[Suggestion] Buff chat log for commanders

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GlitchyBat.3682

GlitchyBat.3682

One thing that sometimes felt like a pain was if a map is organizing and a commander’s involved and doing stuff, the rest on mapchat will be giving updates or talking about their bad RNG or something. It can clutter the mapchat/teamchat/whoeverchat with a lot of text that can make searching for a commander’s instructions or messages a bit tedious, especially if you’re trying to stay alive or keep up with a zerg, and can’t be bothered to keep reading for commander’s name and instructions in chat. I usually had a hard time following in WvW, in example. I’d imagine PvE heavy organizations like TT or something would potentially benefit from this pitch here.

If elected president, I propose that the chat log get some kind of buff that lets it carry the Dorito colors or change commander text somehow so it’d be more easily recognizable when you’re just glancing at the chat for a single line or two, instead of juggling around and leaving yourself to messing up in game while trying to read and stay up to date on what’s going on or what’s going to be done next.

Attached are totally not bias at all scenarios that show the hidden usefulness about having tagged players have an icon or something next to their name.

I don’t really know if the demand or interest of this tweak is worth the effort of modifying the chat panel, but it was on my mind for the past few days from following in WvW or organizing maps for Teqqy or stuff. You can make fun of me now.

[OWLS] Priory Elder Dragon Research Team
[EDS] Elder Dragon Sympathizers

GlitchyBat.3682

Blah

I broke the attachments. Go me.

Attachments:

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

The commander chat log needs huge buffs.

1. Different commander colour
  2. Commander text at the start
  3. Commander icon infront of the text
TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

I have nothing to add to this

but LOL@those chats

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

GlitchyBat.3682

The commander chat log needs huge buffs.

1. Different commander colour
  2. Commander text at the start
  3. Commander icon infront of the text

Color in the text wouldn’t hurt, if they make it in a way that it doesn’t clash with other chat modes. (red for map, blue for party, whatever)

Commander in front of everyone’s name seems a bit much because of how it would stretch out the nametag. Might not be very good for those with low resolution and interfaces. The commander icon would be instantly identified with very little extra space needed. Less clutter.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Agreed.

Take RS forums for example (not naming actual game but you can probably tell anyway):

Forum Mods background posts are tinted a slight green color and it helps differentiate amongst the plethora of ordinary yellow/gold tinted posts.

Something like this akin to commanders typing whatever instruction could use the tinted background beneath the text to help spot it from all the other players typing.

I like the ideas above mentioned too, and a couple of my own suggestions:

• Commander icon next to name in chat
  • Possibly 1 more commander color
  • Color of commander tag currently chosen should have the option to toggle the exact same color onto the background of their text typed in a tinted variant
  • ANYTHING the commander types should also pop up on screen like the “say bubbles” do because A LOT of people tunnel vision and may not be paying attention to what’s typed in the box as opposed to something that’s just popped up in front of them on screen

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

That map chat was genius.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: brently.7946

brently.7946

This needs to happen anet.

GlitchyBat.3682

• ANYTHING the commander types should also pop up on screen like the “say bubbles” do because A LOT of people tunnel vision and may not be paying attention to what’s typed in the box as opposed to something that’s just popped up in front of them on screen

You raise an interesting point. One thing that was sometimes a pain for me when commanding is when I need to type fast due to autorun or staying alive, and I need to swap focus from mapchat to saychat.
I can imagine a counterargument that tunnel vision will make those ignoring mapchat or teamchat have things directed to it seem out of context (and hopefully hilarious, on occasions) but I can’t think of anything that would necessarily make it a problem if commanders had say bubbles on any public chat mode.

Posted by: Eto Zamamai.9847

Eto Zamamai.9847

I have to say this is a very useful and (relatively) practical to apply. This seems like an extremely easy way to make commanders more prevalent.

I imagine the reason why we have not seen a feature like this was because anet had intended for squad chat to be used in this way, however we are all aware this is not currently practical.

The only downsides I can see is that for map chat advertisements people will tag up to get more attention for their posts, creating an excess of commanders not currently commanding in a given zone. This of course will defeat the purpose as the map will be more difficult to organize. That being said with a change as subtle as a little command tag in front of a name it will be easily seen while may not encourage too much abuse of it for advertisement attention.

GlitchyBat.3682

I have to say this is a very useful and (relatively) practical to apply. This seems like an extremely easy way to make commanders more prevalent.

I imagine the reason why we have not seen a feature like this was because anet had intended for squad chat to be used in this way, however we are all aware this is not currently practical.

The only downsides I can see is that for map chat advertisements people will tag up to get more attention for their posts, creating an excess of commanders not currently commanding in a given zone. This of course will defeat the purpose as the map will be more difficult to organize. That being said with a change as subtle as a little command tag in front of a name it will be easily seen while may not encourage too much abuse of it for advertisement attention.

Yeah, I don’t WvW much, so I almost never have a reason for squads, and most people aren’t going to join a squad for a <10 minute world boss or SW chest train or something. I guess it mostly has its place in the more strategic WvW maps?

The advertisement abuse will happen. To be fair though, the more annoying they are, the more backlash a busy map will probably give them. Wouldn’t help their cause very well. People can already cause mayhem with their tags as it is, and I don’t usually see that kind of thing happening often, at least in modern times. Wasn’t playing when the tags were first introduced, but it sounded like there would be kitten meowyfaces who would try to steer everyone off course. If any severe abuse occurs, it’d probably be on this theoretical update and die down over time. Point is, I think people will call out advertisers and misleaders and it’d generally get harshly discouraged.

It’s also notable that yeah, with slight color changes or an icon slapped onto the name, it’s mostly about filtering out who’s tagged from who’s not in map/team/whatever. You could read the name next to the tag or see who’s got bubble up in your zerg or whoever.