[Suggestion] Fishing!

[Suggestion] Fishing!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

It’s me again, and yes it’s about fishing again. I can’t stop thinking about it.

I have a phased fishing implementation suggestion! Played some minecraft and thought – how hard could it be to implement fishing like this? Shouldn’t be too too hard right? I mean, basketbrawl.

So here are my thoughts on what a starter Phase 1 very basic implementation could be!

1. Mechanics: just like in minecraft. You equip a rod, you cast, it bobs up and down every 5-7 seconds, you have to right click – boom fish.
- won’t get too boring as you get something very often
- as far as bots go – I’m not an expert, but lets make rewards such that even if we cannot detect all botting, it doesn’t really matter; You fish by standing on a non-water space, and casting the rod into a water space (so basically anywhere there’s water and a shoreline/little island);

2. Rewards:
2.1 JUNK . junk junk and more junk
- The idea is you can fish out any odd item, and sell it as junk to the vendor. It’s soulbound (for now that’s all you can get)

2.2 Account bound Fishes:
- not used in any new recipes
- go toward some simple collection counter
- once you get a huge number of these you get a title Fish Lover or something

3. Fishing rods:
- Toy on gemstore for 1000 that per cast eats a Bloodstone Dust :P (or similar overflowing item) . Items caught with this rod don’t count toward achievement, just junk to sell to the vendor
- Craftable fishing rods, throughout each of 6 crafting tiers; things you catch with these count toward collections/achievements (so achievement is phrased: catch 5000 pufferfish with a starter fishing rod):
– First phase just gives the starter fishing rod, Novice Huntsman, and on each of the 5 starter maps you can purchase a recipe from a fishing vendor!
– The heart fishing vendor also offers bait you have to use! Worms
– Eg: Queensdale fisherman by the dam; Ascalon the fishing tar lake; Wayfarers you can go to either the bear heart, it has a fisher nearby, or the frozen fishing holes up north; Azura land I don’t remember anything fishing related but I’m sure there’s a suitable body of water – how about that krait infested lake with azura krew that sells tonics? And for the Grove – the island of the Soundless? :O

4. You can only fish on the starter maps for now. Or maybe anywhere but later the other maps would give better fishes

5. You get experience each time you catch something

6. Fishing rod that’s not from gem store breaks after 250 casts

That’s it.
You won’t have any economy impact because it’s junk; give it at a low rate so it’s less money than you get if you farm mobs; junk profit will be offset by bait cost, and the endless fishing rod will eat bloodstone dust => who won’t like that? :P You can add more items it can eat too

This’d have the benefits of new players discovering this little useless activity and going oh let me get Huntsman and craft this fishing rod just for fun

Yes I know not everyone likes fishing, bah! But this is my biggest dream to have the ability to fish in GW2 :P I can’t help it :P

Phase 2 would add further tier fishing rods, more collections, maybe even masteries, and start adding recipes that use actual fish

Phase 3 would be to add an Aquarium craftable item for the guild hall to fill with fishes/sharks/other water creatures, rare decoration fishes to fish for in various content throughout the game (fractal? raid? lol), and fishing boats: so now you can also fish out on the waters
This would enable such thing as fishing boat skins in the gemstore

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Posted by: Sundra.7602

Sundra.7602

This is a great idea. Not sure about the fishing rod consuming bloodstone though.. we already have an item for that and it doesn’t seem fishing related at all

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

i would really love to see fishing in gw
and maybe mini-battles too?

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I can dive into the water with a speargun, trident or a spear, and kill a deadly man-eating shark. Why would I want to stand still with a rod for the same thing?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Amaranthe.3578

I can dive into the water with a speargun, trident or a spear, and kill a deadly man-eating shark. Why would I want to stand still with a rod for the same thing?

cuz its different,its a variation of gathering
you might not like it but many people would
its just something chill extra to do

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

So, you started another thread on the very same subject?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

No, I have created a thread with my suggestion/ideas on a simple implementation which wouldn’t take a lot; if i go posting this in my previous thread I’ll get slapped with – you’ve resurrected an old thread offence (as far as my previous experience goes, I think this is a thing); this thread is a different topic – implementation ideas

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Please stop, the horse’s corpse doesn’t deserve this kind of abuse.

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

No, I have created a thread with my suggestion/ideas on a simple implementation which wouldn’t take a lot; if i go posting this in my previous thread I’ll get slapped with – you’ve resurrected an old thread offence (as far as my previous experience goes, I think this is a thing); this thread is a different topic – implementation ideas

The thread necro “offense” is for posts that have been dead for months-to-years. Your other thread is only 2 weeks old, so it’d be fine to just post in that one.

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Amaranthe.3578

anet will never do it

[Suggestion] Fishing!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

cuz its different,its a variation of gathering
you might not like it but many people would
its just something chill extra to do

I may have needed to phrase my point properly:

Why would my character (not me as a player) who can dive under water indefinitely and has the power to take on sharks, multiple krait and waves of undead in the water want to dangle a rod over the side or in a hole?

What I mean is, ArenaNet don’t just implement things into the game for the sake of implementing them, there’s always some lore or back-story added to any type of addition to the game, from the Bazaar Festival (leading to Sanctum Sprint) to the story of HoT leading to the revenant and Guild Halls.

I don’t really think ArenaNet will want to add something just because players like it or because “other MMOs” have it. It has to make sense within the world around us. NPCs who’s story isn’t them being a warrior might fish, but not a hardened Pact Commander who has recently killed two elder dragons.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]