Suggestion: Event Participation and Tagging

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

From my experiences of the current Mordrem Invasion event and Silverwastes, I feel like event tagging is becoming a more prevalent problem. There are obvious reasons for tagging; being to gain additional rewards for doing so.

My problem with the current event rewards system and ability to tag events is that it is clearly a byproduct of a system which fails to reward meaningful participation in events.

To clarify, by event rewards I am referring to bonus chests (Silverwastes) and the boon stacks (Mordrem Invasion).

I’d like to suggest that in future, the current Gold/Silver/Bronze participation levels are used as a means to reward engaging in events and completing events rather than tagging.

The Gold/Silver/Bronze system is already used for currencies, karma, and experience. With the new wallet, it may be possible to award Bandit Crests / Mordrem Blooms etc using the same system as Karma, which I think would be a significant improvement on current solutions.

Bonus Chests could still be awarded as alternatives to monster drops as in the current system, but with the main incentive being higher currency/token rewards for Gold level event completion.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Jax.4903

Jax.4903

I can’t be the only one who feels Mordrem Invasion battle system is backwards? Anyone who hopes to earn enough blooms for a decent reward in this short 3-day event is forced into an endless cycle of tagging an enemy and immediately waypointing to the next battle.

I don’t blame people for playing like this because A-Net has given us no other option if you consider the stacks needed to obtain an acceptable amount of blooms at the end of each invasion.

This is definitely not fun for new players, nor does it encourage teamwork among veterans. Countless times, I’ve been in Mordrem battles abandoned and lost because too many players waypoint. Instead players should have been rewarded with more stacks for committing to each battle and seeing it through from start to finish before leaving for the next.

Reward Distribution (from Dulfy)

You get 20 bonus Mordrem Blooms per day per map and a Vine-Covered Crate containing Memories of Scarlet Box or Arid Dusty Satchel.In addition, depending on your individual event completion, you can get some extras.

If you get 0-4 stacks of the Invasion Defender buff, you get 0 Mordrem Blooms
If you get 5-9 stacks of the Invasion Defender buff, you get 5 Mordrem Blooms
If you get 10-19 stacks of the Invasion Defender buff, you get 10 Mordrem Blooms
If you get 20-30+ stacks of the Invasion Defender buff, you get 15 Mordrem Blooms

This means that you can get 60 Mordrem Blooms from the daily for 3 maps and then anywhere from 0-15 Mordrem Blooms per map depending on how many Invasion Defender buff stacks you get.

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

i tink bosses an many event mobs die super fast due to zergs. wat culd have ben happining is dat baddies die so fas dat it was real tuff to get enuff dmg fo u to git any credit fo the event

rather dan fixing core issue hear, tey jus dropped the time/investment u had to put in to get a gold reward.

the result is wat wi hav today. it taks very lil effort to git the reward credit, sew rather dan staying and doing whole events, peeple are rewarded moar for slight participation in 1 event an movin on to tha next event

Posted by: White Hunter.3416

White Hunter.3416

tagging an enemy and immediately waypointing to the next battle.

2 entire maps working like that. No one cares. (SW and DT)
4-day small event have this mechanic. 1000+ posts in forums. WTF?

Posted by: Kiteisa.3189

Kiteisa.3189

You think people don’t see the maps that do this? Its seen. People don’t like it, unless they are the ones doing it. Why do you think there is so much irritation from it?

Nottsgman’s Girl ~ Half of the Dynamic Duo

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

Yea its a bad setup. In other events you got reward for how well the whole map did during events, not individual achievement (which obviously gets cheated on). Im not even gonna do this stupid event. Did it twice yesterday with no reward and 5 blossoms are just too little and if you dont want to waste your irl life you have to cheat by doing what the OP described. Im just out…

Posted by: Jax.4903

Jax.4903

You think people don’t see the maps that do this? Its seen. People don’t like it, unless they are the ones doing it. Why do you think there is so much irritation from it?

Kiteisa is exactly right! You will NEVER have a successful Breach & Vinewraith in Silverwaste without organization, teamwork, and commitment to each Fort & Lane.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

People care on those two maps as well but it is less efficient due to a lack of waypoints. It was also more common during the breach before they made the change that prevents you from tagging all the champs and then popping extractors as the bosses are killed. Those maps also run in a continuous cycle instead of having 30 minute and 1 hour breaks. SW has a short break too but even that can be circumvented by switching instances.

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

And at 20 stacks there’s no reason to even bother anymore, just wait on timer to end.

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

And at 20 stacks there’s no reason to even bother anymore, just wait on timer to end.

IMO, if you reach 20 stacks, you have nothing done except tagging and way-pointing.
I did an invasion together with a guildie today in Brisban and we almost did not get to 10, because we committed to staying at an event until it was finished.

The individual tags are a bad idea. The total number of events on the map should count, because that would encourage smart game play and coordination.
The worst thing of all is the example this invasion event gives to new players that came to GW2 after it went F2P, because they are encouraged to play selfishly, have to try to “steal bombs” from others players, get confused from hopping around WP they might not have unlocked to get higher stacks for rewards and might not be able to get rewards, because they are locked behind gold costs on top of the cost of blooms.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

commitment never was once rewarded

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Exile.2745

Exile.2745

Poorly planned event. Chances are some new guy has been hired in some middle-management spot and this was the design he gave the devs. There is no way in the world anyone with any background in game design was behind this, I guarantee it.

edit: and if I’m wrong they really shouldn’t be in game design.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Chances are this was a fairly recycled mechanic that didn’t require a terribly huge amount of coding to pull off and were able to give “something” for players waiting for Oct. 23rd.

I mean, this event looks like the skeleton of the Scarlet Invasions, honestly.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

people asked for events fast and now, but what they forget that “the team” is “fully” concentrated on the upcoming expansion release, therefore all people have to suffer with “badly” planned event in between with little to no connection to real gameplay.

It is sad but since launch till now, guild wars has suffered a lot of negative attention, and I really miss looking forward to upcoming events, just not so exciting anymore as it was around launch.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

What ever happened to looting rewards from defeated foes?

Even if they still wanted to do the whole vendor/currency thing…. they should have made the Mordrem foes themselves drop the blooms.

That way players are awarded for fighting instead of just running around the map tagging events.

This system is bad and Anet should feel bad.

Attachments:

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

What ever happened to looting rewards from defeated foes?

Even if they still wanted to do the whole vendor/currency thing…. they should have made the Mordrem foes themselves drop the blooms.

That way players are awarded for fighting instead of just running around the map tagging events.

This system is bad and Anet should feel bad.

cause this way they can control exactly how many of the currency u git. if it was drops of baddies, some players might really coord a tag, kill, run and get more currency dan anet wanted u to git

Posted by: bacon.9461

bacon.9461

I don’t spend much time in SW or DT because I don’t care to grind. Probably why I’ll never have a legendary.

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

i tink bosses an many event mobs die super fast due to zergs. wat culd have ben happining is dat baddies die so fas dat it was real tuff to get enuff dmg fo u to git any credit fo the event

rather dan fixing core issue hear, tey jus dropped the time/investment u had to put in to get a gold reward.

the result is wat wi hav today. it taks very lil effort to git the reward credit, sew rather dan staying and doing whole events, peeple are rewarded moar for slight participation in 1 event an movin on to tha next event

Wow… Is this deliberate spelling trolling, or do you actually write like this?

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Because it’s likely when tested in house that they played as they thought players would/should play, till they finished off each one, rather than try to game the reward mechanism by running around and tagging each.

They simply don’t think selfishly enough.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t spend much time in SW or DT because I don’t care to grind. Probably why I’ll never have a legendary.

That is common misconception about legendaries.

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I’ll reiterate what I’ve said elsewhere. Hit and run is not rewarded, nor is commitment punished. At least not in such black and white terms. “Hit and run” as it is described is unsustainable without some committed individuals completing events. With that being the case, how you view player behavior in events is a matter of perspective.

Is Anet punishing players completing events by seeing them through from beginning to end or are they allowing players to exploit the event system by not doing the former? Anet does not encourage players to exploit, although this is a point of contention that shows up a lot in these kinds of complaints. In fact, many aspects of this event design are lessons learned from unintended/unwelcome player behavior in older events. Mobs not dropping loot is one of them, preventing players from zerging with the explicit goal of spawning champs to farm is another, having a personal buff that disappears when hopping maps also is a deterrent to another previously identified issue. All of these issues and more were player critiques that popped up in the past while Anet was experimenting with event design. Anet doesn’t follow this reward model with all events, so there is a time and place for enemies to drop loot and such, but it’s pretty clear that they have been watching players and how they behave in order to steer them to play “the right way.”

They made a public statement saying they heard us, and if this event is any indication, they have been listening. There are still issues to iron out and the key issue brought up in this thread is one that plagues almost all events throughout Tyria that reward participation through damage done, not just this one. They’ll come up with some other idea to curb this sort of behavior eventually.

(edited by nightwulf.1986)

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Must be something wrong with me .
I took part in this event yesterday and found it was great fun.
I have no idea what the rewards are or what they are for , but who cares.
I play this game to have fun, and not to collect rewards.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Because it’s likely when tested in house that they played as they thought players would/should play, till they finished off each one, rather than try to game the reward mechanism by running around and tagging each.

They simply don’t think selfishly enough.

Could be. But when considering any system, it’s always smart to consider boundary conditions.

Moreover, it has been shown in numerous games that many, if not most, players will do whatever they perceive provides the best reward, regardless of how tedious. I still laugh thinking about the Aion summer fun event that gave awards just for being logged in, which resulted in cities full of characters jumping up and down.