Suggestion: District System (for MegaServer)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: peeweek.7582

peeweek.7582

Hello,

(Maybe this is not the right place for such a suggestion but anyway…)
As an improvement of the MegaServer, i would suggest a “zone selector” option, that would redirect players to a server of their own preference. (eg: English 01, German Roleplay 01, Spanish 02, International 01, etc.)

If I recall correctly, this was the case in the first Guild Wars when teleporting to outpost zones. Also the option was present onscreen during gameplay inside outposts.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Districts

This would lead players to play on zones of their own choice, also giving the option of gathering at a specific spot for some community event (Massive Roleplayers gathering, Tequatl Raid, etc.). Furthermore, this option could inform players if the waypoint they’re about to teleport to is contested or not in whether zone they are selecting.

Finally, the default choice for the district could be:

• first zone of player’s language that’s available
  • last recorded choice if not part of a group or first player of the group entering zone
  • same choice as the first player of the group that entered the zone
  • the zone where are present most of the guild members

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

this would make guild missions SO much easier…other than that I’m happy with whatever instance of a map I get.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

They have already stated that they thought about districts. However that may not be the best idea for this game.

Is there a reason why the District system wasnt adopted from guildwars 1 and used for the instances in GW2 map zones instead of the original overflow idea.

Guild Wars 1 is a very different game both in design and implementation. That’s all I can really say here.

There is a big downside to them implementing districts that a lot of people may not have thought of. Other community sites have discussed the downside and it is a big one. I will not go into them here for the same reason that the dev said “That’s all I can really say here.”

I will say this however. There is a reason why they limited guesting to two times in a 24 hour period. For that same reason we can not have districts.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Posted by: soistheman.7208

soistheman.7208

I don’t think district system doesn’t work well in GW2 despite when I heard the suggestion for the first time I also agreed with the idea. The reason why I think this doesn’t work is really it opens up abuse of the system. You can flip district to district to gather permanent rich ore nodes without ever move or use WP. You can do the same for events and champions.

Elementalist lover since GW1. It’s the only profession I play!

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I don’t think district system doesn’t work well in GW2 despite when I heard the suggestion for the first time I also agreed with the idea. The reason why I think this doesn’t work is really it opens up abuse of the system. You can flip district to district to gather permanent rich ore nodes without ever move or use WP. You can do the same for events and champions.

For the nodes, a fix would be to make the locations tied to the map not the instance, so if you mined them all on District 1, they’d all be mined on every District of that map so switching wouldn’t let you get more nodes.

For events and champs, perhaps a District switching CD would work, so that if you switched Districts in the last hour you can’t switch again until the hour expires?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

This is not true, It used to happen like you said about the nodes for overflow maps, but, was fixed. Districts would be basically the same thing as overflow and megaserver instances only difference that I can see is that with districts you get to choose where you’re put.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: peeweek.7582

peeweek.7582

I don’t really get what’s different between our new system and the gw1 district system. The megaserver is targetting a merging of the zones (to reduce server loads if i can make the guess, and help people play together in empty zones), currently many instances of the zones are existing but they are unnamed. Making districts out of them would be a user-friendly way for the player to manage them.

Since the update has reduced for example 20 server instances to probably 5 or 6 instances, don’t we have what it means to make a proper district system?