[Suggest]Reducing stickies in GW2 Discussion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Q:

I’m just throwing this out there for ideas and feedback. Currently the GW2 Discussion forum has 11 sticky threads. This accounts for just over 1/3 of the threads on the page. I don’t know about others but I tend to just scroll past the sticky threads without much attention to them as they have been there for so long. Additionally this pushes a lot of more fresh topics to later pages on the forum.

Looking for feedback from others, are there threads that others think could be removed from sticky status? Personally I think some that could be removed as a sticky or maybe just linked under one sticky thread like in the account forum are, “Policy on LFG Tool”, “Alert: In-Game Mail Scams”, “Policy: 3rd-Party Programs; Multi-Boxing; Macros”, and “Searching the Forums”. Like I said maybe those I listed could be linked under one sticky with a title something like, “Anet Policy and Notices Sticky Threads”.

It just seems to me that sticky threads are rapidly taking up more and more space so I thought I would bring this up for feedback and ideas.

The Burninator

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I agree, was thinking the same thing myself this morning, the stickies could do with a clean up.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe all the ‘Suggestions’ threads could be placed in the ‘Index’ thread. Except for the Glider thread, it’s kind of redundant.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Maybe all the ‘Suggestions’ threads could be placed in the ‘Index’ thread.

Lol, I was just typing that up you sneaky ninja, you. :P

~EW

edit: the Personal Story Restoration Update could probably get the boot.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Sorry. =P

I was thinking it could be moved to Lore, or something, myself.

I guess great minds think alike! =)

Edit: I ‘suggested’ a Sticky in Living World be ‘updated’ awhile back, as the links in it no longer work. It’s still there. Maybe it just doesn’t work for me, I don’t know.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe they could have a sub forum that’s only stickied threads, and remove a few threads where the opening information is outdated and irrelevant.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know about a sub-forum. Maybe it would be good, maybe not.

The thing is, it seems like most don’t read the Stickies, as is. We often point them out to posters seeking information.

Sort of like ‘News and Announcements’, I guess.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

If it were some type of sub-forum, it’d have to be named something like, “Frequent and Popular Threads,” or “No Dogs Allowed,” or something….

I get the feeling such a sub-forum would be like the GW2 Forum attic… where pretty threads that once got a lot of use are being stored ‘cause they’re too precious to toss away or donate to Reddit.

~EW

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Edit: I ‘suggested’ a Sticky in Living World be ‘updated’ awhile back, as the links in it no longer work. It’s still there. Maybe it just doesn’t work for me, I don’t know.

It’s not just you those videos in that sticky appear to be no longer available as I just checked. So it seems that sticky could be removed as well.

Maybe all the ‘Suggestions’ threads could be placed in the ‘Index’ thread. Except for the Glider thread, it’s kind of redundant.

I agree this would also help clear some of the sticky clutter.

edit: the Personal Story Restoration Update could probably get the boot.

Agree or moved to Lore as IC suggested.

Maybe they could have a sub forum that’s only stickied threads, and remove a few threads where the opening information is outdated and irrelevant.

I thought about that when making my post but I don’t know. Personally I would be all for a sticky thread forum but I don’t know if others would.

The thing is, it seems like most don’t read the Stickies, as is. We often point them out to posters seeking information.

Yep, a good example was when the in game mail scam was at its peak. The sticky about it in many cases was right above the normal threads and people still posted asking about it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one that thinks things could be cleaned up a bit. I know it isn’t a huge deal but forums with tons of sticky threads have always bugged me, especially when many of them are not that relevant anymore. Hopefully Anet forum staff will take a look and consider some of these ideas to clean things up a bit.

The Burninator

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I’ve reviewed the suggestion. It’s hardly new.

Things you might want to know:

• Each of the threads in the sticky section of GW2 Discussion is pretty essential.
  • We have an index thread for suggestions, but too many people failed to look there, and we were getting multiple suggestions a day, when it’s really most effective and efficient to post in the thread on the continuing topic.
  • Customer Support made a sticky thread for a bunch of previously-stickied threads, and readership dropped by a huge amount, thus prompting the creation of new threads on the same topic, and causing the loss of valuable information on the topic at hand.
  • Some of the sticky threads offer simple functionality information that is very valuable, and which was being lost before it was “stickied.”
  • A sub-forum for sticky thread is absolutely out of the question, for multiple reasons.
  • Yes, having sticky threads handy to which veteran forum members can point newer members is a very valuable thing.

This is obviously something I’ve given a good deal of thought. We make periodic adjustment to stickies, and we may do so in the future.
Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet