[Suggestion] Custom Outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Would like to gauge the a suggestion that I made in the past and see how relevant it is in the present (although maybe it has been suggested by others and me being off doing job stuff has hindered me from seeing it)…

So, custom outfits. If implemented as I imagine would work like this:

• You open the gem store and buy a custom outfit, the slot is account bound until you use it on a character and this unlocks an outfit slot labeled #1-#X where X = the amount of custom outfits you have on a particular character.
  • After using a custom outfit slot on a character, in the outfits tab and upon selecting the custom outfit slot you want, you have the option of selecting pieces (head to feet) from your wardrobe.
  • After selecting the parts you want, you choose to lock that armor selection as an outfit in in the #’ed slot. The price is 6 transmutation charges.
  • If you choose to clear your custom outfit slot, it costs 1 transmutation charge to which then you can reselect any armor pieces you have in wardrobe as an outfit again.

The reason I suggest such an addition is, I see ascended armor as a means of replacing character individual armor pieces for account armor pieces but the skins don’t need to transfer. I already use outfits for characters that the outfits fit for, but other characters, their armor skins would be better. Now I could figure out a work-around and just use outfits for X characters and keep the skin available for Y character…or you can get more money out of me with multiple custom outfits I can just create for individual characters and file in whatever armor for a cost.

tl;dr: Custom Outfits would be like savable armor templates that costs gems to unlock, transmutation charges to alter and be soulbound unlocks similar to inventory bag upgrades.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You use the words custom outfit but you don’t define it. Is it an outfit that’s cut into X number of pieces that you can mix and match with other outfits?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

I’d say the OP defines it pretty well. It’s an outfit, custom built by mixing armor skins. So after picking a set of boots, leggings, gloves, shoulders, a chest piece and headgear just like you can do to transmute your armor, you instead lock it into an outfit usable by any character on the account without spending transmutation charges each time.
This is something I’ve wanted for a while, but been too lazy to write up :p

It could also partially circumvent the weight class restriction on skins, by letting you make an outfit from heavy skins (but no mixing, only heavy skins) and use it on a medium wearer, just like a medium wearer can use heavy-style outfits.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Nice idea, but as long as transmute charges are a gem-store item, it probably won’t happen.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Nice idea, but as long as transmute charges are a gem-store item, it probably won’t happen.

If it works as an outfit, what’s the difference between buying one of the anet-designed outfits and making one of your own? Maybe the cost is 800 gems instead of 400-700 gems per outfit.

I don’t know if I’d buy any… but almost certainly if I got one for free (say as an account-wide birthday gift) and it turned out well, I imagine I’d be sorely tempted to plunk down the gems for more.

@OP: I imagine ANet has already kicked the idea around a few times. Unless it’s more complicated than we think (and things often are), my bet is that they are just waiting for the right time and the right resources to become available. (Their armor team is probably still finishing up Legendary, so it might be a while.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Leo G.4501

I’d say the OP defines it pretty well. It’s an outfit, custom built by mixing armor skins. So after picking a set of boots, leggings, gloves, shoulders, a chest piece and headgear just like you can do to transmute your armor, you instead lock it into an outfit usable by any character on the account without spending transmutation charges each time.
This is something I’ve wanted for a while, but been too lazy to write up :p

Well, the way i meant to explain it, the custom outfit slot wouldn’t be account wide, but bound by character for the purpose of a) clean coding because race armor exists and if you mix in those culture armor you create a conclict and b) more money for anet (because if you if you appeal to them on a marketing standpoint you’re more likely to be heard).

That isnt to say my idea must be soulbound, I’m just offering my reasoning for suggesting that. If they were account bound instead, it wouldnt make a difference to me as i would have reserved slots for specific characters.

I never considered possibly breaking armor weight for professions. If this were the only way to accomplish that (through custom outfits) thats another way to appeal to the masses.

Leo G.4501

If it works as an outfit, what’s the difference between buying one of the anet-designed outfits and making one of your own? Maybe the cost is 800 gems instead of 400-700 gems per outfit.

I don’t know if I’d buy any… but almost certainly if I got one for free (say as an account-wide birthday gift) and it turned out well, I imagine I’d be sorely tempted to plunk down the gems for more.

@OP: I imagine ANet has already kicked the idea around a few times. Unless it’s more complicated than we think (and things often are), my bet is that they are just waiting for the right time and the right resources to become available. (Their armor team is probably still finishing up Legendary, so it might be a while.)

I hope so. If they do it like they did the shared inventory slots (1 free with hot) it’s definitely a stepping stone.

While I’m a bigger fan of their outfits and building on its library, i do still enjoy and use armor wardrobe but the wardrobe system (even with transmutation charges) is very limited. Some people like to save armor combos without needing armor taking up slots or an external .doc annotating the look for future use. Me personally, i hate having to re-dye stuff to look how it was on a different set of gear and using different pc/laptops makes it hard to do by eye. Its just a tedious annoyance I’d pay to circumvent.

Also, just being able to swap looks instantly is just way better.

…and it’d still cost charges to lock and alter a custom outfit so if you’re buying charges, this is just more reason to buy charges.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If it could be used to make an outfit composed of ingame armor (all of the same weight) that can be used by a char of a different weight it might be an interesting possibility.

Ive seen it suggested before, or similar suggestions. What I’ve seen suggested is the UI has 2 [armor outfit slots] with each [armor outfit slots] having access to the armor of a different weight than the char.

E.g.: an light armor char has the regular armor slots and wardrobe, plus an [armor outfit slot set] with access to medium wardrobe and an [armor outfit slot set] with access to heavy wardrobe. These [armor outfits] are statless and fit over the regular armor like an outfit. There is no mixing and matching between armor sets but there is full access to all 3 armor weights wardrobes for each char, with 2 of the wardrobes being cosmetic only.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.