[Suggestion]Helping downed/defeated players!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

Helping downed or defeated players

It would be really useful, IMHO, if we were able to notify a downed or dead player that we are coming to help! So many times I have pinged the mini map where a player has fallen in battle (this is primarily PvE), ran all the way to their aid just to have them poof right in front of me because they’re looking at the World Map for the closest WP to port to.
Even if we were able to see who it is by name, we could shoot them a whisper real quick.

Contributing comment from Hamfast.8719:

You should be able to right-click his icon on your mini-map, and choose to either send him a quick generic message to the effect of “A noble soul is coming to your rescue!” or to initiate a Whisper.

On HIS mini map, he should then be able to see a DOT indicating your position. Amongst other things, this helps the downed player see whether or not it is a serious rescue attempt, or just somebody tolling to see how long he’ll lie there quietly awaiting a rescue that never comes.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

i’d love that. nothing like going out of your way to help someone only to have them go poof at the last moment

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

there is notification: “a noble soul is healing you”

I know ause actually I was in situation when I was defeated and when looking on map for wp that message popped

but also in some cases folks just ignore – like me upon first login after ancient karka event – I logged out on the battlefield of ancient karka and next login was when they reomved lvl upscaling on tha location – so login looked like “boom downed→boom defeated” and there was no way to get outta there alive when revived so I ignored folke ressing me and wp’ed to LA – there is only an example of situation when you don’t want to be ressed in that current place – but there is an info that someone is reviving you.

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Eight O Eight.8257

there is notification: “a noble soul is healing you”

I know ause actually I was in situation when I was defeated and when looking on map for wp that message popped

but also in some cases folks just ignore – like me upon first login after ancient karka event – I logged out on the battlefield of ancient karka and next login was when they reomved lvl upscaling on tha location – so login looked like “boom downed->boom defeated” and there was no way to get outta there alive when revived so I ignored folke ressing me and wp’ed to LA – there is only an example of situation when you don’t want to be ressed in that current place – but there is an info that someone is reviving you.

You missed what I was saying. We need some form of notification ability BEFORE we get to the downed person and then attempt to revive them.

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

and what would that give actually?
seen much folks that just ignored defeated player lying nearby and passed through…. :/

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

seen much folks that just ignored defeated player lying nearby and passed through…. :/

I believe the OP meant that we should be able to send a signal to the downed/dead player that we are on our way to help them when we intend to do so.

I would love that.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

only when it comes to corpse-leechers ruining events. And rightfully so. I have not seen people ignoring defeated players outside of mass battles a single time.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I support this idea

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

a slight mod on the minimap so that when you click the defeated player’s icon it will ping them that you are coming rather than the usual map ping would do the trick

Eight O Eight.8257

a slight mod on the minimap so that when you click the defeated player’s icon it will ping them that you are coming rather than the usual map ping would do the trick

Yes, exactly something like this.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Helping downed or defeated players

It would be really useful, IMHO, if we were able to notify a downed or dead player that we are coming to help! So many times I have pinged the mini map where a player has fallen in battle (this is primarily PvE), ran all the way to their aid just to have them poof right in front of me because they’re looking at the World Map for the closest WP to port to.
Even if we were able to see who it is by name, we could shoot them a whisper real quick.

Contributing comment from Hamfast.8719:

You should be able to right-click his icon on your mini-map, and choose to either send him a quick generic message to the effect of “A noble soul is coming to your rescue!” or to initiate a Whisper.

On HIS mini map, he should then be able to see a DOT indicating your position. Amongst other things, this helps the downed player see whether or not it is a serious rescue attempt, or just somebody tolling to see how long he’ll lie there quietly awaiting a rescue that never comes.

Would love this!!!
It’s impossible to know if others are near you in this game, unless you can actually see them. or happen to be in a squad.

Even a toggle of purple dots or something for players on your mini map would be helpful.

Posted by: Cerberus.4315

Cerberus.4315

:( I have no problem with downed players, but I don’t think we should be able to rez the dead, with maybe dungeons as an exception. How are players supposed to get better at the game and learn to stay alive if other players can rez them, its not like the game is hard and with some events like Tequatl and The Great Jungle Wurm dead players can ruin it for all.
If the player doesn’t have the money to use the wp they could be given the option to go to the nearest unlocked major city.

For the last 6 months I haven’t rez’ed the dead except in instances and will not be rez’ing them ever again, players need to learn from there mistakes and not to rely on others.

THE DEAD SHOULD PAY

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

Yup…do this! It is fun and also sometimes useful

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Posted by: Iluzija.1798

Iluzija.1798

Know whats even better? When Im just about to finish casting my res signet and they move out of the area. Happens with thiefs, eles and mesmers ToT

Taygus.4571

:( I have no problem with downed players, but I don’t think we should be able to rez the dead, with maybe dungeons as an exception. How are players supposed to get better at the game and learn to stay alive if other players can rez them, its not like the game is hard and with some events like Tequatl and The Great Jungle Wurm dead players can ruin it for all.
If the player doesn’t have the money to use the wp they could be given the option to go to the nearest unlocked major city.

For the last 6 months I haven’t rez’ed the dead except in instances and will not be rez’ing them ever again, players need to learn from there mistakes and not to rely on others.

THE DEAD SHOULD PAY

right, because dying isn’t enough.
You think that if they have to pay(which most currently do anyway) they’ll suddenly become better players?

I’m all for not rezzing people in large scale events. (like teq/wurm/LS) and getting them to wp. This because the time it takes to a rez a defeated player is time that there’s less dps by 2. If the person dead just wp’s, it’s only less by one and not for long.

But most people do not rez others in these cases and thats fine.

Not rezzing someone because you think wp’ing costs is going to make them play better is hilarious.
People don’t want to die, they don’t think..ah it’s ok I’ll just run into the mob here and hope someone turn up and helps. (Proven by that most people wp as it is, paticularly as they don’t know if someone is coming or not).

Cerberus.4315

Taygus, No need to get ur Knickers in a twist fella, its my opinion, ur free to hav urs so why am I not

Posted by: Kobi Beef.3895

Kobi Beef.3895

I like this too, too many times I’m trying to complete the daily reviver achievement and these inconsiderate people just vanish away without thinking about my time constraints for finishing 5 dailies now that they have been nerf to force you to finish this if you are pve only. If I send a notification, it should lock the player down from porting to any of the waypoints till revived

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

This would be helpfull in some Jumping Puzzles where im at the first few jumps and see someone falling to the start dead. By the time im carefully getting down to help them up, they poof out of existence as if the bowels of hell devoured them, and i failed to save them from oblivion. Depressing.

Also i hate it when they port away when i want my daily reviver. :P

Cerberus.4315

Loads of places to get daily reviver achievement, Thaumanova Reactor is where I go for it, loads of dead npc’s there and real quick revives due to low health

Taygus.4571

Taygus, No need to get ur Knickers in a twist fella, its my opinion, ur free to hav urs so why am I not

you can have your opinion, but at least have it founded on something.

What makes you think that not being able to rez players would make people play better?

Cerberus.4315

what makes u think rez’ing them will make them better?

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

This is a great idea, and something that would continue to promote the type of community we want in the game.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I would use something like this. There have been several times where I have done precisely what the OP is talking about. I see someone go down on the map, and start heading over to help, but don’t make it to them before they die. Just as I get to them to rez or even just after I start rezzing, they waypoint out. Some people miss the ‘a noble soul is healing you’ pop up (I know I have). Might be the color of the text vs the background of the map they are scrolling over. Not sure.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Taygus.4571

what makes u think rez’ing them will make them better?

it’s hardly gonna make them worse.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

On the other hand, I’d prefer people to raise/rez dead/downed players in Teq and Wurm more, instead of waiting for them to WP. DPS goes down by less the fewer people are out of the battle, and, from what I’ve seen, those two battles aren’t entirely about DPS anyway. And, “mass rez” such as a warrior’s Battle Standard get even more players up and able to fight, so taking one guy out of the fight long enough to throw down a banner or whatever that cool thing Guardians do gets five or ten people back into the battle far faster than waiting for them to WP back.

Also, mechanics that encourage people to help each other recover from mistakes are far better than mechanics that cause people to despise, condemn, and ostracise others. This ain’t a MOBA. Can we please send the toxic community back to LoL and DotA?

Taygus.4571

On the other hand, I’d prefer people to raise/rez dead/downed players in Teq and Wurm more, instead of waiting for them to WP. DPS goes down by less the fewer people are out of the battle, and, from what I’ve seen, those two battles aren’t entirely about DPS anyway. And, “mass rez” such as a warrior’s Battle Standard get even more players up and able to fight, so taking one guy out of the fight long enough to throw down a banner or whatever that cool thing Guardians do gets five or ten people back into the battle far faster than waiting for them to WP back.

Also, mechanics that encourage people to help each other recover from mistakes are far better than mechanics that cause people to despise, condemn, and ostracise others. This ain’t a MOBA. Can we please send the toxic community back to LoL and DotA?

those “mass rezzes” only work on downed players, not defeated.

and from what I’ve seen people are fairly quick to rez a downed player, but defeated takes about the same as does for the person to wp. And it’s better to get people into the habot of wp’ing on bosses like these.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I agree with the OP, it is annoying when people WP when you are about to rezz them. Please give us some kind of feature to prevent this. In fact, get rid of that awful fullscreen world map and add something smaller instead so they can at least see what is going on around them while they look for a waypoint.

The world map is a huge cause of confusion especially In WvW, because you can have a whole group of people coming to rezz someone and they WP because they cannot even tell what is going on unless they are on Teamspeak or something.

I’ll rezz someone who is defeated whenever it is safe to do so, which is not usually in boss battles. With some bosses it can be done, but for others (e.g Fire Elemental, Inquest Golem, Tequatl, Three-Headed Wurm) it is far too risky. If I try to rezz during these battles, the first time I get attacked while rezzing the person I leave and never come back, because that’s just how it has to be until the fight is over.

Sometimes you get lucky and can rezz someone without getting attacked. In these cases you don’t go into combat mode and it is extremely fast.

I try to rezz downed players always. Even if it means buffing up and healing myself constantly until they are back on their feet. You lose far more DPS from letting a downed player get defeated than getting them up.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

My suggestion would be to add in some sort of death penalty back into the game. With the removal of repair costs I don’t think there is enough, especially in WvW. I died? Alright just let me insta-waypoint and run back. No big deal.

Why not add some sort of time delay after you die, where the dead person can’t waypoint for a short time? They could still be revived by allies, would even give friendly players that little extra time needed to get to the downed players location. I would appreciate it in both PvE and WvW.

I feel people would be smarter, more cautious in general about their gameplay this way. Its just a thought.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Eight O Eight.8257

My suggestion would be to add in some sort of death penalty back into the game. With the removal of repair costs I don’t think there is enough, especially in WvW. I died? Alright just let me insta-waypoint and run back. No big deal.

Why not add some sort of time delay after you die, where the dead person can’t waypoint for a short time? They could still be revived by allies, would even give friendly players that little extra time needed to get to the downed players location. I would appreciate it in both PvE and WvW.

I feel people would be smarter, more cautious in general about their gameplay this way. Its just a thought.

That’s a good idea. There should be a delay. And, like the diminishing effectiveness of attack after so many deaths, they could tack on more time: 1st = 8 second delay, 2nd = 12 seconds, 3rd = 15….and so on.

Still, on-topic, it would be really great to see some viable form of communication between live/dead players in regard to reviving/rezzing.