Suffering Through The Story

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

I recently returned back to GW2 and I’m enjoying myself for the most part, until I do something in the Personal Story that is. My character is so bland it makes me want to strangle them. Show some LIFE! Get angry, sad, anything! Who was directing these voice actors?

“Ok, I want you to deliver these next lines with absolutely no emotion whatsoever. YES! That’s perfect!” -Voice Director

The world is beautiful and the exploration and gameplay have always been fun to me, but DANG that story stuff stinks. The human actors are especially cringeworthy. The only reason I find myself playing the story is for the XP only. And you have to play through your personal story to do anything (story-wise) later in the game. Correct? It’s been a while.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

You can completely ignore the Personal Story if you want, you won’t miss out on anything. You’ll just have to deal with the green reminder in the top-right of your screen about where your next story step is.

All the game’s dungeon content and the Living Story developments can be played without touching the Personal Story at all, if you are so inclined.

Nat.4029

You can completely ignore the Personal Story if you want, you won’t miss out on anything. You’ll just have to deal with the green reminder in the top-right of your screen about where your next story step is.

All the game’s dungeon content and the Living Story developments can be played without touching the Personal Story at all, if you are so inclined.

Well that’s good to know. Like I said, the only reason I’ve been doing them so far is for the nice chunks of XP you get.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

This was complained about in the betas before the release, and also after release.

It’s been more than a year and Arenanet obviously don’t want to fix old crapy content, they only interest in keeping players in the game via chores like dailys and the need for material for anything cool in the game, especially gold.
For the money ofcourse.
One more thing to note, don’t get your hopes up for more awesome looking armor, because theres about 12 different sets of armor (For each type) in the game and that’s it. And now repeat that on karma vendors infinitly and that’s all you will see.
The armor designers are doing a terrible job and have done a terrible job since the begining.
Look at how kittening stale and kittening boring medium armor is.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I agree, the personal character VA is underwhelming. However, if you want a more emotional connection with the story, I suggest you try out the Order of Whisperers storyline.

;_; apples for sale

Nat.4029

I guess playing through the storylines in SWTOR during my off-time from GW2 didn’t help either. The story and voice acting in it are not even comparable. Anet hired really talented voice actors (Jennifer Hale, Troy Baker), I guess it really is all in the direction though. If they are just handed a script and told to read, GW2’s story is what you get.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

I miss SWTOR story quests. I would like to know what happens to Vette, but the free to play mode from swtor is unplayable :/

Nat.4029

I miss SWTOR story quests. I would like to know what happens to Vette, but the free to play mode from swtor is unplayable :/

Yeah their version of F2P is VERY misleading. Sure it’s F2P, but with only half the content that is available to Subs.

The SWTOR storylines/acting are VERY good.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Can we stop calling it the personal story when we know in fact it is the Trahearne Story.

Oh and the SWToR storylines are pretty epic for an MMO. The in-between parts were unfortunately grind heavy.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

The story was forgettable, there were a few stand out moments. I particularly liked the beginning of the charr story where you challenge the leader in the pit, if the whole story was like that I’d be sold. xD

Oh yeah, and Tybalt, probably my favorite character in the personal story. He’s the comic relief and ironically had the most impact.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Just do what most of us (?) do and skip the cut scenes all together. They’re completely terrible and not necessary to do the actual questing. Sorry ANet, I love 99% of GW2, but the cut scenes are a no for me.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Nat.4029

Just do what most of us (?) do and skip the cut scenes all together. They’re completely terrible and not necessary to do the actual questing. Sorry ANet, I love 99% of GW2, but the cut scenes are a no for me.

Yeah I know that’s been beaten to death, but the cutscenes are just as bad as the acting. Who thought that was a good idea? The cutscenes from GW1 could be funny at times, but they were still in-game cutscenes, which makes them 10x better than the ones we get in GW2.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

That annoying green star in the top corner is the Number 1 reason to do the personal Story. Between that, and the kitten LS and whatever the meta for the zone is and whatever the DE is there is no room for the Loot Scroll.

Please do us a favor and add an option like

“Show Personal Story”
“Show/Hide Living Story”
“Show/Hide Meta Event”
etc

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If you just want to get rid of those green arrows and that quest info in the top of the corner I would suggest doing what I did on each of my alts. Wait until you are level 80 with good gear (actually gear does not matter) and just hit all the quests at once. It will take 2-3 days max (depending on how easily bored you get). You should have most of the world unlocked if you do map clears and at that level you will breeze through it all without any problems.

Also if the dialogue is really that bad you can use that magical “skip” button,

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Barsimoprimo.2759

Barsimoprimo.2759

Only one reason to do Personal Story, Achievement Points.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

It’s not a personal story – it’s a tribute to the glory of the walking salad – he who also has zero emotion.

What they REALLY need to do is give us the ability to just turn off the reminder for this.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It’s not a personal story – it’s a tribute to the glory of the walking salad – he who also has zero emotion.

What they REALLY need to do is give us the ability to just turn off the reminder for this.

I see people saying things similar to this all the time. One thing I think these people forget to remember is that the said walking salad is not present at or involved at all in the final fight with Zaitan.

Ok I admit that when I did the last quest (8 times now on all 8 classes) when killing said dragon I not once saw MY personal story or character due to the fact another player was always in the cutscene (this is unforgivable!). But still, that aside it did all tied together seem like my personal story for the most part and not said walking salad.

Having said all that I do have something negative to say about said walking salad. Please will you STOP taking 2 steps forward and then one step back when moving in those stories. Unforgivable!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Trahearne is an entitled user.

The reason you don’t see him in the Zhaitan step is because by that point, Trahearne got what he wanted out of you (help doing his personal quest) and doesn’t feel the need to help you at all. “Got my green star cleared, thanks so much good luck with yours.”

I STILL think Zhaitan should have choked on him.

PS: 2 good reasons to do personal stories: one of the best way to level quickly (especially if you have someone help you when stories are red.) And two: getting rid of the annoying green text on your screen.

The personal stories will actually guide you through different zones.

And pffft on the buffoon named Tybalt. Forgal (Vigil) has some incredible one liners, especially going through Fields of Ruin.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Nat.4029

Trahearne is an entitled user.

The reason you don’t see him in the Zhaitan step is because by that point, Trahearne got what he wanted out of you (help doing his personal quest) and doesn’t feel the need to help you at all. “Got my green star cleared, thanks so much good luck with yours.”

I STILL think Zhaitan should have choked on him.

PS: 2 good reasons to do personal stories: one of the best way to level quickly (especially if you have someone help you when stories are red.) And two: getting rid of the annoying green text on your screen.

The personal stories will actually guide you through different zones.

And pffft on the buffoon named Tybalt. Forgal (Vigil) has some incredible one liners, especially going through Fields of Ruin.

That was the Vigil guy’s name. I couldn’t think of it. He was about the only memorable character throughout my entire playthrough with my Guardian.

I see Anet was having a livestream featuring voiceover work today. I guess I should check it out and see how they actually do things.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

I recently returned back to GW2 and I’m enjoying myself for the most part, until I do something in the Personal Story that is. My character is so bland it makes me want to strangle them. Show some LIFE! Get angry, sad, anything! Who was directing these voice actors?

“Ok, I want you to deliver these next lines with absolutely no emotion whatsoever. YES! That’s perfect!” -Voice Director

The world is beautiful and the exploration and gameplay have always been fun to me, but DANG that story stuff stinks. The human actors are especially cringeworthy. The only reason I find myself playing the story is for the XP only. And you have to play through your personal story to do anything (story-wise) later in the game. Correct? It’s been a while.

You playing a Norn Female by any chance?

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Nat.4029

I have before, yes. The majority of my experience comes from the female human story though.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

I have before, yes. The majority of my experience comes from the female human story though.

Can’t speak for Norn, but I enjoyed the Asuran one.