[Suggestion] Gift of Battle acquisition

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

The same could be said for all the HoT stuff you have to do for the t2 legendaries. The time sink for them far outweighs anything you have to do for GoB.

Not entirely true. I finished Astralaria’s requirements in way less time than it took to plod through Gift of Battle. The financial cost for ascended materials on the other hand… But there’s no real comparison there.

Shows how much you know, you get badges from Achcievement Chests and From the Currency converter [citation needed], you use those badges to buy WvW items when the WvW Big Spender Daily is active, which means you never have to leave WvW Spawn to get a GoB…

And one last time the amount of time any non PvEr has to spend in PvE is ridiculous 20+hrs for just the GoE not to include all the Collection items and Currencies from PvE compared to 3-4 hrs of what a PvEr has to do if they just play WvW or just skipping WvW and taking the long route of WvW big spender.

Shows how much you know, Achievement Chests are a limited resource and I’m already well past the point on AP that grinding new chests isn’t worth the time. I wish I’d gone and bought a few GoB before they swapped its acquisition to the cursed track. And don’t give me that “3-4 hrs” malarkey. I spent well over 10 hours of soul-crushing boredom, chasing mute commanders and getting rolled by zergblob gameplay.

Point of note:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Badge_of_Honor
Not to doubt personal experience, but there is no indication that Badges come from loot boxes that aren’t WvW participation.
And if you’re talking about: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Memory_Gobbler
Wrong again. Even touching it requires https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Skirmish_Claim_Ticket and only spits out garbage, as noted: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Timeless_Bag_of_Items

Maybe the wiki needs an update, but right now, doesn’t look like getting Badges happens without participation, so the point stands.

And one last time (haha not really), if WvW/PvP folks want alternative methods to doing boring, grindy world completion, petition for it. ANet might listen to a well-formed request.

Do a little more research buddy, would give your arguments more weight, like I said the converter provides a way for BoH since it gives Box of WvW Supplies which gives WvW experience which gives BoH on WvW rank up oh no those pesky little facts, and just because you don’t like the Achievement Chests for BoH hat doesn’t mean they don’t give them, Smh lol and if you are a PvE player you should have quite a lot stored up since you wouldn’t be spending them on anything else really, and if you are then do it when the Big Spender is the Daily.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ley-Energy_Matter_Converter
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Karmic_Converter
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Box_of_WvW_Supplies
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_Experience

And one more time Anet has already made their stance very clear on GoB and GoE/Legendary weapon acquisition.

And one last time no one has to do WvW for a GoB.

And just because it took you 10 plus hrs for GoB means you weren’t actively pursuing it since it used to only takes 8.5 hrs max (before the new Pip system) now it’s considerably less since Skirmish rewards provide even More Reward track XP. to complete the reward track, pesky thing called Math confirms this that same pesky thing confirms it takes 3-4 hrs if you really want it to get a GoB all you have to do is maintain Max Participation and use all the free boosters the game offers.

There you go multiples ways to get the BoH to never have to play WvW to get the GoB, and all you have to do is PvE, while WvW/Pvp players still have to do PvE and I bet well over 20+hrs for the GoE/GoM. The facts are the facts, you can’t fight them because you don’t like them.

/gg
#inb4otherexcuses

(edited by Sly.9518)

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

It’s tedious for me as well, per se, as I can’t see the excitement of WvW. But I have found a nice WvW community with really cool people, so the conversations and laughter make it a much less tedious task and even fun every now and then. I recommend you do the same. It takes about six hours to fill the reward track (with GH boost and WvW boosters).

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

And one last time (haha not really), if WvW/PvP folks want alternative methods to doing boring, grindy world completion, petition for it. ANet might listen to a well-formed request.

Why do you think I suggested (and it has been suggested countless times before) a merchant that lets you trade a Gift of Battle for Gift of Exploration and vice versa? While I don’t mind doing either myself (I enjoy WvW and PvE very much for that matter) it would satisfy both those in the pve camp, who hate wvw, and those in the WvW camp, who hate pve.

I like the elegance of this idea.
ANet, can we get on this?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Interesting! I suppose because it was a “WvW” box, I just sort of blanked out of wanting it. I’ll spread that to my guild and beyond.

And one more time Anet has already made their stance very clear on GoB and GoE/Legendary weapon acquisition.

And it’s still the wrong stance, but whatev. Again, it’s not healthy for WvW to bring in people who want nothing to do with it. The conversion rate will probably never be enough to justify it.

And just because it took you 10 plus hrs for GoB means you weren’t actively pursuing it since it used to only takes 8.5 hrs max (before the new Pip system) now it’s considerably less since Skirmish rewards provide even More Reward track XP. to complete the reward track, pesky thing called Math confirms this that same pesky thing confirms it takes 3-4 hrs if you really want it to get a GoB all you have to do is maintain Max Participation and use all the free boosters the game offers.

Grats for telling me about my own experiences. Use that psychic power to win the lottery next. My time got split between the before and after of pips being added. And thank goodness for those pips and chests! The back quarter of my Gift running went by
in a single, excruciating barrage of commander teleports and ungluing zergs. So if I match the pace now, it’d probably still be … 8 hours? 12? It really depends on who’s commanding. I mean, if WvW were fun, I wouldn’t mind, but it isn’t so . . whatev.
Hopefully the converter strategy spreads like wildfire, so WvW doesn’t have to complain about queues anymore.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Why is this still an issue?
-Designate 1 day@weekend and sacrifice it to God of Nerd

I want a statue to God of Nerd in my Guild Hall.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

A couple of themes keep cropping up, let me address those quickly.

1. Work for it.

I’m not asking for it to be free, I’m asking for it to be possible in a game mode I like. That it should require effort/time/etc. is a given, no matter the specific mode.

2. WvW players have to do PvE stuff

If they have the same problems with PvE as I have with WvW, then surely it is in their interests that this change happens while also encouraging continued inclusiveness of PvE-centric rewards into WvW. I think some of the people arguing for the Gift of Battle to stay WvW-only because of world completion are completely missing this. You, too, could play the game the way you like for the stuff you want.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Play WvW for however much time you need to hit tier 6 participation and finish the easy dailies. After that, go afk to do something actually entertaining. Once in a while check back, pick an easy objective and cap it to halt participation decay. If you can, avoid switching maps when you have the outnumbered buff. Bigger pip rewards lead to faster skirmish chests that come with extra reward track progress.

Don’t forget to dismiss those annoying squad join requests.

If you can’t find enjoyment in the game mode, look for it in gaming the system.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It’s a legendary weapon that the Gift of Battle is used for. That should require play in all areas that it can be used in.

And I’m not a fan of WvW and I don’t do PvP.

The only way it can currently be bypassed is by buying a generation 1 legendary off of the trading post.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A couple of themes keep cropping up, let me address those quickly.

1. Work for it.

I’m not asking for it to be free, I’m asking for it to be possible in a game mode I like. That it should require effort/time/etc. is a given, no matter the specific mode.

Right, you’re asking for it to be free of WvW. You still haven’t addressed why you think ANet keeps changing the requirements so that WvW is required.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

dace.8019

Right, you’re asking for it to be free of WvW. You still haven’t addressed why you think ANet keeps changing the requirements so that WvW is required.

ANet’s intent isn’t wholly relevant. A lot has changed within GW2 (including the availability of a lot of PvE-only items that you couldn’t get just by playing WvW) in order to better cater to the customer. Intentions, demands and priorities shift and change.

This is just a reasonable request by a customer, ANet can take it or leave it. I wanted to add to an existing sentiment (this has been complained about before), which is the kind of thing ANet try to be aware of.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ANet’s intent isn’t wholly relevant. A lot has changed within GW2 (including the availability of a lot of PvE-only items that you couldn’t get just by playing WvW) in order to better cater to the customer. Intentions, demands and priorities shift and change.

This is just a reasonable request by a customer, ANet can take it or leave it. I wanted to add to an existing sentiment (this has been complained about before), which is the kind of thing ANet try to be aware of.

I was open to the possibility that there might be something new to this idea, other than what we’ve seen in the past. I wonder why you aren’t open to the possibility that there’s a good reason why the Gift of Battle is now a strictly WvW requirement.

ANet’s intent is always relevant. It doesn’t make your root complaint irrelevant, it just provides context for the state of the game. If their decision was arbitrary (as it sometimes is, six of one, half a dozen of the other), then sure, let’s get them to rethink. But if they keep doubling down on the same idea… then we should try to address the reasoning, otherwise they’ll keep making the same decision for the same reason.

In this case, they have changed the require for GoB at least twice. At first, it was just 500 Badges of Honor (and some silver). In 2014, they added a rank requirement (r14). More recently, they turned it into a reward track, which requires lots of time (via Daily Big Spender, i.e. just Badges of Honor) or actual WvW participation (5-12 hours, depending).

Why is that? Did some dev wake up on the wrong side of the bed and decide, “hey, let’s make things harder for PvE-only fans” ? Or perhaps they thought that active WvW should be a requirement for obtaining the highest tier of weaponry shininess in the game? (If so, I wonder why active PvP wasn’t also added to the mix.)

I’m really not trying to dismiss the request out of hand — I’d be happier if I could spend my reward track progress on something other than GoB. But I find it hard to accept the idea that ANet’s intent should be ignore when suggesting a change.

Or put another way, if we want ANet to change something, surely it’s more effective for us to understand why they set it up this way in the first place, so we can try to address their concerns for the the health & success of the game.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

I agree with you dace.8019, I have screws in my fingers so mobility in WVW or PVP is really difficult for me physically and I to prefer PVE content not PVP play style. I don’t believe WVW and PVP are end game content for everybody. I think they should look at an alternative way to get this for players who are not PVP inclined like a repeatable achievement track of some kind would be cool. I also don’t like the aggro and abuse I get in WVW and being kicked out of squads because Im a ranger or because I die a fair bit and not as good as other seasoned PVP players, sure they don’t know i have a physical disability but I liked GW1 cause the player base was friendly and helpful and in WVW and PVP they are abusive and toxic if your not super great at it. I’m on my 6th legendary now and I really would love a legendary back pack and armor but you have to be quite good at maneuvering for raids and fractals so that’s out of my reach for now sadly.
I have enjoyed the odd run if you get a nice group of people but that does not happen very often unfortunately.

You’ve echoed my recent sentiments perfectly. Thank you for this.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

dace.8019

-snip-

Don’t make these misunderstood assumptions about what I might or might not be open to, or conclusions that I can draw about the designers intent. My point that they’re irrelevant stands because of the position the request comes from.

As a gamer who appreciates the craft behind the medium, I can infer much from the changes made to the Gift of Battle’s acquisition. It’s interesting on a number of levels. That’s one side. The customer side of me isn’t interested – they want what they want.

Imagine ANet is a chef and I’m a regular customer. I enjoy much of the menu, but not all. I sometimes try a specific expensive dish, but it has an ingredient I don’t like. I try it anyway, but I still don’t like that single ingredient. Next time around, I order the same thing, because the dish otherwise is great. But I request the ingredient not be included (or changed). The gastronomer in me might appreciate the chef’s intent – the ingredient might bring some acidity or spice or texture to the dish. That, however, isn’t as important to me as my enjoyment of the dish, so I ask that they change it.

Seera.5916

-snip-

Don’t make these misunderstood assumptions about what I might or might not be open to, or conclusions that I can draw about the designers intent. My point that they’re irrelevant stands because of the position the request comes from.

As a gamer who appreciates the craft behind the medium, I can infer much from the changes made to the Gift of Battle’s acquisition. It’s interesting on a number of levels. That’s one side. The customer side of me isn’t interested – they want what they want.

Imagine ANet is a chef and I’m a regular customer. I enjoy much of the menu, but not all. I sometimes try a specific expensive dish, but it has an ingredient I don’t like. I try it anyway, but I still don’t like that single ingredient. Next time around, I order the same thing, because the dish otherwise is great. But I request the ingredient not be included (or changed). The gastronomer in me might appreciate the chef’s intent – the ingredient might bring some acidity or spice or texture to the dish. That, however, isn’t as important to me as my enjoyment of the dish, so I ask that they change it.

And sometimes due to how things are prepared, they are unable to remove ingredients. Such as in a soup. Or anything that would need to be added well before the person who will eat it orders it.

Sly.9518

Op I already gave you the way to acquire the GoB without ever stepping foot pat WvW Spawn. You don’t have to participate at all in WvW to get the GoB if you don’t want to. Get the Karmic Converter and the Ley Energy Converter and choose the WvW Supply Boxes and spend the BoH when’s WvW Big Spender is the Daily.

If you want it faster than that then play the actual gamemode that is the intended path to acquire the GoB, which can be completed within 3-4 hrs if you optimize your time. Less than 8 if you don’t.

To get specific items means doing the specific requirements to get said items, this is shown hroughout every aspect of the game, if you don’t meet the requirements you don’t get the rewards, it’s pretty simple design philosophy shown in almost every video game ever.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

-snip-

I’m all for putting requests out there. My problem is when a request is rejected or they say ‘no’ to a request, people cannot accept those answers and throw a fit.

I agree with IWN that understanding why a company does something is important. Many people rail against something without ever considering or caring why something has been implemented.

Another problem I have with some requests, even the ones here is that it seems that people just are unwilling to do what it takes to accomplish something. I will never be a fan of the “cater to me” attitude. I’m not saying you are one of them, I’m speaking generally.

To many people think ‘play your own way’ means that they get to tailor the game to suit them. What it really means is “play how you want to get the things we make available under the conditions we have set.”

tl/dr: Requests: OK. Hate and negativity to the answers to the requests: NOT OK.

dace.8019

And sometimes due to how things are prepared, they are unable to remove ingredients. Such as in a soup. Or anything that would need to be added well before the person who will eat it orders it.

True – but we both know that this particular request can be done with relative ease. So I’m not entirely sure what your point is.

Sly

If you want it faster than that then play the actual gamemode that is the intended path to acquire the GoB, which can be completed within 3-4 hrs if you optimize your time. Less than 8 if you don’t.

And what about all the PvE stuff that WvW players can get without doing PvE? By your logic, this should be removed? Or are we just ignoring that? Also, you haven’t read the multiple times where I state that I’ve already got the GoB before I even posted.

Sly.9518

True – but we both know that this particular request can be done with relative ease. So I’m not entirely sure what your point is.

Sly

And what about all the PvE stuff that WvW players can get without doing PvE? By your logic, this should be removed? Or are we just ignoring that? Also, you haven’t read the multiple times where I state that I’ve already got the GoB before I even posted.

Oh you mean like the GoE and the GoM and all the PvE collections solely for Legendary Weapons? Or how about all the Skins specific to PvE like Silverwastes Bioluminescent Skin? Or how about the Legendary armor Skin? Or all of the Elite Spec skins, or all the PvE Exclusive Aura items? Or do you mean Like the Fractal skins normal and Gold? Or do You mean like the Raid Exclusive skins multiples per Boss?

Yeah PvE doesn’t have any exclusive items at all, none.

And again You can get the GoB without ever doing any WvW so what’s the problem? But no matter what players have to do PvE for GoE and GoM and he Collections without any other means of Acquisition.

I’ll wait.

dace.8019

Sly

I didn’t say PvE doesn’t have exclusives – you’re inventing statements then arguing about them.

Also, you’re not fully understanding what it is I’m asking for. I’m asking for one ingredient to be available outwith WvW that isn’t walled off behind a massive, obtuse vendor time-gate. Something equivocal. It’s not a prestige item, after all, it’s just a small part of one.

You’re talking about items that are prestige items, demonstrating mastery (or at least successes) in their game modes. A Gift of Battle isn’t a prestige item that I can wear, equip – and even if I could, would it mean I was an proficient WvW player? No. It’s just a thing that goes into the mystic forge and, as you point out, because it’s so easy to get, doesn’t mean anything on its own.

Sly.9518

Sly

I didn’t say PvE doesn’t have exclusives – you’re inventing statements then arguing about them.

Also, you’re not fully understanding what it is I’m asking for. I’m asking for one ingredient to be available outwith WvW that isn’t walled off behind a massive, obtuse vendor time-gate. Something equivocal. It’s not a prestige item, after all, it’s just a small part of one.

You’re talking about items that are prestige items, demonstrating mastery (or at least successes) in their game modes. A Gift of Battle isn’t a prestige item that I can wear, equip – and even if I could, would it mean I was an proficient WvW player? No. It’s just a thing that goes into the mystic forge and, as you point out, because it’s so easy to get, doesn’t mean anything on its own.

You post was implying WvW had access to Every PvE item which I showed is by no means close to true, since PvE has the largest amount of Exclusives compared to any other gamemode. And WvW has Access for the most part skins from Abandoned Content that aren’t prestige items in the slightest.

GoB is an ingredient to a Prestige item that by Anets own design and philosophy to take Participation in multiple game modes, and it takes the least amount of time to get compared to any other item required in making the Legendary weapons only 3-4hrs.

And it’s not even exclusive to WvW as I had proven, so you can play the game mode as intended and get it in less than 4 hrs or take a lot longer never stepping foot past Spawn in WvW.

Yet one more time WvW and PvP players are always forced into Pvp for the PvE exclusive items.

If players don’t want to do the required content/requirements then they don’t get the rewards. Funny how that works.

Like you said it’s so easy to get, so what’s the issue? It’s 3-4hrs at the fastest 7-8 hrs at the slowest to acquire, both of which pale in comparison to the 20+ hrs of GoE and GoM let alone any PvE collection requirements, which the majority of Legendaries Weapons require.

And to boot the GoB is not Exclusive to WvW.

(edited by Sly.9518)

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The entire purpose of the gift was to get players to do WvW and was probably why they moved it to a reward track rather than bought with badges.

Reward track progress can be gained by doing many of the WvW dailies which require no enemy player interaction. Killing a dolyak, taking camps, and so forth are really no different than PvE dailies since you’re fighting NPC’s.

Good luck killing Dolyaks or doing camps without being swarmed by daredevils to death.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The entire purpose of the gift was to get players to do WvW and was probably why they moved it to a reward track rather than bought with badges.

Reward track progress can be gained by doing many of the WvW dailies which require no enemy player interaction. Killing a dolyak, taking camps, and so forth are really no different than PvE dailies since you’re fighting NPC’s.

Good luck killing Dolyaks or doing camps without being swarmed by daredevils to death.

I’ve had no issues when I was solo roaming. It helps to pay attention to your surroundings before engaging anything.

Seera.5916

Sly

The thing is:

Anet’s desire to get people to play WvW to get the legendary is akin to asking for something taken out of soup. It’s not very likely to be possible.

ANet’s made decisions to get players to play WvW in order to get the Gift of Battle since the game launched.

It started off with only needing 500 badges of honor and required playing WvW and succeeding at it because only in getting loot did one get badges of honor.

Then achievement point chests came in had badges of honor in them. ANet probably thought players getting the badges of honor would make players play WvW after getting a taste for the rewards within.

After a while, they added a minimum rank requirement. But given you could buy WvW experience from laurel vendors this wasn’t a very good method either.

Then they made it into the reward track which requires you to play WvW to progress.

And before anyone says anything, I don’t think WvW was removed from map completion to appease the PvE players who didn’t want to do WvW. I think it was removed due to them adding in a couple of maps on rotation and making WvW way too complicated to deal with for map completion purposes. The fact that it was what PvE’ers wanted was just pure coincidence.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

I’ve never had any interest in WvW, and only used the battlegrounds for banking/crafting or map completion back in the day. On my quest for The Shining Blade, WvW was what I dreaded the most. However, after finding a good commander and the right build, I must say I’m enjoying it immensely.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I’ve had no issues when I was solo roaming. It helps to pay attention to your surroundings before engaging anything.

Yeah, clearly a thief has no means to stealth from 1500+ yards and just steal/signet their way unto you stealth with basilisk up.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

WvW is a PvE map. The mobs are just more complicated.

False. WvW is PvP, with a small scattering of elements that are PvE.

And, I agree with the OP that it’s absurd to require PvP play to get a legendary weapon.

And, for the record, it’s just as absurd to require GoE from WvWers.

(edited by Daddicus.6128)

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

You want a shiny legendary weapons? Put the effort in instead of moaning about it.

^This. It’s just a skin we’re talking about. If you want that skin, you’ll have to work for it.

If it’s “just a skin” why is it so much effort? Just sayin’.

But for Gift of Battle specifically, there’s just a huge chunk of resentment for the acquisition. I don’t want to be in WvW. WvW people don’t want me in WvW. (It’s true, they’ve said so. A lot.) So why is it considered a good game design decision to force it for “just a skin”?

Brilliantly said.

dace.8019

if you don’t like it tough, it’s how the game has been for 5 years,

I’m glad you said this, because it means I don’t feel the need to respond to your posts beyond this last one.

Luckily I’m appealing to more balanced sensibilities than some of this forums regulars.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Again you can get it without ever participating in WvW or leaving Spawn, the option is available as I outlined multiple times above, if you don’t like it tough, it’s how the game has been for 5 years, I wish GoE still required WvW Map Completion just to watch the salt flow.

It…it hasnt been that way for 5 years though….

the first two GoB i purchased i did it without doing anything in WvW. The first one it was a good thing that i didnt need to do WvW to get it because my server was dead

I dont have a problem requiring WvW to be played to get it at all. Its not like WvW players have to PVE if they want a legendary…Oh…wait…yes yes they do.

Hell, i remember when WVW mapping was required for world completion, that was a chore, and no, it doenst need to go back to that either. Its practically impossible for the server im on to ever take a keep. So thankfully they changed it.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Wvw is not pvp.
Or you dont know what pvp is.

Sly.9518

Again you can get it without ever participating in WvW or leaving Spawn, the option is available as I outlined multiple times above, if you don’t like it tough, it’s how the game has been for 5 years, I wish GoE still required WvW Map Completion just to watch the salt flow.

It…it hasnt been that way for 5 years though….

the first two GoB i purchased i did it without doing anything in WvW. The first one it was a good thing that i didnt need to do WvW to get it because my server was dead

I dont have a problem requiring WvW to be played to get it at all. Its not like WvW players have to PVE if they want a legendary…Oh…wait…yes yes they do.

Hell, i remember when WVW mapping was required for world completion, that was a chore, and no, it doenst need to go back to that either. Its practically impossible for the server im on to ever take a keep. So thankfully they changed it.

You can get the GoB without stepping past Spawn on any WvW map…… there are tings two items called Karmic Converter and Ley Energy converter that allow this, like I said above no matter what Players have had the option ever since Achivement chest were ever introduced that PvE players never have to participate in WvW in one form or another.

And where did I ever say WvW players never have to do PvE to get a Legendary? Oh wait I have stated multiple times that they have to put more investment into gamemodes they don’t enjoy to get them. 20+hrs just for the GoE and GoM on top of all the Required Collection items from PvE. Vs 3-4 hrs minimum for GoB 8hrs tops.

WvW players have only 1 option to acquire either GoE and GoM and that’s actually playing PvE they have no other way to completely bypass that requirement.

@dace you aren’t, you have multiple ways to acquire GoB one of which cuts out WvW completely, this is a simple case of someone not wanting to do required content to achieve an item that’s required in what they want, what’s reasonable about that? Especially when the requirement is a tiny fraction of effort and time.

Dante.1763

You can get the GoB without stepping past Spawn on any WvW map…… there are tings two items called Karmic Converter and Ley Energy converter that allow this, like I said above no matter what Players have had the option ever since Achivement chest were ever introduced that PvE players never have to participate in WvW in one form or another.

And where did I ever say WvW players never have to do PvE to get a Legendary? Oh wait I have stated multiple times that they have to put more investment into gamemodes they don’t enjoy to get them. 20+hrs just for the GoE and GoM on top of all the Required Collection items from PvE. Vs 3-4 hrs minimum for GoB 8hrs tops.

I think the point of what i wrote went right over your head in your rush to defend yourself.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Seera.5916

I think the point of what i wrote went right over your head in your rush to defend yourself.

If his post didn’t answer the point of your post, then the point of your post is buried so deep that I can’t see it. Because I don’t see how his post didn’t address the point of the post.

Dante.1763

If his post didn’t answer the point of your post, then the point of your post is buried so deep that I can’t see it. Because I don’t see how his post didn’t address the point of the post.

Oh. My point was that WVW players have to go into PVE, it should also be vice versa. which my post already stated, in his rush to defend himself however he either misread it, or didnt understand what i had put there, and so he felt the need to completely restate what i had written, in a much longer write up.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

In a perfect game, players should be able to play the mode(s) they enjoy – a game is for enjoyment after all.

It doesn’t speak well of any game mode if the developer has to gate certain items behind a game mode just so people will play it. People should play that mode because they fine it entertaining.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Seera.5916

Oh. My point was that WVW players have to go into PVE, it should also be vice versa. which my post already stated, in his rush to defend himself however he either misread it, or didnt understand what i had put there, and so he felt the need to completely restate what i had written, in a much longer write up.

Sly had never said that WvW players didn’t have to go into PvE, though. So your point was something he already knew and had already stated so his post did get your point. You just missed [one of] the point[s] in a previous post of Sly’s.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It doesn’t speak well of any game mode if the developer has to gate certain items behind a game mode just so people will play it.

Is that why Legendary items require the Gift of Battle? I was under the impression that the reason was that the items are legendary and that they are meant to demonstrate active participation in multiple aspects of the game.

Seera.5916

In a perfect game, players should be able to play the mode(s) they enjoy – a game is for enjoyment after all.

It doesn’t speak well of any game mode if the developer has to gate certain items behind a game mode just so people will play it. People should play that mode because they fine it entertaining.

There should be some items that are only available if you play certain modes in a game or a certain combination of modes.

The legendary tier items are definitely ones that can be be locked behind playing a certain combination of modes.

Especially since they are tied with Ascended gear which can pretty much be earned doing the content you prefer doing.

Djinn.9245

It doesn’t speak well of any game mode if the developer has to gate certain items behind a game mode just so people will play it.

Is that why Legendary items require the Gift of Battle? I was under the impression that the reason was that the items are legendary and that they are meant to demonstrate active participation in multiple aspects of the game.

I don’t know where it officially states that, but IMO Legendary items should demonstrate a certain level of participation in the game, not necessarily in any particular game mode(s). And if what you say is true of Legendary Weapons, why is it not also true of Legendary Armor? There is no consistency behind the various highest level of gear to indicate that one should participate in the entire game. And again, a game is for enjoyment not for “homework” – IMO a Legendary item should require a lot of participation, but in the mode(s) you enjoy playing.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Sly.9518

I don’t know where it officially states that, but IMO Legendary items should demonstrate a certain level of participation in the game, not necessarily in any particular game mode(s). And if what you say is true of Legendary Weapons, why is it not also true of Legendary Armor? There is no consistency behind the various highest level of gear to indicate that one should participate in the entire game. And again, a game is for enjoyment not for “homework” – IMO a Legendary item should require a lot of participation, but in the mode(s) you enjoy playing.

Bolded see here

And WvW is part of the game, it’s to show more than just Participation, but I guess people are used to getting rewarded for just participating.

The Legendary Armors are completely separate since the original design for Legendary Armor was only Raiding was to have it, so they made it solely used to PvE and it’s the only one with a Unique skin, while WvW and PvP got essentially Beta Legendary Armor with no Unique Skins, only functionality. And both of those take a lot longer to acquire than the PvE Legendary Armor. Pvp being the longest to acquire at fastest acquisition taking at the minimum 6 months and that’s if a player maxes out tickets in the first week of the 3rd season they do. Since Tickets are capped at 100 per season.

(edited by Sly.9518)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Participation in multiple aspects of the game have nothing to do with that word. It’s just what ANet decided legendaries should represent, apart from just buying them for a hefty sum of gold. It doesn’t cover the “why” of it. Why should legendaries represent that?

Stimulating people to play game modes they otherwise wouldn’t want to could very well be the answer to that question. We just don’t know.

Seera.5916

Because it appears that Legendary Weapons showcase that you’ve played each mode, but Legendary Armor shows that you’ve mastered each mode. As there is a PvE method, a WvW method, and a PvP method.

PvE’s method requires raiding, which is the pinnacle of knowing your class and boss mechanics and team play.

WvW’s method requires ranking up in WvW as you need 250 proofs of heroics. The Badges of Honor and Spirit Shards can be earned outside of WvW.

PvP’s method requires participation and ranking up in the PvP leagues. Which means either a long time of play at the lower ranks, or being successful and to some extent lucky and climbing the ranks consistently. I don’t know if it’s possible to get enough of the tokens in a single PvP season.

Posted by: ardasica.4531

ardasica.4531

The only way to get a Gift of Battle (required for Legendary crafting) is via a WvW reward track.

Please change this, preferably by adding an additional method that can be done by playing exclusively PvE content; be that fractals, open world, dailies, achievements, crafting, dungeons, world bosses – whatever works.

Actually I would really like a return to the badges. Yeah, yeah I’m still a bit salty about that as I had been sitting on the Badges to get a second GoB and missed the news of the update.
I have no interest in going back to WvW as a regular thing which I would have to do now to do the Reward Track and I have a bunch of badges that are more or less useless at the moment. Good times.

I also didn’t mind the WvW completion requirement for GoE even though I am primarily a PvE player. Back when servers meant something, we would do runs to help PvE players get that completion. But brave new world and all that.

SF
OTR

Illconceived Was Na.9781

@Djinn: ANet’s never stated why they are so adamant about including the Gift of Battle and requiring WvW participation. You’ve stated it was to force people to play WvW; I’ve guessed (and said it was a guess) that there was another reason, i.e. to demonstrate participation in multiple aspects of the game.

It’s fine to disagree with ANet’s decision. I was commenting about trying to justify that disagreement based on a assumption of their motivation.

If it were left up to me, I’d either skip any non-PvE requirements or require more of them: if you have to WvW to get the Gift of Battle, why not require PvP to get the Gift of Glory? And if getting people to try other modes is the reasoning, why not require adventures for all Generation 2 legendaries? (And sure, I’d also make it more consistent for Legendary Armor: if that’s meant to be a raid-exclusive reward, then make the requirements exclusive to raiding.)

Fortunately for us all, I don’t work at ANet.

Djinn.9245

If it were left up to me, I’d either skip any non-PvE requirements or require more of them: if you have to WvW to get the Gift of Battle, why not require PvP to get the Gift of Glory? And if getting people to try other modes is the reasoning, why not require adventures for all Generation 2 legendaries? (And sure, I’d also make it more consistent for Legendary Armor: if that’s meant to be a raid-exclusive reward, then make the requirements exclusive to raiding.)

If I worked at Anet, I would have suggested that a Legendary item can be created by using a sufficient quantity of currency from any of the game modes. Perhaps you turn in X Skirmish Claim Tickets, or X (new PvP currency), or X Fractal Relics, or X Magnetite Shards, etc. for a Legendary Mote (or whatever). X Legendary Motes + Precursor = Legendary item.

Sly.9518

@Djinn: ANet’s never stated why they are so adamant about including the Gift of Battle and requiring WvW participation. You’ve stated it was to force people to play WvW; I’ve guessed (and said it was a guess) that there was another reason, i.e. to demonstrate participation in multiple aspects of the game.

It’s fine to disagree with ANet’s decision. I was commenting about trying to justify that disagreement based on a assumption of their motivation.

To your first point, they have said why they include WvW for crafting Legendary Weapons and it’s to show Mastery of Gw2 as a whole. This has been repeated in posts see my link above as well as in AMA Streams.

So yes officially Anet has gone on record multiple times saying why, and this is reinforced by them keeping them tied to WvW.

And Anet has went on record to state that Ascended is there to fill the gap for people solely playing the content that they enjoy.

No guess work needed no nefarious reasons. If only people researched more into the reasons already laid out on multiple occasions.

And the reason they moved away from collections for the New Gen 2 Legendaries was that it took too much Development time and put an indefinite hold on Legendary weapon development, as stated multiple times by Anet. So now the New Gen 2 Legendary Weapons have simple Recipes so they can actually release them in a timely manner and avoid the fiasco of HoT launch and Gen 2 Legendary Weapons.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I’ve said it before, “playing the way you like” does not mean tailoring the game to fit every person in the universe’s personal preferences.

It really doesn’t matter if any of us like this or that concerning legendaries. The path to obtaining them is what it is. You can play however you want to get that legendary, but there are requirements. Play an ele or necro. Buy mats or farm them. Bottom line, however, there are hoops we all have to jump through to get what we want. If you don’t want to meet those requirements, then I guess you don’t get what you want.

I don’t care for WvW or PvP, but I’m not complaining about doing what I need to get what I want.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah, clearly a thief has no means to stealth from 1500+ yards and just steal/signet their way unto you stealth with basilisk up.

If they see you then you see them. They could perma stealth the entire time but that’s not what I have been seeing.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The only way to get a Gift of Battle (required for Legendary crafting) is via a WvW reward track.

Please change this, preferably by adding an additional method that can be done by playing exclusively PvE content; be that fractals, open world, dailies, achievements, crafting, dungeons, world bosses – whatever works.

Why would this be a good thing for the game? Why do you think ANet changed the requirements for the GoB more than once, each time making it less convenient for those who are strictly PvE?

The requirements have always been either Badges or the Reward Track. Adding badges to the achievement chests made it more convenient for PvE only players, not less.

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

I am mostly a wvw players. I only ever so often do fractals or run a bit of SW……
So… can I buy gift of exploration for karma or something? ktnx.

No, seriously, get over it. It takes less than 6hrs to get it with +50% boost from gobler and 10% from guild hall.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.