[Suggestion] A bookshelf at home

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vidar the Feral.3850

Vidar the Feral.3850

With even more books being added to our collections, I thought I’d suggest the implementation of a home instance based bookshelf to keep them in. I hope this would be barely any work on the devs part as they already have bookshelf models in game.

With the usual fluff items I don’t mind just tossing them into the void once their purpose is served but books are different. Somebody went to the trouble to write all the pages, and us to collect them all. Tiny self contained stories that seem worth holding onto, but not at the cost of my inventory space that I need for looting and what not.

Cheers for your consideration.

p.s. If I’m getting a wishlist going, it always seemed strange to me that we don’t have a bedroom space of our own in our home instances. I’d love to see one added in the future, or perhaps on an airship that serves as home base in an expansion. We could even display those trophies we get from our personal stories in there (check your story tab for the original campaign to see what I mean). But this, I imagine would be heaps of work better spent on something with more impact to the game.

Posted by: Killerassel.2197

Killerassel.2197

I like that idea. The books using up inventory (or bank) slots annoys me, too. And a book shelf in our home instance would be the perfect in-universe place to put them. They are ours, personally, so guild hall or Durmand Priory are not really fitting. Additionally this would allow guests in our home instance to read the books, too, even if they don’t have a certain page or nothing at all. (Which would not be a leak or something, since the content is usually in the wiki anyway.)

If a physical representation in-game is not possible at least they should be stored somewhere in the hero panel next to the story journal.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Thumbs-up here!

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Back in beta, they had a bookshelf in the UI which basically acted like the material storage. There were various books you could collect based on the creatures of the game.

If they ever implement player housing, these books could become actual decorations, then you could make a real shelf, though potentially messy.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree, I’d love this!

Some of my favourite single-player games are the Elder Scrolls games, and one of the things I like about them is that you can collect books about the lore and history of the world and store them on a bookshelf in your home. I often go out of my way to collect my favourite ones.

GW2 has the collecting books aspect but no easy way to store or display them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Great idea. I also wouldn’t mind if there was a part of the hero tab reserved for books, especially if it was less clunky.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

+1 Love this idea!

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

I totally agree with the others, it is an awesome idea. It can be at a specific spot in every home instance and maybe develop/increase over time? If done with the hero panel, they could just link the books with the specific achievements and allow us to read them by clicking on them.

At the moment I use one of my unused, forgotten characters as a mule for lore-items. It is a temporary solution, but there might come a day I have use for a druid again ^^.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Id suggest this suggestion, if Guild Wars 2 would even have REAL books in the game, that functionally even work like what you would EXPECT from reading a book.

Anet should learn in regard about this more from offline RPGs…..
Its really disappointing, when you know that ANet was in regard of this topic even better than they are now with GW2 with GW1 because there you had books in GW1, that gave you a bit better the impression, that you really read with your character a book, because a book like window popped up there, where you were able to change the book sites, as if you really read a book in your hands…

What do we have here in GW2 compared to this?
Just boring text garbage with eventually a a little portrait of your character popping up maybe…
But when you read a book in GW2 , you never have the impression, that your charactr really reads right now a book that he7she holds in the moment in his/her hands, where you change the pages as you read its content.

Tak for edxample Elder Scrolls Skyrim.. when you take up there in the game a book with your charactr, you really get the impression as if your charactr is actually readign the book, as the book appears in fronmt of you, openeed up and you can change the pages as you read the book – page for page, eventually with ilustrations and pictures in between.

A bookshelf as part of player hounsing, where you can place in the books that you collected and discovered or bouhght somewhere on your journey, would be only an awesome feature, if reading books itself in Guild Wars 2 becomes an eeven more awesome feature, that isn’t immersion breaking, like it is right now

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Kevin Ardinez.8906

Kevin Ardinez.8906

I Approve ! , speaking of Durmand Priory library, can we have all the books in the DP library please! ^^ so we wont go to instance sometime i want to reread those books.

Pamation nato ron ang sugilanon sa usa ka kapuluanon

Posted by: SunShamon.4320

SunShamon.4320

and cof make it a reward for something do not sell it at the tp for gems cof

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

Many others along with myself have suggested this.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Yes! Absolutely love this idea. I’ve “upvoted” other threads proposing this idea but I will do the same here.

We have so many books now, and many of us are still holding all these completed books in our bank storage. Mine is starting to fill up with these and I’d love to not only have a secondary place to store them, but more importantly to have a place to show them off.

If books became an account-bound unlock like home instance nodes, not only would we not need to hold onto those books in bank storage, we would also be able to have many more books.

I’d even support making this a crafting thing related to scribes.

Cause um… the crafting profession is SCRIBE after all.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Something like this would be amazing