[Suggestion] Convert obsidian shards to gold

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

Right now I think crafting Cragstone is one of the few, if not the only way to convert shards to gold and that takes 200 gold worth of lodestones and a bunch of skill points.

Please add a way to monetize obsidian shards that is cheaper. Potions, runes, mystic recipes, anything.

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Yes please, I’m getting stacked with this useless stuff.

EverythingOP

Posted by: RiverStyx.3276

RiverStyx.3276

I must take my hat off to any player who has made ALL (20, eternity does not count) legendaries and has all the ascended armour they will ever need … that obs shards are useless to them. And if you have not done all of this, then you have surplus because you are not using the material correctly. Note you have every right not to make these items, but stop complaining there is nothing to do with it just because you refuse to do the intended thing.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

They could do that but there would be no profit margin. Look at Cragstone there’s no profit to be had there. Even items like Infinite Light… By the time you buy the lodestones and other materials you are already fast approaching your sell price. Of course if you can get a good deal on those mats (which would be a rare occurrence) then sure. Or just make a legendary.

Really when it comes down to it they are too easy to get. Most won’t bother “paying” for them. I don’t see the value of them going over 1silver each ever. And I don’t mean selling them On the TP. I mean doing the math and adding up all the actual cost to make an item that uses them, and subtracting it from the profit then dividing that amongst the amount of shards used or skill points used as well.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I would support more recipes that require Obsidian Shards before I would support the OP’s suggestion. Please keep in mind that not everyone is rolling in a surplus of Obsidian Shards, I would say that not even the majority is in such a situation. The only people I can see this happening to are the heavy K-trainers and the dedicated Silverwaste farmers.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Please please please, I have five stacks and keep getting more faster than I can get rid of them even while making legendaries!

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

The only people I know who are swimming in Obsidian shards are people that make silverwaste kittenty. The shovel group farmers and map taxi’ers that jump from map to map looking for one at or near the end instead of actually helping a map out.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

you could always make bloodstone bricks, dragonite ingots, and empyreal stars. Each one uses 2 obbi shards. That will cut down on what you have and these might have another use in the future.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Azhure.1857

you could always make bloodstone bricks, dragonite ingots, and empyreal stars. Each one uses 2 obbi shards. That will cut down on what you have and these might have another use in the future.

That’s what I do. It’s why I actually have very few shards at any given time. >_>

But something tells me the OP isn’t necessarily interested in recipes and/or refinement. I think he/she desires even more straight Gold per hour for their Silverwastes efforts. I could very well be wrong in that assumption — but I don’t think I am.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

If you’ve got that many shards, don’t you have enough spare gold from all that chest farming as it is? There’s options to use them, but not everything needs to be monetised.

On an unrelated topic, could I turn my Mini Queen Jennah’s into gold?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I suppose next we’ll have threads from people who are “overflowing” with charged lodestones since you can get those in SW too.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Azhure.1857

On an unrelated topic, could I turn my Mini Queen Jennah’s into gold?

Nice. * giggles * We’d damage the market from everyone selling all their excess Jennah minis.

eyestrain.3056

I have done some sw chest farming here and there but dont find it very good gold per hour since the rng items from the bags is kind of junk, and the farm itself gets old fast. I have obsidian shards not only from pve but also pvp reward tracks and who knows where else I keep getting them from. I have no desire for ascended mats (already have dozens of bricks, stars, etc). I’m just sitting on these things because they’re legendary mats and it seems wasteful to throw them away.

Mawdrey and the wintersday star have been excellent for using up my ascended mats. Some kind of toilet or trashcan for shards would be welcome too, even if it’s just giving me junk. Even better would be more recipes that use up the shards so my excess can be someone else’s boon. I have so much account bound kitten in this game i would love to give my friends who really want and need them (570 tomes of knowledge anyone?) but instead they’re just taking up bag space .

Posted by: Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Make clovers, most of the time you get T6 mats and lodestones from it, its pretty profitable

eyestrain.3056

Considering the cost in ectos, dust and mystic coins (which shot up in price) it isnt great imo.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Make clovers, most of the time you get T6 mats and lodestones from it, its pretty profitable

Clovers are not as profitable as other uses of karma and ecto.

For the OP: if ANet thinks that more than 0.1% of the community has “too much” obsidian, then sure, provide some other sinks. I suspect there aren’t that many, except for those converting karma into clover for things other than legendaries (which isn’t the most efficient use of the other required resources).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Na, oby shards =/= karma. Karma can be converted into shards, yes, but the OP is talking about shards themselves (such as the amount you get out of silverwaste farming). In that context, the clover recipe is probably by far the most profitable way of using up shards.

Obviously there are better ways of using “raw” karma, which most people should already know about.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I feel like obsidian shards in silverwastes was Anet’s response to the long ago karma nerf. I think the current uses for obsidian shards are fine, and I would like to see them used in more recipes that produce accound bound goods. Everybody is so obsessed with gold in this game >.>

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Pleeease, just saving stack after stack of obsidians waiting for them to be useful

M I L K B O I S