Suggestion: Change Display Name

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Urska.7539

Urska.7539

Plz some day add this…. at least have it where we can do it once… i know alot of people would love this change…like a TON. i know a good amount of people would come back to Gw2 as well. i know i would rebuy the game if it would give me. its easier to quit the game then start over….

The Fix
allow 1 redo
or
allow us to buy it, give us a ID number so if we get blocked/muted, they stay blocked and if they get kicked from a guild, would give a warning saying they been kicked before. could put a cooldown on it, like a year

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

From Michael Henninger about problems with display name changes:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/page/4#post5498462

Hi everyone!

Long story short is that display names weren’t designed in a way that allows them to be changed without causing a potential (and significant) batch of problems on the account so we (support) only do them when we reeeeally need to.

From Gaile about this issue:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/page/4#post4336410

If your name is Fred Player, and your display name is Fred Player, we consider that a security risk, and we will help you change your Display Name.

If your name is Mary Gamer and you use M Gamer, that’s not nearly specific enough to be considered a security risk. Nor is using the first or last name, alone, like Knut, Pierre, or Bart or Jones, Lopez, or Schmidt.

We get quite a few Display Name change requests that we cannot support:

• I didn’t know it was going to be seen. It should be clear to everyone upon account creation that the Display Name is… displayed! If it is not clear, I’d really like suggestions on a better way to make it clear, because as I recall the interface makes it clear that one’s display name will be shown in the game. I’m open to seeing if we can make a change to the interface, but only if it’s truly required.
  • I want to prevent someone from seeing me. Players may desire a display name change for personal reasons. For instance, they once were friends with someone and now wish to stop interacting. Or they claim they are being “stalked” by another player. Changing for such personal reasons is not supported. More importantly: If we completely change your Display Name, people who once had you on their Friends or Blocked list still will be able to identify you. There is no way to “reset” an account and wipe its history. If someone knows the old Display Name they’ll simply see the new one. (I believe that the system is designed this way to prevent people from losing their contacts if they have to change their Display Name for a genuine security issue.)
  • Someone may figure out my personal information. Generally, the scenarios made for this request are not valid. But if you fear that your Display Name makes learning your e-mail address easy, and if you feel that knowing your e-mail address poses a risk to your account, we can help you change the Account Name (log-in e-mail address).
  • Why do you have this policy? We feel that one’s history should remain intact unless there is a substantial security risk. It’s not healthy for individuals to be able to swap Display Names because some who request it will be doing so to hide in order to avoid past, negative history. Imagine the issues caused by supporting random Display Name changes that allow scammers, cheaters, verbal abusers, etc., to start their misbehavior anew with the “clean slate” of a new, unknown Display Name.

I hope that this information helps you understand our policy and our practices in relation to Display Names.

And to save space I’ll not quote but an older post from Gaile on the issue.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/first#post2087181

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: rebellion.2473

rebellion.2473

This sounds more like a personal problem,rather than a big problem

Urska.7539

From Michael Henninger about problems with display name changes:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/page/4#post5498462

Hi everyone!

Long story short is that display names weren’t designed in a way that allows them to be changed without causing a potential (and significant) batch of problems on the account so we (support) only do them when we reeeeally need to.

From Gaile about this issue:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/page/4#post4336410

If your name is Fred Player, and your display name is Fred Player, we consider that a security risk, and we will help you change your Display Name.

If your name is Mary Gamer and you use M Gamer, that’s not nearly specific enough to be considered a security risk. Nor is using the first or last name, alone, like Knut, Pierre, or Bart or Jones, Lopez, or Schmidt.

We get quite a few Display Name change requests that we cannot support:

• I didn’t know it was going to be seen. It should be clear to everyone upon account creation that the Display Name is… displayed! If it is not clear, I’d really like suggestions on a better way to make it clear, because as I recall the interface makes it clear that one’s display name will be shown in the game. I’m open to seeing if we can make a change to the interface, but only if it’s truly required.
  • I want to prevent someone from seeing me. Players may desire a display name change for personal reasons. For instance, they once were friends with someone and now wish to stop interacting. Or they claim they are being “stalked” by another player. Changing for such personal reasons is not supported. More importantly: If we completely change your Display Name, people who once had you on their Friends or Blocked list still will be able to identify you. There is no way to “reset” an account and wipe its history. If someone knows the old Display Name they’ll simply see the new one. (I believe that the system is designed this way to prevent people from losing their contacts if they have to change their Display Name for a genuine security issue.)
  • Someone may figure out my personal information. Generally, the scenarios made for this request are not valid. But if you fear that your Display Name makes learning your e-mail address easy, and if you feel that knowing your e-mail address poses a risk to your account, we can help you change the Account Name (log-in e-mail address).
  • Why do you have this policy? We feel that one’s history should remain intact unless there is a substantial security risk. It’s not healthy for individuals to be able to swap Display Names because some who request it will be doing so to hide in order to avoid past, negative history. Imagine the issues caused by supporting random Display Name changes that allow scammers, cheaters, verbal abusers, etc., to start their misbehavior anew with the “clean slate” of a new, unknown Display Name.

I hope that this information helps you understand our policy and our practices in relation to Display Names.

[/quote]

i seen them do bigger changes…sooo they could if they wanted to lol

Urska.7539

This sounds more like a personal problem,rather than a big problem

well ya, by the nature of it. its a personal issue with a good amount of people then the whole player base. ppl been askin for this since gw2 came out lol

Urska.7539

as i said, the ID would KEEP the past with that person

(frist time posting here so, sorry for x2 posting n all… lol most have a muti post quote thing)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

i seen them do bigger changes…sooo they could if they wanted to lol

But why would they want to? It’s a one-time benefit to a minor portion of the population and yet it requires a ton of work that adds no other value to the game. There are many, many other things that ANet could work on that would benefit more people, more often, and cost less to discuss, design, test, implement, and maintain.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

as i said, the ID would KEEP the past with that person

(frist time posting here so, sorry for x2 posting n all… lol most have a muti post quote thing)

What ID? Your NAME.#### is your ID (aka Display name). If they change the name, it also changes the number, so unless someone sets a nickname in their friends list, they would have no idea who you were then. Thus, you could be a jerk, steal from a lot of guilds, ruin events on purpose, be a rude little troll, etc… then change your name and poof, new identity.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

You can’t even change the email in GW2 for some reason

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You can’t even change the email in GW2 for some reason

Email can be changed. But you have to contact support and have them do it for you.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.