.

Posted by: Maunzi.3764

Maunzi.3764

OP made a discovery that will shatter our very foundation of civilization:

Preorders are never the best value.

Amazing. I nominate OP for Nobel price in at least four categories for this fundamental, groundbreaking insight.