[Suggestion] Armor Skin Designs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: technonewt.2907

technonewt.2907

Before Guild Wars 2 game out I was playing Aion (Korean MMo), and while the environment was pretty enough, I thought the armor design was marvelously designed. It had a very noble, pristine, sleek look to it. I would love to see such armor designs make their way into GW someday. Not to say GW doesn’t have that, but it seems there is a majority of armor skins that are gritty, torn, burnt, worn, etc, or have some type of fire/flame/molten theme. I think that’s fine, my Charr uses the dredge dungeon armor. But maybe balance it out with a wider array of armors that appeal to a broader spectrum of players. I guess I lean more toward a look though that is sleek and smooth, clean, maybe shiny. I think such types also have a practical application: better to show off dye colors, or maybe engravings in plate, metal, leather, etc. To show that you can have beautiful ornate, detail in armor/clothing without relying on a more external features if that makes sense?

Also of the things with many of the GW2 armor is that it’s bulky and many pieces are over-sized (mostly the heavy armor), some shoulders look huge, or have excessive spikes or other pieces going every which way; a lot of times clipping with back pieces, hair, etc. One of my favorite heavy armor is the culture human T3 set because it doesn’t have any odd, excessive appendages coming off it. It has nice detail in the shoulders and almost looks like a dress uniform. It would be nice to see more of that in armor. I also realize this is a fantasy game and many people like armor that doesn’t adhere to realistic limitations that historical armor would have.

So one of the obvious questions is, new armor, where and how should it be acquired. Sure they could be put into the gem store. Maybe future dungeons. But what about as WvW incentive? I’m not a huge pvper, but I have friends who are, but even for them there needs to be more incentive to go battle for our server. As I understand it, there are ranks in WvW; Invader = Legend, then it breaks into Tiers: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Mithril, Diamond. What if a new armor skin was added at the end of each tier. Someone who achieves the rank of Bronze Legend could barter/purchase a new/cool looking armor skin. Some physical manifestation to show off their rank and hard work. I notice that the 2nd WvW season has new weapons skins coming out. For me that’s a bit of incentive (aside from achievements) to go WvW.

Lastly just wanted to post some Aion examples of armor type designs to maybe better get my suggestions across instead of relying on my poor verbal skills. Also I apologize to the Charr/Asura players as this would be easiest to implement to human/norn race, though I too would love to see more Charr clothing.

warning, images are large in size

Attachments:

(edited by technonewt.2907)

technonewt.2907

Few more examples:

Attachments:

technonewt.2907

Some concept art for human male.

Attachments:

technonewt.2907

Lastly, I don’t think this actually exists in Aion, so maybe its more open for use by others since its just concept art. But can you imagine how nice this would look on Sylvari or human!?

Attachments:

(edited by technonewt.2907)

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

These are gorgeous! Me wants!

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Mishee.5719

Mishee.5719

Yes, taking some insperation from these would’t be such a bad idea. I would love to see legendary armor in the future. Were they go all out in design.

Posted by: Shizlam.4310

Shizlam.4310

Even i, that never payed for gems with real money, would throw money to my monitor to buy all those armors.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Allow me to buy a single piece of the set first.

Posted by: Lostyus.4250

Lostyus.4250

I really dont like most of the shoulder armour in this game, it just seems too big and unwieldy.

Also all the 2 handed swords are huge, really wide and/or long. Not all 2 handed swords are taller than the wielder, I just prefer some realism in my game and would love some of the items to be smaller.

More variation on armour would be nice too., either to buy from the gem shop or to actually get in game without having to grind for ingredients.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Also all the 2 handed swords are huge, really wide and/or long. Not all 2 handed swords are taller than the wielder,

There are many shorter 2 handed swords.

Unless you play an asura….then even a dagger is taller than the wielder.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

I was thinking the same thing the other day! I was wishing for a more regal look for my sylvari ele… I would love designs like these in GW2, and see a wider variety to the shapes as well (such as non-trenchcoat medium armor, my thief wants more sleek stuff, or more slimmed down heavy armor).

Edit: And I love the green flowery armor set.

(edited by Linnea.5146)

Posted by: darkkinder.7926

darkkinder.7926

Lastly, I don’t think this actually exists in Aion, so maybe its more open for use by others since its just concept art. But can you imagine how nice this would look on Sylvari or human!?

omg my Sylvari would love this!

Lostyus.4250

Also all the 2 handed swords are huge, really wide and/or long. Not all 2 handed swords are taller than the wielder,

There are many shorter 2 handed swords.

Unless you play an asura….then even a dagger is taller than the wielder.

Really?

What swords are they? Cause ive looked through them multiple times and they’re either very long and wide or just too long. Even the Ebon Blade (i think its called) is really long although it is narrower than others.

Maybe im being too selective, but i prefer straight swords, kinda just like a normal longsword with a normal sized hand guard .

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I still want this set:

Attachments:

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Xzaander.4123

Xzaander.4123

Oh god please no. GW2 is influenced by typical rubbish Korean design enough as it is, I would loathe even to think of more of that. Because, honestly, there are plenty of games out there for you to choose from who give you these types of armor design, but very few with a more “realistic” approach to armor design. So please for gods sake, leave GW2 alone. If anything, more heavy armor sets should look like Phalanx, Ascalonian or Human Cultural Tier 1, i.e. more medieval knight/soldier inspired.

Though one thing I hate in GW2 are the helmets… I love me a cool looking helmet, but only Phalanx and Dark fit my personal taste at least.

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

Not sure if this has been mention but I wouldn’t mind seeing something implemented like DOTA2 where the community has the opportunity to create armor pieces and various skins to be voted on and put into the game.

Lostyus.4250

“realistic” approach to armor design.*

Really? lol

The size of shoulder armour and some of the gloves and you think that is realistic?

With the human cult t1 armour you can tell that has been made a lot bigger, just look at the curved bit where the arm comes through.

Basically Id just like a lot more choice for armour (and weapons) there does seem to be a very limited amount compared to most mmo’s.

Oh god please no. GW2 is influenced by typical rubbish Korean design enough as it is, I would loathe even to think of more of that. Because, honestly, there are plenty of games out there for you to choose from who give you these types of armor design, but very few with a more “realistic” approach to armor design. So please for gods sake, leave GW2 alone. If anything, more heavy armor sets should look like Phalanx, Ascalonian or Human Cultural Tier 1, i.e. more medieval knight/soldier inspired.

Though one thing I hate in GW2 are the helmets… I love me a cool looking helmet, but only Phalanx and Dark fit my personal taste at least.

Realistic armor is mostly ordinary. And ordinary armor is boring.
Armors must be complex, special and have lots of glowing bits!

~Sincerely, Scissors

Xzaander.4123

Ugh, please. Go play WoW then or something. You CAN make armor look good without having spikes all over it poking into your head as soon as your characters just shudders a little. It’s all relative to what exist in the rest of the game and it setting. More intricate ornaments, cloth hanging from the shoulders or crotch, chains, sigils and medals decorating your character… the list is long. And all this, without making everything an over-the-top rave-fest at a gaybar in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

Oh, and for everyone else… I was talking about heavy armor because that’s mostly my preference. And as I said, there are already some armors with waay too exaggerated pieces, so I agree with you on that specific point.

Xzaander.4123

“realistic” approach to armor design.*

Really? lol

The size of shoulder armour and some of the gloves and you think that is realistic?

With the human cult t1 armour you can tell that has been made a lot bigger, just look at the curved bit where the arm comes through.

Basically Id just like a lot more choice for armour (and weapons) there does seem to be a very limited amount compared to most mmo’s.

No, I didn’t say realistic. I said “realistic”, i.e. within quotation marks with which I tried to imply a vague meaning, or make a substitute for the word “somewhat”. Because no, GW2 is not realistic. But it’t generally a little bit more grounded in realistic materials and designs than, say, WoW or TERA.

Ugh, please. Go play WoW then or something.

Go play dragon age origins if you want ordinary and boring armors.

And all this, without making everything an over-the-top rave-fest at a gaybar in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

Be careful when you use the word ‘gay’ in a derogatory context.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Lostyus.4250

I agree there, the lack of “realism” in wow is one of the main things that put me off even trying it.

Sorry i didnt get on to the "", i should have got the meaning :/

But what you said with the former post i do agree with, some of the armour is too OTT for me, like you said with all the spikes. Theres some good ideas there that i would like to see used.

But like i said, there needs to be a lot more items either in the gem store or in game, with the huge shoulders and huge swords it just seems very wow to me :/

Lostyus.4250

You dont need ridiculous sized shoulder armour or glowy bits for armour to be attractive or none plain. Maybe this game should take its own route instead of copying styles already used in many cartoony mmo’s.

Xzaander.4123

You dont need ridiculous sized shoulder armour or glowy bits for armour to be attractive or none plain. Maybe this game should take its own route instead of copying styles already used in many cartoony mmo’s.

I find it funny that people automatically assume I want huge shoulders.
In the end it’s a matter of personal taste.

The armor below is a good example of what I like.
It looks like it was made by a master smith, not your average craftsman.

And that’s fine. I consider that armor somewhat good-looking too. But there are good ways of making armor stand out without adding floating bits, glow, fire and spikes. I wish that for once in my MMORPG-playing gamership, a game could draw the line somewhere reasonable and stay in the ‘western’ part of fantasy.

Xzaander.4123

K bai. /15chars

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

This is not the first time that “Korean grinders” are mentioned in the same post with “awesome looking”.

While GW2 is superior in terms of gameplay, I cannot help but agree that Korean grinders are looking far better. I have yet to find armour sets that I like for 100%, and it’s pretty much the same with weapons…

I still want this set:

drools why isn’t it in game?!

20 level 80s and counting.

Lostyus.4250

And that’s fine. I consider that armor somewhat good-looking too. But there are good ways of making armor stand out without adding floating bits, glow, fire and spikes. I wish that for once in my MMORPG-playing gamership, a game could draw the line somewhere reasonable and stay in the ‘western’ part of fantasy.

This quote seems to be a bit messed up and i cant tell who said the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs :/

Was the post deleted?

EDIT* the parts mentioned have now changed to the 1st and 2nd paragraphs

Anyway i think we agree on what looks good, it seems we both might like the same style of stuff

(edited by Lostyus.4250)

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

I played AIon, that armour was the expensive one that took ages ( in the real sense of the word) to get…it took grinding to the next lvl tbh, and only the heavy armour looks nice.

Xzaander.4123

This quote seems to be a bit messed up and i cant tell who said the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs :/

Was the post deleted?

Anyway i think we agree on what looks good, it seems we both might like the same style of stuff

Yeah, I was a bit harsh to the guy so a mod deleted my post, maybe that’s what screwing up the quote. Well, well, I get a bit hot-headed when people don’t read into what I’m trying to say in my posts and instead just blatantly reply with something “witty” so it was probably for the best anyway.

I like GW2 in so many ways, but I’m a very visual person and therefore is attracted to cosmetics more than anything else in games. And as I really despise the “typical Korean” look, I would personally be greatly disappointed if the artstyle went towards that. I mean, those of you that like that kind of armor have soooo many games to chose from. The rest of us don’t, unless we want to go back to tab-target or 1998 graphics.

Lostyus.4250

Was the post deleted?

Yeah, I was a bit harsh to the guy so a mod deleted my post, maybe that’s what screwing up the quote. Well, well, I get a bit hot-headed when people don’t read into what I’m trying to say in my posts and instead just blatantly reply with something “witty” so it was probably for the best anyway.

I like GW2 in so many ways, but I’m a very visual person and therefore is attracted to cosmetics more than anything else in games. And as I really despise the “typical Korean” look, I would personally be greatly disappointed if the artstyle went towards that. I mean, those of you that like that kind of armor have soooo many games to chose from. The rest of us don’t, unless we want to go back to tab-target or 1998 graphics.

lol, ah ok that’ll be why

if they just released a lot more armour then that could cater to all tastes, (as long as they dont take the Korean or cartoon style only.) I was really surprised to see so few armour sets in the gem store (with this being a f2p game) which i searched in after being disappointed by how few sets were in-game :/

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

If people want these armors I don’t understand why they are looking to gw2 to provide them when Aion already has them.

Let’s throw logic under the bus!!!

Devona’s Rest

Well, well, I get a bit hot-headed when people don’t read into what I’m trying to say in my posts and instead just blatantly reply with something “witty” so it was probably for the best anyway.

I admit I did not fully read into what you posted. I apologize.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

I like gw2 cosmetics a lot, it amazes me how many people would love the skins you posted in this game. How-ever if they do nothing more than draw inspiration from it and make sure it still fits the other sets, sure why not. Personally I find gw2 cartoony enough as it is though.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I agree with what the OP has said. I’ve mostly selected classes/races based on similar designs to Destiny’s Edge (with the T3), save charr and sylvari (I don’t like charr and my sylvari is something totally different), sometimes using slightly different dye combos (such as my Asuran mesmer uses purple instead of blue) but I chose these armors because they’re the sleek, elegant, masterful looks. They make me enjoy the race and how good an armor set can look on each race.

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

I like gw2 cosmetics a lot, it amazes me how many people would love the skins you posted in this game. How-ever if they do nothing more than draw inspiration from it and make sure it still fits the other sets, sure why not. Personally I find gw2 cartoony enough as it is though.

Gw2 cartoony? but u like Aion skins? Please…Aion is like “Anime gone wild” lol

Xzaander.4123

Well, well, I get a bit hot-headed when people don’t read into what I’m trying to say in my posts and instead just blatantly reply with something “witty” so it was probably for the best anyway.

I admit I did not fully read into what you posted. I apologize.

Thanks, and as I said: I get hot-headed easily, for which I also apologize.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Sorry to be the negative force here but all those sets look like generic rubbish.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Xzaander.4123

Here are some examples on what types of armor I personally think looks “high-level” without being over-the-top.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

One could take it a step further and add some glowy bits to it to make it look more magical or something, but that can be done through subtle glow in the ornaments or glowing stones and jewels set in the plate, like in the third picture where the middle of the chest could have a glowing ruby or something.

Keep in consideration that these examples are best applied to heavy armor, as I mainly play war and guard. But the same design philosophy could be used when making light and medium armor types. Though I really want to congratulate whoever designed the light Acolyte/Named armor. Even though I don’t play a light class, that is easily the best looking armor in GW2. Good god, I could almost begin playing a light class just to be able to dress my character in that awesome piece of equipment!

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

I don’t like medieval or viking “realistic” looking armor and clothing in games. It doesn’t translate well unless its slightly exaggerated. The characters end up looking like a bunch of clumsy nerds larping about. No thanks.

The sets the OP put up are pretty awesome. They can tone it down so it’s not full on anime but yeah. Better than that trash they call Ascended.

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Female: nothing different than we have already. Naked.
Males: nothing different than we have already. Covered head to toe in a long skirts/robes.

Not exactly what I want more of.
What I want: more exposed skin for men, less skirts, less robes, less buttcapes, less massive shoulders, asymmetrical designs, stylish boots, etc.

I would attach examples but I know better than to waste my time, anet doesnt care.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

I like these kind of armors.

Attachments:

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Female: nothing different than we have already. Naked.
Males: nothing different than we have already. Covered head to toe in a long skirts/robes.

Not exactly what I want more of.
What I want: more exposed skin for men, less skirts, less robes, less buttcapes, less massive shoulders, asymmetrical designs, stylish boots, etc.

I would attach examples but I know better than to waste my time, anet doesnt care.

I concur with everything you say here, but those guys in the pictures above... Oh, dear me, some of those guys are delicious, despite not being semi-naked enough. I want a selection of them in a collection. Now. Just for me. And a few outfits for my mesmer from said collection whilst we’re at it - goodness knows, the poor chap has worked hard enough to have a dapper wardrobe.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Love Korean gears.

They’d sell a ton more weapon/armor skins if they’re even remotely close to what Aion/L2 offers. The intricacy of the design is really appealing.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Koreans have higher attention to detail, attention to detail is basically my fetish. So. . . sure why not. Definitely better than the Ascended designs, but that’s just my opinion.

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

Those aion sets look a lot more “realistic” than gw2 ones to me. And prettier

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Good gosh no, Aion has some of the worst visual design ever, and I don’t just mean ‘ever in an MMO’ I mean ever, period.

Posted by: Tzarakiel.7490

Tzarakiel.7490

What I want from a light armor is chainmail and hardened leather that is mostly, but not completely, covered with a robe/coat with an intricate pattern.

“I’m more insulted by his lack of imagination.”

Posted by: jayvux.4128

jayvux.4128

Love Asian-designed gears. I’d grind my organs away for these armor designs in gw2 ;o

GM of Leaders [LEAD]
Server: Darkhaven (fb.com/groups/guildwars2darkhaven)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJayvux

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

snip

Realism aside, I don’t want stuff like Phalanx (and many, many other sets) happen again. I saw this particular set on a male char first, them I previewed it on my human guardian – what a disappointment that was. Or heavy OoW, which looks completely awesome on dudes, gets ridiculous boob windows on females.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

It doesn’t really fit the GW2 aesthetic. Something more along the lines of human T3 heavy would be better.