[Suggestion] Demote Redundant Champs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Hi,

Certain champs that spawn in the world are tied to the Living World storyline and achievements. Theses champions are fun to play in groups in the beginning when they are first introduced, when many players are enthusiastic to attack them and earn achievement points or progress the story.

However, as time goes on, players who have already done them a few times (in some cases just once!), they grow weary of the difficulty of them, and many of them are now being skipped.

The best example is probably the Mordrem champion in Iron Marches, which is nowadays seldom done as a group to fight it is hard to ask for. Bandit champions across Kryta are also starting to be skipped.

This can be frustrating for some players, especially new players, or ones who haven’t done the achievements yet. So I recommend demoting a few of the ‘event’ champs down to Elite or perhaps Veteran status now, in-line with the lower demand to complete them.

I think this will help new players complete the achievements, and it might also perk some new interest for those who have already experienced them to defeat them again, given that fewer players would be needed.

Thanks.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

+1 to this. I agree that some of the living world current events bosses need to be down-graded because it’s now hard to find players to fight them.

A lot of these bosses are interesting fights too because they have some cool mechanics, they aren’t trash mobs. The only “problem” is their champion status which makes soloing them boring due to the time required to kill them. Making them veterans or elites with the same abilities would make them really interesting fights, and if you solo them a good reminder of the good-old Queen’s Gauntlet.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Demoting some of them to elite would be convenient. I would also like to see the retaliation changed from the mordrem wolf in iron marches. It should either be a buff that it has to apply instead of the wolf having 100% uptime on it, or it should have a reduced effect. Especially considering that everytime you kill it it splits in two…… Its just a pain in the kittening kitten to do this solo because of the retaliation

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s not just the champs from the Living story, it’s the open world events themselves. They should also look into turning down the difficulty on these Living Story events after the first rush to do them is over. Trying to do some of these events and get the achieves after the crowd has moved on it notably more difficult.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

The bloodcrazed spawns as well, people have to wait hours for them to spawn, and many times now they fail because they take so long to kill and have short timers. I completed these a while ago, but often times I am running around on a map, and these events spawn at the worst times like when another event is up that needs a lot of people. Cant help but feel bad for those that are waiting so long for these spawns just to have it fail…

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

-1 they should stay as they are

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

X T D.6458

If this stuff remains in the game they need to be scaled down because there will be fewer and fewer people doing it. This is not like doing hero points in HoT that you do on different toons and thus can repeat over and over, some of these events are a one time thing for many players just to finish the achievement and never bother with it again.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Why should they stay as they are? Convince those of us who think that such events should be scaled to reflect the number of people likely to participate at any one time that they should remain as they are.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

this is a very good idea but maybe even a better one is to relocate them to more of

remote spots case in point . Queensdale where that champ is located is not a very good

spot and always have to go around it even more so if some one is trying to do it by

which makes you have to go around even more if not even backtrack

to the castle itself and go around but then a even more better idea would be best

fix wise is to just remove them from the game fully . and keep them out of pve all

together as a whole .

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Shifting to starting them off as elites after the events have proven to become more or less abandoned by the majority of the player base (no doubt ANet can easily track metrics on these events to determine a good time frame) would be good, forward thinking design. Scaling can be used when enough players show up, leaving them able to be made tough enough as Champs or Legendaries to be something other than a zerg cakewalk (which is how I think most players usually get their achievements, and hence often don’t see a need for such events to be scaled back once they’re done with them).

After all, events are meant to be done, not avoided. If there isn’t a similar “early adopter’s zerg” available after the initial rush period, it shouldn’t essentially obsolete an event when adjusting things to suit the climate would keep them accessible all the time.

X T D.6458

One thing they can do is implement a countdown timer on the map to determine the proper scaling. Basically there would be an ingame announcement on the map that “A Crazed BloodStone Creature Will Appear” a countdown timer of 2 minutes will start and can show the location on the map, then depending on the number of people in the spawn area the scaling can be determined. So if there is a large group there, it will spawn a champ/legendary, if only 2-3 people then an veteran/elite.

penelopehannibal.8947

If this stuff remains in the game they need to be scaled down because there will be fewer and fewer people doing it. This is not like doing hero points in HoT that you do on different toons and thus can repeat over and over, some of these events are a one time thing for many players just to finish the achievement and never bother with it again.

Being scaled down is something I can live with (and is essentially the same thing I’m proposing anyway) so they can be achievable to an ever decreasing population of those with interest in those areas.

They don’t necessarily have to be demoted from Champ to Elite in name for example (especially when loot bags are involved!) but some of them are far tougher than your average solo-able champ.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I haven’t finished the bandit ones yet. Nor any of the the other “current events” that have been introduced since March? Don’t remember. Got a lot partially done but not any one event fully, yet.

As for the Mordrem in the Iron Marches. As long as LWS2 has portions of the episodes in the open world, they have to be there.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

OriOri.8724

I haven’t finished the bandit ones yet. Nor any of the the other “current events” that have been introduced since March? Don’t remember. Got a lot partially done but not any one event fully, yet.

As for the Mordrem in the Iron Marches. As long as LWS2 has portions of the episodes in the open world, they have to be there.

OP isn’t proposing to remove these events, just to scale them down by default.

penelopehannibal.8947

As OriOri said, I’m not saying get rid of them, I’m saying make them doable with fewer numbers that are interested. To Demote, not delete!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Neurion.4086

Neurion.4086

This can be frustrating for some players, especially new players, or ones who haven’t done the achievements yet. So I recommend demoting a few of the ‘event’ champs down to Elite or perhaps Veteran status now, in-line with the lower demand to complete them.

New players should band together and defeat champions as older players did when these events first appeared; or ask their guild-mates, or their friends, or even other people using the map chat. For the bandit champions, in particular, I see people everyday doing them.

I don’t endorse scaling these events down, they should stay as they are. What ANet could do though, to help the situation, is to include these champions more often in the dailies.

penelopehannibal.8947

New players should band together and defeat champions as older players did when these events first appeared; or ask their guild-mates, or their friends, or even other people using the map chat. For the bandit champions, in particular, I see people everyday doing them.

I don’t endorse scaling these events down, they should stay as they are. What ANet could do though, to help the situation, is to include these champions more often in the dailies.

How are new players meant to band together when they don’t know each other? The older players didn’t band together when the content first came out. They just turned up and managed randomly because it was new and interesting content at the time.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: shalywen.9548

shalywen.9548

Why should they stay as they are? Convince those of us who think that such events should be scaled to reflect the number of people likely to participate at any one time that they should remain as they are.

Why should they stay as they are? Because they are challenging. They should maybe increase the reward to motivate people to do them more often, not make those champs veterans or elites (look what happened to the starter zones when anet did that to those champs…maps once full for the champ trains became instantly empty). And if you can’t do them due to a lack of people in the map in a particular moment, just skip them and wait for another moment, cause if you ask for help in chat, usually people come to help you without problems.

I can’t understand why people always wants easier content in pve.

penelopehannibal.8947

(look what happened to the starter zones when anet did that to those champs…maps once full for the champ trains became instantly empty).

The trouble with the champ trains was that map chat was full of people bickering and arguing about who ‘owns’ what champions and who isn’t allowed to kill a champ on their own because a train is entitled to kill them. This being in a starter zone was very toxic for players who first started the game. It’s not a good impression, so sorry, but the Queensdale champ train being taken away was a welcome change from me.

They should maybe increase the reward to motivate people to do them more often

If they increased the reward for said champs, I would endorse it if it did guarantee that it’d increase participation. But I doubt it would happen given that there are better ways to gain loot these days than killing the champs we’re discussing here. (Especially the AB chest farm thingy that I’m hearing so much about).

I’m not asking for easier content. I’m asking for content to be scaled for more probable participation. The difficulty can remain the same, just doable for fewer people.

It’d probably be more difficult, given that a champ with 50 people turning up, all you need is to repeatedly press 111111111111 (like in your ‘challenging’ Queensdale champ train). A scaled down champ with 3 or 4 people turning up there’d actually be some skill involved with a few dodges.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Neurion.4086

How are new players meant to band together when they don’t know each other?

I’ve already told you how: use the map chat.

penelopehannibal.8947

How are new players meant to band together when they don’t know each other?

I’ve already told you how: use the map chat.

I understand map chat. The point is, how many people actually respond nowadays to Virh the Undying or whoever they’re called?

Player A: “Virh up at [X Waypoint]”
Rest of Map Chat: “__________”

This is the entire point of this topic!

There are fewer and fewer responses to calls for the tougher champs. Bandit champs that once used to get attack as soon as they spawned, are now left to their own devices and survive sometimes for hours on end. The morden champ is almost always avoided in Iron Marches now.

Also, not all new players (as well as players who maybe not new, but new to the champ-tied achievements) are in the same map at the same time, so still, how are new players meant to band together?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

(look what happened to the starter zones when anet did that to those champs…maps once full for the champ trains became instantly empty).

The trouble with the champ trains was that map chat was full of people bickering and arguing about who ‘owns’ what champions and who isn’t allowed to kill a champ on their own because a train is entitled to kill them. This being in a starter zone was very toxic for players who first started the game. It’s not a good impression, so sorry, but the Queensdale champ train being taken away was a welcome change from me.

If they increased the reward for said champs, I would endorse it if it did guarantee that it’d increase participation. But I doubt it would happen given that there are better ways to gain loot these days than killing the champs we’re discussing here. (Especially the AB chest farm thingy that I’m hearing so much about).

I’m not asking for easier content. I’m asking for content to be scaled for more probable participation. The difficulty can remain the same, just doable for fewer people.

It’d probably be more difficult, given that a champ with 50 people turning up, all you need is to repeatedly press 111111111111 (like in your ‘challenging’ Queensdale champ train). A scaled down champ with 3 or 4 people turning up there’d actually be some skill involved with a few dodges.

It already is doable for any amount of people. But the fewer people around the more personal effort you have to put in. If there are 3 people around you are 33% of the crowd. If there are 50 people around you are 2% of the crowd. So you cannot rely on other people carrying you if there are fewer people around.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not convinced by the arguments stated to date that it’s as big a problem as people are claiming. Certainly these are difficult fights to do solo, but I’ve done some of them recently and didn’t have to solo them — I made a call out in /map and voila! more people.

Sure, it would be convenient to have them rescaled, but I think it would also reduce the amount of fun some of us have. I like some fights being too difficult for me to do alone: it’s a personal challenge to try to get better and/or an incentive to play with others.

tl;dr I’m not opposed to a change. However, I don’t think it’s necessary and I don’t think it would be ‘best’ for everyone.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Seera.5916

I’m not convinced by the arguments stated to date that it’s as big a problem as people are claiming. Certainly these are difficult fights to do solo, but I’ve done some of them recently and didn’t have to solo them — I made a call out in /map and voila! more people.

Sure, it would be convenient to have them rescaled, but I think it would also reduce the amount of fun some of us have. I like some fights being too difficult for me to do alone: it’s a personal challenge to try to get better and/or an incentive to play with others.

tl;dr I’m not opposed to a change. However, I don’t think it’s necessary and I don’t think it would be ‘best’ for everyone.

The thing is, others have posted that there have been calls for X but no one shows up. So that’s mixed success.

I don’t have a strong preference for it being changed, but just saying it shouldn’t be changed isn’t a good enough answer so I called on the poster to explain.

OriOri.8724

The thing is, others have posted that there have been calls for X but no one shows up. So that’s mixed success.

I don’t have a strong preference for it being changed, but just saying it shouldn’t be changed isn’t a good enough answer so I called on the poster to explain.

That happens with every event though. Its not that unusual for me to not receive any help at HP in HoT maps for instance. It certainly does happen, and people complain the same way about vinetooth Prime. It would be convenient to scale down older LW and current event events , but not required. I certainly wouldn’t complain if it did happen though

Neurion.4086

It already is doable for any amount of people. But the fewer people around the more personal effort you have to put in. If there are 3 people around you are 33% of the crowd. If there are 50 people around you are 2% of the crowd. So you cannot rely on other people carrying you if there are fewer people around.

Agreed.
Today I did Flyrra the Remorseless and Lenner the Eagle-Eyed with two other people who appeared after a call in map chat. It surely took us longer than usual, but we killed them.
Maybe Varre the Underhanded and Ezal the Quick need 4 or 5, but bandit champions are generally doable with a small number of people.

I still don’t endorse the scaling down of these fights.

OriOri.8724

Agreed.
Today I did Flyrra the Remorseless and Lenner the Eagle-Eyed with two other people who appeared after a call in map chat. It surely took us longer than usual, but we killed them.
Maybe Varre the Underhanded and Ezal the Quick need 4 or 5, but bandit champions are generally doable with a small number of people.

OP mentioned the old LWS2 open world events in Iron marches in his post. Those are far older than bandit events, so even fewer people do them. I’m not trying to change your mind, just to keep this about the events that OP specifically mentioned

Seera.5916

Agreed.

OP mentioned the old LWS2 open world events in Iron marches in his post. Those are far older than bandit events, so even fewer people do them. I’m not trying to change your mind, just to keep this about the events that OP specifically mentioned

OP also mentioned that it was starting to happen to the bandit champions in the first post.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I absolutely agree to this… when a game is made to be upscaled, then it should be also made in one and the same way to be also DOWNSCALED if neccessary.

And this neccessity becomes right now then the moment, once a map becomes so underpopulated, that people can’t play successfully the content in them anymore, because the maps are designed with their events and their difficulty with the mindset, that the map is populated and all the time full enough, so that the balance for the enemies with their chanps and legendary foes fits.

But once the atractivity of a map sinks and people move on to newer maps, the older maps need to get ADJUSTED, or better said, the maps need to autpomatically adjust themself accordign to the player population on the map.
Thats wherefore the freakign scaling system is in this game working for and the scaling system should be just a god stupid one way roud, that can only upscale…it should work into BOTH ways.

If Anet wants a new player friendly game, then this is an absolute must to change, because GW2 has to be a game for everybody, not just the full time active veterans, that do never make a longer break from the game and get due to this everythign easily done due to the maps beign overflown consistantly with enough people so that everyone just needs to constantly press 111111 to bet in massive player crods together every champ and legendary in a matter of seconds, while not so active players have the disadvantage to not be able to work on achievements and rewards that the game offers, because of the fact, that the battles become too hard if the maps get too underpopulated, because of the enemies not scaling down according to the significantly reduced amount of players in the map.

Only because an enemy gets in an underpopulated map downscaled, doesn’t mean, that the enemy can’t scale up live again right at the moment, when out of a sudden alot more people join the map.

There is no reason, why some special snowflakes should dictate Anet here not to make their game more long term player friendly, especially for those of us, that make from gw2 a longer break, because right at the moment, when people see when they return to a game after a longer break, that the game design gives them pretty much the middle finger, just only because they haven#t played the game actively like some other people, thats the moment, where you will ose practivally alot of players and that then forever.

Thats something that anets needs to work against by simply scaling more enemies down actively, once they see by their metrics, that maps become more and more desolated by players to the point, that whole enemies or even whole event chains get more or less “ignored” completely, simply because of the lack of players or because of the rewards not being good enough anymore at the current state of the game that anyone is even at all interested anymore in doing that content of the game, that Naet needs either to change somethign on the game, so that the interest in that content arises again by the players and the map gets revitalized, or if they don#t have the intention of improving the rewards for a map/event/content revitalization, that they then instead scale down these parts of the game in regard of enemy difficiulty, so that smaller player groups can do these things as well, when simply already too many people have went over further to other newer maps and just never come back anymore to the older maps, because they have basically done already everythign thats of interest for them there and going back to older maps feels for them like wasting time, cause of beign able to earn much more valuable thigns for them, working on other achievements or gettign simply far much more gold for their time, if they are just now on a newer map, instead of doing X old old map Y.

Anet does way too less for making their game long term attractive in regard of older maps, they work andesign aroudn their game like locusts, always on the fly for the next thing, but never look back on what is behind them and thats a very sad way of designing a game…

good game designers should also always look back constantly, on how they can improve older game content and how they can revive older content, that has already lost the interest of a majority of the player base to brign the people to return to older places and maybe eventually help by their return also indirectly newer players again with working on their stuff they are actually on, that these returning people maybe already have doen months to years before them already, while receiving some newer rewards this way maybe, which newer players won’t receive yet, because they have to work first on their older content’s rewards, even if both kinds of players, the old veterans and newer players may do together the same stuff, the same events together… but that hasn’t to mean, that both players must also always receive the same rewards.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Hi,

Certain champs that spawn in the world are tied to the Living World storyline and achievements. Theses champions are fun to play in groups in the beginning when they are first introduced, when many players are enthusiastic to attack them and earn achievement points or progress the story.

However, as time goes on, players who have already done them a few times (in some cases just once!), they grow weary of the difficulty of them, and many of them are now being skipped.

The best example is probably the Mordrem champion in Iron Marches, which is nowadays seldom done as a group to fight it is hard to ask for. Bandit champions across Kryta are also starting to be skipped.

I think this will help new players complete the achievements, and it might also perk some new interest for those who have already experienced them to defeat them again, given that fewer players would be needed.

Thanks.

It’s a good idea in general to have a lot of the content scale appropriately to the size of the group engaging it. Starting content at 3+ when there might not even be 30 people spaced in the entire map (I’ve definitely had Tangled Depths experiences like this) means that challenges aren’t tuned for those who are actually doing the content. So it get skipped.

Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if champ Defiance bars were better tuned for solo/small groups, because then at least control is an option. But I guess the main point is, there are lots of places where tuning for very solos/small groups would be a benefit for the game.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: MrGhosty.4296

MrGhosty.4296

I see no reason not to make content scale to make the fights more accessible to solo/small groups. I’ve come up against this myself several times and after the second fail event in the Ley line events I just gave up and moved on. I put the call out on map chat, but more often than not no one shows up or it just one or two people. For those like “like the challenge of it” I would ask how many times you return to the event to challenge yourself. I would also note that I’ve not seen one person for the change suggest the fight be “dumbed down”, merely make it so that it can be accomplished with a smaller amount of people.

I don’t think anyone realistically expects games like this to be tuned to personal taste, but as the game evolves changes like this one could help breath some new life back into content that has gotten a bit dusty.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I see no reason not to make content scale to make the fights more accessible to solo/small groups. I’ve come up against this myself several times and after the second fail event in the Ley line events I just gave up and moved on. I put the call out on map chat, but more often than not no one shows up or it just one or two people. For those like “like the challenge of it” I would ask how many times you return to the event to challenge yourself. I would also note that I’ve not seen one person for the change suggest the fight be “dumbed down”, merely make it so that it can be accomplished with a smaller amount of people.

I don’t think anyone realistically expects games like this to be tuned to personal taste, but as the game evolves changes like this one could help breath some new life back into content that has gotten a bit dusty.

If you’re talking about the Ley line events in Blazeridge put in game back in June then those need a look at really badly. I tried doing one with a couple other people and it’s crazy what with all the inquest and golems running around.

Don’t allow the Inquest to collect any accumulated ley-line magic.Basically as long you kill the Inquest golem collectors and are fast at gathering the Ley Energy you should get this achievement pretty easily.

This one here. You have to not only kill the any vet golem with a Ley Energy but also grab and put in the ring Ley Energy on the ground. There’s swarms of vets and little golems running around and grabbing the Ley Energy, which was fine with a Zerg doing it at the same time. It’s overtuned for a few people and doesn’t seem to scale down.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.