Suggestion: Gift of the Professor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’d like to suggest that a certain GW1 feature be added to GW2, specifically, an NPC who functions similarly to Nicholas Sandford.

Every day, this NPC and his Dolyak companion will show up at a randomly selected point of interest somewhere in the world. He will accept 50 of a random crafting ingredient (raw or refined) and will give a Gift of the Professor in return. You can receive up to 5 gifts per day (i.e. you can give him up to one full stack of the trade item, in increments of 50 units).

The “random” ingredients he will accept should be limited to ingredients whose supply is so high that it is trading at vendor price.

When opened, the Gift of the Professor will grant many fun and useful items like boosters, rare crafting materials, BLTC keys, and a change at exotic loot (including precursors!)

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

Won’t happen, doesn’t make gem store money.

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

Sadly, Bagel is right.

We aren’t in Guild Wars.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

mtpelion.4562

Maybe not, but we do have an over-abundance of some materials, making them almost worthless. This suggestion would build in an avenue that can be kept in the game but tweaked as needed to control these over-supply situations better.

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

That would be……. Awesome.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

there’s no ‘under-supply’ of gems to be bought though ;D

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If those were the only possible rewards I wouldn’t bother.

• I have never bought boosters and I only use the ones I get for free because the only other option is to throw them away (which I have done with some of the more useless ones).
  • Black Lion Keys basically translates to yet more boosters.
  • And rare crafting materials and exotics are easier to get in other ways, like doing world bosses.
Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Atronach.6832

Atronach.6832

Maybe we should pay 500 gems instead yo

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

And this isn’t a Suggestion forum.
Only because Anet removed temporarely the Suggestion Sub Forum, while they are working on some Forum Changes, doesn#t mean that people should start now to turn the Game Discussion Sub Forum into a Suggestion Forum

Can’t people just wait a few days, until ANet has made their changes on the Forum their were talking of and which has been officially announced a few days ealier?

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I thought it was a permanent change, given the statement that they’d rather have suggestions in the relevant forum rather than isolated in their own section. Thus the devs most able to respond will have an already-filtered list of suggestions.

So right now, yes, this is a suggestion forum for things that don’t fit into specific categories such as PvP, race, WvW, etc.

As to the OP, it could be interesting but would this NPC accept things from your bank or do you have to load up on stacks of stuff to wander the world looking for the NPC?

mtpelion.4562

Only because Anet removed temporarely the Suggestion Sub Forum, while they are working on some Forum Changes, doesn#t mean that people should start now to turn the Game Discussion Sub Forum into a Suggestion Forum

Can’t people just wait a few days, until ANet has made their changes on the Forum their were talking of and which has been officially announced a few days ealier?

Suggestions is GONE. Never to return. The intent is to have Suggestions in the relevant sub-forums. It’s not a design choice that I like, but that’s what we’ve got.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

I can’t get behind this. They released that BL Package (which is overpriced and offers mostly things you don’t need or can get for free) which actually nets them, in most cases, your hard earned money. An NPC accepting mats doesn’t.

Also as somebody mentioned, you’re inviting even more unfavorable RNG gambling, and that makes baby Quaggan sad.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Actually, that’s EXACTLY what the removal of the Suggestion sub-forum means. ArenaNet has stated as much.

Posted by: Ragnarawk.8697

Ragnarawk.8697

Who else read the title of this thread and thought: “Good news everyone!” in the Professor’s voice?

I also support this idea. Good times.

(edited by Ragnarawk.8697)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Nonsense, only because Anet removed the cluttered full Suggestion Forum into the Archives, doesn#t mean, that they can’t add to the forum said “sub forums” that are relevant for their topics to give the forum and all the suggestions more structures.

It makes no sense to remove the Suggestion Area to leave the Forum then with Areas Discussion, Lore, Craftign and the like..

If Anet lets the forum as it is just right now, the game Discussion Area would just turn into the exactly same thing, the Suggestion Fourm was… a place full of thousabnds of non guided unconstructed suggesstions with absolutely 0 overview wheere suggestion regarding all kinds of things were mixed all together.

If ANet wants to put more structure into this to reach the goal, that each suggestion will land there, where it matters, there have to be structures for that.

Game Discussion stands still for discussing things about the Game, not making Suggestions, its as the description says a place for “general discussion”.
General means, it can be about everything and discussions about everything leads only into chaos, not into organized and classified topics where people can discuss suggestions and where you can quickly find something via a search function, which needs to get fixed first, before more Sub Forums for specific areas make sense to get implemented.
Because thats what I understood, what is all the sense behind this move, to make this huge beast that was the Suggesstions Forum, more overvieweable and easier to read and follow as also easier for the Devs to partake in the suggestion threads, what was basically impossible for them, because of daily hundreds of people making douzens of new suggestions flooding that single forum, that you could follow that thread, whats going on in there.
A suggestion being made, could have been the next day already like 5+ pages back somewhere in the oblivion of the area cause of so many people poisting in there…

And I simply fear, this will happen with this area here also, if all people start now to take the Game Discussion Area for their new sandbox to flood it with Suggestions daily
If people want to make desperately suggestions, why don’t take people themself right now some time and try to take part on whats actually going on here for improving the game by partaking in the CDI Threads. That are actually the threads, where your suggestions about some given topics are heard and read the most by the Devs.

I’m sure, once the point has come, where the forum gets improved more and all of those announced Forum Changes have been done, that we will surely see some day a Suggestions Forum back, but one, that will be improved with some kind of Sub Forum Feature, where when you click on its icon, will appear a new side of the Forum, that will show you alot of new Sub Forum Icons related to many more categorized areas where people can make suggestions for in a much much much more clear way for the devs and also for all of us.

A clear structured Suggestions Forum, where you could see then Sub Areas like:

- PvE
- WvW
- PvP

first and once you click one of those areas, you get to see the next more detailed level of sub aras for direct specific things, for example in PvE:

- Personal Story
- Living Story
- Class Mechanics
- Dynamic Events
- Audio
- Dungeons

and so on ..

Thats what I want to see and what I guess, what we might see coming with those Forum Changes, because then we would have a clear structured forum frame, that makes it alot easier for us to place our suggestions really into clear areas, that will be really related to what we suggest and the related Devs can alot quicker overview those suggrestions about topics they are responsible for to participate maybe in the discussions that are made in their relevant suggestion areas.

So you might see more oftenly some red mark postings also in the suggestions areas, because the suggestions would be from that point on much clearer structured for them instead of that they have to waste first alot of time reading through hundreds of pages of suggestions, until they find something, that is related to the area a Dev is responsible for …
—-

Actually, that’s EXACTLY what the removal of the Suggestion sub-forum means. ArenaNet has stated as much.

Could you link me that statement please, must have overseen/read it. Thanks

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

Lets not forget that Nick was the first introduction of time gating/ince per account per day into the Guild Wars universe. He’s the source of our sufferings!

Posted by: Ragnarawk.8697

Ragnarawk.8697

I’m afraid you have overlooked this. Mods have stated that suggestions go in thier relevant sub-forums, and suggestions such as this go in GW2 discussion. I’m not able to find the thread where they said that atm, but I willing to bet you will see mods pop in from time to time confirming this.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Could be the way to make currently useless “trash” item trophies more useful.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

mtpelion.4562

Ask, and ye shall receive:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Fourm-changes-Good-bad/first#post3466073

Please note that any further discussion of whether this thread is allowed is off topic.
Let’s discuss the suggestion, not the forum it is in.

I can’t get behind this. They released that BL Package (which is overpriced and offers mostly things you don’t need or can get for free) which actually nets them, in most cases, your hard earned money. An NPC accepting mats doesn’t.

Also as somebody mentioned, you’re inviting even more unfavorable RNG gambling, and that makes baby Quaggan sad.

This suggestion would allow you to gamble with your stacks of worthless items. It gives you a way to convert things you don’t want or need and can’t really sell into a chance at something valuable. It’s basically gambling for free.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’m behind this idea. I’m constantly getting leather scraps that I can’t sell on the TP and other materials there’s just no good use for. The game has gold sinks. Let this guy be a surplus material sink, just like Orrian boxes are (were) for karma.

Gift of the Professor could, rather than being another RNG box (which I’m kinda sick of), be a (I shudder to type it) new currency item (cringe). Then we can choose to either turn in mats to him or spend the GotPs buying stuff from his dolyak supplies. He’s a trader, a pawn broker, a collector, a dealer. Gets rid of the RNG and maybe his items are just flavor items. Not BLC boosters, but things like a couple common minis, some things like our kites/balloons, unidentified dye, etc.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)