+25% movement speed ideas!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I think it would be a nice feature to add in a base +25% movement speed on all 6th rune sets.

Thank you for reading this great suggestion about adding in +25% movement speed on all 6th rune sets! I’m sure most in the community would be greatful for the added +25% movement speed buff to all rune sets because it would improve rune and build diversity!

Thank you again!

Idea 2- My idea is great, but this one from Mea is so awesome!

I know better… 25% movement speed as amulet enrichment!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Enrichment

Idea 3- This is a partial quote from Ill Conceived Was Na that raises a good question…

Isn’t this a worse idea than simply increasing base movement speed?

I personally feel “simply increasing base movement speed” would be a great alternative to my rune idea. I’d completely be amenable to a base increase or going the enrichment infusion route.

…Good ideas and input peeps, keep it up!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It wouldn’t because for one you would be sacrificing something the runes currently provide in order to give the 25% movement speed. It invalidates a lot of other existing methods that players can use to acquire the movement speed. Swiftness is accessible to every class.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Toasa.1236

Toasa.1236

Every class got acces to +25% Speed (except guard) so, ist useles.
Also the runes that already give +25 would be useless (rune of Speed/traveller).

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I think a better idea is to standardize access to 25% across classes. Pick either trait, utility, or rune and let all classes access it via the same method. If they want to have varying levels of speed, make it based on armor class.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I don’t see a problem with this, it would be trivial to just add the 25% movement speed alongside all runes 6th bonus. It does invalidate a few movement based runes that don’t have another 6th bonus effect but that’s easy to get around.

The biggest problem is that it essentially just raises the base movement speed in this game by 25% since very few people don’t run full rune sets. At that point it would be better to just increase the base movement speed of everyone by 25% and adjust all other movement speed buffs to compensate. Also it raises the question of whether or not the base movement speed even should be raised, much less by 25%.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Agreed. Enrichments have a lot of potential that still hasn’t been tapped. I really want to see enrichments (and infusions) that add inventory space: cargo enrichments/infusions

~EW

Ayrilana.1396

I’d say no more than 15% if from an enrichment.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Whao, an even more awesome idea! Make a thread about it!

Edit 2- I changed the title and added your awesome idea in the op!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Mea.5491

I think a better idea is to standardize access to 25% across classes. Pick either trait, utility, or rune and let all classes access it via the same method.

I think we shouldn’t waste utility / trait / rune slots on running faster. I use the 25% signet on my Necro but I would like to use something more useful while keeping my 25% passive speed. That’s why I recommended an amulet enrichment. I’m glad some people like the idea. c:

Then it’s not worth it, lol. Everyone would just stick with the signets for 25%…

mtpelion.4562

I think a better idea is to standardize access to 25% across classes. Pick either trait, utility, or rune and let all classes access it via the same method.

I think we shouldn’t waste utility / trait / rune slots on running faster. I use the 25% signet on my Necro but I would like to use something more useful while keeping my 25% passive speed. That’s why I recommended an amulet enrichment. I’m glad some people like the idea. c:

Then it’s not worth it, lol. Everyone would just stick with the signets for 25%…

I’m ok with that idea too, I just think base movement speed access should be standardized. Right now we have some classes that have to spend a trait, some that have to spend a utility, and some that have to spend a rune on it, and that’s bad game design.

Ayrilana.1396

It should not replace existing runes, signets, and traits.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Isn’t this a worse idea than simply increasing base movement speed? It basically allows L60+ toons to move faster than any sub-L60, without any sacrifices. More importantly, what problem does this solution address? It takes minutes to traverse even the longest/widest maps.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Ayrilana.1396

Isn’t this a worse idea than simply increasing base movement speed? It basically allows L60+ toons to move faster than any sub-L60, without any sacrifices. More importantly, what problem does this solution address? It takes minutes to traverse even the longest/widest maps.

Impatience. That’s what it comes down to. The problem is that if Anet increases movement speed then soon enough people will be asking for more increases.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I don’t understand the issue. +25% movement speed is available for classes from specific runes, signet passives, and traits. Adding more sources just invalidates the things listed for no gain.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Mea.5491

I don’t understand the issue. +25% movement speed is available for classes from specific runes, signet passives, and traits. Adding more sources just invalidates the things listed for no gain.

The point of the 25% movement speed Enrichment is to use it freely by any profession without taking away an important utility skill, trait or rune slot.

Ayrilana.1396

The point of the 25% movement speed Enrichment is to use it freely by any profession without taking away an important utility skill, trait or rune slot.

If movement speed is more important then they’ll go with that. If another utility, trait, runs is more important then they’ll go with that. It’s simply a tradeoff which allows for variability in builds.

Mea.5491

If movement speed is more important then they’ll go with that. If another utility, trait, runs is more important then they’ll go with that. It’s simply a tradeoff which allows for variability in builds.

Do people actually do that? :o I’m super dumb then, because I use my speed signet all the time, haha…

mtpelion.4562

The +25 is for out of combat travel. Limiting our in combat effectiveness for an out of combat perk is bad game design and should be scuttled.

Ayrilana.1396

The +25 is for out of combat travel. Limiting our in combat effectiveness for an out of combat perk is bad game design and should be scuttled.

Luckily players can swap parts of their build before they enter combat.

Maybe a better solution would be to request build templates which has been requested numerous times.

mtpelion.4562

The fact that a clunky work around exists does not negate the fact that it is bad design.

Ayrilana.1396

The fact that a clunky work around exists does not negate the fact that it is bad design.

It’s not bad design because you don’t like it.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

I do that all the time… Put my 25% speed on, then as I’m about to enter a fight, I’ll swap it out… I genuinely figured that was the norm

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Its a trade-off. You have to choose: more combat prowess or more traveling speed.
Trade-offs are GOOD design.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’s not good design because you roll over for it, either.
I’m not willing to accept “perfect imbalance” on this one, and no one with game design experience should accept it.

There should be one, standardized way to obtain an out of combat movement speed bonus. The Enrichment slot idea is actually pretty excellent for it. Right now, it serves very little purpose and exists and an artifact of the older Ascended trinkets. I’m willing to agree that +25% might be a bit much for that slot, but even a +15% does wonders for the otherwise glacial pace that characters walk without it. It was a fault from the very beginning that was never corrected properly. Instead, we got a smear of gimmicks that some-but-not-all classes can use for passive boosts, while others have to utility, trait, or both for an acceptable non-combat movement speed.

And unless a build template can be designed to swap immediately as something tags me into combat, it’s not a solution.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Ayrilana.1396

It’s not good design because you roll over for it, either.
I’m not willing to accept “perfect imbalance” on this one, and no one with game design experience should accept it.

There should be one, standardized way to obtain an out of combat movement speed bonus. The Enrichment slot idea is actually pretty excellent for it. Right now, it serves very little purpose and exists and an artifact of the older Ascended trinkets. I’m willing to agree that +25% might be a bit much for that slot, but even a +15% does wonders for the otherwise glacial pace that characters walk without it. It was a fault from the very beginning that was never corrected properly. Instead, we got a smear of gimmicks that some-but-not-all classes can use for passive boosts, while others have to utility, trait, or both for an acceptable non-combat movement speed.

And unless a build template can be designed to swap immediately as something tags me into combat, it’s not a solution.

The player is making the choice to build for movement speed through the various means that they have available to them. Movement speed isn’t a requirement and it’s not bad design for players to make the choice in regards as to whether they want that bonus in their build or not.

People have become so accustomed to it due to how readily available it is that they assume that they must always have it. In GW1, you had skills that gave movement speed boosts as well as consumables. Really no different than now other than having many many more options available.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Give Guardian a 25% movement speed trait but put it in the Valor traitline.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

mtpelion.4562

Alternately, just give everyone the flat 25% movement speed buff while OUT of Combat (i.e. raise the base movement speed for everyone) and keep the +25% movement speed traits, utilities, and rune bonuses for IN Combat ONLY (essentially, speccing will only affect your in combat speed).

This gives you your “trade off” in combat without applying a 100% pointless “trade off” while out of combat.

The same should be done with falling damage as well.

Ayrilana.1396

And makes a lot of consumables, traits, signets, and so on useless. It takes away the variability of builds since it removes the trade-off that players make in regards to increased movement speed or something else with their build. The increases movement speed is simply a bonus.

Or we can just remove the increase in movement speed that players are already getting for being out of combat and then tack on your 25% increase.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Removing opportunity costs does not increase build diversity.

mtpelion.4562

Builds, diversity, and balance are all combat-related topics. Movement speed while out of combat is NOT a combat-related topic. When you stop conflating two unrelated issues you will reach the same conclusion I have.

Ayrilana.1396

Movement speed has applications while in combat. There will be a difference between those that have it and those that do not. Other aspects of builds have opportunity costs too. Should I sacrifice a little offensive for more vitality? There’s opportunity. It’s in that. Does that mean that the additional vitality should be added to everyone?

Aside from while in combat, there is little need for all characters to receive another flat increase to movement speed. There are already numerous ways for players to obtain this while out of combat.

mtpelion.4562

Movement speed has applications while in combat. There will be a difference between those that have it and those that do not.

Aside from while in combat, there is little need for all characters to receive another flat increase to movement speed. There are already numerous ways for players to obtain this while out of combat.

You are still conflating, and thus arriving at an incorrect conclusion.

Ayrilana.1396

Movement speed has applications while in combat. There will be a difference between those that have it and those that do not.

I am not but go ahead and keep on going on with that belief.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

This game is beautiful BECAUSE it doesn’t condition everything only to combat. Exploration, map travel, is taken on account too, on multiple levels.
They are NOT unrelated topics. They are two fundamental parts of what GW2 is.
GW2 is not flat combat. Stop trying to turn it into that.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

mtpelion.4562

Movement speed while in combat is wholly unrelated to movement speed while out of combat. Using balance in one to deny convenience in another is a conflation of two wholly unrelated issues, and is thus an incorrect conclusion on your part.

Posted by: Tornupto.2304

Tornupto.2304

Builds, diversity, and balance are all combat-related topics. Movement speed while out of combat is NOT a combat-related topic. When you stop conflating two unrelated issues you will reach the same conclusion I have.

It IS. If you would play PvP or WvW at any time you would know that fights can happen nearly everywhere sometimes even without a warning (vs. thief as an example). There are even builds just build arround moving as fast as possible for PvE. Making things baseline for convinience is bad. If you would do this you would feel slow again after a year and then cry for making 33% baseline. Just because there is a possible way to get faster it does not mean that it has to be baseline.

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

I have a solution for this that no one has ever thought of before in the history of mmos, and it’s MOUNTS!!! Mounts, I tell you! Faster than toon speed creatures, large enough to bear a toon! It’s genius ! ! !

Ayrilana.1396

Movement speed while in combat is wholly unrelated to movement speed while out of combat. Using balance in one to deny convenience in another is a conflation of two wholly unrelated issues, and is thus an incorrect conclusion on your part.

There’s the base movement speed which is what you see while in combat and then there’s the increase that you see while being out of combat. All of the existing methods to increase movement speed apply to both. Movement speed has a benefit in and out of combat.

If movement speed is solely a covenience, shouldn’t Anet have removed everything that provided it in GW1 and instead apply a flat percentage to all characters? Surely some builds in GW1 were built around having some form of movement speed. Really no different than choosing a utility, trait, consumable, and so on over another in GW2.

Whether used in combat or out of combat, it’s a trade-off.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Personally, I would like to see Legendary armors have integrated convenience effects … RS buff being one of them.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

IMO Out of Combat run speed should not be a character trait or take the place of a stat in combat gear.

If Anet did give a permanent run speed buff, Gem Store items could stack so they would still be desirable.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Some levels yes, some levels no.

Part of me wants to go back to the days of old when literally nobody had access to it or permanent move speed bonuses except thieves, and the effect didn’t exist on runes. The other part of me knows how frustrating moving that slowly is like.

Amulet enrichment is definitely no-go, though. Way too little sacrifice for such an essential part of gameplay.

OriOri.8724

Personally, I would like to see Legendary armors have integrated convenience effects … RS buff being one of them.

No. This game isn’t supposed to be one where grinding it out for better gear gets your character a distinct bonus. Ascended is the top of the line according to ANet. Legendary anything should never have a buff of any kind on it. Ever.

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Being able to run faster while out of combat helps you avoid/outrun mobs therefore it is a combat related topic.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

No. This game isn’t supposed to be one where grinding it out for better gear gets your character a distinct bonus. Ascended is the top of the line according to ANet. Legendary anything should never have a buff of any kind on it. Ever.

There is nothing ‘distinct’ about a RS buff, regardless of where you find it, so your argument makes no sense. I mean, you should just be more honest … you find it offensive that someone with Legendary armor would get such an advantage. At least that would make sense, even if I wouldn’t agree with it.

Posted by: Mikhael.2391

Mikhael.2391

Guys what is normal is to have a MOUNT because no one wants to be slow when crossing fields to fight. lets say im in a guardian or necro, i either take travelers or run signet of locust or dagger trait wich makes me “waste” a better skil for what build im running ( either condi or power ) , now if we could have mounts then the choice to be faster while fighting would be ok. Ofc no mounts allowed when receiving or dealling damage, and mounts should be 40% speed.

(edited by Mikhael.2391)

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I’m in the minority, I’m sure, but I hate increased speed most of the time. And when I do want it, I will apply it myself. I despise having it applied to me by other players. For this reason, I will never enjoy the benefits of the “Pact Commander” Mastery, and I will never accept the invitation to leave a zone that is closing. For me, it is more of a condition than a boon.

Speed boosts are a dime a dozen. You don’t need more ways to increase your speed. And you most certainly don’t need to force everyone else to have a speed boost when not everyone appreciates it. We need more OPTIONS in the game, not more changes forced upon everyone.

As for your suggestion that all 6-rune sets have the same feature, how does that give us more diversity? Making all the runes do the same thing gives us less diversity.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

OriOri.8724

There is nothing ‘distinct’ about a RS buff, regardless of where you find it, so your argument makes no sense. I mean, you should just be more honest … you find it offensive that someone with Legendary armor would get such an advantage. At least that would make sense, even if I wouldn’t agree with it.

I didn’t use the word distinct in my post, so I don’t know why you bring it up as its irrelevant. I don’t find anything offensive about your suggestion, stop putting words in my mouth. But I do disagree with it because it goes against one of the core concepts of this game that you shouldn’t have to grind for the best possible gear. There is a reason legendary weapons share the exact same stats with ascended weapons, and that legendary armor will share the exact same stats as ascended armor. They aren’t supposed to be better, they are merely a cosmetic item with convenience built in.

By giving leg armor a passive 25% run speed boost, not only do you violate this principle and introduce this need to grind for better gear in this game, but you also provide an indirect combat boost to the players who own legendary armor. By getting a free 25% movement boost, they no longer have to choose between sacrificing a utility slot, skill slot, or using a suboptimal rune set (for fighting) in order to get that runspeed. This buffs their combat abilities by giving them more options to go full damage oriented.

Adding any sort of boost to legendary armor would be one of the stupidest things ANet could do when they release it. Already more than enough players are kittened off about it being tied to raids despite it being purely cosmetic, and now you want to actually make it better than ascended? You must be joking. This is a horrible idea that would be very bad for the game

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So, people switch from an OOC to a combat build all the time? I somehow doubt that happens. OOC speed matters most in persistent zones. What’s actually happening is that people spec for speed and ignore mobs. I see no problem with that.

Why do developers slow player travel in the first place? Why not let players go as fast as they want, whenever they want? Since they do in every MMO I’ve seen, there must be some reason.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Base move speed needs to be increased across the board, so norn and charr don’t feel like they’re running through molasses and guardians of all races aren’t hopelessly left behind.