[Suggestion] Heritage armor in gemstore?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daedraz.1650

Daedraz.1650

Maybe this is just me being selfish, but I often find myself wishing that there was some other way to obtain heritage armor in gw2. Every now and then I see someone with an amazing armor cosmetic set up, and I go “Oh wow, that chest piece is exactly what I’ve been looking for,” only to find that the said armor piece is part of the heritage set. And I certainly have no interest in shelling out $19.99 for gw1, another $19.99 for the eye in the north expansion, and running around an empty game trying to do certain achievements for HoM points, just so I can obtain a few armor skins. Although I would be keen on buying certain heritage skins if they were ever featured in the gemstore.

I know the heritage skins are ANet’s way of tipping their hats to those who played gw1 and supported ANet as a company, and I certainly don’t mean to undermine the time and effort that those players sunk into gw1. But that being said, gw2 has been out for quite some time, and I honestly think it may not be a bad idea for ANet to feature heritage armor skins on the gemstore. I am confident that they would sell a lot better than some of those atrocious costumes that they have/had in gemstore.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Anet has said that HoM items will never be available from any source other than the HoM in gw1.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

No way.

Why should you be taken seriously when you come here and say you A] aren’t willing to purchase the game a lot of us and have and do what we did to get the skins and B] slap veterans in the face with your justification being the game has been out for some time C] also sit there and try to justify this lame idea by calling outfits atrocious.

(edited by CMM.6712)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

No. Just no. Play GW1.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Nope, I recently bought GW1 and all the expansions just to have something to work towards. It is a reward for accomplishments in GW1, not a reward for swiping the credit card.

Daedraz.1650

Anet has said that HoM items will never be available from any source other than the HoM in gw1.

Oh that is a bummer. I guess i’ll just have to deal with being 1% less fabulous while afking in divinity’s reach. Thanks.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

First line of your second paragraph is exactly why this should not happen. The HoM skins were advertised from the get-go as a thank-you to the GW1 vets, a signifier of time spent in that game. I don’t think all skins should be exclusive, no — Mad Memoires, for example, at the time that came out in the first GW2 Halloween, no one had any expectation it wouldn’t be back every year. But when a skin is designed as a marker of participation, be it HoM, the baseball cap for playing on vanilla launch day, legendary armor, pvp backpacks, etc, then one should meet the announced standards for obtaining it.

As to HoM, I did buy and play GW1 minimally after GW2’s launch. I don’t have very many HoM points because I don’t understand the game that well and my friends don’t want to run me through it any more, but take note: after GW2’s launch, and to this day, new players can get the skins via playing GW1. If you want those particular skins badly enough, you can do the same.

You might do better to ask for new skins that follow art design principles you like than to fixate on the old ones for which you aren’t willing to jump through the hoops.

PS: I’m not trying to protect my own snowflake status. On legendary armor, I won’t be getting it through raids, so those specific skins I will never have. If it’s introduced for crafting with different skins via methods similar to HoT legendaries, I likely will get those skins. On the PvP items, I’ll never get those no matter how pretty I find them because I just don’t enjoy PvP in the large doses needed. On the baseball cap, I’m all for baseball caps being introduced again, but not the one with the GW2 logo. That design was specific to joining the game at launch.

CMM.6712

Oh that is a bummer. I guess i’ll just have to deal with being 1% less fabulous while afking in divinity’s reach. Thanks.

Pretty sure no one will notice.

Posted by: Paralux.6714

Paralux.6714

No, I really like the fact that they’re only obtainable by playing GW1, among the various titles and pets. GW1 has so much interesting lore and I think everyone who plays and enjoys GW2 should try it out.

m e s m e r <3

Daedraz.1650

No way.

Why should you be taken seriously when you come here and say you A] aren’t willing to purchase the game a lot of us and have and do what we did to get the skins and B] slap veterans in the face with your justification being the game has been out for some time C] also sit there and try to justify this lame idea by calling outfits atrocious.

Sorry if my post has offended you. That was genuinely not my intention. I guess older folks like me sometimes severely underestimate how much video games/achievements matter to younger people. In my mind, it just did not seem like that much of a prickly subject- a select few armor skins (several of which you can automatically unlock just for buying gw1 and linking accounts) from an old game of the past that presumably not many people really care about when gw2 is around. But I guess that is a gross oversimplification and not well thought-out. Since I never played gw1 in the first place, it is fair to say I’ll never really understand what earning those skins mean. In that aspect i’ll certainly defer to the opinions of people who’ve actually played since gw1 and take my lesson. Thanks all.

CMM.6712

I’m older folk myself. GW1 is still a game which people play every day. The tone of your posts is offputting.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Fair enough no offence caused. But to put it into perspective, it would be like someone asking Anet to put legendary skins on the gemstore.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

Nope, It’s a marker for GW1 players who imported and should stay that way.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Make it cost 8000 gems, more expensive than buying GW1+eotm

it only needs 3 HoM points, you get those for free for just connecting accounts

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

6 points for a full set, actually.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I wanted the Heritage skins myself, so I went to look at what I’d need to buy. I ended up getting the Platinum Edition for $19.99, which includes Prophecies and Eye of the North. That is sufficient to get you access to HoM and work on HoM points. You get 3 points for linking your accounts, which leaves only 3 points more you’d need for the whole set.

You’ll have access to all 3 armor weights, thus gaining 3 skins, and it does not cost transmutation charges to transmute your armor with them. That makes it a pretty good deal IMO.

I’m having a bit of a tough time in the game, it’s so different to this game and others I’ve played, and so it’s slow going. I’m not going to push myself to try and rush it. I’ll play as much of it as I can take, not just for points, but I’m enjoying learning the lore basis of GW2 and meeting names I recognize from GW2.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

6 points for a full set, actually.

hmm you might be right, but you can get an additional 3 points in an hour or so, it does not get hard until after 30 points

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: UnfairOphelia.9763

UnfairOphelia.9763

I agree that Heritage Armor and Weapon Skins (and the HoM-exclusive pets, minis, and titles) should never be available for gold or gems in GW2, only through the player’s efforts in GW1.

I guess older folks like me sometimes severely underestimate how much video games/achievements matter to younger people.

I’m also an “older” gamer. I had wonderful times with my guild in GW1, and have fond memories of the hours spent earning those achievements. GW1 was my go-to game for many years, a place that felt like home (GW2 has taken over that role now). I would be incredibly sad if the HoM items were cheapened to simple credit-card purchases: when I use my Black Moa or Black Widow Spider pet on my Druid, or see that awesome Guild Warrior title, I get reminded of the past fun adventures.

You get out of a game what you put into it. For me, at least, achievements matter mostly because of the memories that come with achieving them.

Scribe and Executive Officer of Sognatori di Tramonto [DRMS] on Fort Aspenwood.
A proud altaholic and cartographer.