[Suggestion] Desert - What do u think?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: moony.5780

moony.5780

Hello people of Tyria

What do u whish and think what should be in an ingame desert?

For me…i think it would be nice if there would be some sandstorm events, where u need to search a shelter and hide
also i think it would be nice if sometimes while u walk u get stuck..and get pulled down by the sand and find ur self in a ruin or something

What ideas do u have to make it more interesting to run around in the map ? (can also be generall..not only the desert or dessert <3 )

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Environmental condition that slows down energy regeneration.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

moony.5780

I think that more events which r more difficult and r different then the usual ones will be nice …i love running around the map…but the events r nearly all the same (except few)..and they r toooooo easy

and also it will be nice if some areas cant be entered at all without a quest before (like repairing a bridge)…then it would feel more like ur actions actually have an effect on the world

Azhure.1857

A zone without waypoints wouldn’t be very favored.

moony.5780

hm….then maybe not really an area without wp….i just want something which really make u feel u can change the world…as it sounded before the beta..i was so excited about it..but in the end u dont feel at all that the things u do change something

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

What I think about when I think on Deserts:

• Sandstorms
  • Huge Sandworms (Junundus) and with huge I mean huge, same size as Triple Trouble, but far more of them (Think on the Dune Trilogy Movies)
  • Oasics & Palm Trees
  • Fata Morghannas (Heat Illusions)
  • Hidden Ruins (Tombs) & Pyramids
  • Quicksands
  • Rock Valleys/Canyons
  • Fitting environmental Enemies and Creatures like Giant Scorpions/Spiders (Devourers), Drakes (Hydras), Behemoths, various Snakes (Nagas), Giants (GW2 desperately needs more Giants and other creatures that count as Giants cause of their size), Hekets, due to Kralkatorrik having influenced parts of the Dersert, new branded creatures, Lions. joko naturally also beign there, so Undeads (Mummies/Ghouls ect.), Gargoyles, Scarabs , Fireflies and Moskitos, Crocodiles/Alligators, Camels/Andromedars, Llamas/Alpacas, this is something where you can really brainstorm alot about
  • Wandering Nomads
  • Areas where living is not possible, where we need help to explore these territories without to die from the harch environment
  • Sand Gliders (I would love to see something similar as a kind of transport tool for the personal story or so, remembers me always on Breath of Fire 4, where you had Sand Flyers, so where they called in the game as a way to travel through the desert faster)
Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

moony.5780

ur ideas r really great Orpheal ((it really make me want to play in a desert ))
i hope anet will read this post before they design a desert map (and also all the other ideas here and which r comming )

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

More of the sad stories from the bleached bones Those little snippets were more ‘real’ than any of S1 LS for me.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Blue Magnolia.5207

Blue Magnolia.5207

The only desert I want is the Crystal Desert

moony.5780

But how do u want the Crystal Desert to be ?

Posted by: Xhieron.2168

Xhieron.2168

My leveling companion and I were talking the last few days about some of the Skyrim mods that we’ve experienced. I haven’t played in a while and he was recommending some stuff that he liked, in particular Realistic Needs and Frostfall, both because of the immersion aspects.

That’s a tricky subject in MMOs, but I can’t help but think that in the Shiverpeaks, some opportunities have been missed (and could similarly be missed in the Desert, if and when it’s ever released/available).

I certainly don’t want my GW2 avatar to be able to starve, freeze to death, etc., but I think there’s a balance between un-manageable survival immersion which really doesn’t fit the style of GW2 and environmental design that promotes the goals of the game in the context of the area where the player is. Sandstorms are a must, and they need to reduce visibility. Also, the zones need to be very, very, very large, with open spaces that are genuinely deserted. I don’t need to be able to run for an hour without running into a mob, but I want to be able to get a little disoriented if I don’t keep an eye on the map. I would actually be fine with the map not working at all in certain areas, but I realize that’s probably a bridge too far.

Finally, just wanted to add another plug for Breath of Fire. III and IV both had excellent, immersive desert environments for their times. Navigating by stars in BOF III is one of my fondest memories as a young gamer.

Peace and safety.

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

Those ideas sound immersive and fun…which is exactly why you won’t ever see them here. Sandstorm events sound like they could be the type of thing many people expected events to be when the game was hyped…which, again is why you won’t see them-any event that doesn’t involve ‘kill x’ or ‘gather x’ is a no-no it seems. If you want to see what a desert region would be in this game look at Orr-pretty sure it’ll be like that.

But sure, I’ll be masochistic and indulge………and realize how awesome the game could be, but won’t ever be (not in any particular order):

a) dynamic environmental/weather effect and events
-few additional unique monsters associated with each effect
-weather has effect on ‘core’ set of monsters as well as players (fun effects…not perma cripple with no upside or anything like that. e.g. windy day causes blind swordsman effect on players: 30% chance to miss but dmg increased 100% or something. If you want to remove effect buy sunglasses or something-npc not the ones in the cash shop)
-environmental effect affects behaviour of mobs. If there’s a beneficial effect (to the mobs) mobs will aggregate and attempt to protect the source (boss/artifact).

b)water/hydration level management (oasis/water holes in the desert as well as purchasable items from outposts)
c)infrequent (like once a week/fortnight/month type) massive earthquake/heatwave/sandstorm events where the goal is to ensure the outposts survive/stay operational-death awaits any player who wants to /dance in the middle of a heatwave
d)mobs with elemental weaknesses/strength (1/2 dmg from fire)….not a serious ‘wishlist’ item but it always bothered why why gw2 did away with elemental effects…don’t think I’ve ever played a game calling itself a rpg without elemental weaknesses/strengths
e)clear minidungeons in the forms of ruins/tombs/pyramids etc etc as well as their traditional pointlessly obscure ones
f)…………………….er…um
>>
<
<
podracing

…fine I’ll settle for choco-I mean moa racing. Proper racing-not just moa-gambling (if players want to bet on others let them…could actually be cool).

g) I’d want something to do with finisher interaction and the environment, but in the two minutes of thinking I couldn’t think of anything beyond using blast finishers to clear pockets of heatwaves/minor sandstorms

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

(edited by Imbune.5497)

moony.5780

a) sounds really nice and im sure it would bring a lot of fun well all the other ideas r also nice ^^

Posted by: Xerion.8014

Xerion.8014

When i think about a sandstorm.

Xerion The Fierced – #1 Ranger Extraordinary
“Beautiful, talented and unique.”
Velocity [VcY] – Somewhere roaming on Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Hello people of Tyria

What do u whish and think what should be in an ingame desert?

For me…i think it would be nice if there would be some sandstorm events, where u need to search a shelter and hide
also i think it would be nice if sometimes while u walk u get stuck..and get pulled down by the sand and find ur self in a ruin or something

What ideas do u have to make it more interesting to run around in the map ? (can also be generall..not only the desert or dessert <3 )

As long as there are plenty of happy faces, I’m in!

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

There is no energy involved with skills, in GW2, except for Dodging and that I don’t think that is what you are talking about. That makes no sense at all.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Sounds a lot like what I dreamed about not so long ago :P

And well, looks like it is mainly true: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-gates-of-maguuma-open-july-1/

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I think limited visibility would be enough, but if the conditions of the desert are not that heavy for openworld content, then maybe.

Also that S2 is starting and we get deserts with sandstorms!

Hopefully more use for anti-toxin spray too.

Sounds a lot like what I dreamed about not so long ago :P

And well, looks like it is mainly true: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-gates-of-maguuma-open-july-1/

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Dusty Moon.4382

There was a desert part in the Maguuma Jungle, if you remember GW1. It will be interesting to see what it looks like now.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

There was a desert part in the Maguuma Jungle, if you remember GW1. It will be interesting to see what it looks like now.

But maguuma is waste land now, so deserts ahoy. Doh.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Deserts, forest, tundra and savanna are the type of maps I really miss. (big open stretched empty maps or the forest that is exactly the opposite of that).

The new trailer seems to suggest we get some desert like map(s). And as it’s Maguum that opens we might in fact also see some (tropical) forests. Who knows.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

After the debacle that was LS S1 I am leary of S2.
I will admit that the desert looks cool and hopefully there will be some fun exploration and dungeons in the new zone(s).
For many, including myself this is Anets point of redemption.
After 2 years of beta testing the community, they had better get this right.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I guess we will see a lot of the things which are desert-related in the EotM map since this is / was the perfect testing ground for a new map. Maybe there are those wurm-travel channels.

I’m not sure if it would be fun to run around in huge flat areas with nothing but sand. Not without some kind of mount (like the wurms in GW1) which I suppose won’t make a return.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Devata.6589

After the debacle that was LS S1 I am leary of S2.
I will admit that the desert looks cool and hopefully there will be some fun exploration and dungeons in the new zone(s).
For many, including myself this is Anets point of redemption.
After 2 years of beta testing the community, they had better get this right.

Yeah well I personally would also prefer a good expansion with those maps to have Anet earning money that way and so get rid of the cash-shop likely getting a better game for it.

But as long as thats not the case I am at least happy to see a few of these maps.

Devata.6589

I guess we will see a lot of the things which are desert-related in the EotM map since this is / was the perfect testing ground for a new map. Maybe there are those wurm-travel channels.

I’m not sure if it would be fun to run around in huge flat areas with nothing but sand. Not without some kind of mount (like the wurms in GW1) which I suppose won’t make a return.

I do like that sort of maps. True mounts are needed on those maps (also for the effect of a stretched out map that would be gone with way-points) but then I really like those map. You see a settlement or a little house in the distance and go there to check it out.

No way-points, no point of interest and no vista’s (well obviously vista’s but no vista icon and animation) you just explore because your curious of whats that thing there in the distance. That is exploring to me.

moony.5780

haha so funny now there wil be really a desert landscape soon hope i opened this topic earlier that the game developer know better what players want

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m not a big fan of environmental affects that inhibit player movement. I get enough bad weather where I live, I don’t need it in game.

The Burninator

Dusty Moon.4382

I’m not a big fan of environmental affects that inhibit player movement. I get enough bad weather where I live, I don’t need it in game.

I hated the environmental effects in GW:Nightfall – what a pain. They were so over the top.

Posted by: Jack.1469

Jack.1469

Elona/Nightfall. That would be a good place to start. So yes, I’d agree with you.

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

It will need Asura made drones patrolling the skies and lots of checkpoints. No desert is a desert without any of this.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

The Maguuma area isn’t really a true desert… those arid areas are regularly broken by jungle. Such an environment probably wouldn’t exist in the real world, though – and the drier parts were pretty desert-like (I think what we would normally call “wastelands” though – they weren’t flat like the Sahara).

For a sandy desert I think the Crystal Desert is the obvious pick – though that has a bit more water than it used to thanks to the Elon’s diversion. The map still makes parts look dry though. As bleak as it was, it was one of my favorite parts of GW1 (except the burrowed mobs, they were a little annoying) – it had a kind of serenity to it that I miss.

What I would most want to see in it: remnants of the past that tell stories about the past, much like the original game had. Civilization had basically died out there, but you still saw statues and bones that hinted at those that had come before. It’s a kind of story-telling I have great appreciation for.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: cagiepoo.8162

cagiepoo.8162

Speaking of environmental conditions I hope they do weather manipulation like severe storms, maybe an earthquake, fog, gale force winds… etc. I like what they have so far but variation is a good thing.

Fortitudinem et honorem

[iQ] Intrinsic Quality

Posted by: Ellewind.9640

Ellewind.9640

- Random Time LONG sandstorms from upper part of the map, hours, days, weeks? du no, nature is wild out there. Course some very light calm time spots too, can you imagine a map called “the eternal storm” looking on this way? by the six!

- Storms slow players movement and add some blindness degree (stats and on screen) maybe hard unique foes can appear on sandstorms or some ruins entrance become available only on that time.
- Caves as alternate way to go trough some parts of the desert, from underground part of the map (think on upper, mid and low floor in Divinity reach!) what amazing forgotten ruins or cites could be hidden under the sand, Lore related or maybe unknown lore? sky is the limit
- NEW wildlife related, please!
- Mystery and hidden danger sense!

thats all i can think now heh XD

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I think whenever there is a sandstorm, they should disable the map and the mini map.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

I think that there should be… a Crystal Desert?!

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Bolthar.7192

Bolthar.7192

I think it would be nice to see some variation in the weather in the game. I don’t see enough rain storms. People would complain to this that this would destroy frame rate, and it probably would, but if it was done right and you could select how strong you want these effects in the graphics options… I don’t think it would be as big of a problem to those worried about it.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I want desert map where we will have some big town that will look in Elona stile.I want pyramids,sandworms,scorpions,shelters and world boss there.I also would like to see some arena there which whould look like colosseum in purpose of expending on PVP (outside of zoned – open PVP) and PVE (queens gauntlet type).I would like some dungeon full with undead creatures and bosses.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Hello people of Tyria

What do u wish and think should be in an in-game desert?

For me… I think it would be nice if there would be some sandstorm events, where you need to search a shelter and hide.
Also i think it would be nice if sometimes while you walk you get stuck.. and get pulled down by the sand and find yourself in a ruin or something.

What ideas do you have to make it more interesting to run around in the map? (can also be general.. not only the desert.

I really like sandstorm events that involve the need to find shelter. I think it’s a good idea to give these environmental effects a feeling of dread. In real life you would also take shelter from a sandstorm. Additionally, if the dragon Krakatorrik affects the weather, there could also be supernatural dangers involved with a sandstorm. I also think it would be interesting if the map and the mini map were hidden during a sandstorm, so you can actually get lost.

Monster-wise, apart from the obvious sand worms, I can also imagine ant lions with funnel-shaped pits that players slide into. And perhaps siege devourers can be used as a method of transportation across difficult terrain.

By the way, quicksand would be very out of place in a dry area such as a desert.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I hope for a huge area with dunes and some oases or something similar to the areas in GW1, but huge. I mean about 3-4 times as big zone as the other zones. Otherwise it doesn’t feel big enough to be immersed.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I wonder if people would really find it fun to traverse in a zone which looks like their suggestions. Movement impairing conditions, poor sight, huge deserted areas… sounds awful to me.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

I remember the deserts from golden sun (for gba). They were harsh and irritating to traverse. But at the same time it was also a lot of fun. You could compare it with the road to Drox (droknar’s forge in gw1)

You feel isolated, and you get the feeling of mystery.

You probably wont get this feeling in GW2 because there will be hundreds of players running around.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

moony.5780

i got another nice suggestion which i think will be good for player who have fun in explorering and haveing different experience and fun in challanges and also these who want have it nice and easy without problems and no difficulty

at day time the desert is quite harsh with its temperature and u need to find a shelter every then and when…and sometimes u cant even travel completly alone but need to team up with at least 1 other player (or more) or with an npc caravan ( and i dont mean it in a way that it become so horrible and difficult to play..but to feel thasomething is different and have more fun….also these difficult situations should not be non stop..but from time to time)
but at night everything is nice and easy

that way u also feel that there is actually night and day in gw2…i just notice it on sylvaries when they glow

Azhure.1857

@ Dusty Moon

Yes, I actually was referring to energy as it is in GW2. Don’t know how it doesn’t make sense to you. The hot, dry, and unforgiving climate should be draining. Not in health – but in your ability to stay at peak energy. So that would end up with a player that would have to conserve his/her energy for dodging at the best of times. There are builds out there that rely heavily on dodging…. wonder how much of an impact an environmental condition like the one I suggested would have on players that use them.