[Suggestion] A randomized deep dungeon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shroud.4683

Shroud.4683

Hello, I love Guild Wars 2. There’s just something that feels good about the game that other games don’t. I love the fractals, it’s only gotten better since its original inception. But with the random elements leaving the fractals, I feel like maybe we should have something like the deep dungeon in FFXIV.

For those who don’t play FFXIV, there’s a dungeon that’s accessible at level 15, and it’s basically a 200 floor dungeon that’s randomized. It’s basically a rogue-like mode in the game. The character levels are independent from the main game, and all the gear has been normalized to a weapon and a piece of armor. Personally, it’s one of the best things in that game.

I think something like this would be an awesome fit in GW2. A 1-5 player randomized deep dungeon.

I’ve been through the entirety of the deep dungeon in FFXIV, and when I play, I just feel like this would be executed better in GW2, especially in solo. We have a lot more monster types in GW2 compared to the ones found in FFXIV. A deep dungeon would really make an awesome challenge for those who LOVE the combat in this game (which I know a lot of us do, it’s the reason I keep coming back to this game!) It would fit in the lore (just throw it in the mists). And it would be a great way to give players who may miss the randomness the fractals once had. It would also be a great solo challenge, as someone who plays early in the morning for only an hour, I find it difficult to form a competent party for tier 3/4 fractals (which is more frustrating than challenging), and usually my only option in the morning if I want a challenge is PVP, which I’m not always in the mood for.

Even if this isn’t considered, I recommend that anet at least give the mode a try in FFXIV and see how well it can fit in our game!

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Couldnt you simply do that by advertising a deep dive fractal run where you start at level X and work your way up the levels?

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Dragon Masher.5749

Dragon Masher.5749

Couldnt you simply do that by advertising a deep dive fractal run where you start at level X and work your way up the levels?

Thats neither random or fun.

Shroud.4683

The idea is a unique dungeon with multiple floors where each floor layout is randomized. It doesn’t have to be super complicated, judging from how well received the deep dungeon was in FFXIV, a little went a long way when it came to designing that dungeon. They reused assets they already had, but the key was adding that element of randomness in each floor. Each floor was between 3-12 rooms, had hidden traps, randomized monsters, and it distilled the experience to a party of 1-4 players going down in a deep dungeon and seeing how far they can go.

Honestly, the one issue I had with FFXIV’s deep dungeon was that I wasn’t playing in in GW2. The party/ solo mechanics in GW2 are far more flexible than the one found in FFXIV and our version of a deep dungeon would just be so much better.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

That concept of gameplay is it, what I have suggested here n there already several time,s when I was talking about improving the Fractal Gameplay with new additional "Fractal Modes "

Fractals have alot of unused potential that would make the Fractal Gameplay in GW2 alot more interesting.

Be it Heroic Fractals that let you replay either solo or as Group as other different characters their “Histories” like as if you read a book chapter per chapter and you replay their stories (beginning hopefully with Ghosts of Ascalon, followed maybe with Sea of Sorrows and the other GW2 novel book, because I’d love to replay the stories of the books in the game, because that would make the stories of the books alot more understandable and feelable, if you could actually replay the stories to see them just in the view of specific characters that played a role in these historic events)
Plus that could be used under a similar system like GW1s book stories to implement some interesting new rewards

Or what I#d love to see beign implmented with Fractals are special “Dungeon Crawlers” Unique Fractal Dungeons with their unique speciality, that these kind of Fractals are EVERYTIME YOU ENTER THEN – DIFFERENT cause of using a “No mans sky” similar technology which generates randomly the dungeon interiors ,its enemies ect. pp new right when you enter it.

Thing on some kind of awesome 100 floor tower dungeon crawler with like some epic boss enemies on every 10th floor, where everytime you enter it, these 100 floors expect the boos floors look everytime different, with different random generated enemies, which becomes more rewarding, so deeper you successfully can explore it, before your party gets completely wiped.

Or what id love to see is Mass Player Fractals where you are not just only 5 people, but you get thrown together with like 99 other random people which currently are doing the same fractal like you where you have to do then thigns, like fightign against the Marionette, or defending LionsArch against its 3 colored roboters from Scarlet or to be placed onto a random “Invasion Map”.. these kinds of old season 1 content would suit perfectly as Mass player Fractals to brign these thigns back into the game… or

another type of Fractal Mode could be Hunting Grounds which could be fractalds more designed around the target group pf MMORPG players, which love online games like Monster Hunter, Toukiden ect. where you are in huge maps hunting down huge monsters like big game hunters where you rise in a Hunter Rank so better the creatures are you hunted, so that you can join in to maps with far more dangerous creatures to hunt, which could be the kind of Fractals that could be awesome for solo as like group players to give these players some different kinmd of challenging content that must not be always attached to some kind of “story” but attracts simply more the “farmer” kind of players.

and im sure there could be even more interesting Fractal Modes, ANet just has to take the potentials only and make something out of it, instead of adding permanently only new Fractals, which are essentially always only the same stuff.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

I must admit a lack of knowledge on how well Anet’s tech would handle this, but procedural generation has a wealth of opportunity for something like this. A sort of “See how far our group can get” where you receive bosses from a random pool of enemies, or an event, each floor.

Every round the arena resets and a new thing spawns, be it a boss from a fractal, a boss from a dungeon, or a wave(s) of enemies and every round the enemies gain a buff that makes it progressively harder.

Difficulties are of course the creation and maintenance of this would likely be fairly difficult and time consuming, but I’m always a fan of letting the fans work to create some stuff. If Skyrim players can recreate half of Oblivion and Morrowind with the engine, we could probably make some dungeons. The main problem is dungeons designed to be easy loot farms, but Anet can always remove loot from the equation.

Its unlikely, but itd be nice to have more 5-man content

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

this would be so awesome. I would play more for this. a LOT more.

random procedural generation has been in the back of my mind ever since I heard of it a few years ago. if gw2 could do it, man oh man!

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Shroud.4683

Seriously right? The big thing about doing this is to create a game mode for those who want to enjoy some challenging, tense, combat in a pve setting where a party is optional. It puts the combat at the forefront, give the players that literally only have minutes to play a satisfying bite of the game. The randomization would keep things at least feeling different every time we dive in