[Suggestion] Better dailies!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

I can’t speak for the rest of the community, but I personally find them boring, uninspired and fairly unrewarding. Also there’s a sense of anti-climax after I’m done with it. Most of the ppl I know see them as a chore to get over with just to get 10 AP.

How about Anet dig up some of the old dailies we had in previous iterations like daily killer, dodger, critter killer, crafter etc and bundle them together with these we have today into a randomized pool that would rotate continuously throughout the day.
You’d still get your Daily Completionist after finishing 3, but in this case you’d be able to continue after that point.
- Every time you complete one, you’d get a new one from a random pool.
- Every time you complete 3 after Daily Completionist you get 1 or 2 APs

If you are familiar with game Fallout Shelter you may see where the inspiration is coming from. I think they did better job at drawing ppl into doing dailies with constant desire to finish “just one more”.

With improved pool of available dailies, maybe a bit better rewards and unlimited source of things to do I think dailies could be quite fun experience. The reward would depend on how far are you willing to push yourself and it would neatly fill AP gap we got by loosing old monthly system.

Also button that completely hides dailies…
Thanks!

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Not sure on the chore, but I like the current system, where i only need to spend a few minutes more or less, get them done, and then return to playing the game.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

So your solution to people finding them boring and a chore is to add more of them?
and make them unlimited so the poor ap hunters that complained the 12 dailies before 1 ap each was to much and limited their playtime hence why they were changed to now 3 dailys out of 12 bam 10ap if ur high level enugh and your done with them.

No this dont sound any better back to the drawing board mate.

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Not sure on the chore, but I like the current system, where i only need to spend a few minutes more or less, get them done, and then return to playing the game.

This. i personally fully agree with you

Posted by: Ildrid Ildhjertet.2489

Ildrid Ildhjertet.2489

I would like for them to change as well, to a mix of the old system and the new, at least for the pve based ones.
Complete 4 events, no need to go to a specific map that I’ve completed on 4 characters in order to get my daily.
Daily gatherer, no need for me to map to the other side of the world to get a specific kind of gatherings.
Daily vista viewer, same as the above.

Would actually give some intensive to get another map completion, other than wp to Hoelbrak, enter home instance, wp to the black citadel, and check whichever other was the fastest one. Right now you only keep one map alive a day, due to it being the daily event. And I’m guessing that for new players, going back to a map they already completed is kinda counter productive if they’re on a time limit for playing and they want to work on their world completion while doing dailies.

Zergs.9715

This. i personally fully agree with you

And none of that would be changed.
Under my proposal you’d still get Daily Completionist after doing 3 dailies. The random part kicks in AFTER you’re done with with first 3. AFTER you’re done with your Daily Completionist you have the OPTION to continue doing them from a random pool of dailies for more rewards.

Sorry, I cannot state this any clearer that this, but I’m sure someone will manage to misunderstand and/or misread it.

So your solution to people finding them boring and a chore is to add more of them?
and make them unlimited so the poor ap hunters that complained the 12 dailies before 1 ap each was to much and limited their playtime hence why they were changed to now 3 dailys out of 12 bam 10ap if ur high level enugh and your done with them.

No this dont sound any better back to the drawing board mate.

That is not what I was proposing. Back to basic reading comprehension mate.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

In PVP or WVW maybe. In PVE they are a chore that is a ‘what is the point’. Sure they are easy, but my definition of fun is not waypointing around a map to get to 4 events before they are done, visiting the same old easy vistas everyone knows, or hunting around for resource nodes.

Linken.6345

oh so you totaly dident write this.

How about Anet dig up some of the old dailies we had in previous iterations like daily killer, dodger, critter killer, crafter etc and bundle them together with these we have today into a randomized pool that would rotate continuously throughout the day.

- Every time you complete one, you’d get a new one from a random pool.
- Every time you complete 3 after Daily Completionist you get 1 or 2 APs

These two things mean that you have infinite ap farm whole day that would not be healthy to the ap leaderboard at all.
And no Im not at the top I got like 13k ap only

Edit
Your basicly taking the old system and making it an even more chore for the ones that almost burned out on that old system hence the change to cap it to 3 dailys 10 ap.

(edited by Linken.6345)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The main problem with OPs suggestion is that it returns to what the compulsive/Leaderboard AP hunters were complaining about, but with a vengeance.

There were a number of threads asking ANet to cap AP points. There were people doing ALL of the daily achieve points of the old system and asked ANet to put brakes on it, becayse it was a huge chore but they didn’t want to stop and slip down on the leaderboards. In response ANet limited the number of achieves per day you could get from the daily and capped the total number from dailies. Since they were capped for a reason, it’s unlikely ANet would return to a looser system.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If that’s how you — and anyone else who supports the current iteration for this reason — feels, there is a real problem. If doing dailies is not “playing the game,” then the system stinks.

While I’m unsure about whether the OP’s suggestion would be better, some things I think would improve the dailies are:

• Keep three tasks to complete; keep the do 3, get 10 AP reward.
  • Keep the PvP and WvW modes; split PvE into two modes, regular PvE and add a dungeon mode with its own daily tasks for a total of 16 rather than 12.
  • Change the “events in zone X” to “events in region X.” Eliminate the really stupid gameplay which occurs when hordes of players compete to tag a few mobs.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If that’s how you — and anyone else who supports the current iteration for this reason — feels, there is a real problem. If doing dailies is not “playing the game,” then the system stinks.

While I’m unsure about whether the OP’s suggestion would be better, some things I think would improve the dailies are:

• Keep three tasks to complete; keep the do 3, get 10 AP reward.
  • Keep the PvP and WvW modes; split PvE into two modes, regular PvE and add a dungeon mode with its own daily tasks for a total of 16 rather than 12.
  • Change the “events in zone X” to “events in region X.” Eliminate the really stupid gameplay which occurs when hordes of players compete to tag a few mobs.

^

I would like this system. I do my daily but it’s outside my gameplay. It’s what I do before I start playing (and having fun), unlike the old system where it was what I did while I was playing.

ANet may give it to you.

Zergs.9715

These two things mean that you have infinite ap farm whole day that would not be healthy to the ap leaderboard at all.

Leaderboard? Where, if I do every daily and a top person does every daily as well I don’t stand any chance of ever catching up with him? Yes, healthy competition is very bad for the “leaderboard”.

The main problem with OPs suggestion is that it returns to what the compulsive/Leaderboard AP hunters were complaining about, but with a vengeance.

There were a number of threads asking ANet to cap AP points. There were people doing ALL of the daily achieve points of the old system and asked ANet to put brakes on it, becayse it was a huge chore but they didn’t want to stop and slip down on the leaderboards. In response ANet limited the number of achieves per day you could get from the daily and capped the total number from dailies. Since they were capped for a reason, it’s unlikely ANet would return to a looser system.

If that is the prime reason why they removed old system then my proposal is indeed pointless. Apparently catering to demands of people who are unable to control themselves is way more important…

smh

Just a flesh wound.3589

Leaderboard? Where, if I do every daily and a top person does every daily as well I don’t stand any chance of ever catching up with him? Yes, healthy competition is very bad for the “leaderboard”.

If that is the prime reason why they removed old system then my proposal is indeed pointless. Apparently catering to demands of people who are unable to control themselves is way more important…

smh

Yeah, well, what can be done? There will always be the people who take any system to the extreme. As a company that can be sued if they were warned and people somehow managed to hurt themselves by excessive behavior when using your product, especially if enough people were doing it, then a nerf was inevitable.

ANet may give it to you.

Linken.6345

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

In PVP or WVW maybe. In PVE they are a chore that is a ‘what is the point’. Sure they are easy, but my definition of fun is not waypointing around a map to get to 4 events before they are done, visiting the same old easy vistas everyone knows, or hunting around for resource nodes.

There are 12 daily, and i will do them depending on the style. Boss fights or resource gathering. Sometimes I skip the events, but there a few areas i know better then other and I do not mind them. I can also do the WvW which usually has 1 or 2 easy one, heck, i once got 3 done there super quick. Pvp the same, there usually 1 or 2 easy one to do, so my choices are not limited, and what I mean is, sometimes I feel like doing one thing and the daily other. Sometimes they are connected like if i want to spend a lot in WvW or PvP today. But at least with the way it is, even if my daily and my plans don’t match I can still finish them quickly and be done.

Zergs.9715

smh

Yeah, well, what can be done? There will always be the people who take any system to the extreme. As a company that can be sued if they were warned and people somehow managed to hurt themselves by excessive behavior when using your product, especially if enough people were doing it, then a nerf was inevitable.

What can be done is growing a bit of spine for starters. A person can hurt itself or die by excessively doing events. Doest that mean we should limit those as well. Ultimately you’re not responsible for other ppl’s stupidity. That’s a common sense to me at least.

I am aware of it’s existence, I’m surprised that it’s called a leaderboard and not a joke that it is. Take a good look at those names because they are probably staying there till the shut down of GW2. Without means to compete and challenge those positions I don’t see other outcome.
In my book giving ppl more stuff to do in game will trump any leaderboard any day. But that’s just me. shrug

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Maybe we should start by being sure we understand what the issue is before declaring one system better or worse.

I personally find [dailies] boring, uninspired and fairly unrewarding. Also there’s a sense of anti-climax after I’m done with it.

If I understand the OP correctly, they find the current pool of dailies to be less interesting than earlier iterations. I suspect even some ANet reward designers agree with that.

You’d still get your Daily Completionist after finishing 3, but in this case you’d be able to continue after that point.

If I understand, the proposal is to extend the pool of dailies to include older options. Further, instead of offering just four per day per category, the game would keep offering you an additional random option, each time you completed another.

I don’t think the proposal addresses the issues raised by the OP:

• People were mostly bored of the old dailies, too; they were just different sorts of tedium, i.e. how is killing 25 critters better than completing 4 events?
  • This doesn’t improve the rewards, which are already more substantial than we got before (i.e. only one reward per 5 dailies).
  • I don’t see how this would reduce the “let down” after completing dailies.

Further, I think the proposal introduces new issues:

• There’s a balance problem, since it doesn’t scale well to PvP or WvW, which offer fewer types of ‘original’ challenges.
  • It introduces a new grind, for any who are interested in maximizing rewards. Right now, we are limited to 4 rewards/game-mode; this would increase that.

tl;dr I agree with some of the OP’s criticisms; I think the actual proposal makes things worse rather than better.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Zergs.9715

I don’t think the proposal addresses the issues raised by the OP:

• People were mostly bored of the old dailies, too; they were just different sorts of tedium, i.e. how is killing 25 critters better than completing 4 events?
  • This doesn’t improve the rewards, which are already more substantial than we got before (i.e. only one reward per 5 dailies).
  • I don’t see how this would reduce the “let down” after completing dailies.

Further, I think the proposal introduces new issues:

• There’s a balance problem, since it doesn’t scale well to PvP or WvW, which offer fewer types of ‘original’ challenges.
  • It introduces a new grind, for any who are interested in maximizing rewards. Right now, we are limited to 4 rewards/game-mode; this would increase that.

tl;dr I agree with some of the OP’s criticisms; I think the actual proposal makes things worse rather than better.

Finally some constructive criticism! But to address some of what you said.

• I mentioned bundling up old dailies because they were already in the game so I assume it’s easier to put them back in then coming up with new ones. But frankly only the sky is the limit of what you can put in. Killing critters may or may not be more fun than doing events depending on person, but it breaks up the monotony of the same old. If you have more stuff on offer, boredom settles in at a slower pace.
  • Rewards and let down are in a way tied together. After I’m done with Daily Completionist I can keep rewarding myself by completing more than norm if I want to at my own pace or I can just ignore it.
  • I think there are plenty of stuff that can be introduced into pvp and wvw and that only barrier to making it comparable to pve dailes would be the lack of dev’s creativity.
  • Your last point I will illustrate through examples.
    - This person is gaining more gold than me. Introduce daily gold cap.
    - This person is earning more karma than me. Introduce daily karma cap.
    - This person opened more SW chests than me. Introduce daily chest cap.
    Bottom line it’s only a grind IF you make it a grind for yourself! And I don’t think it should be catered to a crowd with no self control at the expense of everyone else.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Many players were against the proposal and implementation of this latest iteration of Dailies. Sadly, the amount of players lamenting having to do all Dailies offered was enough to, evidently, sway the Devs into instituting the 10AP, and only 10AP/per day version. Even though the ToS clearly states ArenaNet is not liable for any O/C-type tendencies that players may suffer from.

Still, who knows? Maybe another kind of Daily will find its way into the game at a later date. At least, for me, anyway, it is relatively easy to acquire the 10 AP per day, even if it is somewhat same ol’, same ol’.

I have to say, though, I don’t care as much about AP as I used to, once the contents of the AP chests changed.

Posted by: Nadesh.7953

Nadesh.7953

The current system is simple and easy, and many people like that.

My point of view is that they could do many changes to the current system but the current dailies should stay for the ones that want to do something else and want to get them done quickly.

For this ideas I will focus in pve:

1) First, I think they should add events like in the WS map for all maps. Something like Scarlet’s invasions. The idea isn’t to have those events running all the time in all maps or most would be empty all the time. The idea is to rotate that map each x amount of time (could be daily or weekly).

2) Back to the dailies. The idea would be to add dailies (this won’t affect the current dailies) focused in the event (invasion) map. This way the player can complete the dailies and play the invasion event at the same time.

3) Maybe add dailies based on the Order we are in. This way in one they ask us to kill stuff, in another one they ask us to get x items/resources, etc.

4) I think dailies could count x2 when are hardder than others. For example, the one that ask to complete “x” events in “y” map, should count x2.

5) In all this ideas the required dailies would remain at 5. All this is just to add some choices.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Truthfully the rewards for getting AP are both kind of meager and frustratingly difficult to get. At 10AP a day and whatever other points I can scrounge up during this content drought, it takes a while to get a chest and even longer to get from one chest with a weapon/armor skin to another. Unless they open up the AP faucets, getting a full set of all the weapon and armor skins on offer puts the time to get all the Legendaries to shame. It’s one thing to put a carrot in front of us. It’s another to remove the ways to get the carrot in any sort of a timely manner by not offering ways to get extra AP with new content for months at a time and capping the daily AP at 10.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: WetWookie.1687

WetWookie.1687

My problem with dailies is that I can find myself having played for a few hours only to realize I’ve made ZERO progress on my dailies.

My suggestion is that dailies be updated with two levels of criteria that can be used to complete it. For example you could have a daily for “Complete 4 events on Brisbane OR complete 10 events on any other map” or “Harvest 4 plants in Orr OR harvest 10 plants in any other map”

This would let you jump around maps to do the minimum required to meet the daily req while also letting you satisfy the requirements through natural play on whatever map you are enjoying at the moment.