[Suggestion] Dye our commander tags!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kantharr.2308

Kantharr.2308

Hey guys, another suggestion from yours truly (I have way too many ideas lol). This suggestion is a simple but amazing aesthetic suggestion that the commanders out there would love:

Are you tired of the same ol color options when choosing your commander tags? Wouldn’t you want a variety of options like we do for our armor? Like a shade of green or pink for the ladies? If you answered yes then join me in the support for customizing our commander tags with dyes!

This could be a simple customization in the dyes section of our hero panel. We could save/create as many as the dyes in our collection so that we could change it on fly like we already do with our current tags.

I would put up pics for example as soon as I get off from work. Share your constructive criticism here and tell your friends about it!

(edited by Kantharr.2308)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I believe this comes under a bracket of “too much choice”.

I wouldn’t mind there being an extra three or four commander tag colours, as long as they are considerably different to the ones currently available. Green and black would make reasonable additions.

The problem with adding multiple shades of one colour is that it then becomes difficult to distinguish commanders apart at a glance, if there are multiple on a map.

I imagine it going something along the lines of this:
“Champ at green”
“Which green? There are 4?”
“Dark green!”

Yes- the counter argument is to use the commander’s name instead of tag colour.. but really, tag colour is so much more convenient overall.

Also, the benefit of the current colours is that from what I’ve heard, it’s easy for people with visual impairments/colour-blindness to differentiate between them.

TLDR; It seems like an unnecessary addition that would more likely hinder organisation than improve it.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

The problem with adding multiple shades of one colour is that it then becomes difficult to distinguish commanders apart at a glance, if there are multiple on a map.

“Champ at green”
“Dark green!”

The alternative is those 4 green being identical:

“Champ at green”
“Ehm… Wait a moment, I’ll check his name…”

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Yeah 4 works just fine. Otherwise the apart from the problems listed above, everyone will be turning on their icon just to show off their colour.

They’re not really “old colours” anyway. They only introduced the new ones last last year…

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

“Champ at green”
“Dark green!”

The alternative is those 4 green being identical:

“Champ at green”
“Ehm… Wait a moment, I’ll check his name…”

I see your point- if there’s more choice, there will be a smaller chance of having the exact same colour, right?

My theory though, is that given a choice, players will stick to their favourite colour that they’ve found and not want to change it, even when it makes the most sense to. I imagine this problem mostly with pink tags for some reason.

Right now, as far as I’m aware, there isn’t much content that requires more than 4 tags. Coincidentally, there are 4 different tag colours. As commanders tag up at Teq, for example, the last people to tag customarily chose the tags that haven’t already been taken.

Allow people to have a “favourite” tag colour that they get attached to and people will start bickering. Right now the tag colours are neutral in the sense that they have been chosen for you already.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I see your point- if there’s more choice, there will be a smaller chance of having the exact same colour, right?

My theory though, is that given a choice, players will stick to their favourite colour that they’ve found and not want to change it, even when it makes the most sense to. I imagine this problem mostly with pink tags for some reason.

Right now, as far as I’m aware, there isn’t much content that requires more than 4 tags. Coincidentally, there are 4 different tag colours. As commanders tag up at Teq, for example, the last people to tag customarily chose the tags that haven’t already been taken.

Allow people to have a “favourite” tag colour that they get attached to and people will start bickering. Right now the tag colours are neutral in the sense that they have been chosen for you already.

I see your point too, but the current system doesn’t stop me in any way from sticking to other colors. If I’m the only tag (or it’s not organised), I still use the “character theme color”, like purple on mesmer and so on. If it is organised and we need different colors, I will still change it anyway.

Custom colors have another benefit: if the “character theme color” of the commander matches the tag, it’s easier to distinguish and follow that commander.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Sorry but until they do something to make half the tags up not a bad joke, they shouldn’t do a THING with commander tags….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

Please no, the last thing I want to see is commander tags becoming a fashion statement. They are supposed to be helpful for identifying events, zergs, guild missions etc. Not being used by every single person on a map because it matches their equipment.

If 2 people are tagged up red and one is at a champ the person usually says “champ on my tag” and you quick pan your mouse over the tags you see and port to the one of the person who said it. It’s not that hard.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.