Suggestion: Essence of Luck -> Unbound Magic

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

Once an account reaches max Magic Find from Luck, I was thinking it might be nice if consuming Essence of Luck after that point would produce Unbound Magic.

I reached max MF from Luck a while back. I have been saving the Essence of Luck in my bank in case the cap was raised or some other use I was interested in was added to the game.

I think converting it to Unbound Magic would be a good solution. Thoughts?

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

That’s an interesting idea. Not sure it would have to be after max MF though either. It would simply mean EoL would be a new type of currency, which it kind of already is, but have more than one reason. This would probably need some stats run on numbers players can’t see to understand current unbound magic supply compared to EoL generated and how this would impacted the items gated behind the vendors needed Unbound magic as part of the price. If the new zone uses a dual currency system with each map a different single component but common second the same concept could work there.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

As someone who is maxed on luck, some sink would be nice, and this one wouldn’t negativity affect other markets.

Right now my only luck sink is lunar new year converting to red lanterns, which is calender locked around the event.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

All of us who have max MF would like to see a sink. Unfortunately, it’s very unlikely that it’s going to be anything as ‘nice’ as unbound magic. ANet wouldn’t want people to feel under pressure to max MF or to feel forced to choose between more MF or more unbound. It’s always meant as a way to provide additional value to fine/mw items and allow people to get better loot the more they play, without having to do much.

My favorite idea is to include it in the recipes for guild decorations. That allows veterans to contribute substantially, without always making a sacrifice. And, at the same time, it puts relatively little pressure on novices to choose luck vs immediate reward. It also provides a minor opportunity for people to monetize excess luck, by joining a guild temporarily to donate it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Magic find=you “might” get slightly better drops so a rare instead of masterwork.
Unbound magic is endless T6 mats=a totally broken idea.

Yes, it sucks to be capped in something, but that is how games work. There is no reason to change it.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I have previously suggested that exotic Luck should be able to be substituted in a random gear Mystic Forge attempt, similar to a Mystic Forge Stone, with the added benefit of doubling the chance for a rarity promotion (i.e. if you throw 4 rare swords in, you have a 20% chance of getting an exotic sword. If you throw 3 rare swords and # exotic luck, you have a 40% chance of getting an exotic sword.)

This would give Luck a sink without significantly impacting the game’s economy.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Hmmm… maybe once you max the passive MF, consuming it could instead give you a fixed-size, per-character, duration-stacking MF buff on top of that? Something like 5s per point of luck consumed? So, nothing too crazy, no fundamental change to what luck does, but also there is no real cap on how much you need.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Hmmm… maybe once you max the passive MF, consuming it could instead give you a fixed-size, per-character, duration-stacking MF buff on top of that? Something like 5s per point of luck consumed? So, nothing too crazy, no fundamental change to what luck does, but also there is no real cap on how much you need.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have previously suggested that exotic Luck should be able to be substituted in a random gear Mystic Forge attempt, similar to a Mystic Forge Stone, with the added benefit of doubling the chance for a rarity promotion (i.e. if you throw 4 rare swords in, you have a 20% chance of getting an exotic sword. If you throw 3 rare swords and # exotic luck, you have a 40% chance of getting an exotic sword.)

That would have a huge impact on the economy, allowing luck to stand in for hard-to-obtain mystic forge stones and increase you chances of an upgrade.

I could imagine include a luck-purchased item with the same recipe and increase your chance modestly, perhaps four rare swords + luck having a 21% of being exotic. That would still affect prices, but not nearly as much.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I disagree with this. Unbound Magic is a Living Story season 3 currency. Two years from now, there will be another currency that people want.

They need to do something with the EoL stuff, but it shouldn’t be tied down to one segment of the game.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

id orefer a magic find cap increase to 500

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As long as the amount of luck needed grows geometrically instead of just linearly. Otherwise, we’d just max out sooner, if not later.

mtpelion.4562

That would have a huge impact on the economy, allowing luck to stand in for hard-to-obtain mystic forge stones and increase you chances of an upgrade.

I could imagine include a luck-purchased item with the same recipe and increase your chance modestly, perhaps four rare swords + luck having a 21% of being exotic. That would still affect prices, but not nearly as much.

It would only be a stand in for the random forge, not for any actual recipes (which, let’s be honest, are the only reason to use a Mystic Forge Stone). Plus it would require a LOT of combined luck for a single forge. So no, it would NOT have a huge impact on the economy but WOULD add value to essences of luck.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Once an account reaches max Magic Find from Luck, I was thinking it might be nice if consuming Essence of Luck after that point would produce Unbound Magic.

I reached max MF from Luck a while back. I have been saving the Essence of Luck in my bank in case the cap was raised or some other use I was interested in was added to the game.

I think converting it to Unbound Magic would be a good solution. Thoughts?

I think it would be a better solution if the “Luck”-items would be removed for players with maxed out Magic Find, so those players would not have to deal with this (for them) useless items.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

+1 to this. That’s a pretty neat suggestion. It plays into its role of increasing Magic Find while not adding a significant advantage as some pointed out if it was converted into Unbound Magic.

It could be a really minor buff, too, such as just +10-15% or so to Magic Find when luck is consumed; duration increased as you suggested, per luck consumed, and being bound on the character that consumes it.

Possibly have different tiers of luck provide extended durations, so that they all even out and different qualities do not provide the same, flat duration. Fine 1s, Masterwork 5s, Rare 10s, Exotic 20s, and Legendary 50s.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

As long as the amount of luck needed grows geometrically instead of just linearly. Otherwise, we’d just max out sooner, if not later.

There are times when diminishing returns works and when it doesn’t it. To me here is one it does. Ideally extend the cap and have each percent above the current cap be a another doubling or more of the previous requirements.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It would only be a stand in for the random forge, not for any actual recipes (which, let’s be honest, are the only reason to use a Mystic Forge Stone). Plus it would require a LOT of combined luck for a single forge. So no, it would NOT have a huge impact on the economy but WOULD add value to essences of luck.

Based on how you’ve phrased it, there would be a huge impact on the economy. If nothing else, it would make industrial production of precursors even more profitable than it already is.

mtpelion.4562

Based on how you’ve phrased it, there would be a huge impact on the economy. If nothing else, it would make industrial production of precursors even more profitable than it already is.

How fast do you think people can assemble 250 exotic luck essences?

Wolfheart.7483

To be clear, my unbound magic suggestion was just the first thing that came to mind. There are countless ways a use could be made for it.

The idea of increasing the cap while making it take longer to increase the percentage is a good one.

I don’t like the idea of guild decorations, though, simply because those of us not in a position to utilize that would still be left with nothing to do with EoL. If something is implemented as a sink for excess EoL it should be something every player can utilize.

Wolfheart.7483

Magic find=you “might” get slightly better drops so a rare instead of masterwork.
Unbound magic is endless T6 mats=a totally broken idea.

Yes, it sucks to be capped in something, but that is how games work. There is no reason to change it.

It isn’t a broken idea. Unbound magic can be had quite easily, especially with UM gathering tools that work on every gathering node in the game. There is no daily limit to UM gathering so being able to exchange EoL for it doesn’t break anything. I didn’t suggest what ratio the exchange should be so the exchange rate could be tweaked so people don’t have a million UM right away. It could be 1:1 for exotic EoL, for example.

Wolfheart.7483

I disagree with this. Unbound Magic is a Living Story season 3 currency. Two years from now, there will be another currency that people want.

They need to do something with the EoL stuff, but it shouldn’t be tied down to one segment of the game.

That was just an example. Obviously the idea could be expanded over time. For example, a vendor that trades EoL for UM and also for other future currencies similar to UM.

Or, maybe after level 300 MF-from-luck, they let EoL start a new enhancement tier for Karma/.Gold bonuses much like achievement chests reward at certain levels.