[Suggestion] Crossbow Skins for Firearms?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

We probably aren’t going to ever see any standalone crossbow weapon types in Guild Wars, but how about crossbow skins for rifles and pistols? I’ve always thought that would be a fitting choice, but now it seems even more so if it is to be believed that thieves are going to have access to rifles.

There could be few choices of crossbows ranging from light and simple (i.e. plain wood) to heavy and elaborate (i.e. steampunk). Obviously we’d have large crossbows for rifles and smaller, more compact bolt-shooters for pistols.

I just think this would be more realistic than expecting crossbows to be introduced as a brand new weapon type.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I could see that working. The sound effects would be off, but otherwise it’d fit perfectly fine. We could start with a simple, wooden crossbow skin and go crazy later on down the line.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Seabreeze.8437

I could see that working. The sound effects would be off, but otherwise it’d fit perfectly fine. We could start with a simple, wooden crossbow skin and go crazy later on down the line.

I think the sounds would work okay enough… at least the rifle sounds anyways. It wouldn’t be totally unbelievable, though, if crossbows came with exclusive sound effects, just as other weapons did (the popgun rifle and slingshot short bow comes to mind).

I hope we see something like this later on down the line.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

True, they could feature skin-specific sound effects. It’d be a neat way to attract people to the skins on the Gem Store if they’re sold there.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Seabreeze.8437

I’d be happy to drop some gems for those, if that was the case.

I just feel that in a game where we have bows and guns, the crossbow would fit in quite nicely, even as a rifle and pistol skin.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Early on in the game’s life, people asked for great axe skins for hammers or greatswords. The response to that likely still stands as regards this: Anet have no desire to make weapons look like other weapons… they’d rather just add in new weapons with new skills.

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

Mhm not a bad idea, though it would be off with a couple of animations. I can’t imagine rifle engineer launching themself by firing a crossbow as they would a rifle for example.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Mhm not a bad idea, though it would be off with a couple of animations. I can’t imagine rifle engineer launching themself by firing a crossbow as they would a rifle for example.

Yeah, I can’t see it for a rifle. But for pistols, I could easily see small crossbows. Unusual ones, but still crossbows.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Early on in the game’s life, people asked for great axe skins for hammers or greatswords. The response to that likely still stands as regards this: Anet have no desire to make weapons look like other weapons… they’d rather just add in new weapons with new skills.

well.. we get a chain whip sword skin most likely tomorrow onto the gem store (what looks btw epic as hell imo).. so i wouldnt bet my money on them keeping this system.
But yea.. they did menton something like this waaaaay back then.

edit: the skin is already in the wardrobe´s 1h sword skin tab if you wanna look

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

Seabreeze.8437

I don’t think it’d be too far fetched. It’d be like loading an explosive bolt into it and using the resulting blast to launch you. I actually find it weirder that rifle engineers could use a musket as a blunderbuss or—on the flip side—warriors sniping with a blunderbuss.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

I don’t think it’d be too far fetched. It’d be like loading an explosive bolt into it and using the resulting blast to launch you. I actually find it weirder that rifle engineers could use a musket as a blunderbuss or—on the flip side—warriors sniping with a blunderbuss.

well… i think we reached a point where it (imo) really doesnt matter anymore to look at small details like this. I mean we got guardians in dresses, swinging pixel weapons at dragon minions that look like the little shop of horror´s plant on acid while a garden gnome sized asura swings a hammer thats as big as he is to knock a 16 foot tall undead patchwork project on its kitten right besides a 4 horned 4 eared cat ogre with trenchcoat and gas mask that shoots a 6 feet long sniper rifle from the hip with buckshot ammo. So yea.. whats the harm in having crossbow skins? If you ask me.. they would be less insane then what we got going on right now (not that there is anything wrong with insane)

Posted by: yhvh.8703

yhvh.8703

Ohh that would be amazing! Great idea.

I think worrying about strange animations, such as engineer jump with the gun is pretty minor. Sound can be custom built in…

I’m really waiting to see how this chain whip sword actually works… If it behaves really like a whip I’m so spending my gem savings on that one!

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Eh, both are equally ridiculous.

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

We could do this since we already have the sling shot for short bows. Crossbow skin for rifles is not out of the realm of possibility.

Seabreeze.8437

So we have a chain-whip sword in the Black Lion store now, which is really cool because that shows us they’re really trying to bring us more unique weapon skins that do more than just “look different.” I hope Anet (or specifically our friendly neighborhood Gaile) notices this thread and thinks it’s good enough to at least pitch the idea. You know, just to get them thinking about it at least.