[Suggest] Allow 1 utility change in combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

For the sake of build diversity, I suggest you allow 1 utility change while in combat and keep the rest locked.

IF this idea is implemented, it would make gw2 more interesting to play because of build diversity. The current system is not efficient, take for example this:

For the sake of argument I will take warrior as an example:

• Suppose a warrior equips on my mark to make use of the reveal against thieves, but all of a sudden you are faced against a warrior, necro, or guardian and you rather have balance stance to counter the CC (crowd control) skills. On my mark is pretty much useless against those classes and you are basically using only 2 utilities instead of the 3.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This would reduce the importance of choices made in character building. Not a fan of the suggestion. Sorry.

Posted by: Goldfox.5729

Goldfox.5729

Not a fan either, and it would be distracting from the combat having to change while fighting.

‘’Many have eyes, but few have seen.’’ – Scriptures of Lyssa, 45 BE

Hitman.5829

Not a fan either, and it would be distracting from the combat having to change while fighting.

You can easily change while blocking or stealth, so that is not an excuse, besides if you would not like to change your utility skills while in combat, then don’t do it, but it would be unfair for those who do want to change while in combat.

(edited by Hitman.5829)

Ashen.2907

You can easily change while blocking or stealth, so that is not an excuse, besides if you would not like to change your utility skills while in combat, then don’t do it, but it would be unfair for those who do want to change while in combat.

How is it, “unfair?”

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

You can change while in combat ?

Pretty sure blocking puts you in combat, stealth doesn’t but it requires you to not be seen and not be aoe’d. GLHF with that.

Also, not needed. Be a man and kitten the situation properly. If you get jumped by 3 people and die that’s not on any one skill.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

IF this idea is implemented, it would make gw2 more interesting to play because of build diversity. The current system is not efficient…

Those two ideas are counter to each other. Allowing players to have a more efficient build will reduce the number of builds to choose from. Right now, players have to specialize and make sacrifices. If more skills are allowed on the bar, then less decisions need to be made on what to take, and diversity drops.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

One of the worst ideas you could implement on GW.
You basically are trying to remove one of the big aspects of it that is you need to choose 5 skills and go with it. Just like GW1 where you need to choose 8 skills out of hundreds.
In other games you can use any skill at anytime which i think its not fun as you just remove the aspect of building

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why stop at swapping a single utility during combat? Why not allow them all to be swapped? Why not allow weapon swapping? How about replacing the elite or the healing with some other utility?

Everything the OP writes to justify this option applies to the others: there are situations in which each would be useful.

Fortunately, ANet considers more than just utility of, um, utility skills when determining how to set up an infrastructure of game mechanics that allow for (a) fun game play and (b) continual rebalancing and evolution of the skills to match our evolution as players.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I disagree with the OP. If people want more diversity, add a utility slot. Swapping in combat is a bad idea.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Hitman.5829

I disagree with the OP. If people want more diversity, add a utility slot. Swapping in combat is a bad idea.

You said it is a bad idea but you don’t say why it is a bad idea. If people want to swap skills while in combat, how does that affect those who don’t want to swap while on combat?

i don’t see how adding that option affects those who don’t want to swap, if you dont want to swap, then don’t swap.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I dont get it. We can already swap 5 skills in combat. Or 20 skills for ele/engie. Whats 1 more supposed to do?

Ashen.2907

You said it is a bad idea but you don’t say why it is a bad idea. If people want to swap skills while in combat, how does that affect those who don’t want to swap while on combat?

i don’t see how adding that option affects those who don’t want to swap, if you dont want to swap, then don’t swap.

Something that affects play balance affects it for everyone. Encounter development would need to take your new paradigm into consideration, for example.

And changing the current set up would cost dev resources for all.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Character build systems in games involve opportunity costs. If you take X, it’s at the cost of not being able to select Y. If you instead take Y, you have to sacrifice access to X. Opportunity costs make build design more interesting and also are a way to inject some semblance of fairness into the game.

If you tweak the build system so that players can switch between X and Y at will, then there is no opportunity cost to choice of skill. Anyone who chose not to switch would still have that opportunity cost. They’d be at a disadvantage when facing someone who does choose to switch.

Even in PvE, opportunity costs matter. Every time a need to make a meaningful choice is removed (i.e., it becomes possible to have X and Y at need instead of having to choose and make do without one), the game gets easier. For many, an easier game is boring, which prompts calls for ANet to change mobs to make the game harder. Each time that ANet complies to those requests they are spending resources that might instead produce content. Everyone loses.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

while we are at it lets remove any importance of decision making in the game…

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

When I wrote that response I didn’t have time to formulate a detailed response as to why it was a bad idea. However Indigo’s response sums it up nicely.

click ^ to see Indigo’s response.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: xcheese.6345

xcheese.6345

This is not build diversity, it’s having a weird bandaid patch that allows for an extra utility slot. A better suggestion would be to just make the latter. This is not a worthwhile use of development time.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

For the sake of build diversity, I suggest you allow 1 utility change while in combat and keep the rest locked.

IF this idea is implemented, it would make gw2 more interesting to play because of build diversity. The current system is not efficient, take for example this:

For the sake of argument I will take warrior as an example:

• Suppose a warrior equips on my mark to make use of the reveal against thieves, but all of a sudden you are faced against a warrior, necro, or guardian and you rather have balance stance to counter the CC (crowd control) skills. On my mark is pretty much useless against those classes and you are basically using only 2 utilities instead of the 3.

So, this would actually hurt build diversity, not increase it. It would homogenize builds even further, since you would always be able to swap out that 1 utility for each next encounter.

Currently there is more build diversity, since you could choose to make a build dedicated to fighting a certain way, and beating certain other builds. With this proposed change that would stop happening, as everyone would run the same build that was best at as many things as possible and then swap out the weakest utility when they saw someone coming up.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Id like class/race swap in combat. Incase i run into a group of warriors i can pop my charr teef and run away like hell.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.