Suggestion: Change Display Name

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I have to admit, there are times where the system doesn’t do what it should do, and it would be good to have the option.

Hello,

I wanted to follow up with you, specifically, because you did submit a ticket about this Display Name situation, and the CS Team very much wants to help you. They wrote you on July 11th. Could you please find their e-mail and respond? They’ll be happy to make a change for you.

Others who have a numeric Display Name like this one also should reach out to CS for help.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: MeanCoffeeBean.2073

MeanCoffeeBean.2073

I don’t care so much about the display name in terms of what it looks like, but it does seem like instead of using something that has little bearing on our characters we should be able to select a character name to use on the forums and in our contacts list. People don’t know us by our goofy display name. They know our characters. It makes sense to let us bind a character name to our forum and contacts.

I mean… they are already guaranteed to be unique anyway. Why not?

Fluttershy – Mesmer
Clarishy – Ranger
Tinkershy – Engineer

Posted by: CD673141-975B-42E9-8500-F0FEFF861A7D

CD673141-975B-42E9-8500-F0FEFF861A7D

Yeah… lets talk about display names. I had mine fixed via ticket before I quit the game shortly after launch. I’ve since come back and become addicted once more, but i’m not even bothering with my display name again because it reverted to my old key again (not my gw2 cdkey dont worry). My guildies have begun lovingly referring to me as “cdkey” or “serialguy”

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Yeah… lets talk about display names. I had mine fixed via ticket before I quit the game shortly after launch. I’ve since come back and become addicted once more, but i’m not even bothering with my display name again because it reverted to my old key again (not my gw2 cdkey dont worry). My guildies have begun lovingly referring to me as “cdkey” or “serialguy”

Sounds like you need to submit another ticket. That is unless the numerical display name has grown on you.

Others who have a numeric Display Name like this one also should reach out to CS for help.

The Burninator

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

It’s strange that it reverted, and I’m sorry for that inconvenience. The CS Team really would be happy to help you out, so if you ever get tired of being Mr./Ms. Random Letters and Numbers, do let them know.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

I don’t care so much about the display name in terms of what it looks like, but it does seem like instead of using something that has little bearing on our characters we should be able to select a character name to use on the forums and in our contacts list. People don’t know us by our goofy display name. They know our characters. It makes sense to let us bind a character name to our forum and contacts.

Do you know what? you can type your character name in your signature! (Amazing news, I know)

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Do you know what? you can type your character name in your signature! (Amazing news, I know)

I would love a “How To Make a Sig For Dummies” as I have never figured out how to make one here. Hopefully all my character names will fit … though at least my main RP guy is Donari Mal Di Bette (icly di Bette but must cap first letter) so people don’t have too many issues figuring out who I am.

JustTrogdor.7892

I would love a “How To Make a Sig For Dummies” as I have never figured out how to make one here.

Forum Profile link > Edit Profile

The Burninator

Donari.5237

I would love a “How To Make a Sig For Dummies” as I have never figured out how to make one here.

Forum Profile link > Edit Profile

How on earth I missed that button all these years …. thanks. I’ll work on a decent sig once I’m home.

Posted by: MeanCoffeeBean.2073

MeanCoffeeBean.2073

Do you know what? I did that years ago! Or was reading that far down too hard? Because… you know, it is right freaking there on my post.

Regardless, if we could select character names, that would not even be required. But you know… thinking skills.

Fluttershy – Mesmer
Clarishy – Ranger
Tinkershy – Engineer

Posted by: Sylum.1806

Sylum.1806

+1 to this thread.

I started playing GW2 after getting tired of all the grind and pay-to-win nonsense of Free-to-Start MMOs. The latter often didn’t allow spaces for character names and I chose an account name I didn’t really like not knowing GW2 supported having multiple words in the account name. I really would like to have the opportunity to change it, and am even willing to pay for it.

Hope ArenaNet can consider offering such a service.

Posted by: DeviantShark.6548

DeviantShark.6548

Oh but changing your name would result in anet being a serial-killer…. :O

Squirreltail? What’s that? [AUT] Oachkatzlschwoaf
We are constantly looking for Guildmembers which contribute to an awesome community

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Well, honestly either be proud of your display name or learn a lesson from it, don’t pick a stupid display name.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: infinityandbeyond.9652

infinityandbeyond.9652

This is a policy, explained in the links that JT provided, and in the quote that AP added to this thread.

This is not a matter to take to support, because unless you meet the very narrow requirements (read the threads for those details) your display name will not be changed. By creating tickets to ask for services not offered, or to protest policy, you slow service for others.

I will take the suggestion to offer display name changes to the team, but at this time and for the foreseeable future, that is not a service that will be offered. If it is offered, we will make you aware of it.

Thanks for understanding.

Hi Gaile,

I see this as a business opportunity for the company. I hear you that it takes some time to do so you could charge for the service to match the labour cost + margin. I know people who would happily pay $35 to have this done. $ 25 an hour to pay your customer service rep, I see a profit there

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This is a policy, explained in the links that JT provided, and in the quote that AP added to this thread.

This is not a matter to take to support, because unless you meet the very narrow requirements (read the threads for those details) your display name will not be changed. By creating tickets to ask for services not offered, or to protest policy, you slow service for others.

I will take the suggestion to offer display name changes to the team, but at this time and for the foreseeable future, that is not a service that will be offered. If it is offered, we will make you aware of it.

Hi Gaile,

I see this as a business opportunity for the company. I hear you that it takes some time to do so you could charge for the service to match the labour cost + margin. I know people who would happily pay $35 to have this done. $ 25 an hour to pay your customer service rep, I see a profit there

And when will players learn that it’s not all about profits. What you are suggesting is essentially a bribe to ANet to allow those with spare cash to escape any bad rep their previous name acquired. I’m all for ANet sticking to their guns on this subject.

For those who are unhappy with a name that they chose themselves (or are now stuck with an anagram of their name) … you chose poorly.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: infinityandbeyond.9652

infinityandbeyond.9652

Hi Gaile,

And when will players learn that it’s not all about profits. What you are suggesting is essentially a bribe to ANet to allow those with spare cash to escape any bad rep their previous name acquired. I’m all for ANet sticking to their guns on this subject.

For those who are unhappy with a name that they chose themselves (or are now stuck with an anagram of their name) … you chose poorly.

Oh c’mon Behellagh, that’s overly dramatic and a bit existential re: profits.

Having managed call centres myself in the Telecommunications industry with years of experience working with multiple complex software programs to manage customer data bases, this could’t be that hard surely…..all the while keeping the bread crumb trail obvious, so players cant avoid any previous shenanigans.

Some business will shy away from these situations rather than see them as opportunities.

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

Behellagh.1468

I’ve seen this tack used several times as “suggestions” here.

“Hey ANet, allow us to do this thing that goes against your philosophy because you can make money.” And that’s usually done as a push back because someone got upset that some sweet skin appears in the gem shop or they don’t like the reasons behind the cycle of item removal and return or even the price of the expansion. So the push back to “ANet isn’t a charity but a business” with “ANet, yet us do this game breaking thing, there’s money.”

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: DragonSlalyer.5786

DragonSlalyer.5786

(+1) I am also willing to buy that change. And even I will never buy the expansion before changing mine. Just see my name.

DragonSlalyer.5786

Is that shy for Anet? Many people want to get this service and Anet can just offer their service to satisfy some customers. How can the idea that it is shy is from a normal head? I can’t understand. Can be just easy for that? Is it really more serious than any other dangerous things like hacking, spamming, or any violations? A very simple thing but never allow… Even my name is not really my name… that I bought, though…

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Is that shy for Anet? Many people want to get this service and Anet can just offer their service to satisfy some customers. How can the idea that it is shy is from a normal head? I can’t understand. Can be just easy for that? Is it really more serious than any other dangerous things like hacking, spamming, or any violations? A very simple thing but never allow… Even my name is not really my name… that I bought, though

If you are saying what i think you are saying, you do know buying an account is against the rules right?

DragonSlalyer.5786

Getting an account is not only from the official homepage. There are several ways to get it, but people, who didn’t get it officially, didn’t get a chance of changing their display name(=their identity), despite they can be still one of GW2 communities. I think it is unfair…

JustTrogdor.7892

Getting an account is not only from the official homepage. There are several ways to get it, but people, who didn’t get it officially, didn’t get a chance of changing their display name(=their identity), despite they can be still one of GW2 communities. I think it is unfair…

If you obtained an account from a source where that account was previously registered to someone else, and thus the display name was already chosen, then you are indeed violating the rules. In the event of rule violations such as that there is nothing unfair about not being able to change the name. In fact if caught, they are in jeopardy of having the account banned for violating ToS. If this situation applies to you, it is not very wise to broadcast that fact on the official forums.

The Burninator

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

There is a really obvious way to get a new account name. Prolly won’t be a 10$ sale on it soon but maybe if you wait long enough.

JustTrogdor.7892

Nothing suspicious. I just bought this account from my friend. That’s all.

Which is against the User Agreement, and even worse you are announcing your violation in a thread that is obviously being read by Gaile.

The Burninator

JustTrogdor.7892

Thank you for the advice. But I want to show this to people including even Gaile, and I believe many people, who are like me, may want someone say this. Also, I guess it is not hurting the community directly and actually nothing very special. But there is just uncomfortable feeling as a customer. (Anyway I purchased most of gem through my card.)

Sorry, but the “I want to change my display name because I purchased the game through a means that is against ToS,” argument probably isn’t going the convince Anet to allow display name changes. A display name change may be the least of your concerns at this point. Hopefully the account you are using doesn’t get shut down for violating the User Agreement.

The Burninator

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Nothing suspicious. I just bought this account from my friend. That’s all.

Now that you have admitted publicly that you have broken the ToS/UA, it would seem ArenaNet has no choice but to terminate your account. Otherwise, it would send a clear message that breaking the ToS has no consequences.

It’s a pity you didn’t just accept the Dev response about name changes, and walk away.

Good luck.

Posted by: Xdmatt.3958

Xdmatt.3958

Someone’s head’s gonna roll for the TOS violation…

Though an option to change the display name would be nice.

How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

A new serial-user has appeared in the spanish forum, please help him :P

Link: https://forum-es.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Problema-con-el-Display-Name/first#post111382

I wonder why this happens.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Seventh Child.5823

Seventh Child.5823

Oh dear, DragonSlalyer before your account gets banned I’d suggest you mail all your money and non account- or soul-bound stuff to someone else. They can hold it for you until you buy a new account. It’ll be an inconvenience but I’d be willing to help you out in this.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Has anyone here taken a look at their accounts settings recently. There is an option there to change your real name. lol

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Has anyone here taken a look at their accounts settings recently. There is an option there to change your real name. lol

What does this have to do with changing display name?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

So, Gaile is quoted as saying you can change your display name if it’s your real name. Does that include a display name like mine, with my first initial and my last name?

I had tried getting it changed with a support ticket, but was simply told that I could not change my display name, and when I asked support if my usage of my last name and first initial didn’t count as using a real name I wasn’t given an answer (they just repeated that display name changes are not allowed).

I’d really rather not be using my last name as part of my display name, and I would think that qualifies for the exception Gaile mentioned…

Just a flesh wound.3589

So, Gaile is quoted as saying you can change your display name if it’s your real name. Does that include a display name like mine, with my first initial and my last name?

I had tried getting it changed with a support ticket, but was simply told that I could not change my display name, and when I asked support if my usage of my last name and first initial didn’t count as using a real name I wasn’t given an answer (they just repeated that display name changes are not allowed).

I’d really rather not be using my last name as part of my display name, and I would think that qualifies for the exception Gaile mentioned…

I can see your complaint but apparently you need to be findable by your display name for them to change it. Unless people are able to google glehmann and locate you, it doesn’t fall under their real name rule.

ANet may give it to you.

Donari.5237

If it soothes your fears, I did a google for G Lehmann and found nothing with a first name starting with G.

Not that I’m the most uber googler on the planet by any means.

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

If there’s anything I’ve learned working with financial software development, it’s that surprisingly small amounts of data can be used to identify a person.

Anyway, I’m not terribly concerned, and if there’s nothing I can do I will live with it, but not using my last name and first initial in my display name is a precaution I would prefer to take.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If there’s anything I’ve learned working with financial software development, it’s that surprisingly small amounts of data can be used to identify a person.

Anyway, I’m not terribly concerned, and if there’s nothing I can do I will live with it, but not using my last name and first initial in my display name is a precaution I would prefer to take.

If you can find yourself with just that information then you’ll have a good case. You can present that information to Support to prove it’s sufficient for a display name change.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would have never known, or guessed, it was your real name…..until you stated it publicly.

Never understand why people do that, but hopefully you can get it changed now.

Julie Yann.5379

I just think it funny that with Anets stance on display name change that they would allow an option to change your REAL name.

JustTrogdor.7892

I just think it funny that with Anets stance on display name change that they would allow an option to change your REAL name.

Why? The owner’s real name tied to the account has nothing to do with in game accountability.

Let me refresh you:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/first#post2087181

There are very good reasons why we do not offer the changes as a service at this time. It’s important in any game — and especially in an MMO with the high number and visibility of player interactions — to create a “personal history” for an account. I don’t mean your in-game “personal story” but a history of your account as viewed in the game.

If we allow changes of display names, a person who has been harassing another player will be hidden from that victim’s sight. A person who has built up a reputation for cheating, or botting, or doing other breaches of the UA, becomes invisible to those players who were aware of the issue and were awaiting action on the matter. Several other factors of “individual accountability” can be negated by simply hiding behind a new display name.

The player’s real name in the My Account interface has nothing at all to do with that. Players are not identified in game by Anet or other players by their real names used to register the account. If you noticed, one can also change the phone number and birthday. This also has nothing to do with in game accountability.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Julie Yann.5379

The player’s real name in the My Account interface has nothing at all to do with that. Players are not identified in game by Anet or other players by their real names used to register the account. If you noticed, one can also change the phone number and birthday. This also has nothing to do with in game accountability.

True, it is irrevelvant to identifying players in game but unless someone legally changed their name then the only reason someone would change their real name in the settings (and Bday for that matter) would be because they acquired an account from someone else (traded, bought, or stolen) which is also against the UA.

As for the in game accountability, all they have to do is separate the display name from the account. If you blocked some kitten, he would still remain blocked regardless of what name is displayed. Also, unless you are in PvP you very rarely encounter the same people over and over again, and people will very rarely will remember the name of a particular kitten longer than a single play session. That;s why they have a “block” feature.

I think the issue is that a display name change feature is something that isn’t easy to implement within the current framework and that Anet doesn’t want to put any resources towards it cause it isn’t something that will generate any revenue.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

DragonSlalyer.5786

Question; Is there any chance to change it if I buy the expansion? like purchasing separately(not directly buying from Blacklion Company in this account.)

JustTrogdor.7892

Question; Is there any chance to change it if I buy the expansion? like purchasing separately(not directly buying from Blacklion Company in this account.)

No, if you buy the expansion and use it to upgrade your current account you will have the same display name no matter where you buy it. If you buy the expansion and use the serial code to create a new account then you will get to pick a new display name. However, it will be a brand new account starting off from scratch.

The Burninator

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you buy the expansion and make a new account instead of applying it to your old account, then it will be separate and you will then make a new display name, email and password. You will need to buy it from the forum site because if you logon to the game and buy it from the gem store it will automatically upgrade that account.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: CessCJ.4059

CessCJ.4059

I vote for account name changes to be available… even if it costs gems to do so. I thought signing up for gw2, that it would be like gw1.. no one would see my account name, just my character names and find me that way. If I had known, I would have used something generic like MusicLover or something.

Quaggan forever.

(edited by CessCJ.4059)

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Just one question, looking at you with the odd/ridiculous display names that beg for a change. Why did you input that name to begin with?

Säïnt

Donari.5237

Just one question, looking at you with the odd/ridiculous display names that beg for a change. Why did you input that name to begin with?

I think the answers in this thread to that have been that they didn’t realize it would be publicly visible and they just wanted to put something in quickly so they could continue with their registration.

Donari.5237

We should name the forum bug something silly it wants to change so it won’t show its face.

ForBu.1111 maybe?

Behellagh.1468

I think the answers in this thread to that have been that they didn’t realize it would be publicly visible and they just wanted to put something in quickly so they could continue with their registration.

Right. Because “Display Name” sounds like something that’s private.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

On creation of my account/s I was NOT told in any way, shape or form that it would be displayed pretty much publicly for everyone to see. Such was the same for many others. This has been covered in the thread if you actually read it.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

On creation of my account/s I was NOT told in any way, shape or form that it would be displayed pretty much publicly for everyone to see. Such was the same for many others. This has been covered in the thread if you actually read it.

This is funny, because i have seen that info, and i have made my account before the launch.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November