[Suggestion] Endless Mystery Cat Tonic Duration

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raiona.9023

Raiona.9023

Hello there! I have not seen a post about this elsewhere, so I apologize if it’s a repeat.

After a couple months of saving my laurels, I excitedly purchased an Endless Mystery Cat Tonic. I love it, it’s fun to pull out in groups or just to run around in in the world. It seems like a lot of effort went into it and I really feel that it was worth what I paid!

My one and only complaint about the tonic is the duration of the transformation. It only lasts 5 minutes, whereas most tonics seem to last 15.

Since it’s endless, this wouldn’t be a big deal, except that there are so many options. If you’re looking for a specific transformation, it can take a while to find the one you want – and then you only get to have it for 5 minutes before you have to go through the whole process again.

My question, then, is why this tonic’s duration so short? If there’s not a big reason, I would like to suggest that this tonic’s duration be extended it to 15 minutes to match other tonics.

Thank you for reading. I know it’s a pretty small thing, but it’s something I would really like to see improved. This is such a well done tonic, I want to be able to enjoy it to its fullest.

Suggestions from other players below include:
Time related:

• Eliminating tonic duration altogether, making it last an unlimited amount of time. (AnAspieKitten.5732)
  • Make the duration equivalent to the halo – 1 hour. (notebene.3190)

Other feature related:

• Adding the ability to use toy/consumable items with the tonic such as kites (Halcyon.7352) This may actually be a bug that it doesn’t work, because it appears to have used the item (costume brawl skills disappear, option appears to drop bundle, and you can use items like jar of bees) but it just doesn’t appear. The item appears when you drop the transformation.
  • Ability to choose which transformation you want (plok.5873 and donari.5237)
  • Add a new item, “Endless Mystery Cur Tonic” for canine transformation (Plok.5873)

(edited by Raiona.9023)

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Eh, we paid 100 golds for that (100 bags of t6 for our hundred laurels spent on the tonic). I’d agree that we should, as with other tonics, be able to be transformed for an unlimited amount of time. They already have day long buff, then why can’t they just do that too ?

No items in skillbar, random transformations, and everything, we would deserve to get that even more than other tonics. Combat tonics too. I seriously must miss ANet’s point with those things, they CAN make it avaible for forever, they just chose to put annoying limits on it for little to no reason.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Seems really bizarre one of the most expensive and hard to get tonics in the game has such a wimpy duration. Considering the cost it should last way longer.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Also please tell me why it’s one of the few tonics with which you cannot use consumable/toy items with?

I want to freakin’ run around with a kite as a tiger, what’s wrong with that Arenanet? I mean I can do it as a cow…

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Wow, really? I had always thought of getting it, now it seems really unattractive.

I’d expect it to last as long as the halo, which is an hour (unless you zone or use another tonic, which clears it).

Raiona.9023

Oh goodness, I didn’t even realize you couldn’t use the toy items with it! That’s also something I would like to see added. I agree, I would like to run around with a kite I’m going to start editing the first post to include some of these other improvement suggestions. Thank you for the support!

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I refuse to buy this tonic, unless they increase the duration, it’s too annoying, and it makes no sense.

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

I can’t believe people actually waste laurels on this stuff, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Tonic duration, while it’s sounds like something easy to implement, is not going to be something that Anet cares about. Using items like kites while transformed as a kitten is also not something they are going to care about.

Lastly, before you blindly spend 100 laurels on something, you should try doing some basic research beforehand. Or are you the type of person who would buy a new car or drop $1500 on a new TV without looking at reviews?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Mystery_Cat_Tonic

It clearly states transformations last 5 minutes. Do your homework before save up a bunch of currency and buy something.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I can’t believe people actually waste laurels on this stuff, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Tonic duration, while it’s sounds like something easy to implement, is not going to be something that Anet cares about. Using items like kites while transformed as a kitten is also not something they are going to care about.

Lastly, before you blindly spend 100 laurels on something, you should try doing some basic research beforehand. Or are you the type of person who would buy a new car or drop $1500 on a new TV without looking at reviews?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Mystery_Cat_Tonic

It clearly states transformations last 5 minutes. Do your homework before save up a bunch of currency and buy something.

If you don’t want ascended, there isn’t much else to spend laurals on.

Also, nobody here is complaining about lack of info about the tonic.

They are asking(and rightly so), for the limit to be lifted. Why are you so annoyed about people asking for this? (also anet has changed tonic durations before… so, they do care to an extent.)

calyx.9086

They are asking(and rightly so), for the limit to be lifted. Why are you so annoyed about people asking for this? (also anet has changed tonic durations before… so, they do care to an extent.)

Well, you could convert them into t6 mats. Or buy more ascended trinkets for alts. Neither of these are a good way to spend laurels either, but again, whatever floats your boat, I could honestly care less about what people spend their laurels on.

What I do care about is that Anet actually devotes development resources to the many bugs, balancing issues, new content, and new features that affect the majority of the player base. If they can do all of that, and increase the duration of a silly tonic, then fantastic.

And yes, the OP was clearly complaining that they bought the tonic for 100 laurels and then was surprised it only had a 5 minutes duration. Otherwise they could have made a forum post that says “I really want the mystery cat tonic, but I refuse to spend 100 laurels until the duration is increased and you can use items like kites, fix this oversight and I will buy it”.

Raiona.9023

Well, you could convert them into t6 mats. Or buy more ascended trinkets for alts. Neither of these are a good way to spend laurels either, but again, whatever floats your boat, I could honestly care less about what people spend their laurels on.

What I do care about is that Anet actually devotes development resources to the many bugs, balancing issues, new content, and new features that affect the majority of the player base. If they can do all of that, and increase the duration of a silly tonic, then fantastic.

And yes, the OP was clearly complaining that they bought the tonic for 100 laurels and then was surprised it only had a 5 minutes duration. Otherwise they could have made a forum post that says “I really want the mystery cat tonic, but I refuse to spend 100 laurels until the duration is increased and you can use items like kites, fix this oversight and I will buy it”.

Hello! Thank you for your additions. I did not research the tonic before I purchased it because I wanted it to be a mystery. I was so delighted with the tonic and so glad that I didn’t spoil any of the transformations for myself! It was also fun to discover that (unlike with many tonics) you can do things like walk backward and swim.

I am not complaining that I did not know about the duration beforehand, I am merely suggesting its improvement. Even if I had read beforehand that the tonic lasts only five minutes, I believe I still would have purchased it. I don’t regret the purchase in the slightest – I would just love to see it improved.

I absolutely recognize that this a low priority for Anet, but it’s still something I would like to see implemented, and so I decided to make this post.

Once again, thank you for your additions and helping bump this topic.

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Hey dude, I for one don’t care about your opinion. You are no judge of anyone here, so keep that condescending and aggresive tone to yourself and speak calmly or keep quiet.

I hardly see how changing the number 5 to 60 would be an issue. It’s just a number. Nothing else. I can hardly see many issues with changing a variable to what’s already in place on other tonics.

“I knew that game had glitches and balancing issues. Therefore I should complain about it before buying it because I’ve seen so many Warrior op QQ posts. Or buy it and shut my mouth, they’re busy with Living Story enough.”

We can complain without being judged by some random kid on the internet. You, on the other hand, have no business acting kitteny over something that simple that is a matter of QoL – you know, “fun”, which you’re supposed to have in a videogame.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

calyx.9086

Hey dude, I for one don’t care about your opinion. You are no judge of anyone here, so keep that condescending and aggresive tone to yourself and speak calmly or keep quiet.

I hardly see how changing the number 5 to 60 would be an issue. It’s just a number. Nothing else. I can hardly see many issues with changing a variable to what’s already in place on other tonics.

“I knew that game had glitches and balancing issues. Therefore I should complain about it before buying it because I’ve seen so many Warrior op QQ posts. Or buy it and shut my mouth, they’re busy with Living Story enough.”

We can complain without being judged by some random kid on the internet. You, on the other hand, have no business acting kitteny over something that simple that is a matter of QoL – you know, “fun”, which you’re supposed to have in a videogame.

Nothing in my previous comment was aggressive, but maybe a little condescending in that I think that’s a wasteful use of laurels, I’ll grant you that. Even so, I said whatever floats your boat, as in, I could care less about what someone else does. I stated my reasons for chiming in, and that’s resource allocation. I even commented that it seems like a simple change, and that if they can handle all of the other things that affect a larger majority of the player base and improve this as well, then great!

I’d ask you to be a bit less aggressive yourself, my comment was perfectly calm and collected. Just because someone has an opinion that doesn’t mesh with yours, doesn’t make someone a child. If you don’t like criticism, then feel free to offer counter arguments without making personal attacks.

You obviously think tonics are on the very important list of things to fix, and I disagree, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that.

calyx.9086

Hello! Thank you for your additions. I did not research the tonic before I purchased it because I wanted it to be a mystery. I was so delighted with the tonic and so glad that I didn’t spoil any of the transformations for myself! It was also fun to discover that (unlike with many tonics) you can do things like walk backward and swim.

I am not complaining that I did not know about the duration beforehand, I am merely suggesting its improvement. Even if I had read beforehand that the tonic lasts only five minutes, I believe I still would have purchased it. I don’t regret the purchase in the slightest – I would just love to see it improved.

I absolutely recognize that this a low priority for Anet, but it’s still something I would like to see implemented, and so I decided to make this post.

Once again, thank you for your additions and helping bump this topic.

Ahh, it sounded like another case of buyer’s remorse that we see so often on the forums. I know I’ve seen this exact same type of complaint about the Infinite Watchnight Tonic.

Glad you are happy with your purchase despite it’s deficiencies, hopefully Anet can eventually get around to adjusting that time limit for you.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I too own the cat tonic and have had many a good roam about with guildies while transformed. I see nothing wrong with the 5 minute time limit, although for some of the longer jumping puzzles (white norn can’t jump), I would appreciate it if they increased the timer to 15 minutes.

Will it make me not use it or regret my purchase, no. As a minor QOL change, I would like to see it done, so long as it doesn’t take away from other areas of development.

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

I second the thread opener request, a longer, perhaps harmonized morph tonic duration would be nice to have.

While we’re at it: multiple morphs tonics could be so much more conveniently usable if they allowed to choose per hotbar. We’re able to repeatedly use them until we receive the intended morph anyway, it is just annoying this way.

Edit: hey, were’s my long requested [Endless Mystery Cur Tonic]? Can’t wait to run with a pack of dog-morphed players and sing “Who let the dogs out” in TS. ^.^

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

(edited by Plok.5873)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I bought my Cat Tonic before they nerfed the duration (I think they did, anyway, I remember it lasting longer at first. Certainly there was a nerf to prevent you from swapping from cat to cat without becoming bipedal in between). It was my very first laurel purchase and almost no one had one at the time.

Then it bugged so using it hard crashed the game … that sort of ended my frequent use anyway as I still don’t trust it.

But yes, 15 minutes and toy use would make sense on something that takes 100 days of grinding to get (less time when monthlies are involved, true). Also there’s no reason for RNG choice of form, please get rid of the “mystery” part. Let us decide if we want to be a tiger or a lion or a little baby cat.

Raiona.9023

Thanks for the continued suggestions and support! I’ve broken up the “other suggestions” part of my first post to ones related to time limit and other feature suggestions, for organization.

As for whether or not the duration has been changed, the duration was added to the wiki on July 3, 2013 and was 5 minutes at that time – so it’s certainly been at this limit for about a year at least. Can’t say for certain what it was before that, though.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Definitely the best laurel purchase I’ve made.
I personally don’t really care much about the time limit, to be honest, but I agree that 5 minutes is way too low. It should permanent, too be honest, or at least last an hour or so.

Though I guess the randomness is a bit funny and interesting at first, sometimes I just want to transform to a specific thing :P
Maybe it should bring up a menu when you use it, to select the transformation you want, or just select a random one.

Since it’s infinite, we can already, in a way, transform to whatever we want, but it just takes a bit of time and it’s frustrating, so I don’t see why they shouldn’t change it.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I’m now reaching the point of no return getting the cat tonic, and I really see the inability to use toys with it as a problem. The 5-minute limit makes little sense, too. After all, I’m sacrificing several ascended trinkets/100g to get it, and as a reward for being a loyal player, this should better be fixed.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I’m now reaching the point of no return getting the cat tonic, and I really see the inability to use toys with it as a problem. The 5-minute limit makes little sense, too. After all, I’m sacrificing several ascended trinkets/100g to get it, and as a reward for being a loyal player, this should better be fixed.

Yeah… Personally, the tonic now spends most of it’s time stuffed away in one of my banker’s bags. The toys thing irks me greatly. Considering how difficult it is to get a specific form via RNG, the five minute duration is annoying.

Also, I’d recommend guild commendations for specifically ascended accessories.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Yeah all tonics should last 15 min.

The Burninator

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Oh I wonder why you can’t use toys with the tonic on… that should be changed.

Raiona.9023

Thanks to everyone for the continued support/suggestions!

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

Cats are so overrated.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Necro’ing this thread instead of making a new one. I just bought this on a whim of silliness. I’ve clicked for 15 minutes now and still haven’t gotten the Tiger. The wiki doesn’t state anything about rarities. Then considered that it’s all for 5 minutes of fun only??? I really do hope this item get’s a little attention considering it’s high price. Take the “mystery” out of it and make it a flat cycle thru design. Then increase the duration to 15 or more minutes please? I’d like to play, not stand idle clicking and more clicking.

In case anyone adds to the “waste of money” discussion, I’m aware of the cost. I gave up on Legendaries already so it’s no biggie. And, I had almost 400 Laurels just going to waste. I was looking for something to add some spice and QoL to the game.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.