[Suggestion] Experience Accumulator for Alts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

This idea has been brought up at some point in the past, but I decided to rework it a bit and review again with the new leveling changes in mind, both NPE restrictions and different (not cost-efficient) leveling items. I’ve recently finished leveling the 4th character to 80, and I can say that the best way to level a character for me at the moment despite all the XP and Killstreak boosters is… playing PvP on another character and getting Tomes of Knowledge.

So, what is an Experience Accumulator?

An item which, when activated for the first time, gives you a buff and consumes the levels your character gets, and when activated on another character for the second time, returns the levels at a 3:2 ratio (so, you receive 2 levels for each 3 accumulated levels; extra levels are preserved inside the accumulator). The “level”, not “experience”, functionality is required to deal with uneven experience required for different levels.

Experience Accumulator can be forged in the Mystic Forge and requires:

• 1x Gift of Exploration
  • 1x Gift of Battle
  • 1x Gift of Competition – can be acquired free of charge upon reaching rank 20 in PvP.
  • 1x Gift of Experience, requires:
    • 1x Vision Crystal
    • 1x Mists Stone
    • 1x Crown of Laurels, can be acquired for 10 Laurels and 100’000 karma by a level 80 character only. The amount of Crown of Laurels required can be discussed, but with all the other stuff in the recipe in mind, I believe that a single one is enough. Can be accompanied in some way by a completed Personal Story requirement.
    • 1x Gift of Dungeon Offerings. Ideally, I would prefer Gift of Dungeon Offerings to be replaced by Gift of Gauntlet which is granted upon beating all bosses and Liadri in a dedicated Gauntlet instance, but I see that it would require a lot of extra coding; however, it would be more skill- than grind-or-get-carried-or-buy-a-path-based as in the dungeon case. Alternatively, Gift of Gauntlet can replace Crown of Laurels. Gift of Dungeon Offerings requires:

On the other hand, this looks like something to forge a precursor or a commander tag…

Why Experience Accumulator should exist?

• Because many people think that, despite ANet’s initial intentions, the real game starts at 80, not at character creation. Everything else is a drag – you can’t have your skills, your traits, your gear/runes/sigils, your looks for a long time, and you have to do things you’ve done several times already over and over again.
  • Because you can already get Tomes of Knowledge and (skill point Scrolls) for PvPing (and PvEing depending on the current LS rewards) on another character.
  • Because you can already level significantly by crafting, which is something that requires no skill but a lot of gold to buy mats and a browser to open gw2crafts.net.
  • Because you do not need a month of camping a character to learn how to play it because
    • you know how to read and simply study Wiki and guides,
    • you’ve been seeing what other classes do since you first started playing,
    • most skills aren’t that different between classes apart from the looks and names,
    • you understand that there’s little point in “learning” something that is available for several levels but you won’t be using at level 80 – which is very often the case with the trait changes in mind,
    • you understand that the only way to learn playing a level 80 character efficiently is playing a level 80 character.
  • It has an initial time/material sink, especially the Gift of Exploration sink tied to the most expensive items in the game.
  • It’s optional.
20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Lishtenbird.2814

Finally found the original thread, as well as several others with the similar “make leveling alts easier” idea:

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Despite the fact that I strongly disagree about the approval that there is no game b4 80, I believe that such a thing would not hurt. But would not bring any benefit, as well. Therefore, it is simply useless. If u really want get 80lvl it can be done in 2-3 evenings. The game is oversaturated with all sorts of boosters and scrolls that simplify lvling several times. I have about 2.5 dozens of maxed characters, though I’m playing only 2-3 hours in the evenings. If you add the ability to lvl the characters without even logging on them, the game will turn into some kind of soulless grnid. And, what is worse, sink deeper into a completely armless comrades who absolutely do not understand their own profession and use everything that has no CD. Sure, you’ve seen these.
What really would be useful – some kind of account level, such as what on WvW now, but more… global. (like “Paragon”, you know where)

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

Lishtenbird.2814

I believe that such a thing would not hurt. But would not bring any benefit, as well. Therefore, it is simply useless. I have about 2.5 dozens of maxed characters, though I’m playing only 2-3 hours in the evenings.

“I don’t need it, so it’s useless!” Yeah, been there, seen that…

I’m happy for you that you have enough +20 scrolls and tomes of knowledge. But you know, not everybody played since beta or made all characters at their first day or plays only PvP daily. And these people do not have stacks of tomes. If I push it, I can get 2 tomes per evening from PvP; do you think I gonna enjoy 40 evenings of pure PvP as a primarily PvE player? Is it the definition of “fun”? That’s why we need alternative ways of leveling.

If u really want get 80lvl it can be done in 2-3 evenings. The game is oversaturated with all sorts of boosters and scrolls that simplify lvling several times. If you add the ability to lvl the characters without even logging on them, the game will turn into some kind of soulless grnid.

I’ve tried it. Leveled with boosters and food and such, but it’s impossible to level in 2-3 evening by only playing the character… which is, incidentally, that very soulless grind you mentioned.

And, what is worse, sink deeper into a completely armless comrades who absolutely do not understand their own profession and use everything that has no CD. Sure, you’ve seen these.

I’ve seen a 15k AP guy with a legendary and world completion who asked me “What’s a sharpening stone?” I’m also seeing the pew-pew knockbacking rangers daily and hate them. Will my change let more of these people play here? No.

If you look closely, the requirements for crafting an Experience Accumulator mean that you should play all aspects of the game for a long time and will most likely know the game well enough to learn a new profession in a couple of days.

What really would be useful – some kind of account level, such as what on WvW now, but more… global. (like “Paragon”, you know where)

…which is called “Achievement Points” and is considered by many to be the worst measure of experience of the player.