[Suggestion] Character-based titles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

As you know, all titles are account-wide.

But there’s certain tasks that can only be performed by certain characters, and so they should only be available to those characters who did them.

Why not making them an actual thing, and having them in-game so player can set them as their titles? For example, they could appear in the list of titles with a different color to indicate they are character based, like Exotic Orange instead Basic White.

Here’s a list of missing titles that are probably not included because they should be character-based and titles are currently only account-wide.

• Human :
    • Hero of Shaemoor. Defeated the Earth Elemental and saved Shaemoor.
    • Advocate of the Queen. Earned the Trust of the Queen.
  • Norn:
    • Slayer of Issormir. Defeated the ice wurm Issormir.
    • Promising. Proved that you are worthy of your own legend.
  • Asura:
    • Savant. Won the Snaff Price.
    • Genius. Proved superior intellect.
  • Charr:
    • Legionnaire. Formed and became the leader of a new warband.
    • Centurion. Earned the trust of your Tribune.
  • Sylvari:
    • Wyld Hunt Valiant. You were born with a mission.
    • Herald of the Pale Tree. You were chosen as liaison with the orders by the Pale tree herself.

• Whispers:
    • Initiate :
    • Agent :
    • Lightbringer
  • Priory
    • Novice
    • Explorer
    • Magister
  • Vigil
    • Recruit
    • Crusader
    • Warmaster

• Pact
    • Commander of the Pact : Helped Trehearne form the pact.
    • Champion of Orr : Helped cleanse the Source of Orr.
    • Dragon Slayer : Defeated Zhaitan with mighty 1-button mashing.

• Season 1/2
    • The Boss : Befriended an brought together the ‘new blood adventurers’ and somehow became their de facto leader.
    • Hero of Lion’s Arch : Defeated Scarlet (it would become character-based if Season 1 were to become replayable).

For rank titles, each title could be lost when you get the next, as they are ranks and they are not something one can have at the same time. For example, becoming a Centurion means losing Legionnaire, becoming an Agent means losing Initiate.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Personally I would like to see something that makes my character not perma logged in to this account cloud and stand more on their own as a character. Especially regarding achievements and titles and such and now HoT progression.

But sadly imo, the game seems to move in the opposite direction.
Maybe titles are low bar enough. Also redoing certain tougher achievements on a different character seems nice to me for personal reasons.

Noted that it’s not a huge loss, but for me the replayability of certain things is just something that is fun to me.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Titles are far too easy to get as they are, putting them onto Personal Story is a bit ridiculous. Titles should reward effort, not be handed out for something extremely simple. I do have an issue with the already easy to get titles, but hey there’s plenty others that require effort.
My next issue would be since the whole achievement system is account bound it’s going to be a huge amount of time to program it to be character bound.
In essence, bad idea.

Kitten.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Titles are far too easy to get as they are, putting them onto Personal Story is a bit ridiculous. Titles should reward effort, not be handed out for something extremely simple. I do have an issue with the already easy to get titles, but hey there’s plenty others that require effort.
My next issue would be since the whole achievement system is account bound it’s going to be a huge amount of time to program it to be character bound.
In essence, bad idea.

I think that broadly speaking there are two different groups of people who are interested in titles and they view them in very different ways.

Obviously a lot of players view titles as a way to show one of your achievements to other players, and therefore something that should be challenging to earn. But there are others (the OP seems to be one of these, from the post), who treat titles primarily as ‘flavour text’ to describe your character. The kind of person who is likely to use a title like ‘Loyal’ or ‘Traveler’ because it suits the type of person they see their character to be. For that second group titles based on the characters actions in the living story make a lot of sense.

I don’t know that I agree with titles for each stage of the personal story, but I would like to see Saviour of Orr become a title for completing the story. That at least takes a lot of time (which is all some other titles require) and it’s frustrating that you’re specifically told by the ghost of the last king that he’s awarding you that title, then you can’t actually use it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I think it’s a nice idea.

I wanted a “Slayer of Issormir” title so much when I first started playing, but sadly, it never happened. There’s a “Slayer” title, but it’s a bit generic, really.

I have to admit I don’t understand why it matters how easy or difficult a title is to get. It’s just cosmetic, anyway.

I’m all about my characters standing on their own, though, and doing their own achievements, etc.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

I really like this idea. I have always thought it weird that we can’t get really specific titles for our individual toons. I am one of those players who uses them as flavor text for my character (except for ones that I’m personally proud of). One of my favorite things in SWTOR was unlocking titles while progressing through the class stories/side content. It was fun to mark my characters’ progress, or deliberately keep them with a low level title for characterization reasons. It was superficial, but it gave them that little bit of added dimension.

Also, I don’t think that they should be limited by some arbitrary sense of “titles are special”. The existence of letters under your name is not what matters, but what those letters say. You can still be proud of your hard fought title while allowing someone to have something more common, but important to who their character is.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

In essence, bad idea.

There’s titles more ridiculous than personal story ones that actually have meaning for your character.

Plus, yes it would require a rework, but to name that as a reason to not have nice things is a bit ridiculous. They have changed lesser things for worse reasons (relatively speaking)

Also adding extra replay value is not a bad idea at all. If anything it would increase the longevity of the game.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

• Charr:
    * Legionnaire. Formed and became the leather of a new warband.

I dunno when players were skinned for crafting material for a new warband… :P

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

In essence, bad idea.

Personal titles would be less ‘rewards’ to show off effort, and more ‘tools for roleplaying’, showing the story progress your character has gone through. It’ll be like a tiny bit of biography you put under your name.

As for the effort it’ll take, that’s for the developers to decide, not us players.

We just fire away ideas, and they’ll see if they can do them, so don’t worry about that.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!