[Suggestion] Have all events show up on map

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’ve been thinking about this for awhile now and figured that I would put it out there even if it doesn’t gain any traction.

Hop onto any map and you may quickly see someone asking if there are any events up. This is very common on maps which have the daily event completer. It also appears to be one of the gripes that I see as players sometimes have difficulty locating events even with the content guide.

Speaking of the content guide, it’s not perfect. Currently there isn’t a way to filter to only show events. If someone hasn’t done map completion, those items may show up and interfere with locating events. At the moment, there’s another thread requesting such an option to be added.

My idea on a solution would be to extend the existing range of when events show up on your map to include the entire active map. If I’m in Queensdale standing outside Divinity’s Reach, I’d be able to see every active event on the map whether it be SB or that one to defend the beehives.

Additionally this could just be activated with a toggle in the menu in case not everyone wants it. A range indicator, like we currently have for WP’s and PoI’s, could also be worth adding to help with maps that have verticality such as TD and the newest LS map.

I’m not sure what system resource limitations there may be and if any of these would not make this feasible. As this could potentially benefit a large number of players, it may be worth to consider adding as a QoL feature at some point in the future.

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

I have thought of this too, if only, to show events for toons that have completed that map.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

This was suggested a million times at launch, and died down over time.

But so far as I remember the developers have made no indication they intend to make this change, nor have they made any justification for why it shouldn’t be made. It seems like such an obvious quality of life change that I can’t even fathom why the game didn’t launch that way.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There was a long ago post where a dev said that the reason was (as I remember it) so people don’t try to get to far away events and the event ends as they get there.

Personally I disagree with that rationale. I’d rather see the events map wide (it makes the map more lively, gives more choices and I think it’s more frustrating to be searching while knowing invisible events are out there). I can always watch the map for a new one to start, waypoint and run to it. That’s better imo than wandering around hoping to encounter an event.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But so far as I remember the developers have made no indication they intend to make this change, nor have they made any justification for why it shouldn’t be made. It seems like such an obvious quality of life change that I can’t even fathom why the game didn’t launch that way.

If you are referring to the Content Guide, I don’t think any changes were requested at launch as the Content Guide did not appear until September of 2014’s Feature Pack with the New Player Experience.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I really do dislike how you can see an event on the mini map and scroll around to find, but if you open up the main map—nothing to see. Use the mini map and off you go. Bad mechanic imho

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I disagree with showing events for the whole map. I rather enjoy wandering around and then coming across an event that I didn’t think I would hit. But the range at which they show up to you could definitely be increased substantially

Posted by: Kalocin.5982

Kalocin.5982

I disagree with showing events for the whole map. I rather enjoy wandering around and then coming across an event that I didn’t think I would hit. But the range at which they show up to you could definitely be increased substantially

I’d be on board with a larger range

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Would be very handy for maps like these season 3 maps are where you need certain events for achievements / collections. Now it’s kinda required to camp the event locations for unknown time until it happens to start.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Look at the map for episode 3. You see events all over, not just ones you are right next to. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you are referring to the Content Guide, I don’t think any changes were requested at launch as the Content Guide did not appear until September of 2014’s Feature Pack with the New Player Experience.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

Also at launch the game did show all events.

Well … I have no way of verifying if it was actually literally all but I know there were times where the map was basically covered in event circles. Practically speaking that might as well be all even if it was not literally all.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I asked for this feature several times since launch, and gave suggestions of organizing events as well, but I have yet to see proof anet has seen any of the topics at all

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I asked for this feature several times since launch, and gave suggestions of organizing events as well, but I have yet to see proof anet has seen any of the topics at all

I’d guess part of that comes from the tone, suggesting that they owe you a personal response for making suggestions about how to “improve” their game while not having any skin in the game. You know they are, like, hiring people to work full time on making it better, right?

Anyway, you won’t get proof they saw your idea, and even if something similar is implemented, no credit … if they saw it or not. (In part because when you suggest things here, you explicitly give them to anet, and when you suggest them anywhere else the developers are required to not look at all…)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Not exactly, those big orange circles and several other accompanying icons that that appear on the map to mark current nearby events, as part of the content guide, were part of the game since launch. And people requested to see those markers from anywhere on the map, instead of only nearby your character, long before they were integrated in to the content guide. If I remember correctly, if you read the patch notes for the NPE release, or one of the patches following it, it says they refined them to more accurately show the radius and current placing of events, but they were in fact in the game long before the NPE and content guide.

Come to think of it why the heck didn’t they just make this change in the NPE patch in the first place?

Also at launch the game did show all events.

Well … I have no way of verifying if it was actually literally all but I know there were times where the map was basically covered in event circles. Practically speaking that might as well be all even if it was not literally all.

That doesn’t make any sense, there was no content guide at launch, but the content guide at launch showed events at any range? Which is it?

There was the bare bones of a content guide at launch, really just a handful of map markers thrown together with no name or any overarching system, and that system even then only showed events within a certain range of your character. And people did frequently complain about that range.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I never used the content guide as for me it ruins exploration. I can’t imagine why this needs to be a thing anyway.

For me the content guide already goes against the whole idea of going into a map and finding things as they happen.

Then again, right now they haven’t really made any events worth mentioning lately and its more a set of encounters. Plus they sometimes call them out with a map wide message where im usually thinking, I dont care AND I cant see where it is so better leave me alone.
Its not working for me that such events should say something.

In HoT you at least has event chains you were able to see if you were in that specific section.

But yeah as long as you can toggle it off, I dont care for it. Though I suppose at such a point Im more likely just disadvantaging myself as im already not finding events anymore as everyone else is using the content guide maybe? thus ruining my own experience anyway.

Hmm I dont think its necessary personally.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I’d guess part of that comes from the tone, suggesting that they owe you a personal response for making suggestions about how to “improve” their game while not having any skin in the game. You know they are, like, hiring people to work full time on making it better, right?

Anyway, you won’t get proof they saw your idea, and even if something similar is implemented, no credit … if they saw it or not. (In part because when you suggest things here, you explicitly give them to anet, and when you suggest them anywhere else the developers are required to not look at all…)

rather antagonistic, I just meant that I’ve been mentioning it since 2012, and during AMA’s, but since no dev has even talked about event accessibility in general, I doubt it’s on the table at all. It’s not that they didn’t reply to the topic, but that they’ve never talked about event accessibility in general

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Until they came with the content guide. Obviously.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

Though it doesnt seem to be that much they said about the content guide regarding events. Mostly that it serves to direct play not show you where everything is.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)