[Suggestion] Character Race Warning

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

I suggest to have a warning somewhere on the page where you select your characters race that says in all capital letters “YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR CHARACTERS RACE AFTER YOU FINISH CHARACTER CREATION” or maybe something a little shorter. I make this suggestion because I keep seeing about 1 thread a week about changing their characters race through gems or some other item.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t think that would achieve anything.

From what I’ve seen the people asking for race change aren’t asking because they made a character without thinking about the race, assuming it didn’t matter because they could change it whenever they wanted.

They knew they’d be stuck with their choice, but at the time thought they were making the right one and it’s only later on they found they wanted to change it and deleting the character to start over from scratch felt like too much of a loss.

Edit: I also think it’s an understandable request given that lots of other games offer it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

From what I’ve seen the people asking for race change aren’t asking because they made a character without thinking about the race, assuming it didn’t matter because they could change it whenever they wanted.

They knew they’d be stuck with their choice, but at the time thought they were making the right one and it’s only later on they found they wanted to change it and deleting the character to start over from scratch felt like too much of a loss.

Edit: I also think it’s an understandable request given that lots of other games offer it.

A lot of games also offer mounts but people don’t want them. I was thinking though it might give some warning that Gw2 isn’t most games and maybe they actually want to think about it or play the character a bit to see if that is the race they want to stick with instead of like 2 years later just wanting to change for the hell of it.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I think if the players have played RPG games before, they’d know that it’s rare to be able to change their race and not to expect it. Those that do, such as WoW, charge an excessive amount.

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

How can a race change be reasonable in any kind of way?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I agree (except for the edit-no offense).

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

If they want to play a different race so badly they could use a new slot, if they don’t have a slot available buy a new one or delete the character whose race they want to change. If that character has any ascended gear it can be put in the bank and given to the new one.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Warning or no, it would make little difference to the people that would lament about being able to change the race.

Just like the warnings we already have in-game, such as upgrading equipment makes it soul-bound, or deleting a character is permanent (or used to be, anyway), etc.