[Suggestion] Commander Marker Tag

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daggos Skelito.2910

Daggos Skelito.2910

It’s no secret alot of us bought tags when they were cheap, but we are not true commanders. Many times players are running around with no commander and someone just tags up as a place marker.

Why not add something to a tag that reflects this? A true commander can get to group and tag up. Place marker can then just tag down. Just a thought.

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

And what defines a commander in your book?

I’ve seen people successfully “command” with the mentorship “welfare” tag. Not sure where you’re coming from.

I think the best thing I’ve ever done is lead a SW chest farm, then convinced the whole zerg to run whatever tag they had. So everyone was running an apple/tag and it continued on just fine… whats to say no tag can’t be just as effective?

/m join party for DS mid/north/south lane — need x people

once they get there, people taxi others in anyways.

(edited by Sheobix.8796)

Daggos Skelito.2910

I was thinking more WvW. A commander who can lead a group instead one tagging up and hopes the group knows where they are going. But its still good someone tags as a place marker until someone with more knowledge takes over.

Knowing that someone is a place marker just might be a good thing.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think you are saying that you want to make it easy for people to self-select a different marker for when they are helping to focus attention on a spot, rather than actively leading. I like the concept; I doubt, alas, that it would work in practice.

Any tag (no matter how cheap or expensive) will get used by people just for show. There just doesn’t seem to be any reliable way to restrict folks to using Doritos or iApples as the game intends or the community would hope. Thus I think the issue is more of a social dilemma rather than a technical one — in a similar situation, I would repeat in /map “placeholder tag up until the real commander gets here — pls help defend ____” (or whatever the circumstances warranted).

tl;dr good idea; not sure if there’s any way to implement it that does any better than the status quo.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Barinthus.8347

Barinthus.8347

I have a tag and I recently started to dabble in WvW. There are so many times when I’m online and there’s no tag up. I am not comfortable “commanding” since I’m still very new and not that familiar with WvW-ing yet I do want to tag up just to attract people so we can try to do stuff together.

I’m afraid that if I tag up and people find out that I don’t know much about commanding, they’d be upset and be angry. I definitely would like some kind of tag that says “yo I’m no commander but there’s nothing so if anybody’s bored, feel free to come and join me.”

Seeking Deaf Players. People who don’t use voice software welcome too!

Daggos Skelito.2910

I think you are saying that you want to make it easy for people to self-select a different marker for when they are helping to focus attention on a spot, rather than actively leading. I like the concept; I doubt, alas, that it would work in practice.

Any tag (no matter how cheap or expensive) will get used by people just for show. There just doesn’t seem to be any reliable way to restrict folks to using Doritos or iApples as the game intends or the community would hope. Thus I think the issue is more of a social dilemma rather than a technical one — in a similar situation, I would repeat in /map “placeholder tag up until the real commander gets here — pls help defend ____” (or whatever the circumstances warranted).

tl;dr good idea; not sure if there’s any way to implement it that does any better than the status quo.

It could be as easy as adding another icon to those who already bought the tags. The meaning of the tag is by far inferior to a commander tag. All it would represent is,
“group here waiting for a commander to take over”.