Sugg- Hand Health, Targeting, Movement Stuff

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’ll try to keep these suggestions simple.

-Please do another qol hand health pass and try to reduce the amount of clicking required. Also, please review improved ways of salvaging with a mass salvage option perhaps, unloading large amounts of items into our personal bank with ease, add automated stacking/sorting with items in our personal bank… I’m sure there are more, but I’m sure we all get the gist.

-This is another hand health area, but also an improvement to targeting… There are way too many targeting reticle aiming skills for such a movement heavy game. The snap ground targeting was a nice addition, but I believe we could take that one step further. I would like to have a 3rd targeting option assist that basically turns reticle skills into targeted ground aoe skills. Essentially this cuts out the additional mouse movement required, and skills become press or click that drop on target. Overall, I personally feel that combat could be a lot better with less ground target skills and more direct target aoe skills instead.

Support skills need a major assist as well, because support should not be clunky. See Druid Celestail Avatar skills to understand what I mean by clunky.

I’ll bring this up again, but I played City of Heroes for a long time and I spent less time playing the UI and more time focusing on the game. City was 10x more fast paced than GW2, yet attack and support skill delivery mechanics were 10x smoother and user friendly.

Honestly, there is just way way way too much combat bar UI and skill micromanaging here, and that draws away from immersive combat. It’s problematic when we have to fight the UI so much when we should be focused on combat. Again, look at how City of Heroes handled all this.

Additional notes… Please review weapon set skill ranges and make things more consistent as much as possible. I’m not going to go over all the different weapon sets, but please look them over so we don’t have to mentally calculate multiple different skill ranges during the heat of fast paced twitch combat. Also, some skill animations are too long and there is a noticeable skill delay on some skills that could be eliminated.

-One of the great features of GW2 combat is the freedom of movement, so I would like to suggest making all skills castable on the move. I do not feel this should be too problematic considering there are not many skills that root.

-Auto follow target combat assist. This will make melee combat far far far more user friendly and enjoyable.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Lemon.6015

Lemon.6015

I’m not sure where to begin, so I’ll just skip to the most absurd part:

-Auto follow target combat assist. This will make melee combat far far far more user friendly and enjoyable.

Do you really want that..?

Swagger.1459

@lemon

I’m more than willing to have a rational discussion, so perhaps you could take some time to reread my post and revise your reply in a more civilized way.

To answer that question, yes. It would be a great option to have that supports melee combat in wvw and spvp. Some pve mobs do move as well. Combat here is not all stand still and static so it’s worth suggesting.

There are “clunky” elements to combat in this movement heavy game, and what I have brought up could make things more user friendly and smoother.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

are you serious.
lets just go thru the entire game and put big cushions on all the sharp corners.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Lemon.6015

Lemon.6015

I did read the entire post and I apologize if my response sounded rude, it wasn’t my intention.
I just can’t understand the necessity of anything you mentioned, that melee assistant in particular. Fast paced combat plays a big role in keeping the game interesting as well as learning dodge mechanics and foes behaviour, be it PvE or PvP.
Trivializing that aspect would most likely reduce the longevity of the game and bring no actual improvement.

Swagger.1459

Essentially these suggestion are…

Less clicking stuff and better inventory management.

Improved skill targeting options.

Improved support skill targeting options.

Reviewing some skill ranges to be more consistent where possible.

Have a handful of skills that root no longer root.

Reduce some long animation skills and reduce some normal skill delay with some skills.

Melee assist to help stick on target some in this movement heavy game. Melee is at a disadvantage in cases so it helps.

Essentially calling any of that “absurd” was pretty rude, but I’ll accept that apology.

Nothing of what I said removes the fast paced nature, in fact, it allows for skills to perform faster. Also makes for smoother combat UI use…

Nothing of what I said devalues dodging either.

And City of Heroes was mentioned because that game was far more fast paced, yet controls and skill delivery were better.

I spent years playing “twitch” ++ when GW didn’t even have jumping…

Not my videos, but watch…

Zone pvp on a Tank class.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FyO_KaFm2D8

Arena pvp on a Healer class.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy-eESDNtnU

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’m also curious about this one. Can you elaborate? Do you mean when you target something, your toon literally runs after it? Or something else?

Swagger.1459

I’m also curious about this one. Can you elaborate? Do you mean when you target something, your toon literally runs after it? Or something else?

There are other games that use auto follow and I’ll elaborate with an example…

Press “R” and you run toward your target. Press “R” again to stop following target.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Press “R” and you run toward your target. Press “R” again to stop following target.

Ah. I see what you mean. But it sounds a little hazardous. Running straight towards something is the surest way to get killed.

Swagger.1459

Ah. I see what you mean. But it sounds a little hazardous. Running straight towards something is the surest way to get killed.

You still have full control over your character, but it just assists to stick on target and particularly helpful in melee combat situations.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

You still have full control over your character, but it just assists to stick on target and particularly helpful in melee combat situations.

I’m just having trouble envisioning it. If you press “R” to run towards your target, how close does your toon run to the target?

Swagger.1459

I’m just having trouble envisioning it. If you press “R” to run towards your target, how close does your toon run to the target?

Target enemy.

Press “R” and you run up to target.

You start smashing your target’s pixelated face with your pixelated hammer.

Your target dodge rolls to the side.

Your character automatically turns to face the target and automatically follows and you continue to smash pixelated face…

…It’s an automated follow system that tracks your target so you can focus more on attacks. You still have full control over your characters movements. You can break the tracking at any point. Your auto follow can break under certain conditions like losing sight or they go into stealth.

It’s been a common feature in mmo games since ancient mmo times.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Target enemy.

Your character automatically turns to face the target and automatically follows and you continue to smash pixelated face…

…It’s an automated follow system that tracks your target so you can focus more on attacks. You still have full control over your characters movements. You can break the tracking at any point. Your auto follow can break under certain conditions like losing sight or they go into stealth.

Yes… but how close does your toon run to the target? 300 units? 600? 1200? Does it depend on what weapon they’re wielding?

I haven’t played any other mmos, so I’m not familiar with this feature.

Swagger.1459

Target enemy.

Yes… but how close does your toon run to the target? 300 units? 600? 1200? Does it depend on what weapon they’re wielding?

I haven’t played any other mmos, so I’m not familiar with this feature.

Basically you get right next to the character and are in melee range, so 0 units.

Yes, the follow function works with any weapon.

Ok I gotcha. The auto follow is a very nice qol tool for movement based combat to help stay on your target.

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

I want ambrite to go into the material bank storage along with watchwork sprockets and blade shards :/

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

At 0 range?

Seems like you are willing to eat any and all damage…

I’m trying to remember most ranges:

180 melee range for most melee(, mostly cleaving weapons)
240 field radius AOE fields (marks/wells/feedback) tend to extend to this range
360 field radius for large area fields: (timewarp/meteor shower (meteors themselves 180))
400 “melee” elementalist dagger auto (Ill try to be between 360 and 400 most of the time. only moving in for combo’s/ special skills)
600 “melee” guardian staff auto, a.k.a. lootstick range
900 scepters and “limited range long range weapons”
1200 classic max long range weapons staves, longbow, rifles
1500 engineer mortars and traited ranger longbows
2000 some attack skills allow 2000 range (e.g. charzooka’s at Claw of Jormag)
5000 max range of mesmer portal

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Swagger.1459

At 0 range?

Seems like you are willing to eat any and all damage…

I’m trying to remember most ranges:

180 melee range for most melee(, mostly cleaving weapons)
240 field radius AOE fields (marks/wells/feedback) tend to extend to this range
360 field radius for large area fields: (timewarp/meteor shower (meteors themselves 180))
400 “melee” elementalist dagger auto (Ill try to be between 360 and 400 most of the time. only moving in for combo’s/ special skills)
600 “melee” guardian staff auto, a.k.a. lootstick range
900 scepters and “limited range long range weapons”
1200 classic max long range weapons staves, longbow, rifles
1500 engineer mortars and traited ranger longbows
2000 some attack skills allow 2000 range (e.g. charzooka’s at Claw of Jormag)
5000 max range of mesmer portal

Ok, melee has to be in melee range to hit correct?

You still have full control over your character, it just helps you stay on target as they move. You can still dodge, move, side step… whatever… It can be broken in different ways like losing sight or your enemy going invis or pressing a single key.

Watch the first video I provided earlier and you will see at times when the character zones into the other then makes an attack… There are manual movements, but that Tank character is also using auto tracking/following with a simple press of a button to hone in on the target.

See how pets follow and try stick on the target to attack? That’s the exact same auto follow movement function. So for example, instead of the run function in game that makes you run in a line, run could be designed to follow your target instead.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They had a type of ‘auto run to target’ in Guild Wars 1. You would either autorun up to the edge of the agro line (marked on the UI) if ranged or up to the mob if melee then automatically start attacking. I can’t remember though if they continued to follow the target if it moved. It took awhile to get used to not having that feature.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Auto-follow would be a great feature for bots…

Swagger.1459

Sure, but it could be disabled in open world pve so it’s not an issue.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Sure, but it could be disabled in open world pve so it’s not an issue.

So.. uhm.. if two players in pvp target each other, turn on auto-follow and set their #1 skills on auto-attack… wouldn’t that be a form of AFK playing?

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Hell No.

If someone takes the effort to GTFO of your way, you should have to also expend effort to get back to them.

Posted by: Fenris Amarok.4052

Fenris Amarok.4052

It sounds like you want to do as little as possible while you’re playing. I wouldn’t mind an auto follow allies or friendly npcs, but enemies should be out of the question. GW2 is based around fast paced, fluid, proactive and reactive combat. Not push button to start chasing hitting things. GW1 had it because that was gw1’s combat style. It doesn’t match GW2.

Some of the other suggestions sound good. I’d really enjoy a salvage system like Diablo 3, where you’d salvage all of a particular rarity.