Suggestion: Change class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

So, kinda unearthing that topic instead of bumping the old one,

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Change-class/first#post5777431

I have a Charr Warrior and simply for a Roleplay purpose, I would have been thrilled if there were an option for her to change class to a Revenant.

Basically I can have the same effect by deleting the char, making a new identical one and turning the new char 80 all with the new class but well, it’s not worth that much trouble to me, also Berserker is pretty fun.

This kinda reminded me at the time, way back when WoW introduced the Death knight and said you need a char at level 60 or so to get one, when I first heard that I really thought it means you “change” an existing char into that new class but nope.

So basically what i mean to say, class change makes sense to me when it actually happens in the story, the first Revenant was a Warrior after all.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

While in lore you are correct outside you’ll have to manage how this works. Let’s say you’re a thief and you want to change into a Mesmer because in your personal lore you stole a relic and were caught but instead of being punished were initiated by the clan of deceivers.

That’s medium armor to light. Is it permanent? Is it dual class? What of previous skills and knowledge?

(edited by DGraves.3720)

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

While in lore you are correct outside you’ll have to manage how this works. Let’s say you’re a thief and you want to change into a Mesmer because in your personal lore you stole a relic and were caught but instead of being punished were initiated by the clan of deceivers.

That’s medium armor to light. Is it permanent? Is it dual class? What of previous skills and knowledge?

If you can change class once, why not twice? thus the skills and knowledge wouldn’t be lost. they just wouldn’t function simultaneously.

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

If you can change class once, why not twice? thus the skills and knowledge wouldn’t be lost. they just wouldn’t function simultaneously.

That doesn’t deal with the armor class problem and then you have the question of “when” you can change the classes. Basically it can’t be like legendary equipment where you just have a drop down list and choose what you need. Because that’s the new norm if legendary armor shows up; one armor, set of weapons, all win. You have no reason to ever change either and can hotswap on the fly.

So is it only possible in a home instance? I mean this would be a massive killer in WvWvW if it could change in the live world so …

It’s not that simple. It’s not like stats. This isn’t FF13.

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

One personal story line like: finding your true self. Ending with something similar to the fight against your mirror imagine in GW1,
at the end you can choose to “transcend” into another class or not.
That could be done once per character and would be a permanent change. If you are unable to use your weapons and armor after the change, that is your Problem alone.

Posted by: Torzini.1523

Torzini.1523

No to any kind of class changing feature. On top of the massive amount of work it would take for ANet to implement, it’s really easy right now to make a new character and get it to 80 with Tomes of Knowledge.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

No to any kind of class changing feature. On top of the massive amount of work it would take for ANet to implement, it’s really easy right now to make a new character and get it to 80 with Tomes of Knowledge.

This. It’s way too easy to get a new character to the level cap right now.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

What you want to do is create a new character, give it a light modification of the same name, and have it be the new class you want. I’ve done this with my main, who’s a Warrior/Guardian/Mesmer/Revenant, and my secondary character, who’s a Ranger/Warrior/Engineer.