Sudden FPS drops due to certain Effects

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

This has been a long time problem, anyone else getting this? in certain abilities with “smoke” effects there are huge fps drops, engineer grenades particularly skill 2 as well as Thieves blinding powder cause these sudden FPS drops then sudden FPS spikes creating a slow down and speed up effect, lowering all options to the lowest still doestn fix the problem, and it seems there isnt a particle effects option

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The smoke effect lag also ramp up my graphics card fans to max speed due to the heavy load (not even going down to 5fps in WvW zerg clashes does this).

In theory, ANet can actually physically kill your PC with this.

I dont know, I find it funny.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Same issue for me. Those effects have to be tuned somehow.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Try being inside Fire Elemental (Boss) when he spawns,real terror :o

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Nade engies make this problem huge..

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

If ANET would actually start working on optimizations for the game, firstly, graphics optimization, it just MIGHT fix the myriad of graphical issues in the game.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: ParnAshwind.4823

ParnAshwind.4823

Random FPS drop has gotten worse. I took a leave from GW2 for a couple of months and when I got back, I notice a serious FPS drop when ever I walk into “Smoke Effect” like smoke from Catapult Explosion, and “Steam Effect” mainly in the Black Citadel.

I do recall FPS drop in Black Citadel before but I never encounter FPS drop from catapult explosions before.

Also, all I need to do to get rid of the FPS drop is to “minimize and then maximize” the GW2 client and everything will be back to 60fps. (cant safely do that in the heat of combat though)

My video card is a Nvidia GTX 560 Ti. The game runs at 60fps 90% of the time. I may not have the best video card but from 60fps to 10fps and more importantly minimizing and maximizing the client gets rid of the FPS drop… I seriously doubt that it is a video card problem.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Particle effects. They need a way to cap/prioritize which ones are displayed first and allow the player to adjust the cap. That can go a long way to “fix” some of the frame rate problems we have in this game.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Same problem here. I play thief and engineer and I submitted bug reports very often.
I also noticed that the FPS drops more when you are pretty much zoomed in and less when you are totally zoomed out, but it is still a problem.

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

This’d best be suited for tech support I think :x

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I’m only getting these from the Dust Plumes of Trebuchets in PvE. And not the Risen Variety thank god (those only toss up green …undead junk… splatter). It’s basically the same exact hitching/FPS drop that Seige Devourers would cause in North Ascalon in the first Game. … alsmost as if the number of Particles generated is being multiplied by the number of targets hit by it or something really buggy/weird.

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

I lag when the smoke from the catapult hits during the queensdale centaur attack event.