[Suggestion] Collision Turned on

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

A good suggestion is to turn Collision on for everywhere expect for towns. This way more tactics can be used in WvW and stacking would become impossible. This would lead to more dynamic gameplay as people would have to figure out different ways to play. Also in WvW you could have heavies protecting the squishies rather than armies just going through each other like they are ghosts.

As a test for this Anet should make a collision dungeon. A dungeon in which collision is turned on to see how people react to it. If the reaction is good they can turn on Collision in different areas and see how people react to it.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Collision/Body Blocing is problematic.
There’s a reason they didn’t include it, when you have classes like Necromancers (who can summon a lot of minions) or gameplay where a LOT of players are in a concentrated area at once it gets super problematic.

In GW1 it was a pretty common tactic for Ritualists to summon spirits in strategic places to completely block people from getting through areas, it wouldn’t be difficult to do that in GW2 with strategically places Engineer Turrets, or a couple of Guardians/Warriors. Forced collision only works in games where the population is highly spread out and there isn’t a lot of open world content.

Testing it in dungeons wouldn’t help – it’s the one area of the game where it WOULD work without a hitch. The second you try and introduce it into the open world or WvW you end up with problems. (PvP has small enough team counts for it to not really make a huge difference).

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Imagine at the zerg at Teq with collision turn on.
Random guy: stack on commander please!
everyone comes as close to commander as possible
Commander: wave dodge
Everyone: OMFG MOVE PEOPLE MOVE
Everyone else: OOMG SOMEONE MOVE I CAN’T MOVE
everyone dies….

Epic-ness!

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

everyone dies….

Epic-ness!

I laughed at that. Thank you.

To the OP’s suggestion. I think its a good idea but… yeah… it would be far too easy to troll people if this collision mechanic were turned on.

However I do agree with the OP that blob vs blob isn’t fun or realistic. I almost wish they’d take the 5 man cap off of AoE damage. That way if a zerg wants to group up like that they at least have to be cautious about it. Spreading people out along the battlefield would be a good thing in my book.

EDIT: Was just imagining what popular jumping puzzles would be like with collision turned on. I LOLed so bad.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

(edited by Azhure.1857)

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

With collisions turned on, 1 player could block any jumping puzzle of the game.

I don’t support that, however i do support all the enemies collisions enabled. Because you always have a way to push/kill/move it away, and it would work fine since zergs could still hit the same enemy but it would be trickier.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

The servers would explode..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I’d like to see collision be turned on for enemies, in dungeons, and in PvP.

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

There’s a reason they didn’t include it, when you have classes like Necromancers (who can summon a lot of minions) or gameplay where a LOT of players are in a concentrated area at once it gets super problematic.

This is a feature, not an issue. Having a ton of people crammed into a small place SHOULD cause issues for all involved.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

“Heavy’s protecting the squishies” GASP but that will imply… dare I say it.. a role of TANKING.

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

Please no. This was the worst thing in gw1, and that was with a maximum of one party on a map.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I really like what u’re suggesting OP! Having collission would make my character feel more physical and real! Jumping over each other should be possible (but not standing ontop of each other) to avoid blockage. U’r caharcter should not be able to block off fired attacks though.

+1 From me!!

Kima & Co

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The servers would explode..

This would have very little affect actually, you see body collison on some of the cheapest MMOs on the market. In reality the servers already tracks the position of ever player, in real time, in relation to that of every other ally and enemy. It’s required for any game playing live over the internet. All this would do would add in a new query, check if player hit box X and player hit box Y would intersect at any coordinate, if so they instead collide, and the collision scripts already exist for terrain objects so they would just have to rework them to player character objects.

Honestly, I not only think player collison is a good idea, but WvW is never going to have any strategic value without it.

When I made this suggestion:
Create a system with partial collision with allies, full collision with enemies; no collision inside cities. Full collision would work as you imagine, no two hitboxes can intersect each other, requiring players to control and use their positioning. Partial collision would prevent the use of any ability so long as hitboxes intersect, requiring allies to control their positioning as a group, and preventing stack and spam.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

It’s a good concept, but I bet there would be no means of implementing this without overhauling the entire game.

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

Suddenflame.2601

With collisions turned on, 1 player could block any jumping puzzle of the game.

I don’t support that, however i do support all the enemies collisions enabled. Because you always have a way to push/kill/move it away, and it would work fine since zergs could still hit the same enemy but it would be trickier.

Selected Collision areas such as JPs. Basically once you enter a JP area collision gets turned off. Minions should have no collision just players and mobs. Also, the commander should not be yelling for a stack on him since collision turned on wouldn’t allow stacking in the first place.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

“Heavy’s protecting the squishies” GASP but that will imply… dare I say it.. a role of TANKING.

More like a role of supporting. Much like real medival war the knights protected the archers by being a physical killing barrier.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

everyone dies….

Epic-ness!

I came here for this.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Suddenflame.2601

In GW1 it was a pretty common tactic for Ritualists to summon spirits in strategic places to completely block people from getting through areas, it wouldn’t be difficult to do that in GW2 with strategically places Engineer Turrets, or a couple of Guardians/Warriors. Forced collision only works in games where the population is highly spread out and there isn’t a lot of open world content.

Testing it in dungeons wouldn’t help – it’s the one area of the game where it WOULD work without a hitch. The second you try and introduce it into the open world or WvW you end up with problems. (PvP has small enough team counts for it to not really make a huge difference).

If it would work in Dungeons they should include it in dungeons to prevent Stack here to win situations. Open world they could add a new world boss area as a test for one of the LS. If it goes bad it gets changed or deleted like other LS. If it gets good they can further test it.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

everyone dies….

Epic-ness!

Mind you this would be funny

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

Mmm dodging would allow you go through allies (shouldn’t go through enemies but that could be debated) but if you land at the end of roll on someone you get moved to the next free space.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Sartharina.3542

I dunno – seeing Synchronized Dodge Rolls would be awesome to see executed flawlessly, and hilarious to see fumble, and Fighters could always pop Shield Block (With their own size protecting anyone behind them from the cleave), while Guardians could do their Guardian thingies (They seem to have lots of these) to protect anyone in the block (And Rangers can breakdance in place to avoid attacks).

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

Hahahaha it should be a Necro Spell: “Collision’s Curse”

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

I don’t know, mate, I like the way collision is at the moment. WvW and world boss zergs definitely don’t need collision while it might be considered for dungeons but I still believe it’d be frustrating rather than fun.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Sartharina.3542

WvW definitely needs collision – it might encourage the Zerg to break up into mini-zergs instead.

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Mmm dodging would allow you go through allies (shouldn’t go through enemies but that could be debated) but if you land at the end of roll on someone you get moved to the next free space.

Yeah we know how well GW2 handles that, the “next free space”. You dodge then 1 second later you’re in mid-air again. Amazing to feel.

I really don’t know if you realize how much of an issue your suggestion would be. First, there can’t be anything of that sort in a JP. Even during exploration that can be annoying. Then necro’s pets and all those sort of things would cause one hell of an issue if it was implemented. Tequila and T&T become impossible and chaotic, world bosses as a whole become jut annoying to deal with.

You’re in a game, one of the very few games that has a lot of open world content. Now you tell me where is the fun part when you basically get blocked by everything. This is just a pain to deal with you’re adding, because no, that WON’T help fix issues. You don’t fix issues by making world bosses randomly annoying (Jormag, looking at you), or by making some COMPLETELY impossible, or by making the whole world annoying. WB too easy peasy, then fix those blank spots, problem solved. Dungeons too buggy, then fix those kittened bugs.

And heck, even in WvW that would just annoy people. I don’t know if you realize how limited of a design this kind of thing is, but it’s kind of like “if you have no boots / broken boots, you should run at 10% speed because little rocks will hurt your feet and that way if you make a zerg wipe 5 times they will all be slow (maybe) !” or “there should be a maximum weight and lenght your bag can carry, I mean we’re in a RPG and we all know RPGs are realistic so how comes I can put this spear in my bag, I want it more realistic” , or even as if rangers had a weapon that annoyingly removes your liberty of moving during 2 of it’s 3 autoattack chain and even during it’s 2 other skills making it frustrating for a lot of people but the few chosen ones that can handle playing with that.
See, all of that is frustrating, annoying design. Just like blocking is. Sure, it’s more realistic, and we’re all great fans of that especially in fantasy/steampunk world. Best regards gentlemen, I’m off to play Eurotruck simulator since I really like videogames to be just like real life (well I can’t drive truck anyways.). ~

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Rynn.1324

It’s funny how games that do have collision somehow magically don’t have any of the problems people are throwing out in this thread.

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

What is so wrong with stacking? The entire game is based on combo fields and skills that affect your allies so you need to be close or you’ll be ignoring a crucial aspect of the game’s combat system. Stacking is no different than standing in a circle holding hands.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

It’s funny how games that do have collision somehow magically don’t have any of the problems people are throwing out in this thread.

Which games are you talking about? Are any of them MMOs? Even if they used the simplest collision detection possible which would be a single, invisible, cube scaled-to-size around your character… Multiply that by thousands of players and you will begin to have significant data for the servers to process. Anet already has enough trouble calculating the number of targets an AoE hits (that’s why they capped it at 5).

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

TERA has this, and I hated it in that game.

Thing is, though, there is nothing in TERA that actually warrants people to stack up. There’s no world bosses that require 100-150 people to do them. There’s no mass PvP that allows 60-100 or so on each side. The max they have is 20 v 20, unless something’s changed recently, so they don’t have to worry about that many people in the same map.

WvW wasn’t designed with collision in mind; it would have to be completely rehauled, or there would be a lot of people griefing by blocking doorways and choke points. We already get enough griefers as it is with siege.

And don’t get me started on PvE. If this was implemented there it would be a clusterkitten of epic proportions, especially with the megaserver change. Would work okay in dungeons, as it does in TERA, but that and sPvP are the only places this would actually be at all feasible. It just doesn’t work with the way the game was designed.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Yeah I do agree. In fact I suggested this like 1,5 year ago, it’s more freedom and allows for more freedom (new tactics). Especially if you can also sit and have the collision then also be lower. There are however some problems like people being able to block an entrance to something so it would not work well in city’s. For the rest it should not be a problem. Sure it’s an extra troll option but simply add it to the report list. If people troll all the time they can get a temporary ban or whatever.

Another cool option but a problem in GW2 is that you can stand on top of each other. It would make for way more interesting WvW game-play as a small group would be able to climb up a wall. More tactics!

However GW2 has invisible walls all over the place and they do not want you to get over that.

I know AA has collision detection but it’s a big open world and everybody has a hover mount so things like blocking or getting to a place you are not supposed to get to is not an issue there.

Still I do think it would be a good idea to have collision detection but Anet does not seem to like the freedom it gives. Most systems in GW2 are extremely controlled not giving the players a lot of freedom to be inventive and when they do, it usually get patched out. (like using consumables in WvW)

About the enemy collision detection. One of the thinks that are so frustrating in this game is the way you are most likely to die because of ’ bad design’ feeling you are being cheated all the time, like jumping on a wall that has no collision detection or mobs that keep re-spawning before you cleared the group (they should try to prevent mobs from spawning near you or in you LoS as much as possible) or mobs that suddenly run back to there spawn-place in the middle of a fight and another one (coming to the point) has to do with pushing. A mob can push me of the edge of a cliff killing me and that’s fine however I should also be able to do the same to him but I can’t. So if that then also would be possible that would be nice.

About collision detection being hard for the servers. It’s mainly done client-side.

Rynn.1324

Which games are you talking about? Are any of them MMOs? Even if they used the simplest collision detection possible which would be a single, invisible, cube scaled-to-size around your character… Multiply that by thousands of players and you will begin to have significant data for the servers to process. Anet already has enough trouble calculating the number of targets an AoE hits (that’s why they capped it at 5).

Warhammer had it. City of Heroes had it. FFXIV 1.0 had it. FFXI has it. Tera has it. Probably others that I’m not familiar with. Not to mention countless non-MMO online games.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

There are arguments for having it and not having it (even in specific game modes), but I think the Devs took most of this into consideration when they decided for it NOT to be a thing. Now the suggestion of enemies blocking has some tactical merit and there is obviously merit to positional blocking in PvP. But again, I think all this was taken into consideration and the Devs decided “no” to collision.

Saying GW2 should because other games do is not a reason…just a verification that those games are not this one.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Yeah i can totally see how collision could work :/

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Collision detection turned on for allies.. not so much.

Collision detection turned on for enemies.. maybe, it’s possibly worth a shot

Suddenflame.2601

Based on the recent comments most people didnt read my other posts about no collision on minions lol.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: irk.2047

irk.2047

collisions would change this game for the better imo. It would force creating surface area in WvW blobs to surround their enemies instead of running through them.

Using bodies to block people would actually give reason make formations to utilize combo fields instead of dropping them all on top of the blob. Think about it -goes off wishfully- dropping fire combo fields for ranged weapons that are behind door blocking, hundred blading warriors. Elementalists to assist in water blasts and AoE on the funneling enemy. -comes back to reality- …. it would be like real life…

(edited by irk.2047)