Suggestion: Female/male armour toggle

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Some armor sets are completely diferent between races too. Look at Winged armor between Asura and Charr. The difference is staggering. Asura use the male versions, yet it looks far more feminine on the Asura…

This stuff should really just be options, for reason I posted about before.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: HarlequinWild.4359

HarlequinWild.4359

There’s several sets that share name but are nothing alike between each other. It’s one of the many inconsistencies you’ll see in Guild Wars.

I would really love more consistency between items.

That would be a cool approach

…but adapting versions of existing pieces for both genders and all races, but it would still be a lot of work.

As I’ve said only for the females (for now) and only three of the races. And to start with probably just the light starter armour. Followed by the tier 3 racial armour.

It’s mainly the iconic pieces that I’d want this change done to – the armour sets which strongly represent the heart of guild wars 2.

HarlequinWild.4359

… A simple solution that would avoid the problems presented by attempting to put armor on a new kind of frame would be to merely create new armors…

That is an option, but I think that some of the armour that has the biggest differences is starter pieces and iconic pieces like the tier 3 sets. And these are at the heart of the game, so I think they deserve to have some love.

Plenty of people want to skimpy but the problem is that there is no choice to the contrary. Give people a choice that’s easy to take…and you win. Congrats. Whoohoo.

Totally

(But please more feminine armor for charr and asura please please)

On a personal note that has nothing to do with the overall thread – I love the fact that charr and asura don’t give two kittens about gender. They simply don’t distinguish and the idea of there being some clothes that only boys should wear and some clothes that only girls should wear is something they’d find odd. Unless I misunderstood you and you meant more feminine armour for both genders in which case sweet, I totally agree (like a frilly frock for both male and female charr) – I might actually make a male if that was available.

(edited to remove an extraneous end quote)

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

On a personal note that has nothing to do with the overall thread – I love the fact that charr and asura don’t give two kittens about gender. They simply don’t distinguish and the idea of there being some clothes that only boys should wear and some clothes that only girls should wear is something they’d find odd. Unless I misunderstood you and you meant more feminine armour for both genders in which case sweet, I totally agree (like a frilly frock for both male and female charr) – I might actually make a male if that was available.

What I meant was that the charr and asura use what at first glance seems to be androgyny for their armor, but at second glance all of their armor is male. Oftentimes when people aim for no gender, what they’re really saying is a non-sexual male, rarely something that includes feminine qualities. Masculinity is seen to be the baseline and thus androgynous. As such, I believe we need more feminine armors for both asura and the charr because they are literally all masculine. I have no problem with female characters wearing masculine clothing, in fact I support that, but when there is no choice for feminine armor there becomes a problem.

Posted by: Halthur.9654

Halthur.9654

My Engineer covers up nicely.
And my Ranger gives just the right amount of sex appeal,
with the functionality of leather armor.

It all a matter of prospective, and the look you want is out there.
And with the up coming wardrobe system, it should/will be a lot
easier you find that look you want.

Attachments:

ANet 2012 – Play how you want to play.

ANet 2014 – Play how we tell you to play.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

This is not an “easy issue” like some people seem to make it sound.

You’re basically asking for them to give female characters 2 completely different visual appearances to toggle for every single set of armor in the game. You can’t just take the male armor and slap it on females, the armor dimensions are completely different between the two in multiple aspects (the most obvious of which is the chest, but its not the only difference). Many sets would need a decent amount of modification at the very least, and some of them would need to be completely reworked.

That all equates to a LOT of extra work given the number of armor sets in the game. And that’s just modeling work, that’s not even taking into account the infrastructure they’d need to add in order to create a toggle option that would call up the desired appearance, store the user’s chosen appearance in the database and output that to other players, and so on.

And given the fact that they won’t even take the time to fix Charr (and to a lesser excent Asura) armor period, when the modifications for those would probably be less work than a “female armor toggle” in terms of modeling and obviously in terms of infrastructure… yah, it seems extremely unlikely at best. And I’d consider it secondary to fixing the above issues as well. I would consider fixing the armor of an entire race to be more important than letting females look “less sexy”. Though I suppose the population numbers would probably disagree with me, since human / sylvari / norn females probably make up the largest chunk of the characters in the game (I would guess, anyway).

All that isn’t to say I’m specifically against the idea, but I feel it might be too much work for too little return, and I feel there are other similar issues that have a priority.

HarlequinWild.4359

What I meant was that the charr and asura use what at first glance seems to be androgyny for their armor, but at second glance all of their armor is male. Oftentimes when people aim for no gender, what they’re really saying is a non-sexual male, rarely something that includes feminine qualities. Masculinity is seen to be the baseline and thus androgynous. As such, I believe we need more feminine armors for both asura and the charr because they are literally all masculine. I have no problem with female characters wearing masculine clothing, in fact I support that, but when there is no choice for feminine armor there becomes a problem.

Feminine armour for both male and female?

I think a problem is that what is often considered masculine is merely practical. No practical female-specific clothes jump out at me. The men already wear skirts (not lacy ones) on the male armour. Would it just be more intricate decoration? Or more accessories like bows and lace?

HarlequinWild.4359

..You’re basically asking for them to give female characters 2 completely different visual appearances to toggle for every single set of armor in the game…

I’ve clarified this point a few times and edited my original post with it – I’m not asking for every armour set. Only the starter light set, and the tier 3 with the biggest differences (initially). It would be great if they then continued to work through the ones with a big difference gradually, but only when they have time.

It’s mainly the iconic armour that I’d like to have the option on. What you start with is your first impression, so important. And the tier 3 racial armour is the pinnacle and paragon of the race – so iconic and important. I think these sets deserve to feel more equal and welcoming.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

To be clear I mean showing the skin of the male armour on the female frame.

From a developer point of view it would probably be easier to make it again from scratch, it’s not as simple as adapt to a female body.

I think the biggest problem in GW2 is the variety, not just of races, but body types within the races and genders themselves.
Other MMOs (without saying any names) just swap (or paint) the head and call it a different race.
I applaud GW2 for doing it the way it does but unfortunately it means a piece of armor that looks the same across all races and genders (like radiant gloves for example) needs a lot of different versions, and something like a chest piece goes without saying.

So personally I’d like that time to be put into new armor sets instead of reworking old ones for the opposed gender.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Linnes.2678

Linnes.2678

“MUH FEMINISM!”

Why can’t I have my male character look like a crossdresser then? Seriously…? There are plenty of options out there for female characters to dress appropriately.

Linnes- 80 RNG, Linnes the Lucky- 80 ENG, Linnes the Silver- 80 GRD, Linnes the Gold- 80 WAR

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

“MUH FEMINISM!”

Why can’t I have my male character look like a crossdresser then? Seriously…? There are plenty of options out there for female characters to dress appropriately.

Was thinking the same why is that everytime a women start a tread by mention that she is a Women. Like it give her more power to be heared.

just ask for more armor and some which the style u want. I dont see why u try look it bad when females look sexy in compare to other games is GW2 a church anyway …

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

“MUH FEMINISM!”

Fair enough if you want that option but somehow I doubt many guys actually want to get given the same trash women are expected to wear.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

I don’t see what’s wrong in asking for a non skimpy version of the armor.
I’d have bought that Phalanx armor on my female characters if it wasn’t so kitten different from the male counterpart. They just seem like two completely different armor sets. The male is clad in heavy armor while the female has open spots everywhere.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I think this might be too much effort for too little return, but I am looking forward to something…

If this goes the other way, then hilarity can ensue when you change male armor to female armor on male characters. It is old school British humor, but nonetheless can still be funny sometimes. I’d make a maximum size male norn, then outfit him in all of the pink and frilly stuff (kind of like what Wooden Potatoes did), just to make other players uncomfortable and start conversation.

Its old school funny. I used to do the same thing in City of Heroes and Phantasy Star Universe. Just run around in a speedo and be awkward as possible, and you’ll make friends surprisingly quickly.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Actually the developers have stated that the Asura do in fact have gender identity found commonly among most races, some would even argue a little more strictly than other races, why do you think they even differentiate between genius and geniusette? The developers are just too lazy to make two armor sets for them :P The Charr on the other hand have deliberately abandoned gender dichotomy to differentiate their culture from that of the patriarchal flame legion.

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

I don’t see what’s wrong in asking for a non skimpy version of the armor.
I’d have bought that Phalanx armor on my female characters if it wasn’t so kitten different from the male counterpart. They just seem like two completely different armor sets. The male is clad in heavy armor while the female has open spots everywhere.

Essentially this. Bought it for my femasura thou.

I’m in favour of no more Phoenix/Phalanx armours or more choice. Or, if they already make a good looking functional heavy set, like banded or Order of Whispers set, stop ruining it with stupid boobplates/boobwindows.

As someone who bit a little of 3d modeling, everything begins with one base rig, usually male, and it’s easier and less annoying to shape female form from it that make a completely new female set.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

(edited by Marge.4035)

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

Yeah, it comes back to the male = default/standard, female = non-standard problem, and all the derivative issues that causes. I’d honestly rather see more time spent on making the armours suit the races properly than the continued effort that clearly goes into gendering the armour when it only gets seen on 3 of the races at all.

HarlequinWild.4359

“MUH FEMINISM!”

Haters gonna hate

Why can’t I have my male character look like a crossdresser then? Seriously…?

I fully support male characters having the option to wear female clothing. I can’t see why on earth that would be a problem. Dark Souls did a great job in that respect.

There are plenty of options out there for female characters to dress appropriately.

Assuming appropriately = unsexualised in this context then yes, you’re right. That’s one of the fantastic things about GW2.

HarlequinWild.4359

Was thinking the same why is that everytime a women start a tread by mention that she is a Women. Like it give her more power to be heared.

just ask for more armor and some which the style u want. I dont see why u try look it bad when females look sexy in compare to other games is GW2 a church anyway …

I don’t fully understand your argument and don’t really know where to start with a response.

HarlequinWild.4359

I’d honestly rather see more time spent on making the armours suit the races properly than the continued effort that clearly goes into gendering the armour when it only gets seen on 3 of the races at all.

That would be cool – if species was more important to a character’s identity and choice of clothing than gender.

Posted by: AwkwardStarfish.1827

AwkwardStarfish.1827

I like your addition to the OP, it really shows that it is possible for the male armor to look good on the female frame. Just a little bit of reskinning might be needed so that it really fits. Some people still seem confused as to what the issue is here, so perhaps put a line-up of all the skins from the light starter to show the difference.

Defualt Male: http://gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-light-stand-start-male.jpg
Default Female: http://gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-light-stand-start-female.jpg
New Female after editing: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/144945/alternateDesign.png

This is NOT an issue of “this lady is showing too much skin, cover it up!” – this issue is about the huge differences between the male and female armor types. HarlequinWild is merely making it look like the armor is actually from the same set. If you’d rather the edits go the other way and make the male armor look like a frilly skirt and top, I’d be all for it – as long as the people wearing the armor look like they are wearing something from the same armor set!

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Amen.

They really need to have “alternate” looks for gem store sets. It’s fine if you guys want to release “practically nude” armor every time, but at least give us an option to have a more covered up(ie: male) variant.

Case-in-point: the male Phalanx variant is BALLER…whereas the female variant is…not only not unified(from a design standpoint), but it covers hardly anything.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

I wish there was a lot more female armor in the game that wasn’t skimpy, with unnecessary boob windows here and there (looking at you, heavy Whispers armor that I would love to wear on my guardian, but that boob window … I just can’t). Alternatively, at least introduce undershirts to the game. This would fix a lot of the skin-showing problems already.

Secondly, please, please, please, more feminine armor for female Asura (and Charr). Not skimpy, not sexy. Feminine, girly, frilly and fun. The prettiest my Asura can look is when she’s wearing her Wintersday dress, because that’s pretty much the only item where the Asura girls can get to wear the female version. And it’s beautiful. Please, please, more of that.

I also really don’t understand why in many cases the male and female armor look like completely different armor sets. Isn’t that actually more work for the designers? Just keep the armor very closely together in terms of looks and theme. Making them look very different is just creating lots of problems and making players unhappy. I bet almost everyone with a male (or fem Asura / Charr) character was super disappointed when they saw the “male version” of the Phoenix armor in the gem store. That armor really shouldn’t even have that name, there is nothing phoenix-like about it. Why couldn’t the males get feathers too? Why did they get a completely different, pretty much universally deemed inferior design?

Same with the Phalanx armor. One could argue that both the male version and the female version look good in their own way, but they look nothing alike. Just release them as different sets, with male and female versions of both sets. That way female characters could also wear the kitten looking “male” phalanx set, and male characters along with female Asura and Charr could also wear a battle-dress. Win-win.

(edited by Awbee.8405)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I wish there was a lot more female armor in the game that wasn’t skimpy, with unnecessary boob windows here and there (looking at you, heavy Whispers armor that I would love to wear on my guardian, but that boob window … I just can’t). Alternatively, at least introduce undershirts to the game. This would fix a lot of the skin-showing problems already.

Secondly, please, please, please, more feminine armor for female Asura (and Charr). Not skimpy, not sexy. Feminine, girly, frilly and fun. The prettiest my Asura can look is when she’s wearing her Wintersday dress, because that’s pretty much the only item where the Asura girls can get to wear the female version. And it’s beautiful. Please, please, more of that.

I also really don’t understand why in many cases the male and female armor look like completely different armor sets. Isn’t that actually more work for the designers? Just keep the armor very closely together in terms of looks and theme. Making them look very different is just creating lots of problems and making players unhappy. I bet almost everyone with a male (or fem Asura / Charr) character was super disappointed when they saw the “male version” of the Phoenix armor in the gem store. That armor really shouldn’t even have that name, there is nothing phoenix-like about it. Why couldn’t the males get feathers too? Why did they get a completely different, pretty much universally deemed inferior design?

Same with the Phalanx armor. One could argue that both the male version and the female version look good in their own way, but they look nothing alike. Just release them as different sets, with male and female versions of both sets. That way female characters could also wear the kitten looking “male” phalanx set, and male characters along with female Asura and Charr could also wear a battle-dress. Win-win.

While i don’t agree a rework on existing armor because there are actually enough non revealing female armor. I do however, agree that for future armor design, male and female version should make consisant. At the moment some armor skin are designed with a specific gender in mind, then roughly make an ugly version for another gender.

For example i personally like revealing female armor but phalanx female armor is very ugly.

HarlequinWild.4359

I like your addition to the OP, it really shows that it is possible for the male armor to look good on the female frame. Just a little bit of reskinning might be needed so that it really fits. Some people still seem confused as to what the issue is here, so perhaps put a line-up of all the skins from the light starter to show the difference.

Defualt Male: http://gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-light-stand-start-male.jpg
Default Female: http://gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-light-stand-start-female.jpg
New Female after editing: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/144945/alternateDesign.png

This is NOT an issue of “this lady is showing too much skin, cover it up!” – this issue is about the huge differences between the male and female armor types. HarlequinWild is merely making it look like the armor is actually from the same set. If you’d rather the edits go the other way and make the male armor look like a frilly skirt and top, I’d be all for it – as long as the people wearing the armor look like they are wearing something from the same armor set!

Thank you

I was trying to show what it would be like to have the toggle on the trousers, but I was trying to do it quick which is why it kind of ate the midriff too.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Truth be told, something like this is actually fairly unnecessary due to the ability to transmute the look of one item onto another.

HarlequinWild.4359

Truth be told, something like this is actually fairly unnecessary due to the ability to transmute the look of one item onto another.

You can’t transmute the male-look armour onto the female-look armour. And it still doesn’t solve the problem of the starting light armour being somewhat alienating for some players, or the ultimate expression of a female light armoured human (in the form of the tier 3 cultural armour) being a bikini and sarong with no alternative.