Suggestion: Being able to see our nicknames

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dmix.5403

Dmix.5403

Hi ( ^ ^,)

I wanna ask something i really want any answer that make sense.

Why You can not see your name ?
Why You can not see players items Like WoW..?

I mean what is the point ?? Come on xD

Best regards

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I know my name. Why would I need to see it?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You slipped in an inspection feature request there. I suggest you google the mile-long threads that happen every time someone asks for one. TLDR: leads to elitism that doesn’t fit GW2 player culture.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

See your own name?
As in like account name?
Press Y (or open your contacts window however you may have set it), there you go
Your name at the top.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Nick names are what friends can give you in their friend list. I’m not sure why you would care to see that… Personally I use weird nicknames for people. Such as pugs that I do fractals with that we’re really good I nickname them something like “fractal”

If you’re really bad I put you on my block list and nick name you a number of how bad you were incase you’re in my party again and if I feel like having to be really patient or not.

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

Why can’t you see your own name?
Firstly, tell me why you need to see your own name.
Secondly, isn’t it just clutter for the times that you don’t need to know your name?
Thirdly, the camera angles would just make it look stupid 95% of the time, like it does for other MMOs.

Why can’t you see players’ items like in WoW?
First, gtfo like WoW…
Second, GW2 is all about the community, if you want to see a players equipment/gear you need to take the step and ask them. It creates dialogue and a connection to other players.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

This is fair, when I first came to game that was one of things that took the longest time to get used, not being able to see your own name hover over your toon. You get used to it but it seems off. Some people invest a lot of time into their own name and then only see it when they log in or are in the hero window. Its a valid point and keep expecting it one day to appear as a toggle feature.

But to the OP, you do get used to not seeing it.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You also see your name in chat any time you whisper, say. guild chat, emote, or map chat. If you forget who you are, just say something Preferably non-spammy and appropriate to the channel, so no one knows you had a brain fart.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

In GW1 there was a button you could map and press so you could target yourself. I honestly don’t see why that couldn’t be re-implemented in GW2. It harms nothing.

Seeing other people’s gear/stats, however…that’s not good.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Btw you can already see player HP using 3rd party programs that have been around for a while. It’s how dungeon speed runners know party members don’t have 100% Zerker gear equipped

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

lordkrall.7241

Btw you can already see player HP using 3rd party programs that have been around for a while. It’s how dungeon speed runners know party members don’t have 100% Zerker gear equipped

They are of course also rather questionable and should not be used since it is rather possible (and even likely) that they are against the ToS.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Its existed for long I’m guessing Anet doesn’t care enough about that one specifically. I agree, it’s likely against the ToS. Why stuff like player radar overlays being used in WvW aren’t dealt with, who knows

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

TLDR: leads to elitism that doesn’t fit GW2 player culture.

I thought this game is already filled with elitists and that everyone kicks everyone for having wrong dyes.

Posted by: Shalloe.4867

Shalloe.4867

In GW1 there was a button you could map and press so you could target yourself. I honestly don’t see why that couldn’t be re-implemented in GW2. It harms nothing.

In guildwars 1 you had to target yourself say as a monk to heal yourself so it was useful. GW2 has no support/heal skills that you need to target yourself and would just be completly useless and a waste of time to add it.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

In guildwars 1 you had to target yourself say as a monk to heal yourself so it was useful. GW2 has no support/heal skills that you need to target yourself and would just be completly useless and a waste of time to add it.

I mean technically GW2 is built directly on top of an old GW1 build so the feature SHOULD still be somewhere in the code just like emotes like /jump and /flex aren’t labeled “Unknown Command”.

I know that I’ve felt a few times like targeting myself just for heck of it but was unable to without someone else targeting me. It might not mean a lot to folks who are hardcore “everything must be useful for playing the game” but if it comes out eventually I will happily support it. Not a priority.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Its existed for long I’m guessing Anet doesn’t care enough about that one specifically. I agree, it’s likely against the ToS. Why stuff like player radar overlays being used in WvW aren’t dealt with, who knows

Probably more about that i woudl take quite some time and resources on ANets part to investigate and track it, so they need to have a suspension to begin looking into it, would be my geuss

Dmix.5403

I know my name. Why would I need to see it?

We know our names of course

But the point is .. it looks cool when you see your name with title

Dmix.5403

See your own name?
As in like account name?
Press Y (or open your contacts window however you may have set it), there you go
Your name at the top.

Lool you kidding right .. i know my name and i know i can see it in chat there is a million way’s to see your name .

I mean why can not see it " TOP " of your character xD

Focus people

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Because seeing your own name on top of your character is just totally pointless clutter on screen and it would be immersion breaking and ugly. Also you know your own name.

You asked for any answer that makes sense. There you go.

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

Basically, this game tries to avoid any kind of clutter on your screen which prevents you from taking in your surroundings/the art in this game. I would never want to see my own name in this game…

However, they could add it to the options menu as a checkbox like all the other “show xy names”. The functionality is definitely there, since you can see your name and title when you’ve been targeted by party members.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

It was mapable in GW1 because the combat system was dynamically different with targeted buffs and healing. In GW2, you dont have such skills. The ones remotely close to them are simply a radial skill that works in an area.

lordkrall.7241

We know our names of course

But the point is .. it looks cool when you see your name with title

Matter of opinion I suppose.
I prefer to not see a big line of text about my character all the time.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

This option should have existed since the release, like it is in other MMOs. Those who want this optrion would use it, those who doesnt like it, woudlnt use it.

Whatever is their reasoning, more options is better.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I assume they have more important things to do. Like fix condis

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Step 1: Group up with someone
Step 2: Let them call you as target
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

(edited by Wuselknusel.4082)

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

It might be nice to be able to open up an outfit window to see the generic name of the item skins your target is wearing and try them on your own character.

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Type “Hello” then you’ll see it in the chat box.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA