[Suggestion] Better loot

[Suggestion] Better loot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

This game has a problem with it’s loot.

I think the game needs better loot overall. It doesn’t feel very rewarding to kill trash mobs, nor do I feel excited about anything that might drop from a boss. It’s all vendor trash, all of it.

Trash

And I’m not just talking about all the broken lockpicks. There’s a vast amount of trash in the game, and there’s even a “Sell Junk” option in the vendor screen! Why do these items even exist? Does anyone ever think “Yaaay broken lockpicks”?

Blues and greens

Then there’s the blues and greens. Again, vendor trash, or salvage trash. They never have interesting skins or statistics. Unless you are really low level, there really isn’t any reason to look twice at anything that has a blue or green color.

Gold

Gold items should really be special, but they aren’t. They never have any pretty skins, or statistics that are above average. There’s not really any reason to equip a gold item, or to be excited about getting one. Sure, it’s neat that they can be salvaged for ectos, or sold for roughly 30 to 40 silver on the TP. But 100% of the time a gold item is not going to improve your character. It’s again vendor trash, but with a slightly higher return.

Exotics

Exotics are a rare exception. They are the only types of items (apart from perhaps ascended gear) that have good looking skins, maxed statistics, and are worth a lot of money. But their drop rate is very low (as it should be), and again, they never have above average statistics. The statistics are maxed, which doesn’t put them any higher than an average gold item statistics wise, and they aren’t close to ascended statistics.

Rare skins

With the Bazaar we have a chance of getting rare tickets, or rare loot, or what ever they tend to throw out with most events. But lets not confuse words here, CHANCE should be spelled out in the tiniest font possible. It is a miniscule chance. It’s so ridiculously small, that you might as well not bother at all. It reminds me of the mini panda in GW1, which had like a 1 in 0,00000000001% chance of dropping. That’s like having to win a lottery.

We need better loot

I want to see better drops. Not just drops that are higher is value, but more unique skins, unique statistics, and among the common loot. I want to see loot that even a level 80 character would consider equipping, instead of selling. I want to feel excited about what I loot from my enemies, like the loot in the classic Diablo.

And for Grenth’s sake, get rid of the junk items. No one gives a flying dolyak about those. When even the game itself labels them as “junk” why do they even exist?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

This seems to be one of the most requested issues to have Anet address; though on the surface it also seems like a multi-tiered problem and not one Anet is willing to address in a way that players want. Further, it’s been an issue since beta (especially on the “Unique” designs area).

For Anet to truly innovate here, they will have to surrender to giving content to only the Gem Shop. The half baked LS (commercial for the Gem Shop) will need to go on hold so that new skins, minis and other items of interest can be added into the loot tables.

They will need to finally address the improper tiering of the loot tables; such as a level 80 getting blues and greens, or yellows and oranges for a level 78. For that matter, by level 60 blues shouldn’t be dropping at all. Greens and the occasional yellow with the oranges being still fairly rare.
The “Junk” items are really an issue as junk is always in these types of games. Something needs to fill the bags and in fact, I wish more of these stackable “Junk” items would drop as they would easily cover any costs of WP usage and then some.

As for unique skins – I’ll pick on the Norn here as I always wanted to like the Norn but simply couldn’t because seeing them in Human Armor bugged me too much – so I simply don’t bother.
The Norn NPCs look like Norn. Very few of the NPC wear the human attire. There are in fact at least four Norn “Armor” sets in game that are not available to players that a male and female NPC are wearing (one in each of the great lodges – Bear, Wolf, , etc).

This means that art is already IN the game and just needs to be added to the Loot tables. Assign those drops to be usable by Norn only and add them throughout all the Shiverpeaks areas throughout all levels and suddenly the Norn have a ton of new usable content to chase.

Sylvari also have several NPCs wearing Bark-like armor that players don’t have access too. So I’m sure the Charr and Asuran so as well.

Sadly, the current track record suggests any new content like this will not be added in the game but rather to the Gem Shop – thus removing content from the game and adding yet another “buy in” item.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I really want to love this game but the loot really kills it for me. It is beautiful, well made and the team is always trying their best to improve balance and quality of life…but yet despite all of the wonderful changes that have come to us, still at the heart of the problem with the game is loot and rewards.

I love the story, the lore, gameplay, the new boss mechanics they keep introducing, but there are no rewards that make doing the content worthwhile.

The open world loot is lackluster and an insult to the beautiful game that is Guild Wars 2.

Where is Professor Yakington’s descendant collecting the “trash” grey items in exchange for a gift or something special. Where is the epicness that should be dungeon loot? Why don’t dungeon armor & weapons drop IN THE DUNGEON?

People shouldn’t feel like they’re forced to do dungeons because that’s the quickest way to get 1 gold. I shouldn’t feel like the most rewarding game play is running in a circle killing champs or EoTM. I don’t WANT to run in circles doing the same thing over & over again. I DO want nice drops from playing the game.

I don’t play Trading Post Wars because it’s futile for me. Some people enjoy the speculating, buy low, sell high…not me. You keep adding gold sinks into the game to deal with the people who have tonnes of gold due to playing the market, but they’re busy playing the market and those of us playing the game are getting poorer & poorer.

I am sick and tired of seeing new people coming into the game and without any effort on their part, without trying BOOM a precursor drops into their lap. Yet people like my husband and me have been playing the game every day since Beta, working towards finding a precursor in every aspect of the game and nothing but utter crap. My husband finally got tired of being angry at the game for being crapped on with the utterly horrible drops that he’s quit (for a while, forever, don’t know)….and if nothing happens then I might follow him.

And there are countless others like me who just slink off into the nothingness without saying a word because Guild Wars is becoming GOLD Wars. Something needs to happen to make the game feel rewarding or more people like me are just going to fade away and the only people who will stay are those that are the lucky ones who get the good loot….until it’s their turn to get nothing because the rest of us who have been crapped on since Beta have faded away.

The loot in this game SUCKS. The RNG system is TERRIBLE and I will not now or ever buy gold. And from this point forward I will no longer be buying gems for anything in the gem store because I refuse to support this game that provides terrible rewards to the players.

I hate it because in every other aspect, I love the game.

Fix the loot. Please.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

More passionate remarks on this here. I’ve seen a slew of threads pop up regarding this issue.

Some days I feel like anet took this thread and went to the extreme….

(edit)
@khani.4786 your signature broke my heart. Don’t let it happeeeeeen!

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

(edited by Allaraina.8614)

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I miss lockpicks from GW1. Those were exciting to find. Dungeons had special chests hidden around that you needed either a specific key or a lockpick to open, and they always contained something at least semivaluable. Sometimes you would get something awesome like a ruby, sapphire, or somesuch (those were very valuable). Any mob had a chance to drop a lockpick iirc.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

You know. I had this entire 4 paragraph analysis typed out just now, but boom, forum error and it’s gone. sigh

@khani I really don’t want dungeon armor dropping in dungeons instead of being buyable for tokens. What that means is that on average, you’ll probably have to run the dungeon the same number of times as you would now, but you just have no idea when you’re going to get drop. Not fun.

[Suggestion] Better loot

khani.4786

You know. I had this entire 4 paragraph analysis typed out just now, but boom, forum error and it’s gone. sigh

@khani I really don’t want dungeon armor dropping in dungeons instead of being buyable for tokens. What that means is that on average, you’ll probably have to run the dungeon the same number of times as you would now, but you just have no idea when you’re going to get drop. Not fun.

I don’t want the dungeon armor to drop instead of getting it with tokens…I want it in addition to.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Xenon.4537

I would like them to implement a hard mode for all dungeons in which ascended weapons and armor drop so that we don’t have to grind infusions for 49th fractal.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Mmmn, I like hard modes

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

[Suggestion] Better loot

Xenon.4537

Hard mode vanquishing was really fun in GW1 because of the map design and mobs. Also the enhanced loot tables. Hard mode VQ added stuff like skill books, lockpicks, rare mats, etc. Juicy stuff for making money. And you didn’t have to grind infusions for hard content! In GW2 the only hard content is locked behind high agony resistance. I’m not even sure but is the loot even remotely better in high fractals? I’m only up to like 26.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

As long as ArenaNet continues to sell gold you will never see any major loot improvements. Currently everything revolves around gold since the cash shop allows you to buy gems and then exchange those for gold. It behooves them to keep worthwhile skins highly limited in order to create a greater demand for gold.

The game is in the exact same situation as Diablo III was in thanks to the RMAH.

[Suggestion] Better loot

khani.4786

I’m not even sure but is the loot even remotely better in high fractals? I’m only up to like 26.

It isn’t. I’m at lvl 41 now.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Ok, I just want to look at this from a wee different angle for a second. Junk is classic. It’s a nod to the genre. I mean they took away quests and exclamation marks, I can’t make a corpse run anymore, I might not miss some of these things, but this goes along the same lines as replacing your plain sword with a shiny one, maybe one with flames. Deeply rooted into the genre. Every Hero since 1876 picked up junk and some vendor gave him copper in return.

So tldr and such … #donttouchmytrash

Edit: Fixed the hashtag to make it more forumconform …

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

[Suggestion] Better loot

khani.4786

Ok, I just want to look at this from a wee different angle for a second. Junk is classic. It’s a nod to the genre. I mean they took away quests and exclamation marks, I can’t make a corpse run anymore, I might not miss some of these things, but this goes along the same lines as replacing your plain sword with a shiny one, maybe one with flames. Deeply rooted into the genre. Every Hero since 1876 picked up junk and some vendor gave him copper in return.

So tldr and such … #donttouchmytrash

Edit: Fixed the hashtag to make it more forumconform …

we’re not talking about removing grey “junk” items (I"m not anyway)….but the overall quality and quantity of items we receive is abysmal.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

we’re not talking about removing grey “junk” items (I"m not anyway)….but the overall quality and quantity of items we receive is abysmal.

Sure thing, comes up all the time. I’m certain if I check my post history I mentioned rarely being exited about any kind of drops because most drops are just there to be salvaged or flushed anyways. One thing that I thought was well done was the dye drops … well those have been discontinued.

But getting rid of the beloved trash does not come up all the time and does deserve attention as well. It was the first point in the list after all

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

Anet you are losing me. Either up the loot tables and don’t make kitten decisions like your removal of XP and loot from the pavilion, or turning champs into vets. Thank god, Archeage is coming. I look forward to spending my time in that game and only do dailies in GW2. Glad I only wasted 2 days getting my 14 achievements in your latest temp content.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

What you want is better loot
What you get is nerfed loot

Sorry, that’s just the way it is.

And Archage smarchage. Wildstar is where it’s at, in 9 days!!

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I honestly don’t see how that’s better loot. From what I heard, their legendaries/artifact weapons is created from a rare raid drop which gives you a quest to complete, which sounds pretty much just like a precursor drop.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Xenon.4537

Anet you are losing me. Either up the loot tables and don’t make kitten decisions like your removal of XP and loot from the pavilion, or turning champs into vets. Thank god, Archeage is coming. I look forward to spending my time in that game and only do dailies in GW2. Glad I only wasted 2 days getting my 14 achievements in your latest temp content.

I laugh when people mention archeage. You might as well be saying “Hey Bethesda, Oblivion sucked! Good thing Fable 2 is coming out!”

[Suggestion] Better loot

Xenon.4537

Wildstar Wowstar.

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

I honestly don’t see how that’s better loot. From what I heard, their legendaries/artifact weapons is created from a rare raid drop which gives you a quest to complete, which sounds pretty much just like a precursor drop.

No one’s comparing loot in other games with this game. What we’re saying is, give us better loot, or there are other games out there that look good as games to play instead.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

[Suggestion] Better loot

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

This game has a problem with it’s loot.

I think the game needs better loot overall. It doesn’t feel very rewarding to kill trash mobs, nor do I feel excited about anything that might drop from a boss. It’s all vendor trash, all of it.

/snip

Gold

Gold items should really be special, but they aren’t. They never have any pretty skins, or statistics that are above average. There’s not really any reason to equip a gold item, or to be excited about getting one. Sure, it’s neat that they can be salvaged for ectos, or sold for roughly 30 to 40 silver on the TP. But 100% of the time a gold item is not going to improve your character. It’s again vendor trash, but with a slightly higher return.

Exotics

Exotics are a rare exception. They are the only types of items (apart from perhaps ascended gear) that have good looking skins, maxed statistics, and are worth a lot of money. But their drop rate is very low (as it should be), and again, they never have above average statistics. The statistics are maxed, which doesn’t put them any higher than an average gold item statistics wise, and they aren’t close to ascended statistics.

I never had a problem with the loot. Yeah you get a bunch of blues and greens, but thats normal in any game I’ve played with loot. However I do agree, at lower levels blue and green gear is useful, but I would contend that gold (yellow) is also useful. Especially on a sub 80 character, and will improve your character until you can get exotic.

Also the difference between the stats on gold, exotic, and ascended is 20% increase from gold to exotic, and a 10% increase from exotic to ascended. So exoctic stats are closer to ascended stats then they are to gold stats.

You can see the stat percentages here on the wiki. .

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”