{Sug} Knockoff creates new downed state

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

I was playing and was fighting on a cliff edge with a vet that had a knock back that sent me hurtling over the edge. Yes I had already used my stability to save me from that once and it was on cool down. Yet when I used my knock back the vet got sent flying, but at the last possible second he does not go off the edge, oh no, all the npc’s are allowed to not be knocked off the edge.

Which got me thinking of a new idea for GW2. A Downed state for knocking someone off an edge in all areas of the game. NO I do not mean that where you go splat that you go into a downed state. I mean a new downed state that you will latch onto the edge of the cliff in a last ditch effort to save your life. It will sort of act the same as going into a downed state except these new skills will be sort of thought out to help pull yourself back up. I would think you would have a couple of skills that act the same for all players and a couple that are profession based. I haven’t thought out what these skills might be, so feel free to add your suggestion of what these could be for each profession.

And to give some indication of what I am talking about, here is a video from the KungkittenPanda movie that I think might help some people visualize what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehZo-hObys

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I like the idea; I think it would make more sense if it were significantly faster-paced than ordinary downed state though. I mean, if you’re hanging from a cliff with a foe nearby, you’d better be getting back up pretty quickly.

I think it mostly sounds neat from a cinematic perspective, especially if, when it happens to you, the camera pans and zooms for dramatic effect.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Left 4 dead did this.
I know, the games are so alike I just had to compare them.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Well, enemies can’t fall of edges for practical purposes.
There are plenty of creatures that should not be able to swim and don’t have swimming animations – if you knocked them off a ledge into water it could be problematic. It’s already problematic that some enemies can be pushed along shore into the water and then you get to watch their broken animations.

Secondly if the cliff was smaller, how does the enemy have the appropriate pathing to get it back to it’s normal place? A lot of games simply let enemies run up cliffs in an attempt to solve this problem and it is super immersion breaking, Then what happens if you knock an enemy off a Jumping Puzzle, there’s no possible way for it to make its way back up, so should it just stand in one place until hopefully someone comes along and kills it, meanwhile the game can’t respawn a new enemy in it’s place.

Gummy.4278

Well, enemies can’t fall of edges for practical purposes.
There are plenty of creatures that should not be able to swim and don’t have swimming animations – if you knocked them off a ledge into water it could be problematic. It’s already problematic that some enemies can be pushed along shore into the water and then you get to watch their broken animations.

Secondly if the cliff was smaller, how does the enemy have the appropriate pathing to get it back to it’s normal place? A lot of games simply let enemies run up cliffs in an attempt to solve this problem and it is super immersion breaking, Then what happens if you knock an enemy off a Jumping Puzzle, there’s no possible way for it to make its way back up, so should it just stand in one place until hopefully someone comes along and kills it, meanwhile the game can’t respawn a new enemy in it’s place.

Huh? my suggestion is to add a new downed state for the players, not for npc’s or adding knocking them off a cliff. Keep the npc’s overpowered can’t be knocked off a cliff like it is. Your comments have nothing to do with the suggestion, please stay on topic.

Posted by: Catharsis.8571

Catharsis.8571

How will the engine differentiate between you running off a ledge intentionally and if someone knocks you off?

Mauveine – 80 Mesmer, Bashastick – 80 Warrior
Basha Blue – 80 Guard, Cat Harsis – 80 Ranger
And many more… on Crystal Desert Server (NA)

Gummy.4278

How will the engine differentiate between you running off a ledge intentionally and if someone knocks you off?

I would think, a skill is usually used to knock you off, without that cast it will let you jump to your death. I am no dev though, so it very well have another mechanism to distinguish between the two.

Posted by: Xhieron.2168

Xhieron.2168

A lot of moving parts here, so I kind of doubt the tech exists in the game to do this. That said, I’ll say what we’re all thinking. What a great idea:

kitten Skyhammer.

Peace and safety.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

That’s what you call balanced game-play. Working as intended. {:-þ

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I was playing and was fighting on a cliff edge with a vet that had a knock back that sent me hurtling over the edge. Yes I had already used my stability to save me from that once and it was on cool down. Yet when I used my knock back the vet got sent flying, but at the last possible second he does not go off the edge, oh no, all the npc’s are allowed to not be knocked off the edge.

Which got me thinking of a new idea for GW2. A Downed state for knocking someone off an edge in all areas of the game. NO I do not mean that where you go splat that you go into a downed state. I mean a new downed state that you will latch onto the edge of the cliff in a last ditch effort to save your life. It will sort of act the same as going into a downed state except these new skills will be sort of thought out to help pull yourself back up. I would think you would have a couple of skills that act the same for all players and a couple that are profession based. I haven’t thought out what these skills might be, so feel free to add your suggestion of what these could be for each profession.

And to give some indication of what I am talking about, here is a video from the KungkittenPanda movie that I think might help some people visualize what I mean.

wow…

very nice idea. well done.

+1

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I like the idéa. It is awesome Though it sounds complicated and can be very buggy though I realy hope this can be done.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Gummy.4278

why is everyone so sure that its buggy/ can’t be done/ to complicated.

The community does this all the time…." I love this idea…but anet is not capable of making this happen" Everyone is so sure of how things works that they shoot there own collective foots before any ideas can get support from the community and then be recognied by the devs…

I say +1 it and let anet sort out if its viable or not.

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

Very good idea. +1 for you